Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first Marathon and first log log

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭marathon19

biketard wrote: »
    Fantastic, marathon19. Well done getting sub 50.

I've been the victim of being in that sort of group a few times, btw. Sometimes it actually works out quite well for me because it prevents me from starting too quickly (which I have a tendency to do with all the excitement of an organised run). That said, I do feel you inevitably waste extra energy overall trying to find a way through.

Thanks Biketard, in retrospect I think it was a good lesson and probably one that sticking the race series in the program is designed to teach us groms.

I like the 10K distance,

For some reason this week got away from me, didn't even think about updating the log, family stuff and busy with work.

Monday I took a rest day after the 10K on Sunday, was thinking of sticking a very easy 2 or 3 miles but in the end I got some sleep.

Tuesday was a nice easy 5 mile at 9.40/mi and HR ticking over at 137, I felt OK doing this,

Wednesday was the strides so an easy 6 mile at 9.35/mi and HR ticking over at 133 then the strides at the end.
    I have a nice 100m cycle track near my house which is deserted early in the morning, my strides consist of about 70m, easing in and upping the speed gradually for about 40 meters then nearly full throttle for 15m and a 15meter slowdown and a walk back to the start x 6

Left me a bit tight especially at the back of the left knee but overall I like strides

Thursday was another easy 5mile at 9.36/mi and HR of 134, my legs were a bit heavy on the first two or three miles, some serious sweat

Rest day today

LSR tomorrow morning,

Some heat this week

The LSR week 5,

16 miles at 9.30/mi pace with HR ticking over at 144

I was looking forward to this one all week, had 16 mile planned and route in mind, high five tabs ready.

Up at 5.50am for a bowl of cereal and strawberry's, cup of coffee and half a high five in 200ml of water.

Relaxed till 7.30 and off I went,

Knew within the first mile my hip was going to give me trouble,it had been Ok ish the last few weeks with only a slight niggle but the periodic trob I felt is not a good sign and almost always means I will feel it.

I paced this run all wrong,I had planned on 9.45/mi but went out on the first mile at PMP (9.05) without even realising it. I mentioned before that the first mile is a long slow downhill and today I also had a breeze on my back.

Pulled it back in for the second at 9.40 but back out at 9.20 on the third. I can only think its the hip as for some reason the slow pace is more likely to cause pain. If I kick on the pain goes down.

So after the third I got some rythm and was able to pace 9.34-9.44 for the next 5 miles then I had a slow one at 10.00 which was fine as the terrain was a bit undulating.

The next four miles I bolloxed up with three miles almost PMP.

Finished with my hip sore but not bad and on a positive note I felt like I could have done another 2 or 3 miles.

Longest run ever, longest time ever and still had something in the tank. The plan is working guys, but I have to work on my pacing.

On a side note I had a normal wholefood breakfast but used three gels at the rate recommended by the manufacturer, every 45 minutes. I am happy now that the gels I am using are fine and will use them for the marathon but in the short term probably take the advise on the mentors thread about minimising the gels till the big day to let the body learn to use the fats instead of carbs.

Thanks for reading guys,

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

Good going, marathon19.

If you don't mind my asking, what are you doing outside of the running as far as stretching/foam rolling/core work? I ask because of those niggles you've mentioned.

biketard wrote: »
    Good going, marathon19.

If you don't mind my asking, what are you doing outside of the running as far as stretching/foam rolling/core work? I ask because of those niggles you've mentioned.

Hey, my schedule is pretty tight so I don't have much time for anything other than a few stretches before and after the running. I do have another outlet but its time consuming and so I've put it on the backburner till November.

My stretching is not structured and probably not good either, as I run mostly run in the morning I do some static stretches to loosen up, I've tried dynamic stretches as recommended prior to running but they always seem to impact my hip if done as soon as I wake up. I usually have a 100m walk before starting the run.
    After running I'm pretty bad, a few static stretches if I did hill sprints or anything strenuous but mainly its making breakfast, showering and out the door to work.

Id would say this and pacing are my achilles heal.

• Advertisement

So we are into week 5, and finished July.

For the most part I've enjoyed it. More importantly I'm learning and picking up little tit bits from the other posters on here. Some of the logs are fabulous.

After the LSR on Saturday I did an easy 4 mile recovery, slow and a small stop in the middle for a chat. 10.13 per mile.

Rest day Monday-

Then yesterday I did an easy 5 mile at 9.40/mi and the HR ticking over at 128.

