Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I can't find any info about Jupiter bikes, no review or website, looks like they were only sold in Ireland.
    Says it's Tiagra but I'm almost sure they are Sora shifters.
    Very difficult to give advice without a review or offical website.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭cletus

tuxy wrote: »
    I can't find any info about Jupiter bikes, no review or website, looks like they were only sold in Ireland.

If they are, then they're the older model, the newer Sora don't have the gear indicators on them

cletus wrote: »
    If they are, then they're the older model, the newer Sora don't have the gear indicators on them

Yes sora ST-3500 but the bike has tiagra written on the top tube.....

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I thought they were 4500s but they arent, no paddles.

RD seems to be Tiagra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

• Advertisement

MisterDrak wrote: »
    I might drop into this tread also. :) newbie and looking for advice?

I'm in a similar position to Jim (OP) here, i.e. currently a runner that will be starting cycling after the Dublin marathon in October. Looking at buying a bike, probably cost effective initially, but happy to spend €€€ if i get into it. If i do like the cycling , i will probably hit it pretty hard...

Im looking at this bike tonight, any opinions ?

https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/18-gear-super-light-racer/15544325

Competition in the market! Only joking, welcome, happy searching

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

MisterDrak wrote: »
    I might drop into this tread also. :) newbie and looking for advice?

I'm in a similar position to Jim (OP) here, i.e. currently a runner that will be starting cycling after the Dublin marathon in October. Looking at buying a bike, probably cost effective initially, but happy to spend €€€ if i get into it. If i do like the cycling , i will probably hit it pretty hard...

Im looking at this bike tonight, any opinions ?

https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/18-gear-super-light-racer/15544325

No. Not super light, not a racer.
    Cheapish heavy brand, not suitable for your needs. May be ok for a commuter or tipping around, looking vaguely like a ‘racer’.
    (My opinion only)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    He's offering for 300 now with what's out there second hand at the moment I wonder is this worth a punt as a starter.
    I guess there is a reason it is up 9 months or so. Anyhow, continue searching
    Its the age that would put me off, alu frames over a certain age are a gamble as you don't know how much abuse they have taken. I've sold one myself where the BB shell cracked on the guy 200m up the road and I thought I had been good to it.
    Jupiter are a cheap, look fancy for LBS bike to work sales, not terrible but for commuting only.

Felt are a good brand, weird it has 3x9 as the frame looks like the 2016 model which was supplied with 2x11 unless they just bought the frame or an LBS built it up to get rid of old stock. Again, not over 250euro but it is far newer and a safer bet IMO.

Is that felt a gravel bike? Geometry doesn't look very aero and the way that owner has it setup is very strange, may suit someone looking for a very relaxed position though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Is that felt a gravel bike? Geometry doesn't look very aero and the way that owner has it setup is very strange, may suit someone looking for a very relaxed position though.

I couldn't tell was it the pics or not, but yes, it is a gravel/commuter bike but those pics look weird

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    I couldn't tell was it the pics or not, but yes, it is a gravel/commuter bike but those pics look weird

Interesting insight, thanks. I'm more interested in a road bike than that.

54cm trek 1.2 series sora bike any views on these bikes? What would you pay for it? With say 600km done. Would that size be good for 5 7/5 8

CramCycle wrote: »

The bike is way too small for whoever was riding it, seat lower than bars and bars angled up so he can reach them.

The bike is way too small for whoever was riding it, seat lower than bars and bars angled up so he can reach them.

Is this a road bike or a just a standard bike?

I was talking about the Felt V

Trek make good bikes but they stopped making the 1.2 in 2017 I think.
    54 should fit you fine. Price is a difficult one to judge and depends on condition and current demand for that type of bike.
    How much are they asking for?

I was talking about the Felt V

Trek make good bikes but they stopped making the 1.2 in 2017 I think.
    54 should fit you fine. Price is a difficult one to judge and depends on condition and current demand for that type of bike.
    How much are they asking for?

I can pm a pic. It's in the adverts thread I have, 450. New tires with a small bit on them only.

This?

https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/trek-one-series-1-2/16337401

It looks fine to me but 450 is too much, I think around 300 would be a fairer price.

There is also this

https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/trek-alpha-1-2/18392513

Much cheaper but looks well used, would probably need new chain, cassette, tyres before long.

This?

https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/trek-one-series-1-2/16337401

It looks fine to me but 450 is too much, I think around 300 would be a fairer price.

There is also this

https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/trek-alpha-1-2/18392513

Much cheaper but looks well used, would probably need new chain, cassette, tyres before long.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057997882/1/#post110734663

I got the pic, it is red, not any of those 2.

What about Scott speedsrer, I see a good few of them listed all the time. But cheap enough.

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/racing-bike/22373840

If you could haggle price down this would not be bad? Is 52cm a small frame?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/racing-bike/22373840

If you could haggle price down this would not be bad? Is 52cm a small frame?

