Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 is now Virgin Media Television

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Unsure about that to but they normally just ended up with a date.
    I would have understood the 20th of September because it's there 20th Birthday!

Also a Thursday - but I would have understood that date too.

Rebranding after exactly 20 years - as opposed to rebranding after 19 years, eleven months and ten days...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,367 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I read some somewhere that the X=factor is back the 1st.
    They might want to be changed over for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭roadmaster

What will the sports channel be showing apart from the soccer and rugby when it's on will we be looking at sports we never heard of as filler?

roadmaster wrote: »
    What will the sports channel be showing apart from the soccer and rugby when it's on will we be looking at sports we never heard of as filler?

I was thinking similar.
    What do the other sports channels show?
    Probably something similar.

I was thinking similar.

It might not be everyones taste but sky eir and now 11 show motor racing, tennis, cricket etc which leaves very little in the way sports for them to pick up as the rights are gone for most sports.

• Advertisement

roadmaster wrote: »
    It might not be everyones taste but sky eir and now 11 show motor racing, tennis, cricket etc which leaves very little in the way sports for them to pick up as the rights are gone for most sports.

I could get into motor sports again but I don't think I'd pay for it,

I could get into motor sports again but I don't think I'd pay for it,

Even it can be got free on C4, TG4 and freesports. It will be interesting to see what else they get. Maybe we could see more live AIL games, Gaa county games and league of ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I was thinking similar.

Knowing TV3, they'll be trying to shoehorn in anything from ITV Studios into the Sports Channel. Catchphrase episode with Chris Kamara, Tipping Point with Harry Redknapp, all Star Mr And Mrs with Harry kewell, The Cube with Mo etc.. I honestly wouldn't put it past them to start doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Ireland trains

Im fairly sure that on virgin media news there will be the colour white on the beams.
    Id say the intro might change as it is largley purple which it the TV3 colours and not virgin media

Im fairly sure that on virgin media news there will be the colour white on the beams.
    Id say the intro might change as it is largley purple which it the TV3 colours and not virgin media

Well, here's the trailer:

Of course, it won't be the first time TV3/VM1 have had a bulletin at 8pm...

• Advertisement

They're making it sound like News At 8 is the most amazing and innovative idea ever. Did they forget that they dropped it 20 months ago when Coronations Street and Emmerdale returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Ireland trains

And they havent mentioned that news at 7 is gone

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Unfortunately for what they are marketing as a premium sports channel (and charging non Virgin TV customers €20pm for the privilege) they are very very short of exclusive rights. They are building it on a UEFA football deal that is non exclusive - the Champions League and Europa League will also on BT Sport, the Nations League and European Qualifiers on Sky and ITV - and the latter doesn’t include any Republic of Ireland games.

icdg wrote: »
    Unfortunately for what they are marketing as a premium sports channel (and charging non Virgin TV customers €20pm for the privilege) they are very very short of exclusive rights. They are building it on a UEFA football deal that is non exclusive - the Champions League and Europa League will also on BT Sport, the Nations League and European Qualifiers on Sky and ITV - and the latter doesn’t include any Republic of Ireland games.

I wonder how familiar they are with the story of the ITV Sport Channel?

Launched in August 2001, as part of the relaunch of OnDigital as ITV Digital (remember the ads with Johnny Vegas and Monkey?), and built on a deal with the English Football League worth some £315 million - with the schedules dominated by action from what were then the First, Second and Third Divisions (now the Championship, League One and League Two, of course).

But OnDigital was already in trouble in 2001 - dogged by technical and security problems, and subscribers departing almost as soon as they had come - and the relaunch, as well as the huge bid for the Football League rights, could be seen as desperate throws of the dice. Indeed, several live matches on the ITV Sport Channel were watched by fewer people than were actually attending...

It was no surprise when ITV Digital went into administration in March 2002 (and was eventually liquidated), with the ITV Sport Channel closing two months later. The collapse cost 1,500 jobs and, of course, affected many of the Football League clubs, who were forced to make savage budget cuts and release many of their players.

The consequences of TV3's rebrand and Virgin Media Sport both failing (if they do) probably won't be *quite* as dire, but I still thought this story was worth telling.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They may have a passing familiarity with that story alright, they (in their previous incarnation as NTL) did carry that channel - the only other platform to do so - though it never made it to Ireland.

We don’t know how much TV3 paid for the Champions League. I’m assuming that, given it’s a non exclusive deal, they won’t have bet the house in the same way that ITV Digital (and Setanta UK, to whom nearly the exact same thing happened only seven years later did, albeit with the Premier League and the now defunct Scottish Premier League as creditors).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

icdg wrote: »

Yeah I'm a huge sports fan but they have nothing that would even remotely make me part with an extra €20 a month. Vast majority is available on other channels.

And so, here we are on the final day of TV3 and its sister channels before Virginisation.

One would think that everyone knows about the changes at this stage. Curiously, though, the TV3 site - including, of course, 3player - gives no indication of what's to come tomorrow.