Today I did and easy mile, tried six at PMP and an easy mile to cool down with my HR averaging at 138 , again the pace was not good.

Mile 1 - 9.35 (to fast by about 10 seconds)
    Mile 2 - 8.57 9(to fast by about 10 seconds)
    Mile 3 - 8.55(to fast by about 10 seconds)
    Mile 4 - 8.58(to fast by about 10 seconds)
    Mile 5 - 9.10 OK
    Mile 6 - 9.14 OK
    Mile 7 - 8.56 (to fast by about 10 seconds)
    Mile 8 - 9.43 OK

After some thought the next few weeks will be planned with
    Easy at 9.40
    LSR at 9.55
    PMP at 9.10

I will aim to hit these and build up some feeling so at least the PMP is natural.

July stats
    • 139 miles
    • 22 hours running
    • 23 activities
    Building a base (need to sort the pace and maybe stretching)

Roll on August and thanks for reading,

Thursday I did my scheduled 5 mile easy at 9.43/mi and the HR averaging at 130

Friday is a rest day, I like the rest day

LSR

18.6 miles at 9.46/mi (3 hours and 1 minute running) and HR averaging 148

Today was a bit of drama; about 3/4 of a mile into the run I realised I hadn't prepared right, no protection for the nipples (this is a sore topic) so I turned around and had a quick pit stop to apply the vasaline. As I'm a creature of habit this changed the route in my head and spent another mile or two trying to adapt a new route to fit in the return to the house for a 17 mile.
    Got back into the rythm about 3 or 4 miles in, plodding along at a leisurely pace along my usual route which includes a sandy track which is wide enough for two abreast and grass either side. I can see two other sloggers from about 500 meters so I put myself tight to the left side of the track which would normally be fine as most joggers have some cop on but low and behold the mongo on my side doesn't seem to think its appropriate to drop in behind his partner or in front as would normally happen, decides to play chicken with me. I took the grass and left him to his minor victory. What is it with some people!

Of I go trying to gather any bit of zen left in the universe

next, Ive been in Malahide Castle park a hundred times and today I got a bit lost, well ran in circles is a more apt description. Instead of one lap around the outside walking tracks of the grounds I did two inner tracks and an outside. By the time I got out I was 4.5 miles away from home with 14 miles done.

Had to stop for a pee then, Ive never had to stop during a long run, this added to the strange day. And as I was way over on milage I had drop into a spar and use my emergency €2 coin for a bottle of still water, this coinn has never been used before as I usually have enough hydration.
    When I eventually got home and stretched out the run I sat down only to be confronted on RTE news with a recall warning for spar still water which supposedly has elevated levels of arsenic in it.
    Then the misses tried to get me too go to IKEA, no fing way, curtains pulled lying on the couch, I'm not even going to answer the door.

See ye tomorrow

Thanks for reading,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

marathon19 wrote: »
    Thursday I did my scheduled 5 mile easy at 9.43/mi and the HR averaging at 130

Friday is a rest day, I like the rest day

LSR

18.6 miles at 9.46/mi (3 hours and 1 minute running) and HR averaging 148

Today was a bit of drama; about 3/4 of a mile into the run I realised I hadn't prepared right, no protection for the nipples (this is a sore topic) so I turned around and had a quick pit stop to apply the vasaline. As I'm a creature of habit this changed the route in my head and spent another mile or two trying to adapt a new route to fit in the return to the house for a 17 mile.
    Got back into the rythm about 3 or 4 miles in, plodding along at a leisurely pace along my usual route which includes a sandy track which is wide enough for two abreast and grass either side. I can see two other sloggers from about 500 meters so I put myself tight to the left side of the track which would normally be fine as most joggers have some cop on but low and behold the mongo on my side doesn't seem to think its appropriate to drop in behind his partner or in front as would normally happen, decides to play chicken with me. I took the grass and left him to his minor victory. What is it with some people!

Of I go trying to gather any bit of zen left in the universe

next, Ive been in Malahide Castle park a hundred times and today I got a bit lost, well ran in circles is a more apt description. Instead of one lap around the outside walking tracks of the grounds I did two inner tracks and an outside. By the time I got out I was 4.5 miles away from home with 14 miles done.

