Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jojo Rabbit [Taika Waititi]

• 23-07-2019 5:56pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The latest from Waititi now has its first trailer; the director also stars in his own film, playing ...

*checks notes*

... uh, Hitler?

:D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh and this is a statutory reminder if if you're reading this and haven't yet watched "Hunt for the Wilderpeople", please stop what you're doing and go watch it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,877 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Rebel Wilson I'm out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It looks like a film of cameos, I'm sure she's only in it for a 5 minute scene if you're that allergic? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oh and this is a statutory reminder if if you're reading this and haven't yet watched "Hunt for the Wilderpeople", please stop what you're doing and go watch it :D

Yes. This should be my mail signature in work...... and where the hell can I get a bagel burger???!!!

I've being waiting for this for ages. Fair play to him for making it. I'm sure there will be many "Marvel Movie Maker Mocks Mass Murderer" (Or.... y'know.... Desperately trying to think of a Thor/Hitler pun). It's one thing doing "One for me and one for them". It's another to do a huge tentpole movie and then make a film guaranteed to inspire the wrath of keyboard warriors who have yet to see the film.

Is that Sam Rockwell? It's being waiting for this but still trying to keep in the dark. Rachel House Goddamn better be in it (For Thor fans: The Master Jeff Goldblum's right hand man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Is that Sam Rockwell? It's being waiting for this but still trying to keep in the dark. Rachel House Goddamn better be in it (For Thor fans: The Master Jeff Goldblum's right hand man.

Don't forget 'No Child Left Behind'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Rebel Wilson I'm out.

Since it's from a director who's been making the most entertaining comedies in last ten years, I really wouldn't write off a film because an actor you dislike has a role that likely isn't big. Would be a bit like opting out of a Paul Thomas Anderson because Adam Sandler is in it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the trailer looks funny but probably all the best gags?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

First trailer left me very uneasy, but that new one gives me great hope.

There's a serious Wes Anderson vibe going on. Much as I like Wes movies, hopefully this will have it's own style.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople was a breath of fresh air, and Ragnarok is the only superhero movie I've really enjoyed in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

pixelburp wrote: »

just finished watching it. marvelous. I'll have to sack my cleaner though. I got dust in my eyes a couple of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,104 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

just finished watching it. marvelous. I'll have to sack my cleaner though. I got dust in my eyes a couple of times.

now watch "What we do in the Shadows"

Waititi is great, and this looks excellent (& was that Stephen Merchant I saw in the trailer?)

are those 2 tracks online anywhere?, the Monkees one is an earworm now

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I liked all his stuff so far so will give this a shot too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I got to see this last night and though I enjoyed it I couldn't fully get on board with it. I'm a big fan of Taika Waititi's films and his sense of humour but the setting proved a bit of a barrier that I struggle to get past. It does have some great moments of comedy, it has some moments that hit you in the gut, the main performances are great but it still hasn't sat well with me overall.

I'll be curious to hear other's opinions. There is no doubt others will not have issue with it and love it. When it's on tv in a few years time I'll give it another go.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I really liked this - the use of a naive 10 year old boy is a good choice, since it allows for a light-hearted tone that would otherwise sit ill with the setting and subject matter. It's notable that the film doesn't shy away from the grimmer elements of the story, and manages to make them land all the more effectively for the earlier scenes light tone.

I've heard it described as being very 60s in tone in its depiction of WWII, which I think is accurate. A lot of the music is totally anachronistic but still works.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Staystrong32

I didn't really like it, the plot didn't hook me. So, I even couldn't watch it to the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

I see the screener for this is online, will be a lot of bumps on this thread over the coming days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Wasnt too gone on it and I think its probably because I expected a lot different film than is depicted in the trailers it's a very slow burner and quite sad really , there is one scene with Stephen Merchant that is absolutely gripping though and I guess it was worth a watch just for that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I enjoyed it... But thought I was going to be laughing my way through it so probably went in with the wrong expectations.

It was a bit slow to get going. Some great scenes. Merchant was great as someone mentioned!

I dunno ha.. Meh. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

That was awesome....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Also enjoyed this and thought it threaded a good line between the grim and the humourous but it is very much a film you take to or not. Thought the kids were great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Enjoyed it a lot. At 12A, I wouldn't be taking children much younger than 12 to it. A couple of scenes I think might upset them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

I thought it was excellent. One of my favorite films of 2019 (based on US release dates). I laughed at a lot of the humour and thought the performances by Roman Griffin Davis and Scarlett Johansson were very good. I was in awe of Roman Griffin Davis. At times he appeared to have the acting skills of someone with considerable more age and experience.

