Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice

Options
  • 08-07-2019 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I am a relatively fit person looking to be fitted again in the future. I have done some endurance challenges and races but all walking / running. I'd like to get into the cycling side of it to broaden my horizons on this stuff. I'd be mainly cycling good surfaces I suppose, I am not keen on road cycling but would keep myself to less travelled tracks. Would like to get to decent distances eventually hitting the 80 to 100km types of cycle.

Few questions:

1. What type of bike? Brand and where to buy would be nice advice. What kind of cost would I be looking at for a decent standard of bike for this stuff?

2. Where do you find the time to fit in your cycles? Would you generally leave from home or drive somewhere then cycle?

3. Ultimately, I'd like to take part in some events with the bike, like endurance races (kayak, cycle, run) type of things. What kind of training would I be looking at for an event of say 50km cycle when I haven't cycled in a few years?

I can't really think of anything else, but I would really appreciate any help. I am at a bit of a crossroads with this, and need the advice to decide whether to go for it or not.

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,361 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where to buy would be heavily influenced by where you live, so people could suggest a local bike shop as an option.
    and for those distances, a drop handlebar road bike is really the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

where to buy would be heavily influenced by where you live, so people could suggest a local bike shop as an option.
    and for those distances, a drop handlebar road bike is really the only option.

Thanks. I live in cork, willing to travel. Thought so alright from looking. You'd need the comfort.

Following on from the above, I've done a few workings. I want to try this out to see if I like it. I have two options really, one is to rent a bike for a weekend for circa 100 quid and go for a few cycles, and then if I am happy, buy one.

Or, I can afford to spend 300/400 on a bike initially and use that for a while. I am not up on the brand's so if I was to go for this, what am I looking for ? It is for triathlons etc so should be a road bike. I am also a little worried about getting sizing wrong if I was to go second hand. I am 5ft 7in, 30inch waist.

Any assistance greatly appreciated and thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭ted1

1. Cube are a good Brand. They price low to shift volume so good bang for buck.

2.ive three kids and a wife at home so I cycle to work 30km each way about 1hr10 not
    Much different than driving in traffic but done and dusted when I get home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Hi there, I am a relatively fit person looking to be fitted again in the future. I have done some endurance challenges and races but all walking / running. I'd like to get into the cycling side of it to broaden my horizons on this stuff. I'd be mainly cycling good surfaces I suppose, I am not keen on road cycling but would keep myself to less travelled tracks. Would like to get to decent distances eventually hitting the 80 to 100km types of cycle.

Few questions:

1. What type of bike? Brand and where to buy would be nice advice. What kind of cost would I be looking at for a decent standard of bike for this stuff?

2. Where do you find the time to fit in your cycles? Would you generally leave from home or drive somewhere then cycle?

3. Ultimately, I'd like to take part in some events with the bike, like endurance races (kayak, cycle, run) type of things. What kind of training would I be looking at for an event of say 50km cycle when I haven't cycled in a few years?

I can't really think of anything else, but I would really appreciate any help. I am at a bit of a crossroads with this, and need the advice to decide whether to go for it or not.

Thank you.

1:

As I think you already know a fairly standard road bike is probably the best option for what you need it for.
    At your height you will probably be a size small or 52 - 54 in most brands.
    As to what brands to go for, there are so many good brands it would take me forever to list them.
    If you find something you like the look of post back here and someone may be able to give advice.

2:

Most people get up early Saturday or/and Sunday to train year round then add in evening cycles at the time of year where there is enough day light.
    Since you will be training on the road you might as well start at your gate and not waste time driving. Just make up as many loops as you can in your area. But occasionally driving somewhere is nice for a change too.
    Think about joining a club at some point, great for motivation and they do all the work when it come to thinking up routes.

3:

Just head out and take it fairly easy at first, enjoy it. 50KM should come easy to someone who has some level of fitness already, cycling is much easier on your body than running.
    When you feel comfortable at what ever distance goal you set the best way to improve after that is to add in interval training.
    Lots of guides on training plans online.

• Advertisement

This is the best new bike I could find close to your price range.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vitus-razor-road-bike-claris-2019/rp-prod173128

ted1 wrote: »
    1. Cube are a good Brand. They price low to shift volume so good bang for buck.

