Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway – the city of rain and self-aggrandisement?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Galway is incredibly expensive to both buy and rent, relative to the opportunities of any kind offered, it's dearer than Dublin.

Say what now?

Galway is definitely doing very well for itself when people feel the need to argue that Dublin has more to offer in terms of facilities and entertainment opportunities.

Maybe this thread is enough evidence to knock Cork off its perch of being the '2nd city'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭gifted

Galway is definitely doing very well for itself when people feel the need to argue that Dublin has more to offer in terms of facilities and entertainment opportunities.

Maybe this thread is enough evidence to knock Cork off its perch of being the '2nd city'.

Don't talk sh1te....cork was never the 2nd city......it was always the 1st....Corcaigh Abu.....

gifted wrote: »
    Don't talk sh1te....cork was never the 2nd city......it was always the 1st....Corcaigh Abu.....

Saturday morning fishing. Love it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭gifted

Saturday morning fishing. Love it. :)

Hook, line and sinker.... golf clap and worthy winner lol lol

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

Lived in Galway for six years back in the day and never once heard anyone claim it was some cultural mecca or an amazing city compared to others in Europe. Yes, there is the odd wannabe poet or street performer who have an inflated opinion of themselves, but they were generally harmless.

I really do miss the atmosphere around the place in the summertime, but not necessarily the races as its impossible to get near a bar for a pint. Which leads me on to the fact that while I love a lot of the pubs around the city, there really is fcuk all else to do there apart from the nightlife. So while I'm older (not necessarily wiser), not sure if I could live there now

I think you may have just stumbled upon the answer. Galway is a student town. The student days are some of the best days of your life partying and drinking. This is why some people look back on Galway with fond memories. Its not so great when you get older have have to deal with the traffic, rain and cost of living. Unless you dream of working in a medical device factory most people move on to bigger and better things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kikilarue2

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    kikilarue2 wrote: »
    Go back and look at what that difference was 10 or 15 or 20 years ago. Galway used to be far more affordable than it is now by comparison with Dublin. It’s been catching up rapidly over the last few years.

A city of what, 70k people, should be much cheaper than a city of 1m.

Irrelevant. You'd stated the rents weren't greatly different. They clearly are.

80k people.

Cost of accommodation is based on the attractiveness of the location. Not on size.

Well that’s just not true. Cost is based on supply and demand, among a myriad of other factors of which the attractiveness of the location is but one.

Here are some facts about Galway:

- It rains. A lot.
    - It’s congested. Traffic is a huge problem.
    - Public transport is limited
    - It’s dominated by students (this can be a positive or a negative depending on your POV)
    - It’s far less affordable than it used to be. Rent has risen dramatically in the last 10 years. Whereas it used to be maybe 50% less than Dublin, now it’s 25-30%.

It’s kind of nice that you’re so determined to defend it, but you really haven’t been living there that long.

And as you haven’t been single in Galway (correct m if I’m wrong on that) I’m going to go ahead and disregard your opinions on what it’s like to date there. Like ffs, students and overseas visitors are only attractive to a very limited pool of people.

Lived in Galway for six years back in the day and never once heard anyone claim it was some cultural mecca or an amazing city compared to others in Europe. Yes, there is the odd wannabe poet or street performer who have an inflated opinion of themselves, but they were generally harmless.

I really do miss the atmosphere around the place in the summertime, but not necessarily the races as its impossible to get near a bar for a pint. Which leads me on to the fact that while I love a lot of the pubs around the city, there really is fcuk all else to do there apart from the nightlife. So while I'm older (not necessarily wiser), not sure if I could live there now

I think you may have just stumbled upon the answer. Galway is a student town. The student days are some of the best days of your life partying and drinking. This is why some people look back on Galway with fond memories. Its not so great when you get older have have to deal with the traffic, rain and cost of living. Unless you dream of working in a medical device factory most people move on to bigger and better things

This is 100% true. I had some of the best nights out of my life in Galway city. Many did.