As mentioned above, the scene with Stephen Merchant is very tense, and there is a moment involving
    shoes
    that is a total punch to the gut.

My main critical takeaway is that I'm unsure if Taika Waititi's character works. That's not because he is playing a total caricature of Hitler but rather I don't think he adds much to the movie aside from a few jokes (which I thought become increasingly stale). There is already plenty of character development for JoJo during his scenes with other characters. I'll need to see the movie again to fully make up my mind on this.

Overall though, I really liked it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Didn't work for me, alas. There's a friction between the Taika Waititi zany black comedy and the sentimental WW2 drama that never fully resolves. The different tones are clashing against each other rather than playing off each other. Even taken as two individual films they're not particularly strong - the comedy isn't as sharp as Waititi's best, and the drama a tame and over-familiar wartime story. Credit where credit is due: Waititi did try, but IMO the film never really found itself and comes across rather confused. His own presence as Imaginary Hitler perhaps represents that best - a quirky idea that ultimately never pays off the way you hope it will.

That said, a handful of scenes and moments do offer a spark - the Gestapo sequence is pretty well done, and the
    Hitler and the window
    gag pays-off at the end. Waititi is not Wes Anderson, but some of his visual ideas are striking (
    such as Rosie's death
    ). And no question that the three main young actors do pretty exemplary work - Griffin Davis, McKenzie and Yates are all excellent across three very different roles. It helps that they have far stronger material than any of the adult characters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

Didn't work for me, alas. There's a friction between the Taika Waititi zany black comedy and the sentimental WW2 drama that never fully resolves. The different tones are clashing against each other rather than playing off each other. Even taken as two individual films they're not particularly strong - the comedy isn't as sharp as Waititi's best, and the drama a tame and over-familiar wartime story. Credit where credit is due: Waititi did try, but IMO the film never really found itself and comes across rather confused. His own presence as Imaginary Hitler perhaps represents that best - a quirky idea that ultimately never pays off the way you hope it will.

That said, a handful of scenes and moments do offer a spark - the Gestapo sequence is pretty well done, and the
    Hitler and the window
    gag pays-off at the end. Waititi is not Wes Anderson, but some of his visual ideas are striking (
    such as Rosie's death
    ). And no question that the three main young actors do pretty exemplary work - Griffin Davis, McKenzie and Yates are all excellent across three very different roles. It helps that they have far stronger material than any of the adult characters!

I'm increasingly of the opinion that the movie would have been better without Imaginary Hitler

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭robinbird

RickBlaine wrote: »
    I'm increasingly of the opinion that the movie would have been better without Imaginary Hitler

Would tend to agree. Particularly given that he wasn't even meant to be Hitler but rather a 10 year olds idea of what Hitler would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Straight to film of the year 4/5.

Evening welling up at some points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I liked this, but didn't love it. Of all the Taika Waititi films I've seen I'd probably rate this as the lowest of them.

Some things were great, like the performances from the kids and Scarlett Johansen. There were also some scenes and moments that were brilliant. But the tone was all over the place. It felt like it needed another draft of the script or something.

The thing, however that really dragged it down was
    Taika Waititi himself. Everything about having Hitler be the imaginary friend just didn't work. The film didn't need it. I'm not sure what he was thinking, as his performance reminded me of the favourite uncle doing a funny turn to make the 7/8 year old nieces and nephews laugh. But as far as I can see, that's not the intended audience for this film. So it seemed weird and out of place. The gurning every time he showed up got really old, really fast. And as someone who has a lot of time for him that was disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

Really enjoyed it. It is a fairly peculiar blend of black comedy and bleak drama (especially in the context of 1945 Germany), but it worked for me, one minute you're laughing and the next you're feeling your guts twisting. Great performances all around as well, there's one truly magnificent scene involving Stephen Merchant that's truly as good a rollercoaster of emotions as you'll ever find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭El Duda

Jojo Rabbit – 8.5/10

Really glad I chose this as the first film of 2020. It’s a wonderful little film that has heart and pathos in buckets. I left the cinema feeling choked up for a good while as the films message felt very current and relevant. It gets its anti-propaganda message across brilliantly and uses the child’s perspective to nullify the horror of 1945 Germany. I also felt that the film touched on the theme of loneliness which is an often-overlooked issue in these modern times.

