Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This Way Up - Aisling Bea

• 24-07-2019 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭

This Way Up (formerly known as Happy AF) starts on Channel 4 on Thursday August 8th at 10pm.

Aisling-Bea-This-Way-Up.jpg

Aisling Bea plays Aine, a whip-smart TEFL teacher trying to pull her life back together after a "teeny little nervous breakdown". Sharon Horgan ('Catastrophe', 'Pulling') plays her older sister who not only worries about her younger sibling but also about her own life choices. The TEFL school where Aine teaches brings together a room full of characters also trying to find their own hope, direction and happiness in this messy world.

https://entertainment.ie/tv/tv-news/first-look-aisling-bea-sharon-horgans-this-way-up-406062/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭brian_t

• Registered Users Posts: 84,901 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Tobias Menzies, India Varma and Sorcha Cusack are also in the cast

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Only know Bea from her stints on QI, but she always got a laugh from me. Will be taking a look...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I thought she was the one who did that "if people say women are unfunny do a poo!" thing and avoided watching this as a result but I realised I was mixing her up with someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,901 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought it was a decent first episode, they work well as sisters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I enjoyed it too, thought they worked very well together. Good script, decent pace- I'll definitely watch the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,215 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It was okay. It has potential anyway. Did think Bea overacted some of it, particularly in the classroom bit which was just OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

1/10.
    Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Is it better than Finding Joy.

I've just watched all the episodes on Ch4 online in one sitting. Really enjoyed it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Penn wrote: »
    It was okay. It has potential anyway. Did think Bea overacted some of it, particularly in the classroom bit which was just OTT.
    There are people who behave like that though.

I watched it on all4. I thought it was great.

Bit annoying, two sisters arguing in multiculturaland.

And I knew from the first episode Sharon's partner was gay.

vriesmays wrote: »
    And I knew from the first episode Sharon's partner was gay.

Was it when she said she had an ex-girlfriend the giveaway ? :p

The mother was the original mother-in-law in Mrs Brown's Boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

I was really enjoying it at the start, in a similar suitation to Ainé, but feck her character is getting annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

I was really enjoying it at the start, in a similar suitation to Ainé, but feck her character is getting annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Penn wrote: »

I think her character deliberately puts on an act in the classroom in front of her students. I binged it all on All4 last night and really enjoyed it. I don't like Aisling Bea, I've heard her in interviews and she's very annoying but her writing for this show is very good and there's no denying her chemistry with Sharon Horgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have watched the first 2 I enjoyed it, I think Bea is actually really good in it, you can tell the character is using humour to mask her inner turmoil, it's slightly more on the drama side than the comedy side some of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

New Aisling Bea program with Sharon Horgan. Aisling Bea can be very witty and Sharon Horgan is the queen of sitcoms with a strong female lead.

Average enough. Aisling Bea's awkward character is on the annoying as opposed to loveable side of awkward. Jokes fall flat a lot of the time. The only funny joke was the
    John Motson jacket joke

Some of the plot lines hit you over the head.

It is a very diverse program. Top marks on that front. Unfortunately the quality does not score as well. Not as good as Catastrophe IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

oldbee wrote: »
    New Aisling Bea program with Sharon Horgan. Aisling Bea can be very witty and Sharon Horgan is the queen of sitcoms with a strong female lead.

Do you mean This Way Up? Thread here already:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110780666#post110780666

Ah, yes. Sorry for the repeated thread! I searched but couldn't find a thread on it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Loving this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Threads merged.

The only funny joke was the
    John Motson jacket joke

We have very different senses of humour. I found a lot funny, but I've a gallows sense of humour. But, the above joke did nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Absolute ****e,full of repeated predictable PC agenda pushing garbage

Mad_maxx wrote: »

So... You're a bit ambiguous about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Such as??

They're all immigrants even though being Irish in London isn't the same as being African in London.

• Advertisement

We have very different senses of humour. I found a lot funny, but I've a gallows sense of humour. But, the above joke did nothing for me.

Yeah, i didn't think it was that great either, just the only time I laughed!

I really want it to be good as all the inputs are top notch, but the execution is poor and it leaves me underwhelmed.

Advertisement