Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Way Up - Aisling Bea

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

I feel as though I should like this show, but somehow it just falls flat for me. It does have excellent individual moments - but somehow the sum of its parts just seem a bit ‘meh’ to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I watched all 6 episodes in one sitting last week and I really enjoyed it.

My wife was expecting a sitcom type series, where as I had already read that it was more of a "dramedy". Not sure what Ch 4 are marketing it as, but maybe they shouldn't push the comedy side of it so much.

Aisling Bea's performance was great. She really sold the character's road to recovery while using humour to get through the hard times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Just finished the 6 episodes. Thought it was very good. The "blind date" of episode 3 cracked me up!

Butterface wrote: »
    I watched all 6 episodes in one sitting last week and I really enjoyed it.

I was supposed to watch this with my wife, but woke up early on a Saturday morning, thought I'd put on the headphones and watch one episode... Thankfully my wife is a good sport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

RTÉ have announced a remake of this set in a Dublin language school; here's a still from the first episode:

empty-classroom.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Was meaning to watch this.
    Sounds interesting. Not like some other attempts.

Horgan and Bea are smart and funny so I'd be surprised if it wasnt good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I'd like to hear an explanation for the sisters' different accents. The older one was clearly the favourite and got sent to a posh boarding school, poor auld Áine had to make do with the local school down the country. No wonder one has a high-flying career and the other has issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

maudgonner wrote: »
    I'd like to hear an explanation for the sisters' different accents. The older one was clearly the favourite and got sent to a posh boarding school, poor auld Áine had to make do with the local school down the country. No wonder one has a high-flying career and the other has issues.

In an interview with Alison Spittle, Sharon Horgan didn't know what Supermacs was.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,257 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

vriesmays wrote: »
    Is it better than Finding Joy.

Yes

In an interview with Alison Spittle, Sharon Horgan didn't know what Supermacs was.

So, like most dubs :pac::p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

its a bit of a dud.

First time Horgan has been off the mark.

Bea is actually main problem, not funny and pointless monologues and bad acting.

Watched the rest. I can see how the emotional stuff would resonate with some, the material is close to my heart, but the execution is ham fisted. The emotional punches don't land properly.

It feels like Horgan is helping her friend. Her production company and she's in a supporting role. It's a shame for for good writers without this network

It's a shame for for good writers without this network

Or it may simply not be for you...

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/this_way_up

It's still a shame that good writers without a network don't get heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

True dat. That said, I can't see from where 96% on Tomatometer comes from (and there's no audience score yet). 3 episodes in, and it's very patchy, and a little forced; Aisling Bea's stand-up persona doesn't translate fully into this dramedy. It's a laughing clown scenario, where she can be pretty annoying sometimes. I do find it enjoyable overall though, and will continue with it.
    For the type of programme it is though, Fleabag is far better.

It's still a shame that good writers without a network don't get heard.

Who says they don't?

Really good writers will get a platform. Simply good writers may not be good enough.

Who says they don't?

Really good writers will get a platform. Simply good writers may not be good enough.

I agree, That's exactly how it should be, but the evidence suggests otherwise. Bea is in the latter category, even fans of the show will agree, and got a deal.

Bea is in the latter category, even fans of the show will agree, and got a deal.

I like the writing... and fancy myself a bit of a wordsmith, alas falling into the 'Good' category :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

maudgonner wrote: »

Sharon Horgan sounds English to my ears, not surprising I suppose when she was born in London and spent a considerable part of her life there. Aisling Bea on the other hand sounds like she just arrived off the boat so to speak so I thought it was odd casting them as sisters

Sharon Horgan sounds English to my ears, not surprising I suppose when she was born in London and spent a considerable part of her life there. Aisling Bea on the other hand sounds like she just arrived off the boat so to speak so I thought it was odd casting them as sisters

They are pally in real life and Horgan's production company backed it. I'm sure it was written with Horgan in mind but yeah, she she has that RP clipped accent to hide the soft Irish ts

• Advertisement

I like the writing... and fancy myself a bit of a wordsmith, alas falling into the 'Good' category :pac:

Fleabag is great. Catastrophe is good. I like therm both but this is closer to catastrophe IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Fleabag is great. Catastrophe is good. I like therm both but this is closer to catastrophe IMO.

Yeah agree totally here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

So, like most dubs :pac::p

Supermacs don't know what chips are either.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Supermacs don't know what chips are either.

Supermacs chips are best chips. Simples. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

as in the TV show or the meaning of the word?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Supermacs chips are best chips. Simples. :p

Can't believe they changed the definition of chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭4Ad

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Just finished the 6 episodes. Thought it was very good. The "blind date" of episode 3 cracked me up!

I nearl fell off the couch laughing with The Blind Date conclusion !!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭nf2k

Overall I enjoyed this but was a little disappointed - I expected more from a strong Aisling Bea/Sharon Horgan combo. Sometimes I feel Sharon Horgan underperforms and I felt it here. Catastrophe and pulling were great but her performance here just felt a bit by the numbers. Still, well worth a watch and would watch a second series.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I loved it , this hate for Aisling is undeserved ,I thought she was great . Even if you didn't like it maybe you should give it time to find it legs .
    Either way I'd happily watch another season .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭Rfrip

God tonight’s got me right in the heart.
    It’s no fleabag...but it’s very close

Advertisement