Had to stop for a pee then, Ive never had to stop during a long run, this added to the strange day. And as I was way over on milage I had drop into a spar and use my emergency €2 coin for a bottle of still water, this coinn has never been used before as I usually have enough hydration.
    When I eventually got home and stretched out the run I sat down only to be confronted on RTE news with a recall warning for spar still water which supposedly has elevated levels of arsenic in it.
    Then the misses tried to get me too go to IKEA, no fing way, curtains pulled lying on the couch, I'm not even going to answer the door.

See ye tomorrow

Thanks for reading,

Very funny read :) I also had a game of chicken today :O idiots!!! Enjoy the rest haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I just dropped in to see how you're getting on and I'm a bit confused by your paces. Your planned easy pace is only 30 seconds slower than your PMP and your LSR pace only 45 seconds (though you actually ran it only 36 seconds slower than PMP). I'd strongly suggest getting the easy and LSR paces in the range of 60-90 secs slower than PMP, closer to 90 in fact.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I just dropped in to see how you're getting on and I'm a bit confused by your paces. Your planned easy pace is only 30 seconds slower than your PMP and your LSR pace only 45 seconds (though you actually ran it only 36 seconds slower than PMP). I'd strongly suggest getting the easy and LSR paces in the range of 60-90 secs slower than PMP, closer to 90 in fact.

Hi Skyblue46, i really appreciate your taking the time to review and advise on my current pacing. I loved your threads on here, essential reading.

My pacing is certainly off and I am tight on the slow runs. I have read the advise you guys and previous mentors are giving and I know I am a bit on the fast side for the slow run. I suppose I am aiming for endurance by sitting in the 30 to 60 seconds slower than the PMP. I cant see myself going over the 60 seconds mark for LSR as it stands but I am chewing on it.

With some slight alteration on milage the boards plan is perfect for me and I am 100% that it will get me to the finish line but I am majorly concerned about the last 10K.
    I suppose my fear(unfounded and no scientific basis but ) is that by making the LSR pace too easy I am reducing the chance of getting through the last 6 miles without some major malfunction.
    This is the one area I see time and again in the logs as when people struggle, even the guys and gals that trained perfect and had good half and 10 mile times.

Also I am finding running natural doesn't allow the pacing to be perfect. For example this morning I did 1 x easy 6 x PMP and 1 cooldown. I made no effort to alter pace accordingly and ran how I thought 9.07 should feel
    Terrain and breeze had some miles at 8.51 and some at 9.17. This is how i see the Marathon going. From reading hundreds of posts I see the first 7 miles are slow and should be taken easy or it can dramatically effect the later part of the race, I would see this as 9.15 to 9.25 pace and then dropping into maybe 8.55 -9.00 after the 7 miles to re align for 9.07. This is partially where the 9.45 LSR comes from

Maybe Im over thinking the whole pace thing,

The last 3 runs since my last post are a bit more conservative.

Let me know what you think, Im not soft so be honest if I'm making a balls of it.

• Advertisement

Sunday after LSR Stiff but OK, hip a bit sore but nothing to write home about

5 miles at 9.58/mi with the HR high at 148, very warm and a black training vest didnt help.

Monday, rest day, howth cliff walk and pizza, all good

Tuesday I woke late so reduced milage
    4 mile at 9.52/mi and the HR at 132

Today, 1 mile easy 6 miles PMP and 1 cool down HR averaging at 142
    Mile 1 - 9.46
    Mile 2 - 9.11
    Mile 3 - 8.53
    Mile 4 - 8.52
    Mile 5 - 9.17
    Mile 6 - 9.07
    Mile 7 - 8.51
    Mile 8 - 9.34

All over the shop

I thoroughly enjoyed this run though.

Thanks for reading

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I won't harp on about the benefits of running slowly. You've read the novices thread and know the science. My total faith is based on my own experiences over the 2 marathon blocks I have done. I had a quick look back on Strava at this week in 2017 and 2018. In 2017 I did 2 easy runs this week at 10:29 and 10:00 paces. I ran 3:47 in DCM, I had a 1:57/1:50 negative split and the last 10k was my fastest 10k. In 2018 I ran 3 easy runs this week at 9:22, 9:21 and 9:15 pace. I had done a recent 40:07 10k so you can see how easy I run. I ran a 3:16 marathon, a 1:40/1:36 negative split, last 10k the fastest and mile 24 was my fastest. Trust the science, pace sensibly and there is no reason to fear the last 10k!

