Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dungeons & Dragons - The Revival Sign Up Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

By the way, if anyone's stuck or has questions, the D&D forum has a Character Creation Clinic
    If you're struggling to tell your Unitards from your Minotaurs, or you thought Burning Hands was what happened when you have athletes foot and gonorreah but poor personal hygiene, it's the place for you!
    But beware the dreaded Thread Mimic!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Thanks Banjo! I should have linked that myself :o

And I should have sent you the link rather than posting it myself. But I'm a busybody and I'm oddly attached to that Burning Hands joke - it doesn't quite work yet but there's something there if I can just bash it out, by Moradin's Hammer!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Guffy

I'll have a read tonight and tomorrow and let you know by Thursday

Same as this. Mad busy for a bank holiday weekend

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

No panic Guffy, end of the week is fine. I'm off next week so can dedicate some time to getting characters fleshed out and stats sorted :)

• Advertisement

Folks, if you are struggling somewhat to decide on your class/race etc, there are ways to generate your character online:

Class:
    https://www.lucidchart.com/pages/flowcharts/which-dungeons-and-dragons-class-should-you-play

Race :
    https://kotaku.com/a-very-silly-flowchart-for-picking-your-next-d-d-race-1835482758

Ideas :
    https://tetra-cube.github.io/dnd/dnd-char-gen.html

(Thanks to Banjo for the handy links :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dublinandy2

I will be a high elf please, around 350 years old with my class being a bard. My extra language is infernal and I can't seem to find te wizard spell lsit to pick my extra cantrip.

I will be a high elf please, around 350 years old with my class being a bard. My extra language is infernal and I can't seem to find te wizard spell lsit to pick my extra cantrip.

This was up to date as of around this time last year, but it may overly focus on Warlock spells and might include my own notes. But the bit at the top is the main bit
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i9NqapwgCFYjIHcGk_sIizLQLxaclP4-3CX8ruFMi7A/edit?usp=drivesdk

This site is great for getting spell lists, but won't give you the text for anything that's not SRD
    https://donjon.bin.sh/5e/spells/
    You can filter by class, level, components, the works

Banjo wrote: »
    This was up to date as of around this time last year, but it may overly focus on Warlock spells and might include my own notes. But the bit at the top is the main bit
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i9NqapwgCFYjIHcGk_sIizLQLxaclP4-3CX8ruFMi7A/edit?usp=drivesdk

This site is great for getting spell lists, but won't give you the text for anything that's not SRD
    https://donjon.bin.sh/5e/spells/
    You can filter by class, level, components, the works

Cheers, google docs is blocked at work so will check it out at home.

Cheers, google docs is blocked at work so will check it out at home.

Wizard
    (Int)
    Acid Splash
    Blade Ward
    Booming Blade
    Chill Touch
    Control Flames
    Create Bonfire
    Dancing Lights
    Fire Bolt
    Friends
    Frostbite
    GreenFlame Blade
    Gust
    Infestation
    Light
    Lightning Lure
    Mage Hand
    Mending
    Mold Earth
    Poison Spray
    Prestidigitation
    Ray of Frost
    Shape Water
    Shocking Grasp
    Sword Burst
    ThunderClap
    True Strike

• Advertisement

Minor Illusion shall be my extra cantrip. thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Banjo wrote: »
    Wizard

Bard....

High elves get a wizard cantrip, n00b! Zero charisma! Lolz!!!1

(I was just going by what they asked for! Dont hit the face!)

Ok so I have some free time today so I'm going to move on to the next section which starts to make your character more real:

Stats!!

Much of what your character does in the game depends on his or her six abilities, briefly described below:

Strength - measuring physical power
    Dexterity - measuring agility
    Constitution - measuring endurance
    Intelligence - measuring reasoning and memory
    Wisdom - measuring perception and insight
    Charisma - measuring force of personality

Each ability has a score, which is a number you record on your character sheet (Which we'll get to creating later).

The six abilities and their use in the game are described in chapter 7 of the first document. All are important, some moreso than others depending on your class (though Constitution is one that's pretty important irregardless of class as it is linked to your health).

Generally in a tabletop environment what we would do is each roll four six sided dice, and record the total of the highest three dice on a piece of scratch paper.
    Rinse and repeat then for the other 5 abilities and you have your numbers.

Given that we are not in a tabletop environment, there are two ways we can do this, whichever you folks prefer. Once you have your character's race and class determined, pop along here:

D&D Rolz Room

Once you log in, state your name first and give me six rolls of the following command

#4d6

This will do the work for us all. Note your character scores yourself and apply them to your stats.