Well that’s just not true. Cost is based on supply and demand, among a myriad of other factors of which the attractiveness of the location is but one.

- It rains. A lot.
    - It’s dominated by students (this can be a positive or a negative depending on your POV)
    - It’s far less affordable than it used to be. Rent has risen dramatically in the last 10 years. Whereas it used to be maybe 50% less than Dublin, now it’s 25-30%.

It’s kind of nice that you’re so determined to defend it, but you really haven’t been living there that long.
    You only lived there 6 months....

But... but... but it does.

Maybe that’s so obvious it’s not worth pointing out?

It’s a counterpoint to those saying there’s loads to do in Galway. There isn’t. Sure, there’s loads of festivals in the summer, but outside of the pub, there’s damn all to do on a rainy Tuesday evening any other time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Not to mention that dirty little smelly feckin hobbit...

- It rains. A lot.

You only lived there 6 months....

I’m from 35 minutes from Galway city. I’ve been in and out of it my entire life, and I’ve lived in it on three separate occasions at 22, 25 and 29.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I've a brother a Garda over there. He hates it. Full of crusties.

Guards hate crusties.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

3 or 4 people with dreadlocks doesn't make the place f*cking Christiania. The weather is bad enough in Dublin, it rains twice as much in Galway, f*ck that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

3 or 4 people with dreadlocks doesn't make the place f*cking Christiania. The weather is bad enough in Dublin, it rains twice as much in Galway, f*ck that.

The place must stink with all the unwashed crusties.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I lived in Galway for a number of years and never found the amount of rain that excessive and no worse than west Roscommon or Athlone. Certainly never got as cold as Athlone did in Winter.

West Galway receives lots of rain but City itself about 1000mm annually, same as Cork City, less than Glasgows 1100mm

island_rainfall.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Famine walks and snack boxes.. right up there with Venice!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Say what now?

What's so difficult to understand, you expect to pay more in a city with much greater opportunities.

That is so obvious it is not worth pointing out.

New Yorkers would look at Dublin like it's a ghost town compared to their access to sports events, Broadway, concerts, sights etc but it would be pointless mentioning it in a discussion about what sort of city Dublin is.
    It’s a counterpoint to those saying there’s loads to do in Galway. There isn’t. Sure, there’s loads of festivals in the summer, but outside of the pub, there’s damn all to do on a rainy Tuesday evening any other time of year.

Black Box, Town Hall, Mick Lally theatres all run events year round.
    There's regular comedy nights, live gigs, throughout the year.

What do the vast majority of people do on a regular Tuesday night? Stay at home, gym, yoga/pilates, cinema, night classes, go for a drink, 5 a side, and so on. None of which the people of Galway are excluded from outside of June and July.

That is so obvious it is not worth pointing out.

New Yorkers would look at Dublin like it's a ghost town compared to their access to sports events, Broadway, concerts, sights etc but it would be pointless mentioning it in a discussion about what sort of city Dublin is.

Black Box, Town Hall, Mick Lally theatres all run events year round.
    There's regular comedy nights, live gigs, throughout the year.

What do the vast majority of people do on a regular Tuesday night? Stay at home, gym, yoga/pilates, cinema, night classes, go for a drink, 5 a side, and so on. None of which the people of Galway are excluded from outside of June and July.

If a New Yorker said to me “There isn’t much to do in Dublin compared with NYC” I’d say “You’re absolutely right”.

Because there is.

I wouldn’t try to pretend Dublin is on a par with NYC.

• Advertisement

If a New Yorker said to me “There isn’t much to do in Dublin compared with NYC” I’d say “You’re absolutely right”.

Because there is.

Nor is anyone suggesting Galway is on a par with Dublin.

Because there is.

Nor is anyone suggesting Galway is on a par with Dublin.

Oh, okay I guess we’re in agreement then. The impression I’ve been getting is that those defending Galway think it’s as good as or better.

Oh, okay I guess we’re in agreement then. The impression I’ve been getting is that those defending Galway think it’s as good as or better.