Edit to say this week's paces are a lot better, well done.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I won't harp on about the benefits of running slowly. You've read the novices thread and know the science. My total faith is based on my own experiences over the 2 marathon blocks I have done. I had a quick look back on Strava at this week in 2017 and 2018. In 2017 I did 2 easy runs this week at 10:29 and 10:00 paces. I ran 3:47 in DCM, I had a 1:57/1:50 negative split and the last 10k was my fastest 10k. In 2018 I ran 3 easy runs this week at 9:22, 9:21 and 9:15 pace. I had done a recent 40:07 10k so you can see how easy I run. I ran a 3:16 marathon, a 1:40/1:36 negative split, last 10k the fastest and mile 24 was my fastest. Trust the science, pace sensibly and there is no reason to fear the last 10k!

Edit to say this week's paces are a lot better, well done.

I just hope hope I have a similar experience when the day comes, I know the months before are when it matters.

For some reason I was thinking it was week 6 but no, its week 7.

Thursday I did an easy 5mile at 9.40/mi and 140 HR

Friday rest day

This morning I set out with a bit of a plan, LSR 17 miles no pre run fuel and only one gel. Half a tab of high five in 250ml bottle of water.

Done 17 mile at 9.49/mi and HR averaging at 153 (gradually slowing down, might try 10min per mile next week)

Ive been testing gels and fueling methods for the marathon the last few long runs so I decided to go old school this week and only fuel after the 2 hour mark to get the body used to using fats instead of carbs. The plan was to run empty for the first 13 mile and then use the gel.
    That was tough, once I hit the 2 hour mark I was really struggling, tired irritated and really not liking the feeling.

Apart from that the run was awesome, pissing down and breezy so no civilians for the first couple of hours, my hip didn't give me any problems for the first time in ages and I more than likely could have stuck another couple of miles at the end once the gel kicked in.

A hard day done, now for some grub.

Week 8,

Travelling a bit this week so the schedule lapsed slightly

Monday - rest day
    Tuesday - squeezed in a 6mile at 8.55/mile PMP(to fast)
    Wednesday - planes trains and automobiles, no miles
    Thursday - 7 easy miles at 9.49/ mile in 28c, tough but nice.
    Friday - rest ( spent the day in the sea)
    Saturday - 18 miles at 9.55/mile and got lucky with a cooler morning, only 22c. Felt good.
    Today - easy 6 mile at 9.55/mile. Scorcher. 28c.

The next week is looking like 30c days so will try to keep of the vino and hydrate but.

Will update a bit less the next 10 days as I try to drop out while away.

Love running

Quick update,

Still on holidays, hot and sticky but right beside the beach and a pool in the complex.

Tuesday - easy 6 mile at 9.57/mile
    Wednesday - pace 10mile at 9.08/mile
    Thursday - easy 6 mile at 9.40/mile
    Today - 15 mile : easy out first mile then 13 pace and last mile easy.

Would have loved to do the FD 10 today. Running a 10 mile fast here would probably wreck me so I planned a half at pace to get a feel for it. Was OK
    9.59 first mile
    9.05 average over 13
    9.56 last mile

To much PMP this week, I know I read the link on the main marathon thread. Will stick more to plan when I am home.

My thinking on this week's pace is simple enough, I was in two mind about the Dublin half to either race or test my PMP. Got the PMP over, 13 out of my system so should be able to race the half. Will decide after the half on my A target time for the big day.

Be gentle

Second last run here, 32C Sunny and sweaty

Did a very easy 4. 2 mile at 9.49/mile

Rest tomorrow then a run Tuesday and back to Ireland Wednesday for some normal weather

Last day on holidays

Did an early morning run but still 25C, fierce warm and sweaty

6.2miles at 10.04 per mile, hr average 137

Great holiday but won't miss the mosquitoes, legs eaten by the lite bast××rds.

Tomorrow I will be running in my beautiful North County Dublin

Back to reality and hopefully more regular updating,

Wed -8 mile at 9.08/mi and HR ticking over at 140
    Thur- 4 mile at 9.58/mile with HR ticking over at 134
    Sat - 19 miles at 9.48/mile and HR averaging at 146 over the run.
    Sun - 5 mile recovery this morning at 10.30/mile

Wednesday I did the first and last easy with the middle 6 miles at 9 mins per mile PMP. Felt great to run in normal temperatures but my achilles was sore during and after.

