Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dungeons & Dragons - The Revival Sign Up Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ok so a couple of you have been onto me and are a bit nervous about the amount of literature I've been providing you for the game.

What would you say to a tutorial level, where we don't worry about stats etc, just to get a feel for the roleplaying element? I have a premade model (thanks Banjo) that depending on player availability I could run over the course of a week or two.

Depending on how that goes you'll at least be better informed as to how the game itself works.

The premade model can be for any amount of players so if some veterans want to jump in and play that's ok too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Can Star Konkur join? He's a barbarian dwarf who has

15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8.

Strength - 15
    Dexterity - 13
    Constitution - 14
    Intelligence - 8
    Wisdom - 12
    Charisma - 10

may change around before game starts and i actually read up about dwarf and barbarian and see that higher stat would be better suited there etc.

Skills: Animal Handling, Survival
    Unarmored Defense: Armor Class equals 10 + 2 + 2 (14)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

sKeith wrote: »
    Can Star Konkur join? He's a barbarian dwarf who has

15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8.

Strength - 15
    Dexterity - 10
    Constitution - 14
    Intelligence - 8
    Wisdom - 12
    Charisma - 13

may change around before game starts and i actually read up about dwarf and barbarian and see that higher stat would be better suited there etc.

Ah sure, why not :D

And OG if you're still reading if I'm allowing sKeith in then I'll make room for you too:)

Just for the 'tutorial level' , i'll vacate again afterwards.

sKeith wrote: »
    Just for the 'tutorial level' , i'll vacate again afterwards.

Oh, sure :)

You won't need stats for that as it happens (Sacrilege, I know :pac: )

• Advertisement

ah well, i only took about 10 seconds assigning them anyhow, they are the base stats from #45.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Guffy

My biggest prob at the moment is writing a bloody background. Not a friggen notion.

I regards the pre run, ya sound but would we be able to incorporate dice play into it. That's where i worry the most tbh as in when we rolls, saving rolls, etc

Guffy wrote: »
    My biggest prob at the moment is writing a bloody background. Not a friggen notion.

I regards the pre run, ya sound but would we be able to incorporate dice play into it. That's where i worry the most tbh as in when we rolls, saving rolls, etc

Precisely my plan Guffy my friend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Name: Zahafdyke the Desert Conjuror
    Class: Wizard
    Race: Human

Strength - 12
    Dexterity - 14
    Constitution - 7
    Intelligence - 9
    Wisdom - 14
    Charisma - 14

Spells:
    Sleep, Magic Missiles, Shield

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Guffy wrote: »

That's a really good sign. It's the people who don't worry about it (and don't have a notion) you have to worry about. The ones who write stories of how their character is an orphan sired by 4 different gods (usually murder gods) and when the evil king burned the orphanage down when they were 8 they had to kill all his ninjas and dethrone him, but at 8 1/2 he was too young to take the throne so he jogged to the moon with his magic feet. And *then* became a first level fighter with sod-all hitpoints. That kind of thing.

Your character is level 1. If they'd done much interesting they'd be level 17. They shouldn't be too interesting yet - that's what the game is for! To tell the story of how they became interesting! So relax - just think of a one word motivation for why you're adventuring (Greed! Lust for power! Lust for lust! Revenge! Necessity! Fear! Boredom! That kind of thing) and flesh the rest out as and when you feel.

If you really want to write a backstory and just need some jumping-off points, you can use the "This is your life" tables from Xanathar's Guide To Everything as a good starting point (https://5e-spelljammer.github.io/lifegen.html#) - Just remember that it will not give you a Ninja-destroying demi-god orphan with magic feet. Unless you roll a lot of natural 20s.

• Advertisement

Ok so my cast for the tutorial game:

Nebelwerfer
    LadySkunk
    tusk
    Clarabel
    Guffy
    Dublinandy2
    sKeith
    Fourier
    OldGoat

I'll get the game thread up and running tomorrow so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Just saw this popped in for a nose. Good luck everyone and enjoy and good luck Necro I used to love playing this irl years ago well Middle earth roll playing with a wonderful crowd in South Dublin.