That's on you, kikilarue2. :)

That's on you, kikilarue2. :)

I mean, it’s the whole point of the thread?

Anyway, I’m strolling through the Phoenix Park toward the zoo, ttyl!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Joe Kane

Im a Galway man, live south of the county & I can't stand Galway City. Full of crusty's and eyre square is full of perverts & winos. Thankfully I'm just as close to Limerick as I am to Galway and hardly ever need to go to Galway now since the motorway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Galway is seriously overrated and coasting on its 1980s/90s era reputation as a “cultural” hotspot but it still is a rather nice little city and very well located in terms of stunning hinterlands such as Connemara and The Burren.

The rain is annoying - but it’s the horrendous traffic thanks to atrocious urban sprawl, piss poor planning and the proliferation of one off housing in its hinterland - that is a major negative of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

- It rains. A lot.

And as you haven’t been single in Galway (correct m if I’m wrong on that) I’m going to go ahead and disregard your opinions on what it’s like to date there. Like ffs, students and overseas visitors are only attractive to a very limited pool of people.

Supply and demand being entirely down to the attractiveness of what's on offer.

Rain figures are comparable to Cork. More than Dublin but less than other spots on the Atlantic coast.

Traffic problems depend on your location. On the western side of the city far better than on the east. I've found it pretty easy. Certainly not the madness I had in London and Dublin is comparable. It's also easy to cycle around and for many the town centre is within walking distance.

Public transport is no better nor worse than elsewhere in the country. All could be improved.

There's a huge student population indeed. But they generally tend to drink at home then come into town late at night so they're not the main demographic in the pubs during the week. There's also a large tourist presence at all times of the year. I welcome both groups.

Every city in the country is less affordable. Dublin unsustainably so for younger people, relatively few of whom have any chance of getting on the housing ladder. In comparison the other Irish cities have properties that are obtainable.

I've lived here for two years, had worked here previously for a year before taking off for Asia, Australia then Oxford and London. I know the city pretty well and am defending it mainly due to my surprise at the vitriol towards it. If the New York Times, Irish Times, Guardian, Travel & Leisure and other publications are raving about the town can you then blame the local denizens for being proud of it? They're not saying it's better than other places, they just happen to like where they live.

And btw no, I'm not single but how would that preclude me from observing the dating scene here? Pals give feedback and the town is immensely friendly. Hard to avoid contact on a night out with people that may appeal to you. I also don't use crystal meth but am not obstructed from commenting on its cultural impact either.

Finally, why are so many people who don't live in Galway so concerned about the place? As a city it must be doing something right.

Nonsense. Four functioning theatres including the National Gaelic Language Theatre and The Druid. Several cinemas including the only arthouse movie theatre on the west coast. Classical music in several churches or the cathedral weekly. Regular literary events (I went to one with Kevin Barry last week) and talks at the university.

Several gig venues catering for all genres of music (in the past year I've caught Orbital, Sleaford Mods, Caribou, Waterboys, Villagers, John Grant, Delines, Flaming Lips, Jason Lyttle of Grandaddy, Therapy and loads of other acts here). There's indie and trad every night. The club scene gets prestigious international and national DJs plus dance acts doing sets. Hot Chip DJ'd here last month, Leftfield in two weeks.

There are festivals every month of the year. This weekend has the Festival of the Sea and Omey Beach Races down the road. The pride festival is in nine days, the longest running continuous Pride in the country, now in its 30th year. The Oyster festival is next month. The Vodafone comedy festival is in October with a music festival alongside it.

As before, if you can't find something to do on a rainy Tuesday night then you ain't making the effort.

Better in some ways. Worse in others. As you'll likely find when comparing most cities. My reason for pointing out the stuff that's available in Galway is that some posting here seem to have no experience of the city beyond the pubs and are thus making the lazy assumption that there's therefore nothing else there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Poor Waterford doesnt even get a mention, it must be Irelands most neglected city yet has so much potential

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement