Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

As above

When did Germany and other Central European countries break their record low temperatures?

On a side note, provisional figures from the UK now suggest the all time record was broken yesterday.

Shocking the number of records broken this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

compsys wrote: »

Shocking the number of records broken this summer.

Sun finally out today in Cork after four days of solid wall-to-wall cloud!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Sun finally out today in Cork after four days of solid wall-to-wall cloud!

Was only 50/50 though! Just some sunny soells.. But hey not rain. I even managed to sit outside for a while for some heat! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,079 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Nice clear night here in Castlebar. Good view of the ISS passing over a few minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭appledrop

This thread has gone a bit mad. Can we get back to reporting the local weather in Ireland. No record breaking temperatures here.

Rain shower here recently in North County Dublin. Cooler this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

A nice cool clear night here in West Clare, room temperature finally dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

This morning's charts are absolutely shocking - cool, cloudy with slack areas of lp not really going anywhere because it doesn't have anywhere to go ...... 'if temperatures broke into the mid teens in Ireland'
    I would write off the first half of August, you really would have to feel sorry for those who holiday in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This morning's charts are absolutely shocking - cool, cloudy with slack areas of lp not really going anywhere because it doesn't have anywhere to go ...... 'if temperatures broke into the mid teens in Ireland'
    I would write off the first half of August, you really would have to feel sorry for those who holiday in Ireland!

I used to commiserate with tourists when it was bad weather and each and all said that they do not come here for the weather.. if from dry areas they love the rain here. They love ireland whatever the weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Amazing how the weather changes between 4 am and now.. Bright, dramatic skies and a freshening kind breeze...

quite lovely, and a grand drying day for the scythed hay

west mayo offshore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Yes because as soon as they show anything bad they are suddenly accurate :rolleyes:

The absolute last thing tourists come here for is the weather.

In my experience tourists actually think the weather is far worse in Ireland than it actually is. At least in Dublin.

Tourists I speak to often seemed to think it rained non stop - literally - in Ireland so are often surprised when they see some sun.

It’s those who live here that I’d feel sorry for!

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Yes because as soon as they show anything bad they are suddenly accurate :rolleyes:

Yeah. Last Saturday, this week just gone, apart from Monday, was looking dire.

But it’s turned out really pleasant for those in the East each day with >22 temps, sun and little rain.

Hopefully things will trend drier and better.

I do feel bad weather gets downgraded just as much as good weather in Ireland. We just don’t notice it as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

This summer has been fine. Not particularly amazing but certainly not terrible either. Plenty of opportunities to get out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Definitely a sense of warming this morning but Malahide still struggling to shift the haze

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A nice bright morning in Castlebar, touching 20C with humidity in the low 60s for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

Beautiful morning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Pressure trend for between days 10 & 15 on today's ECM. Showery seem to be the general overall theme but still warm.

jSksOXn.png

I'm counting down the days to October because this summer seems to be going forever. Just no enjoyable coolness in the air at all.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Interesting to see. I wonder is July panning out similar to average July figures? Can’t really compare vs last year as last summer was so exceptional in terms of hot dry weather

We are running roughly between about 0.7 & 1.0c above average for July so far, and not that much cooler than last July believe it or not. This July feels far more humid though for some reason.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

MidMan25 wrote: »
    We all may wish for northern blocking in winter but it is the last thing we want to see in summer!
    The absolute last thing tourists come here for is the weather.
    I am fully aware that no tourists from abroad go to the Aran Islands to get a suntan but I was referring to Irish people who decide to holiday at home especially those with young children.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

July has been a very good month, especially after the extremely poor June. Temperatures have reached a minimum of 20C most days this month, with only 8 days of far this month not reaching 20C at home in Dunshaughlin. The next week looks relatively dry and settled with temperatures around normal or slightly above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I don't like heat or sun and I work outside a lot, and from my perspective this July has seemed just as hot and dry as last year - though I think we got proper heavy rain showers for two afternoons. It has been more humid and more overcast but it has felt breezier this year which has made it a little more tolerable most days. I'd be surprised if the stats for Casement are much different for this year except maybe for sunshine. Which is a shame really as I have hated this July just as much, but the sun lovers in my life also seem unhappy so it seems to have pleased nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

I'm counting down the days to October because this summer seems to be going forever. Just no enjoyable coolness in the air at all.

You want a cool summer do you? I certainly don’t enjoy them but each to their own.

As Gonzo said, this July has consistently been warm and mainly dry in most parts which is a pleasant surprise to me. Most July’s are utter rubbish in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

but the sun lovers in my life also seem unhappy so it seems to have pleased nobody.

Indeed, I don't have the daily sunshine totals for Casement currently but at Dublin Airport, this July has seen 138.9 hrs up to yesterday which is slightly below average (whole monthly average is 164 hrs) but no big deviation.
    esposito wrote: »
    As Gonzo said, this July has consistently been warm and mainly dry in most parts which is a pleasant surprise to me. Most July’s are utter rubbish in Ireland.

We've had a good amount of decent Julys this decade in my opinion, 2013, 2014, 2018 and now 2019. 2016 wasn't terrible either, just lacked the sunshine. August is a different kettle of fish..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

esposito wrote: »
    You want a cool summer do you? I certainly don’t enjoy them but each to their own.

Big issue here has been the absolutely crippling humidity levels. Doing any work out side and its like a sauna... I'm seriously thinking of moving somewhere with a nice desert to farm camels ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Warm and sunny again in meath, might break out the bbq again this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Beautiful morning in SW Cork this morning but dark clouds rolling over now with slight sprinkles...

486519.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

That's a nice day. Mostly sunny and 20.2C with a nice refreshing breeze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭Calibos

There is always major conflict within me when it comes to Irish weather. For example, I was disgusted last year when the West of Ireland and the UK saw temperatures into the 30's and we on the East Coast missed out and yet......lasted about 1 minute sitting out in 26ºc heat last year and said to myself, "Feck that for a game of Soldiers!!". I guess I'm like a child in that respect. I want what others have and am disgusted we invariably always miss out, but give me even a taste of the heat or snow and I'm "WahWah, Don't want!!!" :D Its just the Geographical and Climatological unfairness of it all that gets to me. LOL. To be so close to both the Hot extremes and the Cold extremes but always miss out all but once a decade just rubs me the wrong way! The weather nerd in me wants to see extremes but my body doesn't actually like experiencing them! :D Yet in reality the Irish Climate actually suits me down to the ground when I think about it rationally. No extremes of Heat, no extremes of Cold, no extremes of Storms or winds, no extremes of Rain.

Advertisement