Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Tutorial Game: Big Trouble in Little Nectopia

• 13-08-2019 9:40am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We begin our story in Minus Sixville, a chilly little hamlet on the outskirts of Forum-Gameston, capital city of the principality known as Nectopia.

b0ddc281550a6027f876e5c016c5922a.jpg

Recently Minus-Sixville had been experiencing some problems. Nestled on the edge of the Black Forest, townsfolk had been attacked, farmers having their crops burned, livestock slaughtered or stolen. With a town guardsforce rather short on numbers, action was swift and immediate.

Martial Law has been declared and conscription enforced, even on those who would normally be only passing through.

And it is here our party find themselves, for reasons only they themselves know.

Out-of-Character Post:When I am not narrating or playing and want to explain something to you I will use OOC: and Italics. Basically, it's up to you why you are here right now, you could have been forced into it or volunteered as a local, that's your decision.

A group of 8, grunts them all (OOC: basically you do the dirty work) and they are gathered around the table in the town tavern. The bar has been commissioned by the Royal Guard of Moddition, those who work (or are forced to do so) for the crown may use the facilities - though it will come out of their meagre pay.

A half-orc bard strums a banjo in the corner, whether he is a part of this group it is unsure at this time.

They are enjoying some downtime, but also aware that at any moment they could be called into action again.

OOC: Take this time to introduce yourselves, get used to speaking to each other in character etc. You can interact with the environment as well if you wish.

One final note is that I deliberately have avoided naming you all in the OP, as if you wish to pick a different name, class whatever for the tutorial that is your decision. But give me your character name when you post so I can narrate you correctly going forward!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

NukLok shifts uncomfortable on the rickety stool, chugging a wine like it's beer and, like all grunts in a militia, grumbles.

"The wine is sour, the heat is oppressive, the room smells like offal, the food is rank and if there is one thing I hate more than orks it's the sound of a ****ing banjo."

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Oltu, who often forgets her name, takes a look around and likes what she sees. Knowing not everyone wants to be here is hard, but I do. I'm glad to be here.

"Hey grumps, you want a pint? Might cheer you up!"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

OldGoat wrote: »
    NukLok shifts uncomfortable on the rickety stool, chugging a wine like it's beer and, like all grunts in a militia, grumbles.

"The wine is sour, the heat is oppressive, the room smells like offal, the food is rank and if there is one thing I hate more than orks it's the sound of a ****ing banjo."
    Zahafdyke sits drinking water from a goblet he owns personally, not wanting to touch the drinking vessels from this dump.

"The banjo mightn't be up to your race's standards elf, but to my ears it's passable. What I hate is walking into a town and being immediately conscripted. I shouldn't have cast that spell, people think every mage is a weapon in hard times"

"Even sour wine tastes better when it's free. Thanks Oltu.

Even your human ears are not immune to that cacophonous assault. You never did tell me what spell you were seen using Zahaf. Was it something salacious, something offensive? Do you know any magic that can make that banjo sound like a flute, or even just make it sound intune?"

Oltu thinks, you know I'm fairly sure I learnt a spell that would help Grumps.

"Not sure if you realise this table were sitting was commissioned by royal, it's the finest in all the land. People travel from far and wide to view it. It's beautiful"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

The tavern doors squeak on their rarely oiled hinges as a figure enters.

The party turns and recognise him as Hemsworth, Captain of their unit.

Chris-Hemsworth-Thor-Avengers-Drawing-Realistic.jpg

He regards them with a brief nod and a sultry stare before making his way to the bar.

I lean forward and examine the table from end to end, slowly, methodically, taking in every detail.

"Ahhh yes, I see it now. From the era of Rough-hewn, in the dynasty of Cobbled-Together with the craftmans mark of the renowned furniture maker 'Shoddy Tat'"
    Grinning, I gulp my wine.

"Anyone want any more of this swill? I'm going to see if the innkeeper has any better fare hidden away. I might have to break curfew to go hunt some fresh meat otherwise."

/Sees Hemsy walking in...swoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Shaadyx scuffles towards the bar with short shuffling steps. A man covered in a large baggy brown hooded-cape, you can't make out his physique, or indeed his face.

He speaks in a soft whisper to the man behind the bar - "Good sir, your finest ale in the tiniest glass you have".

Shaadyx twists his head, his ear pricked at the sound of bardish tunes reflecting off the wooden carcass of the inn. The slightest of side-smiles appears on his hidden face.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

tusk wrote: »
    Shaadyx scuffles towards the bar with short shuffling steps. A man covered in a large baggy brown hooded-cape, you can't make out his physique, or indeed his face.

He speaks in a soft whisper to the man behind the bar - "Good sir, your finest ale in the tiniest glass you have".

Shaadyx twists his head, his ear pricked at the sound of bardish tunes reflecting off the wooden carcass of the inn. The slightest of side-smiles appears on his hidden face.

The bartender peers down at Shaadyx, curious about this little creature in the hood.

'ALE YOU SAID?'

He shouts in a big booming voice.

'AYE, YE CAN HAVE IT IN A THIMBLE OR A TUMBLER, YER OWN DECISION'

Necro wrote: »
    The bartender peers down at Shaadyx, curious about this little creature in the hood.

