Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Good choice, which model ?

Superocean 2 but in all black I hope, if she takes the hints I've been dropping ;)

My buddy has one in black and blue that I posted about earlier, and I like it on my wrist just that the dial in blue was busy IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

What's a 'root beer'? Haven't heard this before...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

blindsider wrote: »
    What's a 'root beer'? Haven't heard this before...

im no expert but its the two tone colour of the rolex.... like a brownish/orangish subtle colour... like the pepsi is the same pepsi cola red/blue colour...

not sure why its root beer but i guess its due to the can it came in? any root beer i've drank is black....

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Root beer comes from the colour of the old cams. Brown / gold . I’m far from being a Rolex or GMT expert but also within the Root beers family there are variations. The nipple dial (stop laughing at the back) GMT commands a premium over the regular one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I am a huge Daytona fanboi...but the price on this is now well beyond pisstaking. Is that really what they go for now....

https://www.adverts.ie/casual/rolex-steel-daytona-full-set/18482867

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

i had an alpinist and sold it but something like that
    Mick , how much do they go for ? Love the look of them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

No he’s too expensive, there are much cheaper steel Daytona’s in London 100%
    If you look at the pic I posted previously is has 2 steel and gold models for under 13k and they aren’t even what I would class as cheap

https://www.adverts.ie/18506504

And yet this seems like ok value from a “dealer” in the current market.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Funny enough FG, your post on the Daytona finally clicked in my head as to why I never got on with the Omega Speedy I had 20 years ago(:eek:) the way I should. I mean I bloody well should. I'm a space nut for a start and was from the time I was not much more than a toddler. Among my collection of tat and clutter I've a fair chunk of 60's NASA original memorabilia, from manuals and checklists to the first IC chips they used for flight. A speedy should be a bloody given. If I were even sailing close to sane. In fairness....

The "reason"? Turns out I don't like three register/subdial chronos. Don't like one register/subdial chronos either, hence I passed on my Seiko Pogue too. Yet another space watch. For me I only get off on two register/subdial chronos. For me they're more "pure" or something? And aesthetically balanced*. From 30's Longines flybacks through the French, Italian, German military issued stuff down to today.

histor12.jpg
    I'd give my left spherical organ of reproduction for the above...

Even the futurist crazy/daft[delete as applicable] :D looking LIP chrono I've hankered after is a two register.

lip-chronographe-tallon-mach-2000-3-couleurs-ref-43756-vers-1975.jpg

It took twenty years for the penny to drop. :D

*given some of the watch designs I like that's hardly a recommendation :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

893bet wrote: »
    https://www.adverts.ie/18506504

And yet this seems like ok value from a “dealer” in the current market.
    TBH * I have almost always ignored dealer pricing, at least in the vintage market. Depending on country of origin - German, American and Japanese tend to be well higher - they were always smoking the wacky baccy as far as "values" went, hoping to snag the newb or passerby. Before the interwebs you had no real choice, though shopping around was easier as values were variable and you could find bargains more easily.

These days I would look at low starting price ebay auction results, then forum sales, then dealers. In order of costs, generally speaking. Auction houses are another matter and vary all over the place. Big ticket auctions can go nust even for the low ticket lots.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

So anyone know where I could get a Tissot fixed? :)

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd give my left spherical organ of reproduction for the above...

The 2 register Zenith's are beautiful, really pop and capture pilot era watches perfectly IMO.
    There a couple of IWC and Glashutte pieces I've seen that evoke the same feelings in me.
    Seriously eyewatering money IMO tho.
    But TBH, nothing has stuck in my head like your bloody Bund :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

i had an alpinist and sold it but something like that
    Mick , how much do they go for ? Love the look of them
    I'd say you'd do well to get one clean around 400 euro maybe bit north of that

The alpinist is a a bit of a sweet spot price wise.. to get a movement better than the 6r15 from Seiko you have to spend a fair bit more

Bloody hell. :eek: There seems to be a trend of watch robberies in the UK.

These could very well end up over here for sale, looks like it was a targeted robbery and they knew exactly what they were doing

https://aboutmanchester.co.uk/100k-worth-of-watches-stolen-in-violent-robbery-at-sale-house/

Christ, I hope the victim is ok and wasn't too hurt during this ordeal!
    That's a huge ordeal and loss to suffer.

how do they know the houses to target is what im wondering, is there some insider info
    deposit boxes are the only way for high value collections

Depending on how someone processes a photo or similar they share, it could easily contain location data in the .exif data.
    If someone shares a few pics of their collection online, that could leave someone a fairly good ballpark of a home address.

There could be a few methods they use. A tip off from a local jewellers who sold/service the watches could be one.

