Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir and Virgin Media Sport - cross supply deal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

roadmaster wrote: »
    When the National Leagues are on there does be live games on eir 1 and 2 at the same time, since I have sky will I only be able to see the games on eir 2 via the app?

I would say the 2nd game will be on Virgin Media Sport (the old eir sport 2). There would be nothing on it anyway unless a European Nations Cup game was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

From VMs side their is an opportunity to earn some income from their VM Sports Channel.
    For Eir it allows them to replace an effectively redundant channel (Eirsports 2) with a channel that offers some of the lost BT Sports content.

If VM can sell the Eirsport pack which only has LOI and Pro14 (and short term RWC) is questionable,
    If Eir can continue to charge €30 with VM replacing Eirsports 2 (which will annoy any remaining Eir subscribers) is also questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ok so they are via app and can be sent to Chromecast right? Trying to weigh up if I'll pay sky the extra tenner for the bt channels.. I guess they will have few Saturday evening premier league games

Not if you sign up to the eir sport pack separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I don't think this is targeted at Sky satellite customers. It is eir/Virgin coming together to stop Sky swooping in with a Sky broadband/tv package that could wipe both of them out.

Who do ye think is paying for the carriage of VM Sport? Eir or Virgin? Virgin have never paid for carriage on satellite before.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I would say the 2nd game will be on Virgin Media Sport (the old eir sport 2). There would be nothing on it anyway unless a European Nations Cup game was on.

I cannot see that they would be able to do that (remembering that VM would effectively have to give up both the time slot and the advertising revenue)It is not like the old Premier Sports situation where the two channels were effectively operating as one and were scheduled by the same person. There will still be a separate eir Sport 2, just not available on Sky, and VM Sport and eir Sport 2 will still be separately and independently programmed channels. True, VM Sport currently airs mostly repeats in that time slot, but during international windows it is used for European Qualifiers. And perhaps in the future they might have other rights that use that slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

Does this mean that Eir Sports 2, currently on Sky channel 422, is going to close, and therefore I'll be paying only for Eir sports 1 on channel 421?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Ok so they are via app and can be sent to Chromecast right? Trying to weigh up if I'll pay sky the extra tenner for the bt channels.. I guess they will have few Saturday evening premier league games

They've switched so BT now have the 12.30pm game on a Saturday and SKY have the 5.30pm match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

energy1942 wrote: »
    Does this mean that Eir Sports 2, currently on Sky channel 422, is going to close, and therefore I'll be paying only for Eir sports 1 on channel 421?
    VM Sports will replace Eirsports 2 on Sky

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I’ve split the VM posts into a new thread, which I would have done sooner if I hadn’t spent the day travelling

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blink44

Finally got through to eir last Saturday and was told the cancellation department only works Monday - Friday, almost burst into flames with rage but he gave me the email address another poster gave me and said just email your sky viewing card number and we’l cancel it. Almost a week later and no response. Looks like once again il be spending my afternoon on hold to eir

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Guys I have Eir Broadband and house phone and I have Eir through Sky HD what will I be able to watch other than Eir Sports will I get Virgin Sports as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

apologies if this has been asnwered, I've read the thread but did not see..... anyone know if the VM sports channels will be broadcast in HD in eir? For example currently BT are and Sky are not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

apologies if this has been asnwered, I've read the thread but did not see..... anyone know if the VM sports channels will be broadcast in HD in eir? For example currently BT are and Sky are not

I was just thinking the same question / bt sports is available at an extra cost in hd on evision? Sky sports on eir does not have a hd version

On the reverse is virgin media sport in hd on the virgin platform? Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Guys I have Eir Broadband and house phone and I have Eir through Sky HD what will I be able to watch other than Eir Sports will I get Virgin Sports as well

Yes, you'll get Virgin Sports come mid-September, and you should have access to the Eir Sports extra channels via the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Storm 10

dulpit wrote: »
    Yes, you'll get Virgin Sports come mid-September, and you should have access to the Eir Sports extra channels via the app.