Did you say you're 5'7? I bought a Trek 1.2 Alpha last year as a first bike and it was perfect. I'm 5'7 and got the 52cm top bar/50cm size and it was a good fit.

ODA3NjAzYTVlODJjN2M5ZGIwY2MwOGUzOGUwODQzMziDC9-Jy0k7QCHHvt1cfIuVaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vZWZhMzcxYTc1Y2Q4Mzg1MzhlZDRhMDgzZjM2N2M3OTZjYWU4YmFlYWRkY2FiZDgxZjU0OWM4YTkxYWVlNzY0Ni5qcGd8fHx8fHwyOTV4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

From this image I can just about make out what I think is the same sticker, so the size should suit you.

ZTU2MGRhZmFjNTBlNjUxNWI3ZTRlZTZmZDU4NGNiM2Y_jfsrAu44K4g0aN063xPkaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjgxMTIyOTZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I don't think you would go wrong with one of these, although I'd be hoping to pay closer to €300 if I were you I think.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Did you say you're 5'7? I bought a Trek 1.2 Alpha last year as a first bike and it was perfect. I'm 5'7 and got the 52cm top bar/50cm size and it was a good fit.

ODA3NjAzYTVlODJjN2M5ZGIwY2MwOGUzOGUwODQzMziDC9-Jy0k7QCHHvt1cfIuVaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vZWZhMzcxYTc1Y2Q4Mzg1MzhlZDRhMDgzZjM2N2M3OTZjYWU4YmFlYWRkY2FiZDgxZjU0OWM4YTkxYWVlNzY0Ni5qcGd8fHx8fHwyOTV4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

From this image I can just about make out what I think is the same sticker, so the size should suit you.

ZTU2MGRhZmFjNTBlNjUxNWI3ZTRlZTZmZDU4NGNiM2Y_jfsrAu44K4g0aN063xPkaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjgxMTIyOTZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I don't think you would go wrong with one of these, although I'd be hoping to pay closer to €300 if I were you I think.

Thanks, I'll have a go and see what I can do. I think this is the type I want to try out alright, just trying not to pay a bomb on first bike

Thanks, I'll have a go and see what I can do. I think this is the type I want to try out alright, just trying not to pay a bomb on first bike

And yes, am 5 7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Personally I’d go for the Audacio, it’s the newest of the lot by the looks of it, and the price is good. I like them as a brand, my better half has a Sensium and it’s a nice bit of kit!

I’d ignore the first link, bikes that commute every day will generally pick up more debris from the road so things like bottom brackets may need to be replaced; not saying that for certain, but it needs to be maintained.

Sizing is a personal thing but I would have said a 58cm is quite big for someone your height, I’m a bit taller and on the occasion I have to borrow a 58cm Defy I have to run the seatpost all the way down and the top tube is too long, I’m uncomfortable straight away.

If it was me, I’d get a smaller frame (like the Lapierre, their medium is a 55 IIRC) as it’s always easier to fix the bike feeling too long (by swapping the stem etc)

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Personally I’d go for the Audacio, it’s the newest of the lot by the looks of it, and the price is good. I like them as a brand, my better half has a Sensium and it’s a nice bit of kit!

I’d ignore the first link, bikes that commute every day will generally pick up more debris from the road so things like bottom brackets may need to be replaced; not saying that for certain, but it needs to be maintained.

Sizing is a personal thing but I would have said a 58cm is quite big for someone your height, I’m a bit taller and on the occasion I have to borrow a 58cm Defy I have to run the seatpost all the way down and the top tube is too long, I’m uncomfortable straight away.

If it was me, I’d get a smaller frame (like the Lapierre, their medium is a 55 IIRC) as it’s always easier to fix the bike feeling too long (by swapping the stem etc)

The 58 slipped in! Not going for something that big. I like the look of the Lapierre alright. Says he'll do 300 in comments but still high...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

The 58 slipped in! Not going for something that big. I like the look of the Lapierre alright. Says he'll do 300 in comments but still high...

Is the Lapierre not 290 on done deal?

Yes well spotted

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/lapierre-audacio-100-for-sale/22476149

I like the look of that bike. New 2019 model and looks like it's hardly been used but a S not M size would be better

a252ab75fa4b80b6aa81ba93de065922.png

5'7 is 170cm so you would be between two sizes on the chart. I'd advise to always go for the smaller option if between sizes. You can make a bike that's a bit on the small size fit with out too much trouble but it's more difficult and sometimes impossible to get a bike that's a bit too big to fit.

Just look at all the adverts for these bikes especially the ones that have not been used much. You can tell by the saddle height they were too small for whoever was using them so it's no surprise they didn't use it much.

• Advertisement

Looking at so many ads I got confused! I suppose size is only issue ... :(

Advertisement