Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jojo Rabbit [Taika Waititi]

• 23-07-2019 4:56pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The latest from Waititi now has its first trailer; the director also stars in his own film, playing ...

*checks notes*

... uh, Hitler?

:D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh and this is a statutory reminder if if you're reading this and haven't yet watched "Hunt for the Wilderpeople", please stop what you're doing and go watch it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Rebel Wilson I'm out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It looks like a film of cameos, I'm sure she's only in it for a 5 minute scene if you're that allergic? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oh and this is a statutory reminder if if you're reading this and haven't yet watched "Hunt for the Wilderpeople", please stop what you're doing and go watch it :D

Yes. This should be my mail signature in work...... and where the hell can I get a bagel burger???!!!

I've being waiting for this for ages. Fair play to him for making it. I'm sure there will be many "Marvel Movie Maker Mocks Mass Murderer" (Or.... y'know.... Desperately trying to think of a Thor/Hitler pun). It's one thing doing "One for me and one for them". It's another to do a huge tentpole movie and then make a film guaranteed to inspire the wrath of keyboard warriors who have yet to see the film.

Is that Sam Rockwell? It's being waiting for this but still trying to keep in the dark. Rachel House Goddamn better be in it (For Thor fans: The Master Jeff Goldblum's right hand man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Is that Sam Rockwell? It's being waiting for this but still trying to keep in the dark. Rachel House Goddamn better be in it (For Thor fans: The Master Jeff Goldblum's right hand man.

Don't forget 'No Child Left Behind'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Rebel Wilson I'm out.

Since it's from a director who's been making the most entertaining comedies in last ten years, I really wouldn't write off a film because an actor you dislike has a role that likely isn't big. Would be a bit like opting out of a Paul Thomas Anderson because Adam Sandler is in it....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the trailer looks funny but probably all the best gags?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

First trailer left me very uneasy, but that new one gives me great hope.

There's a serious Wes Anderson vibe going on. Much as I like Wes movies, hopefully this will have it's own style.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople was a breath of fresh air, and Ragnarok is the only superhero movie I've really enjoyed in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

pixelburp wrote: »

just finished watching it. marvelous. I'll have to sack my cleaner though. I got dust in my eyes a couple of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

just finished watching it. marvelous. I'll have to sack my cleaner though. I got dust in my eyes a couple of times.

now watch "What we do in the Shadows"

Waititi is great, and this looks excellent (& was that Stephen Merchant I saw in the trailer?)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

are those 2 tracks online anywhere?, the Monkees one is an earworm now

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I liked all his stuff so far so will give this a shot too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I got to see this last night and though I enjoyed it I couldn't fully get on board with it. I'm a big fan of Taika Waititi's films and his sense of humour but the setting proved a bit of a barrier that I struggle to get past. It does have some great moments of comedy, it has some moments that hit you in the gut, the main performances are great but it still hasn't sat well with me overall.

I'll be curious to hear other's opinions. There is no doubt others will not have issue with it and love it. When it's on tv in a few years time I'll give it another go.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I really liked this - the use of a naive 10 year old boy is a good choice, since it allows for a light-hearted tone that would otherwise sit ill with the setting and subject matter. It's notable that the film doesn't shy away from the grimmer elements of the story, and manages to make them land all the more effectively for the earlier scenes light tone.

I've heard it described as being very 60s in tone in its depiction of WWII, which I think is accurate. A lot of the music is totally anachronistic but still works.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Staystrong32

I didn't really like it, the plot didn't hook me. So, I even couldn't watch it to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭s8n

I see the screener for this is online, will be a lot of bumps on this thread over the coming days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Wasnt too gone on it and I think its probably because I expected a lot different film than is depicted in the trailers it's a very slow burner and quite sad really , there is one scene with Stephen Merchant that is absolutely gripping though and I guess it was worth a watch just for that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I enjoyed it... But thought I was going to be laughing my way through it so probably went in with the wrong expectations.

It was a bit slow to get going. Some great scenes. Merchant was great as someone mentioned!

I dunno ha.. Meh. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

That was awesome....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Also enjoyed this and thought it threaded a good line between the grim and the humourous but it is very much a film you take to or not. Thought the kids were great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Enjoyed it a lot. At 12A, I wouldn't be taking children much younger than 12 to it. A couple of scenes I think might upset them.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭RickBlaine

I thought it was excellent. One of my favorite films of 2019 (based on US release dates). I laughed at a lot of the humour and thought the performances by Roman Griffin Davis and Scarlett Johansson were very good. I was in awe of Roman Griffin Davis. At times he appeared to have the acting skills of someone with considerable more age and experience.

As mentioned above, the scene with Stephen Merchant is very tense, and there is a moment involving
    shoes
    that is a total punch to the gut.