GPS tagged photos on instagram and forums could well be in the mix too. I nearly got caught out there myself many years ago until my fellow mod Bedlam pointed it out to me on one phone pic I put up. Hadn't even occurred to me tbh, but yep in the exif data alongside the exposure stuff was the GPS coordinates. Would have put you right outside my house, or close enough. And this was 8 or 9 years ago. These days you'd get a pic and directions to my gaff from google maps. Down the years I've looked at photos from forums like TZ UK and sure enough a fair number have geotags.

Since then my location services are switched off on any device I use(not just because of geotagged pics, I don't want arsebook google et al tracking me) and my camera doesn't have the facility anyway.

Anyone know what watch (model etc) is featured at the top of the page?

http://www.polmax3133.com/

(BTW - you could spend hours on the site...:D)

I've trawled this, and other sites...but no luck.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Anyone know what watch (model etc) is featured at the top of the page?

http://www.polmax3133.com/

(BTW - you could spend hours on the site...:D)

I've trawled this, and other sites...but no luck.

Thanks.

The description on Polmax's site is probably as detailed as it gets. There was a huge range of 3133 models in the late 90's as the former Soviet watch factories restructured or closed down.

Thanks Daemonic.

I'm specifically interested in the chrono featured at the top of the home page. Do you know what model it is?

I can't see a description for that model.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Hartmann’s in Galway had a 24k watch robbed the other day - https://www.instagram.com/p/B0sls6LC9Pn/?igshid=20jnkpoq7rc7

Time wrote: »
    Hartmann’s in Galway had a 24k watch robbed the other day - https://www.instagram.com/p/B0sls6LC9Pn/?igshid=20jnkpoq7rc7

The sheer brazenness is quite something.
    The fact that a 24k watch could be walked out of the shop is going to do there next insurance quote no favours and will likely lead to a buzz in/out policy or private viewing room for high value stock.
    That's in addition to any retail security guard they will have to hire.

All expenses that will be added to the bottom line and passed on to us buyers at the end of the day.

I hope those prícks are caught and actually jailed!
    Rather than given the option of leaving the jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Lousy thing to happen to Hartman’s but the shop assistant has taken her eye off the ball there, I spend a lot of time in and out of various jewellers and even with airlock systems in place people still try the old slight of hand trick and it always seems to be a certain type of person as shown here in the video. Normally the staff will be on extra high alert when certain customers come in.
    At least nobody was hurt and the insurance will pay out, no doubt the people in the video will have been on the first ferry out of Ireland.

Hate to say it but I think your right. Hartmann’s has probably been the only place where I’ve sat with over 100k worth of front of me a watches and had the sales assistant walk away for a few minutes, everywhere else it’s always one or two items max and they keep them all in sight on the tray

@Daemonic

Fair play!

Good find - thanks for finding it - now...wonder how much they cost, if one could be found. I'll let you know if I find one....

@Daemonic

Fair play!

Good find - thanks for finding it - now...wonder how much they cost, if one could be found. I'll let you know if I find one....

I don't recall seeing that model on ebay any time recently. Good news is, those 90's 3133 models are less sought after so if you do find one, I'd expect it to be less than €300.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this. I am thinking of getting this watch - https://www.fields.ie/seiko-presage-silver-dial-black-leather-strap-men-s-watch

I am a complete newb when it comes to watches, so for starters any thoughts on this watch appreciated.

But the main thing I wanted to ask, I am trying to figure out how one goes about getting other straps? I don't see any other strap options on the Seiko store or on the Fields site, and I don't like the black shiny strap that comes with it. Where does one source 'official' alternative straps, or the best place to source high standard 3rd party straps?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

Time wrote: »

Pretty lax from sales person.

What the hell was the box doing up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

They should give their cctv's an upgrade when the insurance pays out, thats pretty poor quality.

Lousy thing to happen to Hartman’s but the shop assistant has taken her eye off the ball there,

I was going to say the same in my post on this, but I reckon she will have been chewed out enough by management at this stage ;)

• Advertisement

mystic86 wrote: »
    Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this. I am thinking of getting this watch - https://www.fields.ie/seiko-presage-silver-dial-black-leather-strap-men-s-watch

I am a complete newb when it comes to watches, so for starters any thoughts on this watch appreciated.

But the main thing I wanted to ask, I am trying to figure out how one goes about getting other straps? I don't see any other strap options on the Seiko store or on the Fields site, and I don't like the black shiny strap that comes with it. Where does one source 'official' alternative straps, or the best place to source high standard 3rd party straps?

Thanks!
    You really can't go wrong with Seiko M. You can get straps from a few sources, online and off. If you're new to things going to a jewellers is probably your best bet as they'll fit it for you.

Advertisement