Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend electric folding scooter for end of commute (Mod Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Mine won't go about 25kmh. I've seen ones capable of alot faster. That woman in the N4 (who I regularly see going through town) is an idiot. This is why regulation is needed. Limit the speed. Limit where you can use (within reason).

I tried getting insurance and couldn't get any. I also contactes motor tax about getting it taxed and no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

pablo128 wrote: »
    There was an idiot woman driving along the N4 in the bus lane on one of these scooters the other day. You can blame morons like this for the scooters not getting approved.

What was the woman doing?

Do cyclists use the N4?

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do cyclists use the N4?

Only brave souls do, for the short stretch before the Lucan turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Enough to cause a fatal injury without doubt. It's the speed and weight of the rider and machine that'd impacting potentially.

The difference between eBikes (25KG), trad bikes (10KG) and eScooters (12KG) doesnt really matter, when the rider is say 60-100KG its proportionally a very small part of the momentum they have upon collision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

I have no idea the point of that piece. Bikes regularly do that. Are they saying she was going too slowly, quickly or just that its illegal? Someone in a recumbent is far more of a risk. I accept these are illegal but I have no idea what the issue with them is. most users would pay a tax and insurance. And it would be made more palatable by getting cyclists do same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

AhHaor wrote: »
    I... And it would be made more palatable by getting cyclists do same...

Considering it didn't work anywhere that was tried is there a reason you want to spend Millions repeating that failure.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/road-safety/news/germany-to-unleash-e-scooters-on-streets/

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

beauf wrote: »
    Considering it didn't work anywhere that was tried is there a reason you want to spend Millions repeating that failure.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/road-safety/news/germany-to-unleash-e-scooters-on-streets/

I was only approaching it from an Irish point of view. We seem to have an inability to be adults about tricky situations.

I was thinking from my point of view and if I was told 50 euro would make the scooter unequivocally legal then I'd happily pay. Tho I've also waved at Guards on the scooter and got a wave back.

That's looking at all the experience from other countries and Ireland historic tax evasion ......and ignoring every bit of it.

We have a rate of cycling fines of something like 2 or 3 per day for the entire country. That's assuming those figures aren't vastly inflated as they usually are.

Entirely pointless bringing in new laws when we ignore the existing ones.

At the end of the day the aim is to reduce car use. Not force alterative forms of transport off the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

ED E wrote: »
    The difference between eBikes (25KG), trad bikes (10KG) and eScooters (12KG) doesnt really matter, when the rider is say 60-100KG its proportionally a very small part of the momentum they have upon collision.

Sorry but the weight means nothing.

I was a pro 2 wheel person until I witnessed a OAP getting taken out by a cyclist that had broken a red traffic light. I tried to help her (78 and now with a broken hip) and the cyclist fecked off. (Got me going down the first aid path, so it was life changing for both of us).

A small collision can cause major injury. A small fall can break fingers. wrists etc.

A bag of cement weighs about 25Kg. Go to a garden centre and a bag of stone is 25 kg, big bags of compost 25kg.

If you think that pedestrians will be uninjured by an impact with that weight, please PM me so we can test it on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

was over in Brisbane they have a app called lime where you can pick up a scooter from anywhere and drop it off wherever you want, the best part is that certain streets are geo fenced so the scooter only goes 8kmh in those zones

very good for tourists cost me 20 dollars to tour the whole city in my own time

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

prinzeugen wrote: »
    If you think that pedestrians will be uninjured by an impact with that weight, please PM me so we can test it on you.

That's what ED E was saying. You appear to be disagreeing with someone who agrees with you, and making some kind of weird physical threat.

As far as "pro 2 wheels" or not, getting hit by 100kg on 2 wheels is much preferable to 2000kg on 4 wheels, but it's not the number of wheels that count, it's the person controlling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I was a pro 2 wheel person until I witnessed a OAP getting taken out by a cyclist that had broken a red traffic light. I tried to help her (78 and now with a broken hip) and the cyclist fecked off. (Got me going down the first aid path, so it was life changing for both of us).

A small collision can cause major injury. A small fall can break fingers. wrists etc.

A bag of cement weighs about 25Kg. Go to a garden centre and a bag of stone is 25 kg, big bags of compost 25kg.

Weight means a lot as does momentum. A car hitting a wall at 20kmh will go through it. A cyclist would bounce off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

At the end of the day the aim is to reduce car use. Not force alterative forms of transport off the road.
    This isn't the cycling forum.