Thanks khalessi!

If you want to join us you're more than welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Thank you but not this time might pop in for an oul nose if thats ok just back in work and need to get routine sorted first but enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Also just in for the tutorial if that still OK. 10 is a large party to manage so feel free to kill my character off at any point as an object lesson and graphical display of character death. :)

(Running breathless into the assembly point)
    I hear there is is blood to be let. I am here.

(Name)Nuklok
    Woods Elf
    Ranger
    Str)12 (1)
    Dex)17 (3)
    Cons)13 (1)
    Int)10 (0)
    Wis) 15 (2)
    Char) 8 (-1)

Proficiency: Stealth, Survival, Arcana, Investigation, Nature, Perception
    Background; Haunted One. (Family killed by goblinoids, hate them, hunt them, yadda yadda yadda.)
    Alignment : Chaotic good.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Welcome aboard OG! :)

Game Thread is up.

May God have mercy on us all :D

I think this is going well *exhales*

Just gonna wait on sKeith and Guffy to get involved before we progress, absolutely no panic with that. Keep talking amongst each other though and getting used to posting in character!

Ok, finishing up for today (in terms of my responses anyways). I'll be more active tomorrow evening and so can go longer then if peeps are still interested. Thanks for playing so far :)

Lost edit ability, so re-posting.

Star Konkur

He's a barbarian dwarf who has

15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8.

Strength - 15
    Dexterity - 14
    Constitution - 13+2
    Intelligence - 8
    Wisdom - 12
    Charisma - 10

HP: 13

Will may change around before game starts and i actually read up about dwarf and barbarian and see that higher stat would be better suited there etc.

Skills: Animal Handling, Survival
    Unarmored Defense: Armor Class =14 ( 10 + dex mod + con mod )

inventory:
    Great axe (1d12)
    a Backpack
    a Bedroll
    a Mess kit
    a Tinderbox
    10 torches
    10 days of Rations
    a Waterskin
    50 feet of Hempen rope
    4 x javelin

• Advertisement

Was gonna ask you were the horse fitted in but now I get it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSiLKha1GwH_nUR_Am3Sjzrxdi1jdslJaRBXlVEISFEi8Qs3Dr7Rg

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Nebelwerfer

Ok, had some time to compile. Here goes:

Name: Calippo
    Sex: Female
    Race: Tiefling
    Class: Warlock

Background:
    Criminal (SPY)

Speciality:
    Pickpocket

Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral

Stats:
    Strength: 11
    Dexterity: 11
    Constitution: 15 (+2)
    Intelligence: 12 (+1, +1)
    Wisdom: 14 (+2)
    Charisma: 17 (+3, +2)

Equipment:
    a light crossbow and 20 bolts (Class)
    an arcane focus (Class)
    a dungeoneer's pack (Class)
    Leather armor (Class)
    two daggers (Class)

Gaming Set (Criminal BG)
    Thief Tools (Criminal BG)
    a crowbar (Criminal BG)
    a set of dark common clothes including a hood (Criminal BG)
    a bell pouch containing 15 gp (Criminal BG)

Proficiencies:
    Investigation (Class)
    Nature (Class)
    Deception (Criminal BG)
    Stealth (Criminal BG)

Languages: Infernal, common

Features:
    Criminal Contact (Criminal BG)
    Fey Presence (Patron, once a day)

Cantrips:
    Thaumaturgy (Racial)
    Eldritch Blast (Warlock 1)
    Prestidigitation (Warlock 2)

Spells:
    Hex (Class, loaded)
    Unseen Servant (Class, known)

Personality Trait:
    I am always calm, no matter what the situation. I never raise my voice or let my emotions control me.

Ideal:
    Freedom. Chains are meant to be broken, as are those who would forge them. Chaotic

Bond:
    Something important was taken from me, and I aim to steal it back.

