Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Gardai state they believe it's a random attack, not a hate crime, and still that 'peace & integration' guy al-Qadri is pushing that it was a hate crime. Ideally he should be arrested for trying to stir up racial tensions. I'm sure the Gardai already keep a close eye on his like anyway.

So the gardai should keep an eye on a man because he views it as a hate crime? I would tend to agree with him, should I be monitored too? O'Doherty is the person who harassed him after he highlighted a highly irresponsible tweet but you're trying to paint him as an extremist with zero basis. It's a tad sad, anyone familiar with him would know that he's pretty moderate.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,927 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

batgoat wrote: »
    So the gardai should keep an eye on a man because he views it as a hate crime? I would tend to agree with him, should I be monitored too? O'Doherty is the person who harassed him after he highlighted a highly irresponsible tweet but you're trying to paint him as an extremist with zero basis. It's a tad sad, anyone familiar with him would know that he's pretty moderate.

Yet another example of how Gemma and her supporters are anti free speech.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Intersting you ignore these questions Stephen

It’s annoying isn't it? When someone just disappears when the answer to a question might compromise their position? Isn’t it Joey?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

Yet another example of how Gemma and her supporters are anti free speech.

I'm all for free speech. I'm just curious why someone who is supposedly promoting peace & integration would try and spin a random assault into a hate crime. He's actually causing more division than integration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

I'm all for free speech. I'm just curious why someone who is supposedly promoting peace & integration would try and spin a random assault into a hate crime. He's actually causing more division than integration.

Because it seems pretty obvious the girl was targeted for wearing a hijab.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Hello....

Obvious to who? Not the gardai anyway.

Hello.... wrote: »
    Obvious to who? Not the gardai anyway.

It's pretty well documented that our hate crime legislation is inadequate. Only 5 people have been convicted of hate crimes in Ireland since 1989 and there have been calls to update it for years. So suspect more a matter of this case not being prosecutable as a hate crime under current legislation. But that's a problem of legislation.

It's pretty well documented that our hate crime legislation is inadequate. Only 5 people have been convicted of hate crimes in Ireland since 1989 and there have been calls to update it for years. So suspect more a matter of this case not being prosecutable as a hate crime under current legislation. But that's a problem of legislation.

Is there an actual clear video of this person having their hijab ripped from their head or being verbally abused for being a muslim?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

These lads were on the rampage leading up to the assault. Just a group of young thugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

Indeed. This is not a failing of the Gardaí, so much as it is a failing of the legislature.

Ireland only has one piece of hate crime legislation: the Incitement to Hatred act, 1989. The act makes it illegal to create and distribute hateful material, designed to incite hatred of groups of people.

You'll note that our legislation doesn't actually make attacking someone based on their ethnicity/orientation/religion a hate crime. Only the creation and distribution of material that is likely to stir up hatred. Which is pretty lacking as far as hate legislation goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Well if it’s true that these kids were on a little rampage around Dundrum then it’s not obvious at all.

They were discussing this on the radio yesterday and a shop owner said one of his staff was racially abused by the same gang. When asked what they did he said they stole stuff, threw stuff around the shop and used the f word a lot.

Another fella rang in to talk about his experience of racism. He had his wheelie bin stolen and burnt in a fire. It was racist because his Irish and Polish neighbours hadn’t had theirs stolen and burnt.

Any genuine racism is too much racism but little sh*ts being little sh*ts isn’t always racism because of the victims colour or religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

We don't have hate crime legislation in Ireland. We have Incitement to Hatred legislation

That's presumably why Gardai aren't investigating this as a hate crime.

When our ancestors emigrated to foreign lands, they were the victims of genuine racism. But they didn't whine about it. They knuckled down and worked hard. That's how you integrate into a society. Not by crying wolf and playing us for mugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭jackboy

I didn't see the video but the Guards have said that there is no indication that the incident was a hate crime. They did not have to say this in the middle of an investigation before they have even interviewed the culprits. So, to be honest, nothing about this is obvious.

When our ancestors emigrated to foreign lands, they were the victims of genuine racism. But they didn't whine about it. They knuckled down and worked hard. That's how you integrate into a society. Not by crying wolf and playing us for mugs.

