Advertisement
Have your say on the future of the 'Save Draft' feature in this poll
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

My first Marathon and first log log

12346»

Comments

• Hey, really appreciate the advise.

The next few weeks I hope to nail down the pace ranges and gain more a disciplined mindset. If I'm being honest I found it really hard to keep todays 12 mile at 8.15. Planned a meandering hilly route to keep it easy (I'm thinking 8.30 so far) but my focus let me down. Enjoying the run and forgetting about the plan.

Also made the wrong shoe choice today, stuck the endorphin speed on. Like biscuit's for my feet.

Have to buy some daily workhorses, my Reebok's are on the way out and the vaporflys are to expensive/fast to use for long easy runs.

• I'm sure your plan will give you pace guides but they would be based on fairly level ground. If you are depending on a hilly route to slow you down it means that you are working too hard. Have a day or two that feels embarrassingly slow. Keep your powder dry for your sessions...

• Your right. It's very possible the sessions will knock the over enthusiastic easy runs on the head.

Next week the plan has 32 miles aerobic and only 6 easy. With sessions proper starting the week after.

Let's hope the weather stays mild this winter 🌄

• Aerobic is easy, so no problem there.

Irish weather is perfect for year round running. It's gas the way people think we have bad winter conditions for running. As I always say, look at Newfoundland (same latitude).

Happy running.

• Advertisement

• Week 3 of 3-WEEK PREP PHASE

Monday, work, study, no run

Tuesday, Session - 2 miles WU, 6 x (0.2mile uphill at 5/10K pace, 30 seconds rest and 0.2mile downhill at MP, 90 seconds rest between sets), 2 miles warm down.

Wednesday - 6 miles at 8.40 per mile

Thursday - 2 miles WU, 2 x 2 Miles at Half Marathon pace with 3 minutes slow jog in between, 2 miles warm down

Friday - junk food and Wheel of time

Saturday - 6 miles at 8.30 per mile

Sunday - 8 miles easy(8.40), 10 x (1 minute 5/10km pace, then 1 minute at HMP), 2 miles warm down. what a lovely day out there.

Next week starts the 6-week building phase. some juicy sessions are on the way.

• Week 1 of 6 - WEEK BUILDING PHASE

Monday - Day off

Tuesday - 2 miles warm-up easy pace, 5 x 1K at 10k pace with 2 minutes rest, 2 mile warm-down.

Wednesday - 6 mile easy

Thursday - 6 miles aerobic

Friday- Day off

Saturday- 4 mile warmup easy, 4 x 2 miles at MP with 2 min jog/walk between, 2 mile warm down easy

Sunday - 9 mile easy

The Tuesday session took it out of me. More of the same this week.

• Week 2 of 6 - WEEK BUILDING PHASE

Monday, work, study, no run

Tuesday, Session - 2 miles WU, 8 x (0.2mile uphill at 5/10K pace, 30 seconds rest and 0.2mile downhill at MP, 90 seconds rest between sets), 2 miles warm down.

Wednesday - 6 miles at 8.45 per mile

Thursday - work, study, no run

Friday - 2 miles WU, 5 x 1 mile at half marathon pace with 2 minutes slow jog in between, 2 miles warm down

Saturday - 5.8 miles at 8.14 per mile

Sunday - 14.5 miles aerobic, another fantastic day for running. First time out with the vaporfly other than 5k parkrun or interval sessions. Really nice shoe for medium/long run.

Bought a new pair of Endorphin Pro last week as a backup for the vaporfly, will put them through their paces in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

• Week 1 of 2 - Wildcard weeks

Basically started a 20 week Marathon plan 22 weeks before the Marathon. This gave me an option on having a couple of down weeks in case I got the covid, had a niggle, or just wanted to do Christmas without any hard sessions. So I got to Christmas week and decided to use one up

Monday, no run

Tuesday, made up Session - 2 miles easy, 2 miles 10km pace, 2 miles easy, 2 miles 10km pace,2 miles easy.

Wednesday - 6.5 miles easy

Thursday - nothing

Friday - nothing

Christmas Day - Parkrun in Malahide. It's been a couple of months since I did a parkrun and I loved this. All the happy faces out on Christmas day for a run in the park. Most enjoyable.

Sunday - 16-mile aerobic.

This week I'm going to drop back into the plan at week 5 of 6 Building phase, I still have another spare week to take if needed. At the latest mid-February. Might try a 10k TT or parkrun with a mini taper. Something to look forward to.

Hope ya'll had a happy Christmas.

Advertisement