Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's asylum hotel monthly bill tops €3.54m

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

Given the chronic shortage of qualified tradesmen, childcare workers, teachers and so many others, I'd wonder why exactly that 13% is unemployed. It's inexcusable with these shortages. Maybe those particular Irish people are just lazy, ambition-lacking layabouts and it's entirely irrelevant how many immigrants there are? (except that they can scapegoat them, of course)

This. SW is allowing them to be lazy layabouts. I know a number of younger people who did SFA with their lives. No idea how to work and live at home whilst the whole household exists on social welfare. They wouldn’t work their way out of a paper bag as my grandad used to say. Rather be up all night playing Xbox and sleeping all day. Wasters.

And, in a few years, they’ll be coming to a new council house paid for by the daylight workers.

There’s lots of issues in this country with nonsense spending and supports but not one politician has any backbone, and I’m sorry but we Irish are just weak and too accepting of mediocrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

MarkY91 wrote: »
    So they're choosing to sleep in a cardboard box as opposed to getting a free hotel room, food and allowance and eventually a free home?

......right.

Many of them don’t want a home. They don’t want the tick tack of daily life, bills to pay, and general responsibility. It’s sad but mental health issues play a large part in their status, and yes there are a large number who don’t want a house because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Story in paper saying huge amounts of the asylum claims are coming from safe countries like Albania and Georgia and South Africa

• Registered Users Posts: 39,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Story in paper saying huge amounts of the asylum claims are coming from safe countries like Albania and Georgia and South Africa

Up to an 99% rejection rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Soft touch Republic

• Advertisement

It's mainly down to getting in more so more is spent and also cheap cheap labour.

Private individuals and multi national corporations are making a killing with the more that come in euro signs are most definitely rolling.....

I don't know who the private individuals are.

But Multi Nationals have fantastic rates of pay and benefits far beyond the average.

I do wonder where this nonsense comes from, it can't be from a healthy well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

McHardcore wrote: »
    You got called on your "facts" about African unemployment. You posted a link to back them up, which instead disproved them. Then you attempt to backpedal by discrediting your own link.
    This has to be a first for boards.ie. Thanks. I got a good laugh out of that. :D
    You are still confused.
    The report that I linked to was written by Irish liberal academics, which was totally skewed to present the African population in Ireland in a positive light. For example, the report went on about the highly educated Africans that we have in Ireland, which was self-reported by the Africans themselves and not verified by the report authors. Pure waffle. And if they are so highly educated, why are so many of them unemployed in Ireland?

The one statistic of note from that report is what I quoted. I did not just provide the link, I provided the statement in the report to reference.
    O’Connell and Kenny (2017) show that only about 40% of adult African nationals in Ireland are employed, far less than the average for Irish natives or for other immigrant groups.
    Maybe when you join the Irish workforce you will have a great appreciation of how much the Africans in Ireland who are not employed is actually costing us.

Kivaro wrote: »
    You are still confused.
    The report that I linked to was written by Irish liberal academics....

The one statistic of note from that report is what I quoted.

Posts a report that disproves his racist bull shít.

Then tries hilariously to discredit the report he posted.

Absolute comedy goal. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Complaining about not being able to take food from the Clayton hotel breakfast buffet back to their rooms to eat during the day. It was understood in any hotel I stayed in that food was provided for consumption there and then , not as a supply for the day ahead.

Also this person was apparently staying in direct provision for 12 years waiting for her "papers". You can be sure this person was spending the time making endless appeals.

https://twitter.com/ddiezworld/status/1161888055931932672

Complaining about not being able to take food from the Clayton hotel breakfast buffet back to their rooms to eat during the day. It was understood in any hotel I stayed in that food was provided for consumption there and then , not as a supply for the day ahead.

Did you ever spend years in a hotel / dp center trying to raise a family?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MarquisDeSad

McHardcore wrote: »
    Kivaro wrote: »
    You actually quoted me repeating the fact from my own link.
    Maybe you should re-read it.

You got called on your "facts" about African unemployment. You posted a link to back them up, which instead disproved them. Then you attempt to backpedal by discrediting your own link.
    This has to be a first for boards.ie. Thanks. I got a good laugh out of that. :D

Classic kivaro :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Boggles wrote: »
    Up to an 99% rejection rate.

And what happens when the applications are rejected appeal, appeal after appeal until they're allowed stay all paid for by you the taxpayer through free legal aid. Should be immediate deportation after their case is heard and no right to any appeals our say should be final.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Stephen15 wrote: »
    And what happens when the applications are rejected appeal, appeal after appeal until they're allowed stay all paid for by you the taxpayer through free legal aid. Should be immediate deportation after their case is heard and no right to any appeals our say should be final.

If they are deemed to have no legal entitlement to stay in Ireland, the justice minister can make the deportation order. The Gardai can then to enforce it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

But Multi Nationals have fantastic rates of pay and benefits far beyond the average.