Flaw:
    An innocent person is in prison for a crime that I committed. I'm okay with that.

Backstory:

As a child my Parents were taken away from me.

Locked (Imprisonment)into Minimus Containment by an evil wizard through an abjuration spell, my parents bound to a set of Serendibite gemstones.

I was enslaved into a witche's covens, loyal to this wizard, where I spent 2 decades in servitude. I observed as they did, memorized and seized every opportunity to try and escape (with the lashing scars to prove it).

It was not until my late 20's I was visited by the Archfey. My bloodline bound to his servitude, demanding restoration of balance and the retrieval of the stones.

The Archfey offered to exchange my place with another of his followers, which I gladly and desperately accepted.

While I have returned to the coven and repaid my years lost, I never found the patron who took my place. I know I should feel guilty, but find myself thankful instead.

Shortly after gaining my freedom I was pointed into the direction of a shadow organization for some odd jobs and was quickly able to establish a link into a wide criminal network informing allowing me to keep my ear on the ground and get me jobs, which put coins in the purse or offer more 'interesting' rewards.

While I do not consider myself evil, I often find myself among company that would fit exactly such descriptions.

I find myself at the very start of my journey. With my patron to guide me the way, I know my path will cross again with this wizard and the opportunity to seize what is rightfully mine with it.

I dont know what will happen between now and then, nor what will happen after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Ok, had some time to compile. Here goes:

Janey Mack. I want one of those!

Guys is there an evening (or day) that would suit you to continue on with the game, would be better if there was a big party available.

I'm around tonight, all day tomorrow and all day Sunday so let me know your preference :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

I'm pretty available most of saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

I was jus thinking this, yes, I am around Saturday and Sunday AM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Guffy

Working overtime tomorrow from 10. Am free tonight or sunday more or less. As far outside of childrens wakening hours the better though :D

Off for the night, rules on combat coming in the morning. We'll play it by ear as to when to reconvene, perhaps Sunday morning before WW starts if that would suit

• Advertisement

Apologies for the delay on this, RL stuff (sport mainly) got in the way yesterday.

So for combat in D&D, when a group is attacked (or attacks) another creature or character, we first need to determine who will go first.

There are more advanced rules regarding 'Surprise' etc but I'm going to keep this relatively simple for now.

How we determine the order of combat is by rolling for Initiative.

You use a d20 and add your Dexterity modifier in order to determine this.

So if my Dex is 13, I would roll d20+1 (see the modifier table)

Any creatures you are battling would also do the same and the highest number determines who goes first.

So you might have something like this, as an example:

tusk rolls a 16 which is the highest and gets to go first
    Clarabel then rolls a 15
    The monster (in this case a spider) is next with 13
    And so on and so forth for the entire part.

Now in 5e as opposed to earlier editions the initial Initiative roll sticks for the entire combat, ie you don't roll each round.

Following on from initiative we move to the combat phase.

For Attacks, we need to see if you hit the monster.

To hit, you roll a d20 and add the appropriate modifier to your weapon. For melee weapons, this is Strength. If you are using a ranged weapon like a crossbow, you would add your Dexterity modifier.

So for an attack with (eg) sKeith's great axe, he would roll a d20 and use his Strength modifier (which is +2)

This is then compared against the monster's Armour Class and if it equals or exceeds it then he is successful.

(Note if he rolls a 1 it misses irregardless of any modifiers, but if rolls a 20 this would be a Critical hit, which means double damage)

He then rolls for the amount of damage his attack does and again adds his strength modifier - which would be in this case (1d12+2)

So to summarise, for melee:
    • Roll for Initiative (d20+dex mod)
    • Roll to Hit (d20+appropriate mod)
    • Damage Roll (your weapons damage + appropriate mod)

For Spells it's slightly different, I'll explain that in my next post.

The combat continues until one side is dead ( I'll get into death rolls for players if it comes up)

Advertisement