Alternatively, if you aren't comfortable with rolling just yet you can take the following base stats:

15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8.

Apply them to your six abilities however you choose.

Just to update this I have:

So far I have:

Nebelwerfer: Tiefling Warlock
    tusk: Tiefling Rogue
    LadySkunk: Dragonborn Barbarian (ancestry undetermined)
    Clarabel: Half-Orc Druid
    Dublinandy2: High Elf Bard

Just Guffy to go.

On the stats front then I have tusk's stats just waiting on the rest of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Necro wrote: »
    Just to update this I have:

So far I have:

LadySkunk: Dragonborn Barbarian (ancestry undetermined)

Just Guffy to go.

On the stats front then I have tusk's stats just waiting on the rest of you.

Shoot, didn't realise Neb was tiefling too. Should I change?

Not at all, it doesn't make any difference :)

To the 'Alric' that just rolled and left I need your name and 5 more rolls please :pac:

Same format #4d6

@tusk - if you want to differentiate yourself, and if you want to give Necro a headache, Might I suggest one of the following variant Tieflings?

1. Hellfire.You may replace your hellish rebuke ability with burning hands. This alters, but does not replace, Infernal Legacy

Note, in these next 2 cases you lose the Tiefling feature "Infernal Legacy" so you would lose You the thaumaturgy cantrip, access to hellish rebuke once per day at 3rd level and the darkness spell once per day at 5th level and replace it with :

2. Devil's Tongue. You know the vicious mockery cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast the charm person spell once per day as a 2nd-level spell. Once you reach 5th level, you can also cast the enthrall spell once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
    or
    3. Winged. You have bat-like wings sprouting from your shoulders. You have a flying speed of 30 feet. Worth noting that this is a wee bit unbalanced for fighting anything that doesn't have a ranged attack, and sod all use in doors so I wouldn't recommend it. It's either too good or too bad depending on your situation!

There's also the Feral Tiefling which changes the Ability Score bonuses to Dex +2, Int +1 but is otherwise the same as Classic Tiefling. Unless you go Feral - Devil's Tongue... :D

Actually, there's ****ing loads of them if you look here (and this is an officially licensed source so it must be true!). You're welcome, Necro!
    https://www.dndbeyond.com/races/tiefling

For ****s and giggles, purely for "flavour" purposes, you can roll (1D4+1) and choose (or tabulate and roll for) that many of the following Tiefling traits :
    small horns;
    fangs or sharp teeth;
    a forked tongue;
    catlike eyes;
    six fingers on each hand;
    goat like legs;
    cloven hoofs;
    a forked tail;
    leathery or scaly skin;
    red or dark blue skin;
    cast no shadow or reflection;
    exude a smell of brimstone.

But only do that if you want to kind of reinforce with yourself how uncomfortable your characters physical presence will make others. Don't do it because you want a tail that can hold a dagger or cast spells, 'cause that's not what it's for and that's not what you get.

I've gone and made it too complicated again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Banjo I'm.gonna lose hours of my life to reading that website aren't I?

Just hours? ;)

You could, but it's better to go in with a clear idea of what kind of character you want to create or role you want to play (be that in combat terms or as an ac-tor, dahling) and only look for information that supports your choices. But once you've rolled your character, by all means dive in, never to be seen agaaaaaaaaaain.....

• Advertisement

Ok I have stats for:

LadySkunk: Green Dragonborn Barbarian

And I already know Nebel is:

Just Guffy and fixxxer to go

Ecto you can roll a character up too if you like when you have time and we'll find a way to slot you in for after your holiers.

So folks now we're gonna put things together from everything already decided and put it into a nice neat order for easy finding.

Character Sheet Thread

Any questions you have on any aspects just drop me a PM or ask in the Character Creation Clinic.

Tomorrow or Monday I will go through Modifiers, Determining HP, and Armour Class.

Apologies for the delay, have read through the guide tonight and think I'm going to go with a Half Orc Fighter

Guffy wrote: »
    Apologies for the delay, have read through the guide tonight and think I'm going to go with a Half Orc Fighter

Great stuff Guffy :D I've sent you a PM with your choices for starting equipment as well.

Now you have your stats, you can see that each of the six abilities have a number attached to them. This indicates how strong (or weak) you are in regards to things that may crop up in the game in relation to these.