'ALE YOU SAID?'

He shouts in a big booming voice.

'AYE, YE CAN HAVE IT IN A THIMBLE OR A TUMBLER, YER OWN DECISION'

Shaadyx doesn't move. Still intrigued by this instrument he's not come across before.

He slowly moves his head back around to look the bar tender in the eyes. 'A thimble, sir'

• Advertisement

tusk wrote: »
    Shaadyx doesn't move. Still intrigued by this instrument he's not come across before.

He slowly moves his head back around to look the bar tender in the eyes. 'A thimble, sir'

The bartender grunting something about small folk and shuffles off to fill the thimble.

Hemsworth, observing the conversation swings around on seat to face Shaadyx.

'A wise choice, young man. Best to keep your wits about you right now, I'm waiting on the go-ahead for a patrol.'

The bartender grunting something about small folk and shuffles off to fill the thimble.

Hemsworth, observing the conversation swings around on seat to face Shaadyx.

'A wise choice, young man. Best to keep your wits about you right now, I'm waiting on the go-ahead for a patrol.'

Shaadyx nods towards Hemsworth. Something about him doesn't feel quite right. Maybe it's his rugged good looks, or the fact that he has that air of Nobility that Shaadyx so disdained. Either way, Shaadyx determined, he'd need close watching.

With his thimble in hand, he shuffled to the table where the bard sat playing. Intrigued, he nodded in appreciation, as the bard continued playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

I lean forward and examine the table from end to end, slowly, methodically, taking in every detail.

"Ahhh yes, I see it now. From the era of Rough-hewn, in the dynasty of Cobbled-Together with the craftmans mark of the renowned furniture maker 'Shoddy Tat'"
    Grinning, I gulp my wine.

"Anyone want any more of this swill? I'm going to see if the innkeeper has any better fare hidden away. I might have to break curfew to go hunt some fresh meat otherwise."

/Sees Hemsy walking in...swoons.

From the darkness of the furthest shadowy corner of the tavern a chair scrapes across the dusty floor as Nyshmayla stands up.

She stumbles across the room with a drink sloshing in one hand and a dead pheasant in the other. Dropping the bird on Nukloks unsuspecting lap she slurs “You can have this one, I’d rather the beef” with a drunken wink at Hemsworth who shifts his eyes awkwardly at the attention.

"You, m'Lady, are the very soul of generosity. May your ardour be sated as you have sated my hunger."
    Deftly, with the practiced hands of a hunter, Nuk takes out a dagger and starts to dress the pheasant for spitroast on the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

"Even sour wine tastes better when it's free. Thanks Oltu.

Even your human ears are not immune to that cacophonous assault. You never did tell me what spell you were seen using Zahaf. Was it something salacious, something offensive? Do you know any magic that can make that banjo sound like a flute, or even just make it sound intune?"
    Turning back to the elf after Hemsworth walks in.

"Salacious?! Not at all, a simple conjuring trick for a peasant lad. Made a little bunny hop about in my palm. Then a harmless looking fellow comes up to me and asks 'What else can you do?'. Of course I proudly proclaimed my tutelage under the Fire Mages of Koral and that I could blast a man to bits with but a gesture.

Shortly after the fellow gets the guards to conscript me. The common man has but a pragmatic understanding of magic"

Shaadyx takes a sniff of his ale, dips his pinky into it and rubs it on his lower lip, licking it off just after.

He shudders as his eyes water and a familiar shiver runs from the bottom of his spine to the nape of his neck.

He looks to the bard. 'Tell me friend, what is this contraption you finger so fluidly?'

LadySkunk wrote: »
    From the darkness of the furthest shadowy corner of the tavern a chair scrapes across the dusty floor as Nyshmayla stands up.

She stumbles across the room with a drink sloshing in one hand and a dead pheasant in the other. Dropping the bird on Nukloks unsuspecting lap she slurs “You can have this one, I’d rather the beef” with a drunken wink at Hemsworth who shifts his eyes awkwardly at the attention.

Hemsworth stands, having drained his drink. He makes his way across to the revellers and stands before them, trying his best to not make eye contact with Nyshmayla.

'Hail and well met, recruits. Enjoying yourselves this evening? As I was saying to our robed friend there, not too much though. I am awaiting the go ahead for a patrol into the woods.'

"Hemsworth I don't take orders very well. What exactly do you think you're captioning"

Hemsworth stands, having drained his drink. He makes his way across to the revellers and stands before them, trying his best to not make eye contact with Nyshmayla.

'Hail and well met, recruits. Enjoying yourselves this evening? As I was saying to our robed friend there, not too much though. I am awaiting the go ahead for a patrol into the woods.'
    With his obvious disdain for authority Nuk questions the Captain.
    "Captain Harmsway, are we to dig trenches or clean out the stables again? Those latrines probably need attention too. Or do you have a proper job for us?"

Clarabel wrote: »
    "Hemsworth I don't take orders very well. What exactly do you think you're captioning"

'Captioning....'

Hemsworth regards Oltu with a vacant look.