My main critical takeaway is that I'm unsure if Taika Waititi's character works. That's not because he is playing a total caricature of Hitler but rather I don't think he adds much to the movie aside from a few jokes (which I thought become increasingly stale). There is already plenty of character development for JoJo during his scenes with other characters. I'll need to see the movie again to fully make up my mind on this.

Overall though, I really liked it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Didn't work for me, alas. There's a friction between the Taika Waititi zany black comedy and the sentimental WW2 drama that never fully resolves. The different tones are clashing against each other rather than playing off each other. Even taken as two individual films they're not particularly strong - the comedy isn't as sharp as Waititi's best, and the drama a tame and over-familiar wartime story. Credit where credit is due: Waititi did try, but IMO the film never really found itself and comes across rather confused. His own presence as Imaginary Hitler perhaps represents that best - a quirky idea that ultimately never pays off the way you hope it will.

That said, a handful of scenes and moments do offer a spark - the Gestapo sequence is pretty well done, and the
    Hitler and the window
    gag pays-off at the end. Waititi is not Wes Anderson, but some of his visual ideas are striking (
    such as Rosie's death
    ). And no question that the three main young actors do pretty exemplary work - Griffin Davis, McKenzie and Yates are all excellent across three very different roles. It helps that they have far stronger material than any of the adult characters!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭RickBlaine

Didn't work for me, alas. There's a friction between the Taika Waititi zany black comedy and the sentimental WW2 drama that never fully resolves. The different tones are clashing against each other rather than playing off each other. Even taken as two individual films they're not particularly strong - the comedy isn't as sharp as Waititi's best, and the drama a tame and over-familiar wartime story. Credit where credit is due: Waititi did try, but IMO the film never really found itself and comes across rather confused. His own presence as Imaginary Hitler perhaps represents that best - a quirky idea that ultimately never pays off the way you hope it will.

That said, a handful of scenes and moments do offer a spark - the Gestapo sequence is pretty well done, and the
    Hitler and the window
    gag pays-off at the end. Waititi is not Wes Anderson, but some of his visual ideas are striking (
    such as Rosie's death
    ). And no question that the three main young actors do pretty exemplary work - Griffin Davis, McKenzie and Yates are all excellent across three very different roles. It helps that they have far stronger material than any of the adult characters!

I'm increasingly of the opinion that the movie would have been better without Imaginary Hitler

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

RickBlaine wrote: »
    I'm increasingly of the opinion that the movie would have been better without Imaginary Hitler

Would tend to agree. Particularly given that he wasn't even meant to be Hitler but rather a 10 year olds idea of what Hitler would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Straight to film of the year 4/5.

Evening welling up at some points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I liked this, but didn't love it. Of all the Taika Waititi films I've seen I'd probably rate this as the lowest of them.

Some things were great, like the performances from the kids and Scarlett Johansen. There were also some scenes and moments that were brilliant. But the tone was all over the place. It felt like it needed another draft of the script or something.

The thing, however that really dragged it down was
    Taika Waititi himself. Everything about having Hitler be the imaginary friend just didn't work. The film didn't need it. I'm not sure what he was thinking, as his performance reminded me of the favourite uncle doing a funny turn to make the 7/8 year old nieces and nephews laugh. But as far as I can see, that's not the intended audience for this film. So it seemed weird and out of place. The gurning every time he showed up got really old, really fast. And as someone who has a lot of time for him that was disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

Really enjoyed it. It is a fairly peculiar blend of black comedy and bleak drama (especially in the context of 1945 Germany), but it worked for me, one minute you're laughing and the next you're feeling your guts twisting. Great performances all around as well, there's one truly magnificent scene involving Stephen Merchant that's truly as good a rollercoaster of emotions as you'll ever find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭El Duda

Jojo Rabbit – 8.5/10

Really glad I chose this as the first film of 2020. It’s a wonderful little film that has heart and pathos in buckets. I left the cinema feeling choked up for a good while as the films message felt very current and relevant. It gets its anti-propaganda message across brilliantly and uses the child’s perspective to nullify the horror of 1945 Germany. I also felt that the film touched on the theme of loneliness which is an often-overlooked issue in these modern times.

I notice a lot of reviews saying that Taika as Hitler didn’t really add anything to the movie which I understand but don’t necessarily agree with. There were one or two scenes with him that could’ve been trimmed but I think his inclusion adds a lot to Jojo’s character development.
    Roman Griffin-Davis puts in a performance well beyond his years and has insanely good chemistry with Thomasin McKenzie and Scarlett Johnansson. Stephen Merchant’s brief appearance is incredibly tense and an early contender for scene of the year.

Advertisement