Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boys - Amazon Prime Original - (**Spoilers**) (No Comic Spoilers!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭scooby77

Myself and the wife finished this last night. Excellent show, a real breath of fresh air. We recommending it all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Loving this show, god what an age of TV. Dark as f**k but equally funny.

One character to a dolphin “ok if I touch it will you just **** up!” . That sounds but but it’s hilarious and actually makes this show even more enjoyable. It shouldn’t but it does!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Got up to episode 6 last night. Don't tell me if it's a spoiler for the last two episodes and I'll put the theory in spoiler tags since I'm basing this on info revealed in episode 6 but:
    Does it seem likely to anyone else that Butcher's wife isn't dead but got pregnant when Homelander raped her and the "sitting for hours" was her response to a failed attempt to abort some kind of super-powered baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Finished this last night,an amazing show. Butcher was meant to have a dog too but the makers decided working with animals is too much hard work.
    Dark,gory,funny with liberal use of c*nt throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Sleepy wrote: »
    Got up to episode 6 last night. Don't tell me if it's a spoiler for the last two episodes and I'll put the theory in spoiler tags since I'm basing this on info revealed in episode 6 but:
    Does it seem likely to anyone else that Butcher's wife isn't dead but got pregnant when Homelander raped her and the "sitting for hours" was her response to a failed attempt to abort some kind of super-powered baby?

Yikes

but given this show.. maybe

(also up to ep 6)

• Advertisement

Finished it last night. Delighted to see it's been renewed and filming was already underway this summer so Season 2 might not be as far away as you'd imagine.

Have turned so many people on to this and everyone I know that's seen it has loved it!

Slydice wrote: »
    Yikes

but given this show.. maybe

(also up to ep 6)
    As a teenager I read the Preacher trades instead of paying attention in Irish class... as dark as my imagination can get, I know Garth Ennis's can get darker!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Finished this last night,an amazing show. Butcher was meant to have a dog too but the makers decided working with animals is too much hard work.
    Dark,gory,funny with liberal use of c*nt throughout.

They did slip a dog into the background of his flashback in episode four, and there's dog stuff left around his flat, which I thought was a nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Didn't see that ending coming at all, love the short season, little or no filler, action, fun, development, repeat, it's the watch of the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

They did slip a dog into the background of his flashback in episode four, and there's dog stuff left around his flat, which I thought was a nice touch.

The dog's name is Terror and one of the producers has said he will be in an episode next season

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Think I'll binge the comics before next season. I read a good lot of them back when they first came out but hadn't gotten as far as the revelation at the end of this season (assuming that's even in the comics).

Really hope they introduce the other superhero team that featured next season, The Deep name checked their leader at one stage this season
    Tech Knight
    , he had a particularly hilarious subplot from what I remember.

1.7: Woah that was a lot! Think they've got a decent checkpoint here. Feels like I can take a break and brace for the finale.
    I think we're in for more flashbacks with Laila Robins and John Doman. They really fit in some roles and they definitely feel like the right fit here.
    They should totally have some senior authority positions in some kind of mission impossible / secret agent films
    The deep gills scene!
    :eek:
    I had to hold on to my ribs!
    Naqib! Well. There's season 2 right there! Looks like some really heavy powered stuff.
    Look at that imdb page:
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm10858907/
    First ever role in any way in the business?
    but like, it also says it's:
    Actress (1 credit)
    I think that's just a typo. I'm guessing the imdb isn't complete.
    It'll probably be very complete after season 2!
    Sleepy wrote: »
    Close
    I was reminded of Alien / Aliens Vs Predator 2
    I still don't know what Butcher knows. Like, he knows something and Mesmers reaction clearly shows it's enough for Butcher to kill for

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Mickeroo wrote:
    Think I'll binge the comics before next season. I read a good lot of them back when they first came out but hadn't gotten as far as the revelation at the end of this season (assuming that's even in the comics).

Me too, they seem to be free with prime.

Finished!
    I did not at any point see that coming. Well played!

What a season! I'll definitely check out season 2 if there is one.

1.8:
    Alright, let's see, really what's it leading to in season 2.
    I guess they are going to have A-Train spy for them.
    Homelander is gonna be busy fighting the Supers he created around the world.
    Giancarlo Esposito has got to return as Edgar .. still not accepting he didn't have some big plan in all of this.
    I can see Starlight and Kimiko team ups to take down some of the bad supers.

Just.. just..
    I can't for the life of me imagine what Butcher is gonna do.

Shockin this is still on my mind!
    a pitcher of Guinness!
    Seriously yuck! and the speed of it like! eeeeewwwwee

Also still so hard to see the same guy there even at the end of the season!
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    Only one I really knew was in this was Urban. Didn't realise Sheriff Hood was Homelander.
    No way? :eek:
    ( his wiki if anyone wants it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antony_Starr )

I didn't even see it!

How much fun was that? Did not see that ending. Some really memorable moments with a dolphin and somebody using a baby in a way that was horrifyingly hilarious.

Have to say I really thought homelandee wasn’t
    the sharpest
    but as it went on you could see that he was a
    cute f**ker and more intelligent then people were giving him credit
    . The way he
    killed or let people on plane die
    was quite savage but brilliant at showing what a
    psychotic
    super hero will do. Also loved how the show showed how he ended up like that. I actually felt a bit
    sorry for that character , little baby in a room and a blanket!