'Don't worry, nothing out of the ordinary. Routine patrol, talk of goblins close to the town. We are to try and track their movements, see if we can find their lair. I trust those of you with magic have prepared sufficiently for when the order is given?'

• Advertisement

With his obvious disdain for authority Nuk questions the Captain.
    "Captain Harmsway, are we to dig trenches or clean out the stables again? Those latrines probably need attention too. Or do you have a proper job for us?"

Hemsworth laughs.

'Harmsway, well, I suppose that is what I'm doing yes. As I said to your friend it should be a routine patrol. Who knows, if we do find something maybe mucking the stables will be removed from your job description...'

'Captioning....'

Hemsworth regards Oltu with a vacant look.

'Don't worry, nothing out of the ordinary. Routine patrol, talk of goblins close to the town. We are to try and track their movements, see if we can find their lair. I trust those of you with magic have prepared sufficiently for when the order is given?'
    On hearing the word 'Goblins' Nuk drops all pretence and snide remarks and starts to check his weapons, sharpen his blade, put tallow on his bowstring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dublinandy2

Trusting in no one and suspicious of how this group has been forming in front of him, Sobra, the half orc half elf bard puts down his banjo. He casts his eyes over the noticeable people in front of him.
    Zahafdyke
    Nuklok, this man had been casting evil eyes at Sobras banjo playing for a while but Sobra knew his type, he was harmless and just liked to think he was in control.

Oltu, Sobra had heard stories about Oltu. Master of intelligence who liked to fool her enemies into thinking she was an ignorant backwater beast but in reality could mastermind the largest of plots without breaking into a sweat, she would be on to be watched.

Zahafdyke it seemed wanted to be in the place even less than Sobra, but unlike Sobra had a spell cast upon him to force him into subscription. Sobra did not know this creature at all but knew that anyone who didn’t want to be in this place had taken a step in the right direction.

Then there was hemsworth, as tall as he was beautiful. To look at him you knew he was a natural leader and his soft skin hid the fact he was a fearsome warrior with many a battle and kill behind him. Him being meant one thing, whatever the mission was Sobra had to follow it and it had a chance of succeeding.

Shaadyx was what could be best described as a ball of snot, something so slimy his mother thought he was a mistake. Used to succeeding in life by hiding in the shadows of hero’s it made sense why he almost seemed to mimic Hemsworth, step by step, word by word, for without him for protection, he surely would be dead by now.

Finally there was Nyshmayla. The best way to describe Nyshmayla is that Shaadyx would be happy as there was something much lower on the food scale and intelligence scale than him. Sometimes good, sometimes bad Nyshmayla‘s bloodline had a reputation for looking the business, but rarely delivering.

So, Sobra thought to him, they hate my banjo, he picked up the Banjo and strummed on it’s taught strings started to sing.

‘One fine day Nectopia a Banda of creatures did form,
    In the little hamlet on minus sixville they were together in principle even though they had no uniform.
    They ranged from good to bad,
    From legendary to a fad,
    For one purpose......

He continued to sing under his breath as he flipped his banjo onto his back and went outside the building, watching through a window.

He continued to sing under his breath as he flipped his banjo onto his back and went outside the building, watching through a window.

As Sobra exits the tavern he can see the main street of the little town. A smelter across the road beside the local church.
    Further up the street to the north of his position he could see the military barracks and his current lodgings.

To the south, the road wound in a curve but he could make out the foreboding Black Forest just about.

83440-004-9C0DCD41.jpg

the half orc half elf bard puts down his banjo.
    "Thank the ****ing gods."
    ...he picked up the Banjo and strummed on it’s taught strings started to sing.
    "Ahh for ****s sake!"

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dublinandy2

A small creature came up to his legs and started rubbing itself on Sobra, Sobra didn’t like it. He had heard the locals describe this type of creature as a ‘cat’ he lifted his boot and kicked the purring creature away down the road towards the foreboding Black Forest. He knew he’d end up in there even if he didn’t want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Nebelwerfer

Calippo enters the tavern, after having just relieved herself in the outhouse outside the tavern.

"You dont see many half elf, half orcs in this neck of the woods anymore" she thinks to herself after having just passed one such creatures on the way in.

Calippo keeps to the shadows as she moves inside, noticing the large party in front of her. She moves her hood to cover more of her face and takes a seat in the far end of the tavern.

OOC: Perception check to see if I spot Calippo in the shadows.
    (Using Keen Senses for Advantage on perception+ double proficency because I percept a lot)
    Rolz 10+4 =14

OOC: Nebel if Calippo wishes to not be seen by NukLok, gimme a Stealth (Dexterity) check there. Target 15. If not, OG will see you

Rolz Room

• Advertisement

NukLok is unable to see anything and Calippo makes her way to her seat unnoticed.

OOC: For the benefit of our new players, allow me to explain. OldGoat's character attempted to see Nebel's in the shadows and rolled on his stats. He got 14. Nebel countered this with his own roll, which came up as 19 (before modifiers) so he was successful. There'll be a number of times that if you want to do something I'll ask you to roll in the coming days during the game, if you need help please just ask!

Advertisement