Thursday did an easy all the way,

Saturday LSR of 19 mile was a bit nervy, the first 10 miles I was mentally checking my right achilles which was sore since Wednesdays 8 mile. It didn't get any worse so that was a big big relief and getting a long run is only great once its done.
    Did an easy 5 mile recovery this morning at 10.30/mile, slight pain at the back of the knee on the right leg, probably as a result of trying not to aggravate my achilles yesterday.

184 miles for the month of August over 21 runs, strava seems to be down this morning so no in dept analysis but I'm very happy with this month.

Side note, anyone who runs in and around Malahide probably knows about the water dispenser in Malahide Castle beside the start line for the parkrun. I only discovered it yesterday.
    This is fantastic, seems to be perfectly designed for joggers and even for putting the head under if your warm.
    Im usually at about 10 mile on my long run when I hit the park and yesterday I did three laps filling my 200ml bottle each time to re hydrate.

Its the little things, fair play to who ever put this in, makes my long run less painful to know I can get a water refill without having to go into a shop and queue

All good,

Ran a lovely 4 mile this morning

10.02 per mile
    HR ticking over at 125

Getting darker and cooler in the mornings.

• Advertisement

The dark mornings are upon us.

Out early this morning for an easy 8 mile.

Pace averaged 9.45/mile and HR was at 128.

Brrr

A bit colder this morning, long sleeves for the first time in ages.

Very easy 4 miles at 9.55/mile with HR at 125.

5xstrides at the end of the run, really like these.

Had a really relaxing week, just easy runs and a few strides so I was set up for this mornings lsr.

20 miles at 9.52 per mile and the HR averaging 139

Slight pain in the hip from about 14 miles but all in all I reckon I could have kept going for a few more miles after the 20.

Did all the things to keep this run easy.
    I had breakfast then chilled out for an hour or so, nothing scheduled so no rush preparing to go out.
    Brought 3 gels, one at 8,12 and 16 and a bottle with high five tab in it.
    Topped up the bottle twice in Malahide Castle and eased home.
    Have to say I feel stiff but not as much as normal.

I think I'm nearly ready.

One slightly annoying thing was my watch showed 20.08 miles when I finished but once the run went onto Strava it only showed 19.9.
    Last week was the same,, might add a bit onto my runs from now on.

Another Sunday another recover run.

Had a nice easy 2k Park run with the pup and then eased home for 5 mile recovery.

5 mile at 10.05/mi and HR at 135.

Dark dark mornings

6 miles at 10.05/mi, HR At 128.

Have decided to change it up for tomorrow's 11miler, it's to dark into morning for PMP on my route as there is some grass and track included so I'm going to run it in the evening.

Will probably run thursdays in the evening as well. Give me some recovery.

On a different note I got my wave allocation, 2. Didn't recall giving a time when I applied last November(cheap kbc reg) so checked, was a bit ambitious at 3.45, that was before I decided to used the boards plan as a base for training. I thought my 8.00 to 8.30 10 ks would translate, more fool me.

I'm not making any concrete plan until after the half but in my head now I'm thinking
    A. 3.59.59
    B. 4.10.00
    C. 4.20.00

All depending on how I feel, how my hip is, how the day is, very excited

Lovely evening for a run

11 mile PMP at 9.05/mile with my HR ticking over at 148

Really enjoyed that, chomping at the bit to go faster but held it back mostly. Nice to run run in bright.

I could get used to running of an evening, lovely mild weather.

Did a nice easy 5 miler at 9.50/mi with the HR at 136.

After running empty in the mornings for so long I had forgotten about being careful with food, had a late lunch which caused some discomfort. Will have to be more careful.

Apart from that I really enjoyed this one,

Slight adjustment today, out Friday night till all hours so not fit for running yesterday, did some extreme couching instead.

Started of today with a 2k Junior Park run to shake the cobwebs off then after dropping the pup home slipped out for an easy 16 mile.

16 miles at 9.52/mi and the old HR at 132

Felt really strong even though I didn't fuel for this run.

Six weeks to the marathon

https://www.wired.com/story/aging-marathoner-tries-to-run-fast-after-40/

Having read this I'm wondering should I buy a pair of Nike 4% and start drinking beet juice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

marathon19 wrote: »
    https://www.wired.com/story/aging-marathoner-tries-to-run-fast-after-40/

Having read this I'm wondering should I buy a pair of Nike 4% and start drinking beet juice.

Great read :)

Advertisement