Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Way Up - Aisling Bea

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

I like the writing... and fancy myself a bit of a wordsmith, alas falling into the 'Good' category :pac:

Fleabag is great. Catastrophe is good. I like therm both but this is closer to catastrophe IMO.

Fleabag is great. Catastrophe is good. I like therm both but this is closer to catastrophe IMO.

Yeah agree totally here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

So, like most dubs :pac::p

Supermacs don't know what chips are either.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Supermacs don't know what chips are either.

Supermacs chips are best chips. Simples. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

as in the TV show or the meaning of the word?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Supermacs chips are best chips. Simples. :p

Can't believe they changed the definition of chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Just finished the 6 episodes. Thought it was very good. The "blind date" of episode 3 cracked me up!

I nearl fell off the couch laughing with The Blind Date conclusion !!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭nf2k

Overall I enjoyed this but was a little disappointed - I expected more from a strong Aisling Bea/Sharon Horgan combo. Sometimes I feel Sharon Horgan underperforms and I felt it here. Catastrophe and pulling were great but her performance here just felt a bit by the numbers. Still, well worth a watch and would watch a second series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I loved it , this hate for Aisling is undeserved ,I thought she was great . Even if you didn't like it maybe you should give it time to find it legs .
    Either way I'd happily watch another season .

• Advertisement

God tonight’s got me right in the heart.
    It’s no fleabag...but it’s very close

God tonight’s got me right in the heart.
    It’s no fleabag...but it’s very close

Old school, eh? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

I loved it , this hate for Aisling is undeserved ,I thought she was great . Even if you didn't like it maybe you should give it time to find it legs .
    Either way I'd happily watch another season .

I agree, while it wasn't perfect it was a damn good first series. It was more interesting if you know of Aisling's personal background. I found her character equally frustrating and vulnerable. The episode with her Mother was particularly good. Heard a great podcast where Aisling was interviewed for Cariad Lloyd's Griefcast. Definitely worth a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

I read her article about grief, and thought it was very moving. I felt that the ingredients were all there for me to like this programme, but I just didn’t.

I think it’s the over-acting / gurning that she constantly does - not just for this character, she does it on panel shows too. I think the gurning is so pronounced that it sticks in your head, and that almost obscures what she’s saying - or in this case, the quality of the writing. Which is a pity - I remember when I read her article about grief, being genuinely surprised at how considered it was. I think if she could just tone down the gurning, she would be a lot more believable as a character, and that would let her words and not physical expressions shine through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

qwerty13 wrote: »
    I read her article about grief, and thought it was very moving. I felt that the ingredients were all there for me to like this programme, but I just didn’t.

I think it’s the over-acting / gurning that she constantly does - not just for this character, she does it on panel shows too. I think the gurning is so pronounced that it sticks in your head, and that almost obscures what she’s saying - or in this case, the quality of the writing. Which is a pity - I remember when I read her article about grief, being genuinely surprised at how considered it was. I think if she could just tone down the gurning, she would be a lot more believable as a character, and that would let her words and not physical expressions shine through.

I haven't read the article, but had got that impression from what I had already read.
    I think the fault with the humour- in it not quite hitting the mark sometimes- also lies with the director: in regards to the comedy side of things, timing is everything, and it often feels a little off here. A better director would have not only spotted the over-gurning, but got the timing a bit better (though try doing that with the creator, writer and actor).
    The elements of a really good series are all there, in the comedy and pathos, and its sensitive yet funny approach to mental health issues. It's quite a good series, despite it faults, so a second series certainly has potential to get better.
    I found it started good, and definitely worth sticking with. The last episode was very good tv; in fact, excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

It's alright, quite watchable and worthy of another season. Comparison with Fleabag does it no favours though, it's not in the same league, and doesn't do anything as well as that programme.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Flea bag has always seemed totally overrated to me. I might enjoy this though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Flea bag has always seemed totally overrated to me. I might enjoy this though.

Because you don't enjoy Fleabag? Makes perfect sense. :pac:

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Because you don't enjoy Fleabag? Makes perfect sense. :pac:

Because of how it’s been described here. Fleabag was ok. The reaction to it was over the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Agree. Fleabag was decent and nothing more, but still in a different stratosphere to this rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Apologies if this is slightly off topic but can anyone confirm if Sharon Horgan is the daughter in this 1990's Barrys Tea ad?

• Advertisement

Apologies if this is slightly off topic but can anyone confirm if Sharon Horgan is the daughter in this 1990's Barrys Tea ad?

Its definatly not her but she’s so familiar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,563 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I'll watch this ,.lets give it some legs and see where it ends up .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Its definatly not her but she’s so familiar!
    She's Hilary Reynolds.
    She used to be in The Clinic but I mostly remember her as Harry Molloy's bit on the side in Fair City back in the day.
    I really should feel more embarrassed that I remember that. :pac:

DeepBlue wrote: »
    She's Hilary Reynolds.
    She used to be in The Clinic but I mostly remember her as Harry Molloy's bit on the side in Fair City back in the day.
    I really should feel more embarrassed that I remember that. :pac:

Harry Molloys! That’s who she is

Let’s hang both our heads in shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭brian_t

Channel 4 - July 8th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

qwerty13 wrote: »

I only just finished this first series as I'd caught a little wave of drumming up for the second on social media and pretty much have the same thoughts on the writing and performance.

I like Aisling as a personality, as an actor I've only previously ever seen her in The Fall and Quiz which were minor roles. The projecting of character she does in her comedy routines seems to be the formula she went for to play out this character and it translated very badly to me, awful in fact.

I'll likely give Season 2 a bash however as it's very soon, while the events of Season 1 are fresh in my mind and it's not a very challenging watch at 23 mins an episode and see where it goes...Hopefully up :p

Advertisement