Sorry but the weight means nothing...I was a pro 2 wheel person until I witnessed a OAP getting taken out by a cyclist that had broken a red traffic light. .....

I don't get this. If I saw someone jay walking cause an accident, should I then become anti walking?

Scooters should be Treated the same as eBikes it's not complicated.

This isn't the cycling forum.

....and..?

Scooters should be Treated the same as eBikes it's not complicated.
    They can't be treated the same because the e-bikes are assisted and you can't make an assisted scooter of any conventional design that would go faster than slow jogging pace, on account of legs having no gears.

We don't have any legislation that deals with vehicles of this sort that are entirely propelled by a motor, apart presumably from mobility scooters which are presumably type approved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

fergus1001 wrote: »
    was over in Brisbane they have a app called lime where you can pick up a scooter from anywhere and drop it off wherever you want, the best part is that certain streets are geo fenced so the scooter only goes 8kmh in those zones

very good for tourists cost me 20 dollars to tour the whole city in my own time

They have the same in Wroclaw Poland. Great way to get around. Fun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Thanks for the link. If she was not originally in the bus lane, then she is an idiot.

The bigger idiot is the person who filmed it. He was obviously driving while filming and he was a far greater danger than the woman on the scooter. He should be given penalty points and a fine.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    They can't be treated the same because the e-bikes are assisted and you can't make an assisted scooter of any conventional design that would go faster than slow jogging pace, on account of legs having no gears.

We don't have any legislation that deals with vehicles of this sort that are entirely propelled by a motor, apart presumably from mobility scooters which are presumably type approved.

Seriously....:rolleyes:

#1 actually yes you can. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QvtcLe4vGc

#2 You don't need to copy ebike legislation verbatim, and allow unassisted scooters to 25kph in cycle lanes. As lots of other places have done.

Seriously....:rolleyes:

#1 actually yes you can. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QvtcLe4vGc

#2 You don't need to copy ebike legislation verbatim, and allow unassisted scooters to 25kph in cycle lanes. As lots of other places have done.

That's not assistance in the same way that ebikes are assisted, the boost lasts for 10 seconds!

I'm not arguing about new legislation on a different basis, I'm countering the argument that e-scooters and ebikes can be treated the same.

The top speed is only one factor.

You're just being pedantic. In a non powered scooter you don't kick constantly. You coast for lots of it.

We can look at other countries and legislate similarly. Generally they are very similar laws to those of ebikes.

You're just being pedantic. In a non powered scooter you don't kick constantly. You coast for lots of it.
    That's an interesting point.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Warsaw has loads of them. It's very noticeable now when you go to the city. It was mostly young people on them but I seen some older using them to. The good thing is they are not noisy.

You could have loads of people in Ireland using them to go to work and wouldn't hear a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Limpy wrote: »
    Warsaw has loads of them. It's very noticeable now when you go to the city. It was mostly young people on them but I seen some older using them to. The good thing is they are not noisy.

You could have loads of people in Ireland using them to go to work and wouldn't hear a thing.
    Malaga has them and they are a complete hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

They have the same in Wroclaw Poland. Great way to get around. Fun too.
    Same in Prague. It's All over major European cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Lumen wrote: »

I agree that they cannot be classed the same as assisted bikes. They are two entirely different types of vehicle.

They are covered by legislation. They are MPVs under the RTA. They are treated exactly the same as a motorbike at the moment.

The problem with making these legal is that you may open up loopholes that could cover other types of powered two wheel vehicles (electric mopeds, motorbikes etc).

Mobility scooters are classed as invalid carriages and are not covered by domestic road traffic law except from being banned on motorways (as far as I am aware).

They would be EU type approved as invalid carriages not road vehicles.

They are toys though. The minute a motor goes in it it becomes a MPV. While they may look similar, they are two very different types of scooter legally.

We know the law it needs to change.

It's not a problem it's what we want. Electric scooters, mopeds, motorbikes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/more-than-half-of-travellers-use-cars-for-journeys-under-2km-1.2303451%3fmode=amp

• Advertisement

Lights is an issue. The law w.r.t. lights on bicycles is ancient and compromised by the reliance on small self-contained (in the light) batteries. e-bikes managed to get away without any special lighting regs as they are piggybacking on the antiquated bicycle regs.

In a powered vehicle it makes sense to require decent permanently wired lights as part of the type approval.

But it's not obvious to me how scooters should be lit at the rear. Is lighting near ground level acceptable from a visibility perspective? Maybe with modern leds, bathing the ground in a pool of light actually helps?

Advertisement