The New York City draft riots (July 13–16, 1863)

"Initially intended to express anger at the draft, the protests turned into a race riot, with white rioters, predominantly Irish immigrants, attacking black people throughout the city. The official death toll was listed at either 119 or 120 individuals."

"The rioters were overwhelmingly white working-class men, mostly Irish or of Irish descent, who feared free black people competing for work"

More than half of all crime committed in New York in the 1850s was by Irish-born individuals.

In 1858 the Irish accounted for 35% of all of the prostitutes arrested in the city.

More than half of all those committed to NYC prison in 1858 were Irish-born.

In 1859, 74% of those convicted of drunk and disorderly conduct before the NY Court of Special Sessions were Irish-born.

The Irish have the highest foreign national prisoner percentage in England at the moment etc etc.

I could go on.

I would say you're engaging in genuine racist propaganda more than than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I would say you're engaging in genuine racist propaganda more than than anything.

What do you get out of finding so much non existent racism in everything, like does it actually make you feel better or something. Every thread, every topic you find a race angle.

What do you get out of finding so much non existent racism in everything, like does it actually make you feel better or something. Every thread, every topic you find a race angle.

Claiming the Irish were the real victims of racism is pretty ignorant and is propaganda that white supremacists actually push. Eg the Irish Slavery myth. Now it seems pretty relevant to the post I was responding to, no?

Irish people werent born with a victim complex like most of these people. Its the white man, everything is his fault.

What's your point? They integreated over time. In contrast, look at Muslims in the UK. They segregate themselves, taking over whole streets one house at a time. About the only time they mix with the locals is when they groom underage girls. Thousands upon thousands of victims that we know of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

In contrast, look at Muslims in the UK. They segregate themselves, taking over whole streets one house at a time. About the only time they mix with the locals is when they groom underage girls. Thousands upon thousands of victims that we know of.

That's disgusting and inaccurate. Shame on you.

What's your point? They integreated over time. In contrast, look at Muslims in the UK. They segregate themselves, taking over whole streets one house at a time. About the only time they mix with the locals is when they groom underage girls. Thousands upon thousands of victims that we know of.

Yep theres an issue there no doubt (look at the Catholic Church though!) but most Muslims I've met and worked with (quite a few) just keep to themselves as they do here. I work with a few Muslim lads. Biggest pain is when they vanish for hours on end for Friday prayers. But thats their culture. I think its silly, as I do with Irish people going to mass, but c'est la vie.

If a few thousand Irish moved over to Pakistan and were out on the piss every weekend, living in sin and eating pork the Pakistanis would be saying the same about us not integrating.

Same for Japan (Smoking, eating on the go, being loud), China and so on.

The world is quite diverse you know! Embrace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭francois

Bull****. I doubt you have even spoken to a Muslim.

Omackeral wrote: »
    That's disgusting and inaccurate. Shame on you.

Inaccurate? How so? 84% of grooming gangs are 'Asian'. Virtually all their victims are white.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Christ above lad. How many Muslims have you actually met in real life.

francois wrote: »
    Bull****. I doubt you have even spoken to a Muslim.

Gems having a pop at California now and loads of people agreeing with her. Would love to know how many have been in the last couple of years. A tiny tiny number yet they speak so authoritatively about it.

Its astonishing ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,212 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Inaccurate? How so? 84% of grooming gangs are 'Asian'. Virtually all their victims are white.
    That 84% figure is a joke and you know it.
    The CEOP have said the data in that report is "incomplete" and "inconsistent".
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/11/84-per-cent-of-grooming-gangs-are-asians-we-dont-know-if-that-figure-is-right

gmisk wrote: »
    That 84% figure is a joke and you know it.
    The CEOP have said the data in that report is "incomplete" and "inconsistent".
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/11/84-per-cent-of-grooming-gangs-are-asians-we-dont-know-if-that-figure-is-right

The figure could be lower, could even be higher. But why do they exclusively target white girls?

The figure could be lower, could even be higher. But why do they exclusively target white girls?

Why all the faux outrage? Why not target the church and institutions here that are still covering up their horrific crimes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,212 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Your could be could be nonsense isnt based on anything surprisingly.

I have no idea if they do, maybe its more likely white girls will report it to police? I think tarring all "asian" people with the same brush isn't exactly helpful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement