Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nostalgic Food - Good and Bad!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Showing my age - I remember my siblings and I fighting over ... Marietta biscuits!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Talking about Vesta curries, I just googled them and would you believe it, you can still buy them! Why?????

• Registered Users Posts: 21,834 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Alun wrote: »
    Talking about Vesta curries, I just googled them and would you believe it, you can still buy them! Why?????

Nostalgia ?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

My parents both great cooks, still are. so we had no boring ould ****e food.
    Mum always used to make lovely sweet waffles on Sunday nights with her very posh electric waffle iron that relatives in the uk gifted us.
    The smell of waffles to this day takes me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

honeybear wrote: »
    Showing my age - I remember my siblings and I fighting over ... Marietta biscuits!

Special occasion = buttered Marietta / 'Kerry Creams" / Nice

( were they really called Kerry Creams ? )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭holliehobbie

0lddog wrote: »
    honeybear wrote: »

We used to get buttered Marietta 'sandwiches' when we were sick!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,336 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

0lddog wrote: »

Buttered Marietta and Weetabix with butter and jam/marmalade. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Buttered Marietta and Weetabix with butter and jam/marmalade. :)

Ye must have been loaded.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Ye must have been loaded.

With big glasses of milk! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Soft boiled egg and soldiers.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Oh I lived on them when I was very sick.
    My poor mum :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Red lemonade.
    Heated up to take out the bubbles.

When we felt sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,026 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Red lemonade.

When we felt sick.
    My friend in England refused to believe there was such thing as red lemonade.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I’m starting to have memories I forgot I had reading this thread! :D

My mother was a decent cook although she probably suffered from the same thing as a lot of home cooks back then, overdonemeatitis and boiledtodeathvegieitis. For years I didn’t think I liked veg!

Staples in our house were stew, coddle (white! None of that red nonsense!), usual meat and 2 veg stuff. Always a roast on a Sunday, with the stuffing balls and trifle made by the kids the night before. Towards the end of the year she would make apple tarts made from the cooking apples from my Granny’s apple tree out her back garden. A dinner I used to love was fried mince, mixed with mashed potato and fried in the pan, and served with beans. I type of has I suppose?

As we got older she got a bit more adventurous. I remember the big hullabaloo when one of her work friends came over to show her how to make a curry! Fried onions, mixture of curry powder and flour fried in the onions for a bit , then a pack (or tin) or chicken soup, a load of water, and then add in shredded cooked chicken. Always served with homemade chips and rice. Amazing, and so exotic at the time.

Did someone mention Goobays? There’s a blast from the past! They used to have amazing chocolate donuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

"Breakfast is ready"

lostandfound039.jpg

"Dinner is ready"

shutterstock_11482531.0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭phormium

The 'goody' we had when sick was white bread mashed up in a cup with hot milk and some sugar, gross sounding but great stuff when you didn't feel well :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

phormium wrote: »
    The 'goody' we had when sick was white bread mashed up in a cup with hot milk and some sugar, gross sounding but great stuff when you didn't feel well :)

I never had that, although my mother did when she was young. When we'd had tummy bugs my mother would make a bowl of cornflour with hot milk as you would with powdered custard. To 'bind' our stomachs :pac:

Did anyone else put HB vanilla ice cream into a huge glass with Club orange? It'd have a huge froth on it and it was delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,026 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

phormium wrote: »

I never had that, although my mother did when she was young. When we'd had tummy bugs my mother would make a bowl of cornflour with hot milk as you would with powdered custard. To 'bind' our stomachs :pac:

Did anyone else put HB vanilla ice cream into a huge glass with Club orange? It'd have a huge froth on it and it was delicious!
    No, we had Coke and a pink Snack bar sticking out of the ice cream.
    It was called a Coke Float.

To thine own self be true

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

No, we had Coke and a pink Snack bar sticking out of the ice cream.
    It was called a Coke Float.

You went the extra mile with the snack bar - I never thought of that.

Someone mentioned buttered Marietta biscuits. When you sandwiched them together the butter would ooze out through the little holes. Marietta were long gone by the time I had children, but I used to give them buttered Rich Tea biscuits for old times' sake :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Buttered rich teas are amazing

Absolutely, but coke was always preferred. I do remember the very odd time you’d be sent out to the ice cream van with a big bowl and get him to fill it up with whipped ice cream to have back in the house.

We also used to have the “wafer man” that came around at tea time me in a blue VW style van and sell ice cream sandwiched between two wafers. He had this divider tool that would indent a standard block of HB ice cream into segments with each segment being 15p each so you could get a 15/30/45p wafer depending on how flush you were that day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,093 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

A boiled egg mashed with butter in a mug and a pinch of salt.
    igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Red lemonade.

When we felt sick.

Taylor Keith and Cadet in glass bottles.:eek:
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    Did someone mention Goobays? There’s a blast from the past! They used to have amazing chocolate donuts.

Yep and some really good Rum Cake too! Where the hell can I get a Rum Cake these days????

Absolutely!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

At some point, my dad picked up a sandwich grill type thing (a George Foreman when GF was just a boxer). It seemed ever so fancy.
    My mum's big, thick, homemade burgers were overcooked in this most Saturdays.

This was before the sandwich toasters that seal the edges so toasted sandwiches were new to us as well.

I don't know who came up with it but I remember making toasted chocolate sandwiches!
    Made with cooking "chocolate"!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Everything was fresh with my mother's nose. I loved fundus crispy pancakes. Only bought if my mother wanted a quick easy dinner for my siblings and I. Wouldn't touch stuff like that now. Most school days we had semolina, rice pudding or tapioca pudding with lots of sugar and a spoon of Homestead jam in the middle. I regularly make rice pudding in the winter for my family and we all love it. No jam lots of sugar.

I have to admit that I had a soft spot for the crispy pancakes. Never had for dinner - more of a snack/informal lunch kind of thing.
    Haven't tasted them in over 30 years, I'd say.

Artic roll.
    Artic roll.
    Artic roll.
    That was such a treat.

To the best of my knowledge I’ve never had Arctic Roll. The only time I’ve ever heard of it is on Jamie Oliver shows. Viennetta though!!!

Mackerel.
    We ate a lot of mackerel during the summer!

While I love fresh mackerel fillets, dredged in flour and quickly fried with fresh white bread and tea, I really dislike mackerel as part of a dinner, now. Too many mackerel dinners, I guess.

Everything was fresh with my mother's nose. I loved fundus crispy pancakes. Only bought if my mother wanted a quick easy dinner for my siblings and I. Wouldn't touch stuff like that now. Most school days we had semolina, rice pudding or tapioca pudding with lots of sugar and a spoon of Homestead jam in the middle. I regularly make rice pudding in the winter for my family and we all love it. No jam lots of sugar.

I use semolina for my pizza dough but to show the kids what we had for pud when I was a kid, I added some to boiling milk and added sugar. It was gluupy and quite disgusting. Is there a better way or would I get the same result regardless?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Goody for us (hated it) was when there was no money for anything else. Same as tapioca and sago. We used to stick them behind the curtains.

When I was a child, I could not eat anything without getting sick. Was always sick. We were given cornflour to bind us up as you say. Because we hated the CornFlour, we were told it was "hot ice cream" just to make us eat it. Well, even though we knew it was not hot ice cream and we were being scammed, we ate it on the off chance that it COULD be hot ice cream. Well that came back up too.

We had the ice cream in lemonade - called them ice cream sundaes, the nicest ones were with the TK raspberry.

Hated tinned spaghetti too, made me sick. Was told that the alphabet spaghetti was differnt...made fck off on my plate and ate it...yep, came back up and the hot ice cream cycle began again.

Advertisement