I notice a lot of reviews saying that Taika as Hitler didn’t really add anything to the movie which I understand but don’t necessarily agree with. There were one or two scenes with him that could’ve been trimmed but I think his inclusion adds a lot to Jojo’s character development.
    Roman Griffin-Davis puts in a performance well beyond his years and has insanely good chemistry with Thomasin McKenzie and Scarlett Johnansson. Stephen Merchant’s brief appearance is incredibly tense and an early contender for scene of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭GhostofKNugget

I think the imaginary Hitler works in the context of the movie although I agree with others that a couple of his scene are probably unnecessary. Spoilering my thoughts so I don't spoil it for anyone that hasn't watched it.
    JoJo is a kid who, despite his bravado with his best friend, is too sensitive to have the machismo that seems to come naturally to others in the Hitler Youth. He is essentially fatherless as his father is away fighting and seems to be considered missing in action but even that seems to be a bit more complicated as the bullies in the camp make reference to his father’s supposed cowardice and desertion - it seems later in the movie that he might have joined the Resistance but that’s never made completely clear. In that sort of vacuum, it would seem pretty natural that a 10 year old is going to turn to someone to inspire him and build him up and he turns to his hero, Hitler. The Hitler we sees is only ever a figment of his imagination and so is only ever going to reflect his youthful concerns and his view and knowledge of the wider world. The longer the movie goes on and the more JoJo’s relationship deepens with Elsa, the less dependent JoJo is on his relationship with his imaginary friend.

I really enjoyed this film overall and thought the cast did a fantastic job, the young stars and Sam Rockwell in particular. Bonus points for brilliant use of Bowie and Tom Waits.

I enjoyed it and it kept my attention, but the mash of comedy and a realistic drama was a bit jarring at times , the Nazis were veering between Allo Allo or Monty Python . I did like Sam Rockwell’s character Captain Klenzendorf , he was believable as the cynical soldier whereas I didn’t like Rebel Wilson’s character who was too light and breezy but had lines like “go hug an American” . Maybe it would have been better if we didn’t get to see or hear the imaginary hitler directly as for me anyway it wasn’t believable that any 10 year old would conjure up that particular version

I laughed and I ( nearly ) cried- a GREAT film and wonderful acting by all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm a big fan of Flight of the Conchords and What We Do in the Shadows so was interested in seeing this.

Others have touched on it and I agree: it did have a hint of Wes Anderson about it and also some of the humour of Mel Brooks. I liked the premise overall.

The Hitler character was ridiculous but in a good way. It's obviously meant to take the piss and be presented through the eyes of a 10-year-old boy who clearly has no idea what his hatred is actually based on. This could be seen when
    the adults are laughing at his book despite him regurgitating descriptions from Nazi propaganda aimed at children.
    It was also a useful tool for playing off the kid's loneliness and you can see that as he grows into himself, Hitler fades away.

I don't have a problem with their being a suggestion that there were some "good" Nazis. People are complex and varied. It's quite a valid point to say that all those in a discriminated group don't fit into stereotypes; the same is true about those members of groups that deserve hatred.

While it's presented as a comedy, the harsh realities of war are never too far away and always more than enough to bring you back down to Earth. The final"battle" scene is harrowing, as are the
    scenes with the shoes and even the soldiers driving off in the truck all pumped up and coming back with their tails between their legs.

Stephen Merchant was brilliant in that one scene. I liked Rebel Wilson. She was over the top but I can't imagine what she was saying or doing was too far from anything that was really said or done. Scarlett Johansson was great.

I think it's a good film and an important one, given the current situation with the rise of hatred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Reading the thread this really seems to be something of a marmite film that obviously very much depends on one's taste in humour.

I loved it. Laughed out loud half a dozen times (which is unusual for me, I tend to me more of a "smile at a funny line" type) and loved that it didn't shy away from the horrors of war. Scarlett Johansson was excellent and I personally loved how they used Hitler as the imaginary friend who reinforced JoJo's view of the world and how he was supposed to live as a "good" little Nazi. The best friend got some great lines too the
    "I could do with a cuddle"
    line at the end brought tears of laughter and a real sense of pathos at the same time.

For those who enjoyed it, or those who found the subject matter interesting but would have preferred it without the comedy, I'd recommend Hans Fallada's novel "Every Man Dies Alone" which was released as "Alone in Berlin" in the UK when it was finally translated from German 62 years after it's release! (I've just discovered after spellcheckin the Author's name with a quick google that it was adapted as a movie in 2016 featuring Brendan Gleeson and Emma Thompson under that name too - one for the watchlist though the reviews don't look pretty!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Hitler and the window
    such as Rosie's death
    This is pretty spot on imo, it is no hunt for the wilderpeople!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just watched this. Really didn't know what to make of it first... but it really grew on me as the stakes got higher. All said, it's a bit of a gem. A rarity of a movie.

