Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3100 complaints - 6 months - 1 guy - DUB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

FionnK86 wrote: »

You would think that the individual would just move.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I live on the flightpath, it's a bit annoying, especially at night, but hey, it happens. Ongar was built well after the airport, if you move there you should half expect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

I’ve never reported noise levels - the newer aircraft are definitely quieter and I live in Whitehall which isn’t too close to the path.

However, if each complaint is sent via email, chances are they get a reference number for each email and a member of staff in DAA must reply to each one.

If that is indeed correct, we are paying taxes (semi-state DAA) for this guys ignorance to the fact Ongar isn’t in the flight path and more than likely the airport was there before they lived there with even louder aircraft.

I know that’s a lot of if’s and but’s but nonetheless something should be said to the complaining party to stop wasting time as the airport is not going to stop because of their complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I think this was in another thread a few weeks back. Someone with a lot of time on their hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭john boye

Nijmegen wrote: »
    I think this was in another thread a few weeks back. Someone with a lot of time on their hands.

Yes I think the complainant might have accidentally outed himself/herself in it.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Don’t like it? Move. The airport was there long before this person I’m sure, flight path hasn’t changed in 15 years either, yet the complaints have only started to flood in.

john boye wrote: »
    Yes I think the complainant might have accidentally outed himself/herself in it.

Correct

john boye wrote: »

Would you've thread link? Couldn't find it myself... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dropzone

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Would you've thread link? Couldn't find it myself... :confused:

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057953817/1

I think this is the thread, hope the link works.

• Advertisement

dropzone wrote: »
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057953817/1

I think this is the thread, hope the link works.

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Surely it must be getting close to the stage where an involuntary committal for the complainant should be considered....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

It can be quite loud in Ongar, it's not an issue at all when RWY 10 is in use, but the departures out of RWY 28 (which is the majority of the time) can get very loud regardless of whether they turn north or south. It's most noticeable with the late night summer departures like Aegean and Blue Air, the Blue Air causes an awful racket because it's at around 2am and there are no environmental noises like road traffic etc to drown it out like daytime departures have. Morning departures can sometimes wake you up but it's become a part of life at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Amazingly enough, the runways were pointing in the same direction when ongar was built and everybody chose to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

1123heavy wrote: »
    It can be quite loud in Ongar, it's not an issue at all when RWY 10 is in use, but the departures out of RWY 28 (which is the majority of the time) can get very loud regardless of whether they turn north or south. It's most noticeable with the late night summer departures like Aegean and Blue Air, the Blue Air causes an awful racket because it's at around 2am and there are no environmental noises like road traffic etc to drown it out like daytime departures have. Morning departures can sometimes wake you up but it's become a part of life at this stage.

Loud, not that many Antanov's over Ongar.
    I have lived close to general Ongar area for over 20 year and I can seldom says that the air traffic over the area is in anyway loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Polar101

I can hear the Blue Air flight late at night, but never felt aircraft noise was an issue in Ongar.

But I lived on the "landing path" of a major airport in the 80's - then you had to stop a conversation and wait for an aircraft to pass, or you couldn't hear the other person. So maybe I am more used to the noise than some other people.

I find trains make more noise in Ongar than planes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Polar101 wrote: »
    I can hear the Blue Air flight late at night, but never felt aircraft noise was an issue in Ongar.

But I lived on the "landing path" of a major airport in the 80's - then you had to stop a conversation and wait for an aircraft to pass, or you couldn't hear the other person. So maybe I am more used to the noise than some other people.

I find trains make more noise in Ongar than planes.

Funny that cos i've never heard a train once in all my 10 years of living in Ongar.

This is probably something that comes down to where you live exactly. I certainly hear them regularly and even more so when they use RWY 28 and turn south. I'm not necessarily complaining but simply stating my observations from living where I do in Ongar.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

I live in Mulhuddart. Planes regularly fly over and near my house. I've nver once complained. I choose to live here... the airport was there long before the houses were. Give over moaning about noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭HTCOne

I mean this in no way disparagingly, but I suspect this person may have mental health issues and needs help. I hope they get the assistance and treatment they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

sjb25 wrote: »
    Should get this as a reply :)

https://youtu.be/CrYmOEvDEUE

Should get this as a reply :)

https://youtu.be/68EexjJyibc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

1123heavy wrote: »
    Funny that cos i've never heard a train once in all my 10 years of living in Ongar.

This is probably something that comes down to where you live exactly. I certainly hear them regularly and even more so when they use RWY 28 and turn south. I'm not necessarily complaining but simply stating my observations from living where I do in Ongar.

In Ongar myself for over 10 years, located close enough directly across from the bus terminus, planes regularly fly over my house also, hardly ever hear them anymore unless late at night and low cloud, very very rarely hear trains either and i’m direct line of sight with Hansfield station, only thing I hear from the trains is the odd blow of the horn late at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,781 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The guy is writing about 8 complaint letters per day on average. Those are not the actions of an individual free of psychological disabilities. He needs help. On the other hand the DAA when they get the letters just need to consign them to the bin. It is foolhardy wasting time, resources and money that could and should be spent better and on more pressing issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Phil.x

When i lived in cabra aircraft flew over, now in clonsilla beside ongar aircraft fly over, its no big deal, nobody i know has ever said "bloody planes".

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

The issue here is obviously personal rather than actual noise.
    My issue would be that if this was person to person it would be viewed as harassment. If the DAA have to answer each complaint then it is just time wasting. After a reasonable number of complaints (2 per day?) there should be a charge for time used to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

If they’re calling in the complaints they should leave them on hold with the music replaced by a recording of planes landing.

You’d nearly need a full time member of staff for this one person.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Strumms wrote: »
    The guy is writing about 8 complaint letters per day on average. Those are not the actions of an individual free of psychological disabilities. He needs help. On the other hand the DAA when they get the letters just need to consign them to the bin. It is foolhardy wasting time, resources and money that could and should be spent better and on more pressing issues.

It is actually double that amount on average in the last six months..
    Tenger wrote: »
    The issue here is obviously personal rather than actual noise.
    My issue would be that if this was person to person it would be viewed as harassment. If the DAA have to answer each complaint then it is just time wasting. After a reasonable number of complaints (2 per day?) there should be a charge for time used to reply.

I would assume they’re using the web form.

https://www.dublinairport.com/corporate/community-affairs/noise/complaint-form

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd take a guess that it's at least partially scripted also. Someone got caught doing that when they reported flights that didn't operate due to weather in the UK

They’re back at it again, prolific complainant from Ongar accounted for 7786 complaints (21/day) in 2019?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

It’s the voices in their head I’d be more concerned about than the aircraft noise, with that level of determination on this topic...

• Advertisement

Hardly playing the long game here and hoping that DAA will give them a few euro, instead of having someone practically hired just to deal with his issues?

Could be a retired chap longing for a couple of Euro and has no shortage of time.

Advertisement