Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's asylum hotel monthly bill tops €3.54m

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

At a time with a large scale homeless crisis for the Irish.

Is there a large scale homeless crisis for Irish people?
    biko wrote: »
    Do-gooders don't give a **** about Irish homeless, there is just no money in it for them. You must have political will to house and feed the homeless, but there is none. There is however, plenty of political will to house and feed people that have never set foot in this country before.

My television, radio etc content must be different than yours because homelessness is mentioned again and again by people from all corners of the political classes.
    Think of what we could do with 3.5 million every damn month !!! :(

We could make a tiny dent in the health or social welfare budget deficits. Most people wouldn't even notice the savings because it'd be so small.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,264 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Someone with political connections in the right places is making a lot of money off them hotels. You can be sure of it!

Mosney Irish Holidays PLC is ultimately owned by an Isle of Man company called Sonning Unlimited, makes a big change from chair-o-planes and bumper cars...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/asylum-industry-companies-behind-the-direct-provision-system-1.2030500

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

All on the taxpayers dime. We really are a soft touch.

No debate on value for money here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

statesaver wrote: »

Some people just aren't getting it that we don't have a choice. Government included. This is a stipulation of being part of the EU. Turkey are being paid billions by the EU to hold migrants from reaching Europe. The camps in Malta and Greece are overflowing.

Basically you ain't seen nothing yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

statesaver wrote: »

Its about time an exercise to scrutinise and map every single cent of taxpayer money is carried out. The Governement seem to just spend so carelessly. An endless pit of money to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Another huge issue is they go out and have children with Irish so as to get a foot in....

Many are fake asylum seekers and should be returned straight away and the airline or shipping company foot the bill ...

You would find the doors would shut quite quickly.

Hadn't thought of that before. Great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Since you're making this personal.

I am a regular contributor to COPE Galway and other local organisations.
    What have you contributed to your local community lately?

Great that you ask. Simon Community here in Cork, next to DAWG and so on.

Anyway the point in my experience is that when it is not the asylum seekers it would be some other group without representation that the thread would be about. Before this whole immigration scare, it were the Irish homeless itself whose fault it was, as they couldn't get their finger out of the hole to get a job and a home.
    Instead of blaming this small group of people, maybe ask if there are bigger players here in Ireland or Europe who could be held accountable or who are to connect that those people had to flee their country and get the money from them?

M

Harika wrote: »
    Instead of blaming this small group of people, maybe ask if there are bigger players here in Ireland or Europe who could be held accountable or who are to connect that those people had to flee their country and get the money from them?

But these are generally not people who have arrived from a direct flight or boat trip from their country of 'non liking', they have selectively arrived here like someone choosing Tommy Hilfiger over Penneys.

But these are generally not people who have arrived from a direct flight or boat trip from their country of 'non liking', they have selectively arrived here like someone choosing Tommy Hilfiger over Penneys.

So? The Dublin Regulation for asylum seekers is not working, everyone knows that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Do-gooders don't give a **** about Irish homeless, there is just no money in it for them.
    You must have political will to house and feed the homeless, but there is none.
    There is however, plenty of political will to house and feed people that have never set foot in this country before.

Bull****, pure bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Some people just aren't getting it that we don't have a choice. Government included. This is a stipulation of being part of the EU. Turkey are being paid billions by the EU to hold migrants from reaching Europe. The camps in Malta and Greece are overflowing.

Basically you ain't seen nothing yet.

Politically you can see a working class rebellion across Europe building.

Salvini,Organ,Le Pen, in Austria etc etc.

That will grow as the crisis grows.

Danzy wrote: »
    Politically you can see a working class rebellion across Europe building.

Salvini,Organ,Le Pen, in Austria etc etc.

That will grow as the crisis grows.

Working class falls into the trap and gets played as shown in Austria, Hungary and Italy
    The crisis is over since years, still those people tell you to be afraid and only they can protect you. *winkwinksmiley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Harika wrote: »
    Working class falls into the trap and gets played as shown in Austria, Hungary and Italy
    The crisis is over since years, still those people tell you to be afraid and only they can protect you. *winkwinksmiley

What crisis is over?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Someone with political connections in the right places is making a lot of money off them hotels. You can be sure of it!

This is separate from places that have been turned into "reception centres" ie it's just hotels conducting their usual business of selling rooms night by night, not the direct provision system. Pointing the finger at them for making money is a bit like accusing the local tesco of profiteering by selling food to asylum seekers-it's not as if there are hoteliers trawling the Mediterranean for guests or making deals with foreign politicians.
    What's really happening is that hotels have been co-opted into an already-collapsed state system to help continue the multicultural, open-border delusion that we as a society have infinite resources to hand out. The real fun begins when the money to fund the delusion runs out.

sabat wrote: »
    This is separate from places that have been turned into "reception centres" ie it's just hotels conducting their usual business of selling rooms night by night, not the direct provision system. Pointing the finger at them for making money is a bit like accusing the local tesco of profiteering by selling food to asylum seekers-it's not as if there are hoteliers trawling the Mediterranean for guests or making deals with foreign politicians.
    What's really happening is that hotels have been co-opted into an already-collapsed state system to help continue the multicultural, open-border delusion that we as a society have infinite resources to hand out. The real fun begins when the money to fund the delusion runs out.