One thing that is grating on me. How did Scarlett Johansson get nominated for an Oscar for this? Anyone could have played her character. As soon as we meet Elsa - Thomasin McKenzie - she takes over the film. She was utterly mesmorising and far more deserving of plaudits. Typical Hollywood loving their royalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I didn't have much expectations going into this. And I don't 'follow' directors so while I know the name of Waititi, I don't know his work off hand. This is kind of deliberate, so I don't have expectations based on previous, unrelated work.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I believe it got the balance of dark comedy and realism just right for a film with this tone. It was a comedy, but due to the settings it also kept the evil undertone of the time. Unlike others, I really like Imaginary Hitler.
    I think he acted exactly as an Imaginary Hitler would in a 10 year olds head, one which has been filled with lies and hate to coax the kids into fighting for him. I also reckon that's why IH is comedic, because as a 10 year old you wouldn't have a serious IH in your head.
    The scene with the Stielhandgranate was brilliant! And all leading to that final IH scene, I reckon he thought of that idea first and built a film around it!

Then again, I take most films at face value and try not to think too much into it. I usually can't find hidden meanings, or artistic decisions, so if there was one here, I didn't get it. It was a good dark comedy with fantastic child actors, but I can see how the setting may leave some with a less glowing review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

My friend hated it - he would be big into war movies of the genre - more down to making a mockery of it I would say
    Myself I thought there was a lot of heart warming scenes - but the imaginary Hitler was really jarring for me, maybe because he was played for laughs. If it had been played more serious it might have worked more - dunno
    Would give it a 6/10 - don't understand how it is getting such a high rating

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I absolutely loved this!! It was near perfect in my eyes and definitely something I'll rewatch. Imaginary Hitler worked for me because the eyes of this devoted ten year old were the perfect lens through which to see the true absurdity of Nazi ideology. Moments like "go hug an American" played for laughs but yet completely unsettling, I think it's one of the blackest comedies I've seen and yet completely heartwarming. I can understand why the to Al shifts might have jarred for some though. The acting was fantastic all around and I disagree with a previous poster that anyone could have played the mother, Johannson's performance was subtle but excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I thought it was excellent!

I was really surprised that I enjoyed the mishmash of sentiment,history and slapstick comedy and that they worked together to deepen the impact of the film. While the imaginary Hitler didn't play a role in the story arc as such I thought his addition underlined Jojo's childlike understanding of war and what he was doing in Hitler youth. Hitler was a "superhero" cartoonish type role model to a confused little boy, conversely Jewish people were "baddies" and monsters. He had no genuine understanding of what was going on at all. I've haven't seen a film about kids caught in the Hitler youth movement from their perspective before and this definitely caused me to reflect on what a horror it was to brainwash children into such awful hatred, how they were victims too. I loved how they used lots of gentle little touches to illustrate that clearly, like the bit where he's telling his little nazi youth friend
    I have a girlfiend and shes a jew and his friend basically says "oh lovely, congrats you!"
    Overall I think they threw Jojo's innocence about the war he was fighting and sacrifing family for in your face in a clever way and Hitler was part of it. In Germany a 94 year old man has been tried in juvenile court for war crimes committed when he was below their age of full legal responsibility so the that aspect of the film isn't without some serious relevance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

loyatemu wrote: »
    now watch "What we do in the Shadows"

Waititi is great, and this looks excellent (& was that Stephen Merchant I saw in the trailer?)

'We're werewolves not swearwolves' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

I don't follow directors as such so I didn't know this was the same guy that did What we do in the shadows, which I loved but I loved JoJo. The leads were seriously impressive and I'd watch Sam Rockwell in anything. Lot of comedic moments and some serious gut punches.

Ooof I dunno. I've generally loved Wahtiti's work but this was his biggest misfire, and a bit of a hot mess if I'm honest, with two utterly contrasting styles clashing from scene to scene. The end result being the film often blowing apart at the seams as it tried to marry the director's goofy comedic style with the grim realities of WW2. While the cinematography looked great with a Wes Anderson inspired aesthetic, the narrative almost never worked for me and without spoiling too much, came to a chaotic head at the end where both tones tried to occupy the same space. Ironically it was the most overtly goofy element, the imaginary Hitler, that worked best, being as he was the invention of a 10 year old child. Instead, it was the manner in which all the humans around him behaved like cartoons and caricatures that robbed the film of any pathos. To be blunt, the Nazis were made to look like total idiots, which undermined the whole message and drama of the film.

Advertisement