Can’t wait for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

My everyday use of cvnt, while generally high enough anyway due to the amount of them i meet, has gone through the roof. Thanks Butcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Heckler wrote:
    My everyday use of cvnt, while generally high enough anyway due to the amount of them i meet, has gone through the roof. Thanks Butcher.

What about twat? I loved Hughie's line about cvnts and twats.

sweetie wrote: »
    What about twat? I loved Hughie's line about cvnts and twats.

Yeah but you're a good cvnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

After watching it all, Homelander is some character !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This is the best thing I've watched in a long time.

All done. Fantastic stuff. Butcher is my new hero. Props to Anthony Starr. Homelander is all sorts of a prick.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Finished it last night, absolutely brilliant, so well acted, such likable characters some bastards that are brilliant too! Raging it’s only 8 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I don't think I've ever watched another TV show where I've disliked and found the characters actions so frustrating but absolutely loved it and probably why I enjoyed watching it so much. Butcher sounded like he was just out of eastenders or something. To me it felt at times like they were poking fun at the whole superhero stuff. Can't wait for a second season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Really enjoyed it and I'm not into much of the comicbook stuff

Just clicked on it on Prime video yesterday bored out of my head.
    Finished it over the day/night

Really enjoying it so far, proper adult violence and humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

Really great show. Great job of adapting the comics, is kinda a bit different in parts but without shying away from the sort of spirit of the source material (was so disappointed with Preacher, it's fine and even sometimes good but leaves out all the controversial stuff in the comics).

Queen Maeve is actually an Irish actress too which is cool. Amazon are good for knowing when to stop a good thing so I would be really hopeful it will get a few seasons and be wrapped up rather than dragged out unnecessarily or turn into a car crash.

Anthony Starr is amazing as Homelander. Thought I would find it hard to seperate Lucas Hood from the role but he's really done it justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Enjoyed it but I also think it really suffered by not having The Boys
    superpowered themselves like in the comic, it would help to make them interesting (why the feck did they call MM Mothers Milk if they're not going to give him his arc from the comic? Thats just stupid.) In the books Butcher is so menacing and mysterious yet likable, but in this he's just a guy with a dodgy Eastenders accent.

I also preferred in the comics that Compound V
    was just floating in the environment randomly effecting babies, not fully controlled by Vought.
    Again it would have made things more interesting.

Another thing that annoyed me is that in such a short series they wasted a huge chunk of it in the dragged out
    kidnap/killing of Translucent
    , an incredibly boring and bland character who didn't deserve that screentime in any way whatsoever. The time could have been way better spent just showing The Boys day to day work like they did in the comics, messing with Teenage Kix etc, investigating etc.

The worst thing about it I think would be the actor and character of Hughie, compared to the funny and sarcastic Wee Hughie from the comics we get yet another bland weedy nerd character that so many American tv series and writers seem to love, stuttering and bumbling along with nothing of interest to add at all. His scenes with Starlight were just wasting big chunks of the episodes all over the place. I absolutely despise this type of character especially when they give it a love interest to stutter at and be all "cute" with in a way we've seen 1000X before, it must have its own TVtropes page at this stage.

I did enjoy the series and devoured it in a couple of days but with what Ive listed above and a lot of niggles its definitely a wasted opportunity. Anthony Starr was sublime as Homelander though.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Enjoyed it but I also think it really suffered by not having The Boys
    superpowered themselves like in the comic, it would help to make them interesting (why the feck did they call MM Mothers Milk if they're not going to give him his arc from the comic? Thats just stupid.) In the books Butcher is so menacing and mysterious yet likable, but in this he's just a guy with a dodgy Eastenders accent.

I also preferred in the comics that Compound V
    was just floating in the environment randomly effecting babies, not fully controlled by Vought.
    Again it would have made things more interesting.

Another thing that annoyed me is that in such a short series they wasted a huge chunk of it in the dragged out
    kidnap/killing of Translucent
    , an incredibly boring and bland character who didn't deserve that screentime in any way whatsoever. The time could have been way better spent just showing The Boys day to day work like they did in the comics, messing with Teenage Kix etc, investigating etc.

The worst thing about it I think would be the actor and character of Hughie, compared to the funny and sarcastic Wee Hughie from the comics we get yet another bland weedy nerd character that so many American tv series and writers seem to love, stuttering and bumbling along with nothing of interest to add at all. His scenes with Starlight were just wasting big chunks of the episodes all over the place. I absolutely despise this type of character especially when they give it a love interest to stutter at and be all "cute" with in a way we've seen 1000X before, it must have its own TVtropes page at this stage.

I did enjoy the series and devoured it in a couple of days but with what Ive listed above and a lot of niggles its definitely a wasted opportunity. Anthony Starr was sublime as Homelander though.

You may be correct on all that but I think this shows why fans of comics/books can sometimes be disappointed with what they get on screen due to expectations. That’s not an insult, I’m delighted I knew nothing about this show before I saw it because I have none of the negative sentiments that you have shared. Lucky me, I loved this show

Advertisement