2.ive three kids and a wife at home so I cycle to work 30km each way about 1hr10 not
    Much different than driving in traffic but done and dusted when I get home

Thanks for this. I will take a look. Okay, very reasonable. Unfortunately cycling to work not an option as I work abroad most of the time, but something I would consider in the future.

tuxy wrote: »
    1:

As I think you already know a fairly standard road bike is probably the best option for what you need it for.
    At your height you will probably be a size small or 52 - 54 in most brands.
    As to what brands to go for, there are so many good brands it would take me forever to list them.
    If you find something you like the look of post back here and someone may be able to give advice.

2:

Most people get up early Saturday or/and Sunday to train year round then add in evening cycles at the time of year where there is enough day light.
    Since you will be training on the road you might as well start at your gate and not waste time driving. Just make up as many loops as you can in your area. But occasionally driving somewhere is nice for a change too.
    Think about joining a club at some point, great for motivation and they do all the work when it come to thinking up routes.

3:

Just head out and take it fairly easy at first, enjoy it. 50KM should come easy to someone who has some level of fitness already, cycling is much easier on your body than running.
    When you feel comfortable at what ever distance goal you set the best way to improve after that is to add in interval training.
    Lots of guides on training plans online.

Very helpful again, thanks. I am thinking of heading to a few cycling shops when I get home anyway, might get a physical feel for the right size. I will post if I see something.

Yes I'd be looking for early morning, quieter times on the roads particularly starting out. I live quite close to city so would prob drive somewhere first few weeks to get used to it in quieter areas, I'm not keen on cycling small busy roads at all. I want long open roads that are not hugely busy. Will a road bike fit in a small hatchback with the seats down?

That is positive re distance, I thought it might come easier than the running alright. Will take that advice on board and look up some training plans.

I enjoyed the endurance stuff I've done so far, so can no reason not to try this out, but don't want to break bank and find out I don't like it. This is unlikely as I enjoy pushing myself and want to be a bit fitter so I'm hoping I like it.

Cheers

This is the best new bike I could find close to your price range.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vitus-razor-road-bike-claris-2019/rp-prod173128

I'll consider this one, looks good, thank you

Will a road bike fit in a small hatchback with the seats down?

That is positive re distance, I thought it might come easier than the running alright. Will take that advice on board and look up some training plans.

I enjoyed the endurance stuff I've done so far, so can no reason not to try this out, but don't want to break bank and find out I don't like it. This is unlikely as I enjoy pushing myself and want to be a bit fitter so I'm hoping I like it.

Cheers

I transport my bike all the time in a small Toyota Starlet hatch. All I do is remove the front wheels which only takes a few seconds thanks to the quick release. I have two really cheap yoga mats that protect the car from oil and also protect the bike from being scratched.

If you like endurance sports then I'd be very surprised if you didn't enjoy it. It's very rewarding as progress comes relatively fast compared to other sports.

• Advertisement

I transport my bike all the time in a small Toyota Starlet hatch. All I do is remove the front wheels which only takes a few seconds thanks to the quick release. I have two really cheap yoga mats that protect the car from oil and also protect the bike from being scratched.

If you like endurance sports then I'd be very surprised if you didn't enjoy it. It's very rewarding as progress comes relatively fast compared to other sports.

Perfect! I don't like the idea of leaving from the house unless it was early morning, quiet time. Yeah, I definitely want to try it out. It will be the end of the month before I can actually buy so I'm giving myself time to research. Currently running 7km a night increasing as I go and increasing the fitness.

While I have you all, budget for the year is a big thing for me as I'll be out of income for a few months this year, what kind of gear would be essential, obviously I'll get a helmet but cycling shorts, do I need a sort of suit for the race or would cycling shorts, tech t shirt / jersey do?

I think most people on here mostly cycle so we would wear cycling shorts and a jersey which won't be comfortable if you want to run in them too.
    You will want tight fitting clothes to wick sweat and anything that is loose will catch the wind and act like a sail slowing you down while you cycle. There are triathlon clothes that would be better suited for what you want.

Maybe ask on the Tri forum
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//forumdisplay.php?f=1527

I think most people on here mostly cycle so we would wear cycling shorts and a jersey which won't be comfortable if you want to run in them too.
    You will want tight fitting clothes to wick sweat and anything that is loose will catch the wind and act like a sail slowing you down while you cycle. There are triathlon clothes that would be better suited for what you want.