The rebrand surely has to involve removing almost every trace of the TV3, 3e, Be3, 3News and 3player names from the site - and, of course, replacing the tv3.ie domain name. (I'm guessing Virgin Media will hold on to it for some time after they've replaced it, however - a WHOIS lookup reveals that it's not up for renewal until 30 September 2020.)

Some of the Twitter accounts for the channels and programmes *do* give some indication of what's to come, as their handles have already been changed:

https://twitter.com/VirginMedia_Two
    https://twitter.com/VirginMedia_3
    https://twitter.com/IrelandAMVMT
    https://twitter.com/ElaineVMT

As for what's happened on the channels so far today, Ireland AM was presented entirely from the garden, ahead of its move into a brand new studio - with former TV3 stalwart Sybil Mulcahy taking time off from editing EVOKE.ie to present. Later on, of course, we'll have the final 7pm and 10pm bulletins on Be3 - Virgin Media Two will itself have a bulletin at around 10pm each weeknight, branded as the Late News - and then the closedowns, and quite possibly the final outings for the "Three is a Magic Number" sequence, one of the last remaining elements from 1998. (It could be altered so that it refers to there being three Virgin Media channels numbered One, Two and Three respectively - but it must be said that the psychedelic visuals are showing their age...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

And so, here we are on the final day of TV3 and its sister channels before Virginisation.

One would think that everyone knows about the changes at this stage. Curiously, though, the TV3 site - including, of course, 3player - gives no indication of what's to come tomorrow.

The rebrand surely has to involve removing almost every trace of the TV3, 3e, Be3, 3News and 3player names from the site - and, of course, replacing the tv3.ie domain name. (I'm guessing Virgin Media will hold on to it for some time after they've replaced it, however - a WHOIS lookup reveals that it's not up for renewal until 30 September 2020.)

Some of the Twitter accounts for the channels and programmes *do* give some indication of what's to come, as their handles have already been changed:

https://twitter.com/VirginMedia_Two
    https://twitter.com/VirginMedia_3
    https://twitter.com/IrelandAMVMT
    https://twitter.com/ElaineVMT

As for what's happened on the channels so far today, Ireland AM was presented entirely from the garden, ahead of its move into a brand new studio - with former TV3 stalwart Sybil Mulcahy taking time off from editing EVOKE.ie to present. Later on, of course, we'll have the final 7pm and 10pm bulletins on Be3 - Virgin Media Two will itself have a bulletin at around 10pm each weeknight, branded as the Late News - and then the closedowns, and quite possibly the final outings for the "Three is a Magic Number" sequence, one of the last remaining elements from 1998. (It could be altered so that it refers to there being three Virgin Media channels numbered One, Two and Three respectively - but it must be said that the psychedelic visuals are showing their age...)

Why is Evoke all in capitals?

I'll be interested to see the documentaries they have planned on the 20th September for the TV3s birthday, and which shows they'll have for the Goggleboxers to watch.

It is sad to see the old TV3 going. It's hard to even remember that when it started that daytime had soaps like Family Affairs, Breakers, Sunset Beach along with Ricki Lake, Can't Cook Won't Cook and an hour of children's programmes on Gimme 3 presented by Hector and Clodagh. The prime time programming was light on Irish productions, but they had some pretty big US shows with Charmed, Buffy, Sex & The City, South Park, Seinfeld, Mad about You and Early Edition and a film premiere every Sunday at 9pm. In contrast to now, where you hardly see any US programmes across the 3 channels, and possibly only 5 films premieres so far this year.

Their reliance on ITV Studios programming and taking on Channel 6 and utvIreland stretched their programme catalogue too much which just gives us endless repeats. Nearly everything is repeated again within 7 days on the channel, which is pointless.

The lows of TV3 in my view was the whole Play TV, and Physics Live disaster. Also revealing Brian Lenihans cancer a day after Christmas Day through an exclusive news update. Their handling of some female presenters leaving like Grainne Seioge, Lorraine Keane and more recently Sinead Desmond were a PR disaster.

Odd decisions included setting Eamon Dunphys talk show directly up against The Late Late Show, which ended in disaster after 15 weeks. Even placing the News At 6 up against RTEs Six One was shelved after 8 months in 1999.

Anyway, here's to Virgin Media TV, where there will be 4 hours of The Chase, Tipping Point, Jeremy Kyle Show every day. Oh great. Bring back Sunset Beach....

iseegirls wrote: »
    I'll be interested to see the documentaries they have planned on the 20th September for the TV3s birthday, and which shows they'll have for the Goggleboxers to watch.

It is sad to see the old TV3 going. It's hard to even remember that when it started that daytime had soaps like Family Affairs, Breakers, Sunset Beach along with Ricki Lake, Can't Cook Won't Cook and an hour of children's programmes on Gimme 3 presented by Hector and Clodagh. The prime time programming was light on Irish productions, but they had some pretty big US shows with Charmed, Buffy, Sex & The City, South Park, Seinfeld, Mad about You and Early Edition and a film premiere every Sunday at 9pm. In contrast to now, where you hardly see any US programmes across the 3 channels, and possibly only 5 films premieres so far this year.

Their reliance on ITV Studios programming and taking on Channel 6 and utvIreland stretched their programme catalogue too much which just gives us endless repeats. Nearly everything is repeated again within 7 days on the channel, which is pointless.