Thanks for that info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Brian017

blink44 wrote: »
    Finally got through to eir last Saturday and was told the cancellation department only works Monday - Friday, almost burst into flames with rage but he gave me the email address another poster gave me and said just email your sky viewing card number and we’l cancel it. Almost a week later and no response. Looks like once again il be spending my afternoon on hold to eir

Since you have already fulfilled your requirement by giving your request by phone or in writing I'd just cancel the direct debit

kooga wrote: »
    I was just thinking the same question / bt sports is available at an extra cost in hd on evision? Sky sports on eir does not have a hd version

On the reverse is virgin media sport in hd on the virgin platform? Tks

Because I’m a masochist with low self-esteem issue, I am going to go online and attempt to engage with eir support to get the answer…..may the lord have mercy on my sanity.
    I’ll report back

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blink44

Brian017 wrote: »
    Since you have already fulfilled your requirement by giving your request by phone or in writing I'd just cancel the direct debit

I tried that but unfortunately I didn’t realise it’s not a direct debit I have, when I rang the bank they told me the payments are coming from my card, I must have signed up using my Visa card as apposed to a direct debit

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭fman

I tried that but unfortunately I didn’t realise it’s not a direct debit I have, when I rang the bank they told me the payments are coming from my card, I must have signed up using my Visa card as apposed to a direct debit
    Card company should be able to block the transaction too. I contacted mine after cancelling with eir. Card company or bank depending on the exact card.

• Advertisement

Because I’m a masochist with low self-esteem issue, I am going to go online and attempt to engage with eir support to get the answer…..may the lord have mercy on my sanity.
    I’ll report back

I can confirm, after spending 95 minutes on chat, with 4 different eir employees that eir are still the more incompetent company operating in Ireland.
    It was confirmed to me that VM sports would be in HD if I had the HD pack
    It was also confirmed that this applied to Sky sports.
    When I explained he was wrong about sky sports he went away for a while and then came back and confirmed that VM Sports was absolutely on the HD list. When I asked him to share the HD list he did. I pointed out to him the VM Sports was not on that list, he said it was and reiterated "Virgin Media One HD, Virgin Media Three HD are HD channels.". When I explained the Virgin Media Sports was a different channel he got huffy and disconnected.

So the answer is - who the **** knows

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

I have Eirsport pack on Sky satellite, will the App be included in what I'm currently paying or will it cost more, if it does that will be the straw that breaks the Camels back as it where.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Brian017

energy1942 wrote: »
    I have Eirsport pack on Sky satellite, will the App be included in what I'm currently paying or will it cost more, if it does that will be the straw that breaks the Camels back as it where.

The Eir app is only for those with an Eir account i.e. broadband, TV

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭lionmqj

Have you tried comreg?

https://www.comreg.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

I can confirm, after spending 95 minutes on chat, with 4 different eir employees that eir are still the more incompetent company operating in Ireland.
    It was confirmed to me that VM sports would be in HD if I had the HD pack
    It was also confirmed that this applied to Sky sports.
    When I explained he was wrong about sky sports he went away for a while and then came back and confirmed that VM Sports was absolutely on the HD list. When I asked him to share the HD list he did. I pointed out to him the VM Sports was not on that list, he said it was and reiterated "Virgin Media One HD, Virgin Media Three HD are HD channels.". When I explained the Virgin Media Sports was a different channel he got huffy and disconnected.

So the answer is - who the **** knows

I was on to Eir about a different issue & also queried them about VM Sport in HD on Eir Vision & basically they hadn't a clue. I was told that it was a case of wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I was on to Eir about a different issue & also queried them about VM Sport in HD on Eir Vision & basically they hadn't a clue. I was told that it was a case of wait and see.

According to the Eir website VM Sport will be on sky channel 422 where Eir Sport 2 currently is in HD

Although the quality of that channel is always very bad for me, so I wouldn't take it as good news necessarily

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

kooga wrote: »
    Is virgin media sport in hd on the virgin platform? Tks

Yes. Virgin Media Sport along with the 6 Extra channels are in SD and HD on my VM box

400 Virgin Media Sport
    430 Virgin Media Sport HD
    451-56 VM Sport Extra 1-6
    471-76 VM Sport Extra 1-6 HD

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

HD is available for Sky and BT Sport but its an extra €5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

HD is available for Sky and BT Sport but its an extra €5

Sky sports is only in SD there is no HD option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Anybody see a date for when the channels will be available on the platforms?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement