Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hard is it to get the rolex you want

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Wibbs wrote: »
    The general principles of buying and selling go out the window with certain luxury goods. The customer fighting for the right to buy being one. That's generally in play to help with the rarity idea, but at the moment with the recent demand for Rolex gone mainstream it's gone a bit nuts.

If you think Rolex is nuts, never marry anyone with a Louis Vuitton addiction...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

they see us as stupid sheep following the trends

And they'd be right!

As for the porsche analogy, username put it well, imagine the bog standard one going for the same price as the RS. And the green one going for more because green is in fashion at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Marcusm wrote: »
    If you think Rolex is nuts, never marry anyone with a Louis Vuitton addiction...

Farfetch ads on Facebook are currently trying to sell me a second hand LV football for 5700 Euro. Naturally, I’m waiting for the 10% discount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Dante Delicious Magnum

Cienciano wrote: »
    And they'd be right!

As for the porsche analogy, username put it well, imagine the bog standard one going for the same price as the RS. And the green one going for more because green is in fashion at the moment.

I agree, its mental. When the hulk came out most people thought it was not very nice, now its the darling why? because its hard to get.

I love Rolex, I think they are great. But until we (alfa males with thousands of euros to waste invest in watches) stop licking the ass of AD jobworths nothing is going to change. There are plenty of Rolex out there at great prices if you look and ask.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

alfa males
    Fairly stylish and quirky, but likely to break down at any moment? Sounds about right. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Fairly stylish and quirky, but likely to break down at any moment? Sounds about right. :D

lol....your not wrong...you can see what forums my autocorrect is usually on :p

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Do you actually think that's an appropriate analogy in any way? To compare buying a pint that costs fiver, that you can buy on any paved street, that will be consumed in a matter of minutes and is gone, to a watch that you can't get anywhere, that costs 5 figures, that will keep most or possibly increase its value, that can be passed down generations.

I get if you don't want to play the little games rich people play but that was just a really daft analogy on many levels. When your target market is people with plenty of dosh, the only way to make them desire your product besides quality and legacy/brand recognition is scarcity. In fact that's how you make sure the ones with the dosh are willing to part with loads of it. They need some kind of challenge! And the shops need to sell more than just the popular watch of the moment to keep afloat im guessing.

And you will often get perks for being a regular in a pub ad well! Lock ins, the odd freebie etc.

Sorry mate, I got 7 thanks including one from forum heavyweight Wibbs. The motion carries!
    I’m off to buy a seiko

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

shutup wrote: »
    Sorry mate, I got 7 thanks including one from forum heavyweight Wibbs. The motion carries!
    I’m off to buy a seiko

Grand Seiko?

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Grand Seiko?

I wouldn’t spend a grand on a seiko

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Grand Seiko?

Just imagine 2 nice GS's for the price of a hulk. It's madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Cienciano wrote: »
    Just imagine 2 nice GS's for the price of a hulk. It's madness.

You’d get 4 or 5

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭893bet

Definite softening on BLNR over last 2 months.

Watchfinder tested top of market offering the Jubilee version for 21.6K I believe. Same watch is 19.6K now. Still madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Rootsblower

893bet wrote: »
    Definite softening on BLNR over last 2 months.

Watchfinder tested top of market offering the Jubilee version for 21.6K I believe. Same watch is 19.6K now. Still madness!

Someone will pay it

I wouldn’t spend a grand on a seiko

Spending 1000 euros on any watch is kind of mad really but in any event raised-eyes-looking-to-one-side-and-smiling-condescendingly emoticon, for the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Someone will pay it

Found it for list at an AD. Will collect it this weekend.
    I'm not patient but I am resourceful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭893bet

fluffer wrote: »
    Found it for list at an AD. Will collect it this weekend.
    I'm not patient but I am resourceful :)

Blnr jubilee?

Well done! You are the exception not the rule. If you get the papers then sell it! I think the market cap is reached. Have a look at TRF sales page. First page of the thread is always flooded with BLNR and HULks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

I'm trying to source a DJ 36 in an AD in Sydney and I'm told they're even hard to get at the minute. What is the point of AD's if you walk in and their displays are all empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I’m off to buy a seiko

we weren't talking about seiko vs rolex or anything like that. I don't care who thanked your post IMO you made no sense comparing buying pints in a pub to a Rolex in an AD. different worlds completely, and you obviously don't understand the latter world and aren't the target market anyway. which btw neither am I, I couldn't afford what it costs to shop there but I at least get The WHY they operate how they do. it's the rich people games like I said. they want to create this aura of exclusivity.

oh, and you wouldn't buy a Grand Seiko either? okay, so I guess you're saying, what? that all watches over a couple hundred quid are a ripoff? okay, you figured it all out, congrats. I mean is that your point? cuz I can't figure out what you are even saying tbh.

893bet wrote: »
    Blnr jubilee?

Well done! You are the exception not the rule. If you get the papers then sell it! I think the market cap is reached. Have a look at TRF sales page. First page of the thread is always flooded with BLNR and HULks

There is a definite drop in asking prices, its like some kinda Mexican standoff where its just dealers selling to dealers, and a few wanabe speculators trying to sell to very few end wearers.

If I had one, and it was not my "forever" watch I would flip it immediately. I think if anything Rolex allow the watches to get too scarse, so people moved on to other models and interest is waning.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

punk_one82 wrote: »
    I'm trying to source a DJ 36 in an AD in Sydney and I'm told they're even hard to get at the minute. What is the point of AD's if you walk in and their displays are all empty.

I was in the Rolex AD in Frankfurt Airport last Friday and they hand 9 Rolex available for sale. I mean there was 9 actual watches for men in the whole store.

Celini, PM Datejust and an Airking and that was it :rolleyes:

The jewellers next door had a smashing collection of Tudors, Longines, Omegas and Cartiers though. I really think Rolex are shooting themselves in the foot if this is a marketing ploy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

oxocube wrote: »
    Whats TRF?
    The Rolex forum I think?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

I passed by Keanes in Limerick other week, the window had 0 Rolex

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

A+-Guru wrote: »
    I passed by Keanes in Limerick other week, the window had 0 Rolex

Rolex are on display in the window inside the doorway to your right, not in the windows facing the street. I was in there two weeks ago and they had a nice selection on display, including a Sky-Dweller. They also have more on display in the rear of the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭dinorebel

The Rolex forum I think?

Yep you finally get access 2 years after applying:rolleyes:

we weren't talking about seiko vs rolex or anything like that. I don't care who thanked your post IMO you made no sense comparing buying pints in a pub to a Rolex in an AD. different worlds completely, and you obviously don't understand the latter world and aren't the target market anyway. which btw neither am I, I couldn't afford what it costs to shop there but I at least get The WHY they operate how they do. it's the rich people games like I said. they want to create this aura of exclusivity.

oh, and you wouldn't buy a Grand Seiko either? okay, so I guess you're saying, what? that all watches over a couple hundred quid are a ripoff? okay, you figured it all out, congrats. I mean is that your point? cuz I can't figure out what you are even saying tbh.

You either didn’t take your drugs this morning or you did take drugs this morning! Either way go to bed.
    I didn’t understand much of your insane rambling but just wanted to correct you on a couple of the “points” you made that were somewhat readable.
    1. I am exactly the target market for Rolex. Young, male, from the flats, involved in criminality, neck tattoo, wear skinny tracksuit with fresh runners, weekly sharpe hair cut. I tick every box.
    B. I never said I wouldn’t buy a Grand Seiko. I said I wouldn’t spend a grand on a seiko.
    That comment was actually a hilarious joke in which I used a play on words while pretending I was confused between the brand Grand Seiko and the act of spending €1000 on a Seiko.

If you're going to spend a grand on a watch and you don't spend it on a Seiko I'd challenge you to find better value anywhere else (subjective preferences aside).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭blindsider

You either didn’t take your drugs this morning or you did take drugs this morning! Either way go to bed.
    I didn’t understand much of your insane rambling but just wanted to correct you on a couple of the “points” you made that were somewhat readable.
    1. I am exactly the target market for Rolex. Young, male, from the flats, involved in criminality, neck tattoo, wear skinny tracksuit with fresh runners, weekly sharpe hair cut. I tick every box.
    B. I never said I wouldn’t buy a Grand Seiko. I said I wouldn’t spend a grand on a seiko.
    That comment was actually a hilarious joke in which I used a play on words while pretending I was confused between the brand Grand Seiko and the act of spending €1000 on a Seiko.

Have Rolex changed their morkeshing strategy?

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    If you're going to spend a grand on a watch and you don't spend it on a Seiko I'd challenge you to find better value anywhere else (subjective preferences aside).

Depends on where you value lies, a case could be made for Stienhart, Longinnes, Tag...and go on the used market and you will get a lot for your money. Hell there are Omega Speedmaster reduced's on adverts at the moment for not a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,555 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Also €1000 is nearing Nomos range, whilst their styling might not be to everyone's taste, there's a strong argument for there being a lot of bang for little buck.

I might even pull the trigger on one whilst I wait for the Rolex market to soften (if at all).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I think if anything Rolex allow the watches to get too scarse, so people moved on to other models and interest is waning.

Completely agree - I’ve had either a hulk, black sub and/or Pepsi gmt in my sights. Recently the time came when I could afford one, and I wasn’t interested in the faff. Bought another one of the watches I’ve always wanted for 5k and went all out on a few weeks of a holiday with the rest while wearing it. I’d still love any/all some day, but I’m not interested in the hassle currently required to buy new.

Advertisement