The lows of TV3 in my view was the whole Play TV, and Physics Live disaster. Also revealing Brian Lenihans cancer a day after Christmas Day through an exclusive news update. Their handling of some female presenters leaving like Grainne Seioge, Lorraine Keane and more recently Sinead Desmond were a PR disaster.

Odd decisions included setting Eamon Dunphys talk show directly up against The Late Late Show, which ended in disaster after 15 weeks. Even placing the News At 6 up against RTEs Six One was shelved after 8 months in 1999.

Anyway, here's to Virgin Media TV, where there will be 4 hours of The Chase, Tipping Point, Jeremy Kyle Show every day. Oh great. Bring back Sunset Beach....

The early days of TV3 were the best and after Doughty Hanson took over it became very bland and average. I would add the cancellation of the C6 studio programmes to my list of lows.

Anyway, I think after Virgin Media bought them out, a re-brand was always on the cards. But you know the old saying "only the name has been changed".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

The choice of programs across the 3 channels is poor, they are only kick around the 3 from post to pillar. The REAL choice would have been the original TV3, Channel 6 and UTV Ireland (all independent). As it stands now we might as well just have the One. The market is not big enough in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,673 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'd welcome a Sunset Beach repeat

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I'd welcome a Sunset Beach repeat

I'd take it over the likes of L0v€ I$l@nd.

iseegirls wrote: »
    It's hard to even remember that when it started that daytime had soaps like Family Affairs, Breakers, Sunset Beach along with Ricki Lake, Can't Cook Won't Cook and an hour of children's programmes on Gimme 3 presented by Hector and Clodagh.

Here's an Irish Times article on Gimme 3. Seems hard to believe that Hector was once a TV3 personality...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/something-in-the-broccoli-1.149982

It also seems hard to believe that Claire Byrne once presented Ireland AM - and that Maura Derrane was once TV3's crime correspondent.

The lows of TV3 in my view was the whole Play TV, and Physics Live disaster.

Somehow, those Hungarian bandits are still doing business:

http://www.calltv.com/

Also odd was having more or less the exact same 30-minute news bulletin at 5:30 and 6:30.

Another unsuccessful move - if not a particularly odd one - was reserving the first hour on Ireland AM for news, à la GMTV and Daybreak (remember that one?).

And one mustn't forget Total Xposure - the search for a new Xposé presenter. Sean Munsanje didn't last long, did he?

Mind you, TV3 *have* made some good moves. Obviously, commissioning Red Rock was one - just a shame they lost faith in it once Corrie and Emmerdale came back. Trying out Music Cubed was another, of course - and, it must be said, so was transforming Midday into basically a sensible Irish equivalent of Loose Women, after its uncertain early days as a laid-back discussion of the news (had this not been a good move, the show wouldn't be living on today as Elaine, and Elaine herself might not have become the big name she is now).

Curiously, though, the TV3 site - including, of course, 3player - gives no indication of what's to come tomorrow.

Well, shiver me timbers...

https://www.virginmediatelevision.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭squonk

Well, shiver me timbers...

https://www.virginmediatelevision.ie/

Wow! Just wow! That branding is shïte It just looks tacky and awful. Or actually like a tv service homepage at all!

squonk wrote: »
    Wow! Just wow! That branding is shïte It just looks tacky and awful. Or actually like a tv service homepage at all!

I actually said "shiver me timbers" in response to the site changing almost in the blink of an eye, rather than in response to any aspect of the site. ;)

I do agree that it looks a bit tacky, though. In addition to the branding, there's a bit too much red...

Anyway, back to what's been happening on the channels: all three bulletins tonight did, of course, feature a full report regarding the changes. It wasn't the final report on any of them, however - perhaps indicative of the fact that while we'll obviously see a new name for the news service, a new title sequence and new graphics, it'll be pretty much business as usual for Colette, Claire, the reporters and the crew.

I'm now waiting up to catch the closedowns on all three channels. Well, I *did* also wait up to catch the final UTV Ireland closedown before it became Be3... :o:D;)

I'm now waiting up to catch the closedowns on all three channels. Well, I *did* also wait up to catch the final UTV Ireland closedown before it became Be3... :o:D;)

And as expected, each played out the "Three is a Magic Number" sequence, before going to the usual loop of trailers (all with what I guess we can now call the old branding). :D

I'm off to bed now - but as soon as I'm back from the Land of Nod (at whatever time), I'll switch on to see just what the new identities are like. I'm certain, though, that at least one person will comment on them before I do... :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

In the early 00s TV3 also showed Family Guy and Futurama. As said above it was Itv programming that ruined the channel.

Isn't there a bank called Virgin One btw?

• Advertisement

The new Virgin Media One started at 7am this morning. They were still using the TV3 idents and promos before this.

The Ireland AM set looks a lot better on screen than it did in those promotional pictures yesterday. The music stays the same.

3Kids looks to be just called Kids now.

VM3 going with a premiere of the Irish produced film A Date For Mad Mary tonight at 9:30 (late change to the schedule a few days ago)

Advertisement