One contractor I know has three lads from Chile working for him off the books. 5 euro an hour they apparently are living in a 3 bed house in Tallaght with 15 others. No idea about the multis but yes private individuals are making a killing at present and as far as I can see the authorities don't want to know after all it's FG stated policy to increase our population by 1 million by 2040

If they are deemed to have no legal entitlement to stay in Ireland, the justice minister can make the deportation order. The Gardai can then to enforce it.

Thats the theory but doesn't happen in practice does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What are you on about ... Have you been living under a rock?

Of course people are making huge amounts of money providing the provision centre's!!!

Look at courtown and Wicklow for example and many many other hotels which have been turned into provision centre's. They aren't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts ...

I can see in 10-20 years we will be absolutely crippled from all this.

People working now won't get any type of livable pension either as nothing is been done about the deficit.

Sad but Ireland is changing and not for the better.

Thats the theory but doesn't happen in practice does it.

Yes it does happen in practice.

Yes it does happen in practice.

Yes but in very small numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭enricoh

This lie again, by the same token Ireland has a 34% unemployment rate.

Amount of people - Employment rate does not equal unemployment rate.

But you know that. It's all in the report you keep linking to.

:rolleyes:

Meh, if 40% of african adults are working the other 60% are living off the taxpayer. I dont care what % are on the dole, what % are on the disability allowance golden ticket,
    who is on hap, housed by cluid the Council etc etc.
    Same end result, 60% are contributing nothing and costing paddy a fortune.
    We're staring down the barrel of no deal brexit n a global recession n there isnt a fiver left in the kitty.
    Enough is enough, we've enough bums of our own.

Yes but in very small numbers

If you can give me a reference to these numbers il honestly consider them.

• Advertisement

If you can give me a reference to these numbers il honestly consider them.

Well someone mentioned that 99% of asylum seekers from the 3 countries with the highest numbers of applicants are rejected. That should really mean that those asylum seekers should be deported which doesn't happen.

What are you on about ... Have you been living under a rock?

Of course people are making huge amounts of money providing the provision centre's!!!

Look at courtown and Wicklow for example and many many other hotels which have been turned into provision centre's. They aren't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts ...

Also free legal aid solictors being paid for by you and me to represent these people in court while they appeal when their asylum claims get rejected. It's an industry that's being paid for entirely by the taxpayer and backed by the legal profession who make up the majority of our politicans. Complete banana republic which we did not vote for.

One contractor I know has three lads from Chile working for him off the books. 5 euro an hour they apparently are living in a 3 bed house in Tallaght with 15 others. No idea about the multis but yes private individuals are making a killing at present and as far as I can see the authorities don't want to know after all it's FG stated policy to increase our population by 1 million by 2040

Pretty sure you made that up.

You said MNC's, which ones specially?
    enricoh wrote: »
    Meh, if 40% of african adults are working the other 60% are living off the taxpayer. I dont care what % are on the dole, what % are on the disability allowance golden ticket,

Enough is enough, we've enough bums of our own.

Stay at home parents, college students, people on disability, etc are all bums?

Jaysus what a unique little space you occupy.

I'd hate to be you.

Also free legal aid solictors being paid for by you and me to represent these people in court while they appeal when their asylum claims get rejected. It's an industry that's being paid for entirely by the taxpayer and backed by the legal profession who make up the majority of our politicans. Complete banana republic which we did not vote for.

Really, the majority of politicians are made up of the legal profession?

Please show your work Stephen?

Really, the majority of politicians are made up of the legal profession?

Please show your work Stephen?

What I meant to say was that the majority of judges are members of political parties and many solictors join political parties in to become judges

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/revealed-judges-and-their-links-to-political-parties-26792896.html

What I meant to say was that the majority of judges are members of political parties and many solictors join political parties in to become judges

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/revealed-judges-and-their-links-to-political-parties-26792896.html

The opening line
    A THIRD of the country's judges had personal or political connections to political parties before being appointed to the bench, an investigation by the Irish Independent reveals

Is it the majority or a third Stephen?

Could you make up your mind and get back to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭enricoh

Pretty sure you made that up.

You said MNC's, which ones specially?

Stay at home parents, college students, people on disability, etc are all bums?

Jaysus what a unique little space you occupy.

I'd hate to be you.

Who's paying for the 60% not working, their accommodation ? Irish taxpayers, thats who.
    Jaysus, i thought everyone was unique!
    Personal insults off someone on t'internet - meh, not hugely important!! Next u'll be calling us racists - that'd be really really worrying!

enricoh wrote: »
    Who's paying for the 60% not working, their accommodation ? Irish taxpayers, thats who.

We only have Irish Tax payers in this country?

Again that only happens in your unique little space, thank Christ.

Just because someone does not earn an income that does not mean they are a complete burden on the state.

I can't actually believe I have to explain that someone.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

We only have Irish Tax payers in this country?

Again that only happens in your unique little space, thank Christ.

Just because someone does not earn an income that does not mean they are a complete burden on the state.

I can't actually believe I have to explain that someone.

You are too far gone my well meaning friend. When Pascal comes round with the collection plate to cover the cost of the public spend bill I hope you are first to put your hand in the pocket.

Advertisement