900 euro per head per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The reality is it's a drop in the ocean of all the comings and goings of money that the state processes. I wouldn't let it bother you. Just be thankful you live in a rich country and have the opportunities that you have, and don't have to leave your home and everything you know to go and live in f*cking Mosney for 4 years so you can eventually get a job sitting in a jacks giving aerosol to drunks.
    If you think you have it bad, it isn't because of these people. The inequality on this Earth is absolutely shocking, thank the lucky stars you were born here and carry on living your life, these people and whatever they cost wont make any difference to your life.

The reality is it's a drop in the ocean of all the comings and goings of money that the state processes. I wouldn't let it bother you. Just be thankful you live in a rich country and have the opportunities that you have, and don't have to leave your home and everything you know to go and live in f*cking Mosney for 4 years so you can eventually get a job sitting in a jacks giving aerosol to drunks.
    If you think you have it bad, it isn't because of these people. The inequality on this Earth is absolutely shocking, thank the lucky stars you were born here and carry on living your life, these people and whatever they cost wont make any difference to your life.

If they hold tight for long enough they will obviously be given a house just like our non contributing dole friends. It's easy street then.

Nearly Monday again. Back to work to keep this welfare state going.
    What was it that Leo said about those early risers.
    Mugs

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The thing I really don't understand is the navy picking up people in boats when they are still quite near the shore where they came from then bringing them 100s of kilometres away and housing them???

I can see real issues coming such as strain on more housing and health where we will be left behind.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I lived at home for much longer than I should have to try and save for a deposit. Didn't work out and now I'm paying through the nose for rent. Some of my neibours don't work and have their houses handed to them.

Great country alright.

And you think that's the fault of people claiming refugee status?
    I also had to move home to my loving kind parents for a couple of years in my mid 30s to save for a deposit. The horror.

M

We are not a rich country, public debt is €42,500 per person, one of the highest on the face of the earth.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ireands-public-debt-4757804-Aug2019/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭riddles

Its about time an exercise to scrutinise and map every single cent of taxpayer money is carried out. The Governement seem to just spend so carelessly. An endless pit of money to them.

Accountability and transparency two things us tax payer will never see unless it’s a tax audit of course.

We are not a rich country, public debt is €42,500 per person, one of the highest on the face of the earth.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ireands-public-debt-4757804-Aug2019/

I don't even know what that means. We enjoy a ridiculously high standard of living here compared to the vast majority of the planet.

M

I don't even know what that means. We enjoy a ridiculously high standard of living here compared to the vast majority of the planet.

Living way way beyond our means, public debt will soon collapse the place. Our state pension is one of the most generous on earth, crazy, chasing the grey vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭nw5iytvs0lf1uz

We are neither a rich or large country.
    Send them home with a bag of cash
    Cheaper in the long run.

And you think that's the fault of people claiming refugee status?
    I also had to move home to my loving kind parents for a couple of years in my mid 30s to save for a deposit. The horror.

I know when they are moved out of temporary accommodation that they will be handed the keys of a nice semi detached.
    What do you think happens once they leave dp?

Living way way beyond our means, public debt will soon collapse the place. Our state pension is one of the most generous on earth, crazy, chasing the grey vote.

Well then we're f*cked anyway aren't we, regardless of asylum seekers

Yeah it's a real holiday island. Sure we just sit around all day drinking cocktails taking in the greatness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

sabat wrote: »
    ..... The real fun begins when the money to fund the delusion runs out.
    They will then start to cut programs (health, education, cuts to Gardai/Military resources, etc.) for the indigenous people on the island of Ireland. They will probably raise taxes further to continue with the Fine Geal goal of adding another million to the country by hook or by crook. Simon Coveney said that he could see Ireland having 10 million people living here.

Having a bigger population actually works to the benefit of the country (if there is space and resources for them) ........... as long as the newcomers contribute to the country by working and paying taxes, and not being a drain to the exchequer by requiring welfare, health and housing support.
    However, with the new Fine Gael resettlement plan announced recently for African migrants, we may not be getting migrants who could contribute even if they wanted to (due to lack of skill-set, education, language etc.).

We currently have a situation where approximately 60% of adult African nationals in Ireland are not working. You would then have to wonder why Fine Gael is trying to bring in more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

And we have lunatics like Hazel Chu in the green party that want unrestricted mass migration.

• Advertisement

Let’s say Ireland is a wealthy country. How long can it stay wealthy? How many people from the third world can you help before you have to turn people away? Will the majority of migrants eventually be an asset to the economy and welfare system or will the majority of people who “move” here cost more than they can ever contribute. What happens when Africa’s population quadruples? When do you turn people away?

Only those in government presently or in the recent past know what is going to happen or what the plan is regarding immigration from Africa into Europe.
    It just so happens that John Bruton wrote an article on it recently.

This is our future

http://johnbruton.com/immigration-from-africa-is-inevitable/

Advertisement