For example, there may be a large boulder in a dungeon that blocks your path. You wish to move this boulder so I will ask you to roll for me to determine if you can move it. Standard strength would be a simple d20 roll, however your own strength factors into this.

Depending on your own number, you can add a modifier to this d20, as follows:

Score Modifier
    1 −5
    2–3 −4
    4–5 −3
    6–7 −2
    8–9 −1
    10–11 +0
    12–13 +1
    14–15 +2
    16–17 +3
    18–19 +4

So if I have 16 strength, my roll will be d20+3

If I have 9 strength, my roll will be d20-1

And so on and so forth.

Ok so moving on and the final few things needed to fill out your character sheets are your:

HP (Hit Points) - this is your starting health for the game.

AND

AC (Armour Class) - basically how hard you are to hit.

Hit Points are governed by your chosen class, as you can see in either document. So for example, if you start as a Barbarian your starting HP is 12. As above though, this is where your modifiers come into play as well.

So HP is also governed by your Constitution score, therefore alongside your class starting HP, you add your Con mod to get your total HP.

If my Con is 14 then I take my original 12, add 2 for my Con mod, and have my full total of 14 HP.

Armour Class is a little different as it can vary based off the type of armour you are wearing.

Again, for unarmored characters the standard AC is 10. You then add your Dex modifier to this to determine your true AC

So if my Dexterity is 13, and I am unarmored my AC will be 11.

The base rate increases depending on the armor I am wearing, and indeed for the heavier metal armors I do not gain any modifier from this.

So if I was to wear chainmail my AC would be 16, no modifier. There are a number of various ways it is calculated however.

See below for a few quick calculations:
    • No Armour: Base AC = 10 + Dexterity modifier
    • Leather Armour: Base AC = 11 + Dexterity modifier
    • Chain Shirt: Base AC = 13 + Dexterity modifier (max +2)
    • Plate Mail: Base AC = 18
    • Mage Armour spell: Base AC = 13 + Dexterity modifier
    • Barbarian Unarmoured Defense ability: Base AC = 10 + Dexterity modifier + Constitution modifier
    • Monk Unarmoured Defense ability: Base AC = 10 + Dexterity modifier + Wisdom modifier
    • Sorcerer Draconic Resilience ability: Base AC = 13 + Dexterity modifier

Carrying a shield would also increase your base AC by +2.

When im working out my HP do i include the +1 constitution point i get for my race?

Guffy wrote: »
    When im working out my HP do i include the +1 constitution point i get for my race?

That would be added in yes.

So in your case as your class is fighter, you start with 10 HP before any modifiers.

Your base Con is 13, and you get an added bonus of +1 from your race (half-orc) to bring that to 14.

So when we calculate your HP, we see your Con modifier is +2 on the table.

10 +Con mod (2) = 12 HP to start out with :)

Deleted earlier post as I confused myself:pac:

For the others:

Starting HP 8 + Con Mod (2) = 10HP
    AC - wearing leather armor so base rate is 11+ Dex mod (2) = 13

LadySkunk: Green Dragonborn Barbarian

Starting HP 12 + Con Mod (3) = 15 HP
    AC - starting unarmored. Though Barbarians get an unarmored bonus so her AC is a little different
    10 base rate + Dex mod (2) + Con mod (3) = 15.
    She can carry a shield also but if she puts on any form of armour she loses the Dex bonus.

Starting HP 8 + Con mod (2) = 10
    AC - leather armour so same as tusk, base rate 11 + Dex mod (2) = 13.

Starting HP 8 + Con Mod (2) = 10 HP
    AC: leather armour so base is 11 + Dex mod (2) = 13

Guffy: Half-Orc Fighter

Starting HP 10 + Con Mod (2) = 12
    AC - chainmail so no Dex mod. AC is 16.

One of the last things you'll want to do then is to make sure your character has some sort of background. Where have they come from? Why are they now on the path in front of them, in this specific circumstance.

If you're struggling for a way to work this out, here are some presets:

Character Backgrounds

You'll see the character sheets have items like:

Personality Trait:

Ideal:

Bond:

Flaw:

On them. This is a handy way to work all of these things out.

Once you've decided on that, we are almost good to go.

Just need stats and character deets from fixxxer, Ecto and Nebel and we can consider getting this adventure underway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Sorry to have missed the callups. Good luck Necro and I look forward to your first TPK. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

Don't go too far OG, I might open up a secondary game if this one goes well ;)

Advertisement