Maybe ask on the Tri forum
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//forumdisplay.php?f=1527

Yeah will do. Would agree re tight fitting. I'm very fresh on this sort of stuff so I appreciate the help.

There is a Carrera zelos mens road bike for 250 or so in Halfords (not saying I will buy there) , would that be a good cheap starter?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,999 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No cycle to work scheme available?

Great way to get a good bike cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

There is a Carrera zelos mens road bike for 250 or so in Halfords (not saying I will buy there) , would that be a good cheap starter?

Perfectly fine bike for someone starting out but it’ll be heavy with bottom of the barrel components. If you plan on using it in triathlons then it’ll be the weak link in the chain.

Second hand is best option and you’ll get a better bike for less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Don't go the Halfords route IMO. As a novice you need proper advice and fitting etc, you won't get that from them.

Bike 2 work doubles your budget, do that and get something Tiagra equipped.

NIMAN wrote: »
    No cycle to work scheme available?

Great way to get a good bike cheap.

No, I'm not eligible for bike to work.

Perfectly fine bike for someone starting out but it’ll be heavy with bottom of the barrel components. If you plan on using it in triathlons then it’ll be the weak link in the chain.

Second hand is best option and you’ll get a better bike for less money.

Ok, I understand that, I think you've answered it but I'm not sure, is it a good one to go for for the first event (only seeing if I like it) and go from there?

ED E wrote: »
    Don't go the Halfords route IMO. As a novice you need proper advice and fitting etc, you won't get that from them.

Bike 2 work doubles your budget, do that and get something Tiagra equipped.

Seen that mentioned a lot, I won't be going Halfords. I was just browsing the bikes.

I can't get bike to work unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Actually, I've just looked, I might be eligible for bike to work!

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/road-bike-giant-full-tiagra/22272182

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/new-dolan-preffisio-tiagra-4700-road-bike/22334430

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/giant-defy-alliance-carbon-fibre/22420478

Thoughts on the above? Are they knock down prices to what I'd get for same new? Second one slightly above budget but looks class.

Giant and cube seem popular cheap brands.

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/road-bike-giant-full-tiagra/22272182

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/new-dolan-preffisio-tiagra-4700-road-bike/22334430

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/giant-defy-alliance-carbon-fibre/22420478

Thoughts on the above? Are they knock down prices to what I'd get for same new? Second one slightly above budget but looks class.

Giant and cube seem popular cheap brands.

Are the pedals on these just normal flat pedals or do you need special shoes?

1st one is probably ok but it's an old model so you could get something better
    2nd one is very nice but they are not being honest about rider height a 56 would be for 5'9 - 5'11
    3rd one looks good to me 9 speed tiagra is good and the wheels look nice too

Giant are good brand they even make frames for other top brand from their large factory in Taiwan.
    Are the pedals on these just normal flat pedals or do you need special shoes?

The screw in thread on the crank is a standard size so you can use flat pedals or upgrade to ones you clip into.

1st one is probably ok but it's an old model so you could get something better
    2nd one is very nice but they are not being honest about rider height a 56 would be for 5'9 - 5'11
    3rd one looks good to me 9 speed tiagra is good and the wheels look nice too

Giant are good brand they even make frames for other top brand from their large factory in Taiwan.

The screw in thread on the crank is a standard size so you can use flat pedals or upgrade to ones you clip into.

Oh perfect. Would rather standard pedals starting out.

I like the last one as well, is an 18.5in Fram quite small tho? I read 51 - 53 cm frame for my height and that is only 47 cm

Yeah, I can't find any sizing info because they don't sell that model anymore

But found this, the same bike sold for €100 a few days ago, looks tiny in the picture.
    https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/giant-defy-alliance/18354455

Yeah, I can't find any sizing info because they don't sell that model anymore

But found this, the same bike sold for €100 a few days ago, looks tiny in the picture.
    https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/giant-defy-alliance/18354455

Yeah looks pretty small. And a 100 quid. 420 on the donedeal. It does look nice though. I have time to look so I'll keep a look.

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/road-bike/22461236

Thoughts on that. Not a whole lot of detail but might do to start.

Advertisement