Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW e-Golf

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

There was only 2 in the garage I was in, a normal one with a few extras and an executive. Very large dealership and well stocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

charlieIRL wrote: »
    There was only 2 in the garage I was in, a normal one with a few extras and an executive. Very large dealership and well stocked.

Up till recently you only had 2 garages in Ireland that would sell the eGolf. Liffey Valley and VW in Cork.

Majority of the VW garages have now got certified because of ID but still most of them only have the exec model because they took it in hoping to sell as a company car.

To get both version of eGolf in one garage means they probably have the most stock in Ireland:P

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭pobber1

I drove one of these last week and absolutely loved it.
    However, the release of the ID3 next year makes me worried the eGolfs value will take a hammering.

pobber1 wrote: »
    However, the release of the ID3 next year makes me worried the eGolfs value will take a hammering.

They are holding value, even with ID release it will be a long time before they start to trickle into second hand market.....once you are keeping for circa 4 years it will hold value well....in a few years a second hand eGolf will sell well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Shefwedfan wrote: »

They are holding value, even with ID release it will be a long time before they start to trickle into second hand market.....once you are keeping for circa 4 years it will hold value well....in a few years a second hand eGolf will sell well

The risk factor is what price an ID will come in at.

If an ID is 32 grand new then that overnight hampers values of eGolfs of recent vintage.

Thats because of cheaper price AND a superior new EV with the ID.

eGolf is lovely but the reality is that to justify a recent one over the ID next year - you need a cheaper price.

That will then have a knock impact on ALL eGolfs.

If 2017 to 2019 35 kwh eGolfs drop then any earlier eGolf also has to drop.

There is however a limit to how far eGolf can drop in a 2nd hand market with limited supply.

Its the fact an ID can be ordered in that hurts the value.

• Advertisement

Old diesel wrote: »
    The risk factor is what price an ID will come in at.

If an ID is 32 grand new then that overnight hampers values of eGolfs of recent vintage.

Thats because of cheaper price AND a superior new EV with the ID.

eGolf is lovely but the reality is that to justify a recent one over the ID next year - you need a cheaper price.

That will then have a knock impact on ALL eGolfs.

If 2017 to 2019 35 kwh eGolfs drop then any earlier eGolf also has to drop.

There is however a limit to how far eGolf can drop in a 2nd hand market with limited supply.

Its the fact an ID can be ordered in that hurts the value.

Lack of supply is issue, even with ID you go to buy a 2-5 year old eGolf and you can’t get them, even in UK supply is limited

• Registered Users Posts: 64,864 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Current eGolf is a great car. Buy one now for around EUR31k (several people in this thread have managed that) and you need not worry too much about depreciation. Personally I wouldn't spend a penny more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

unkel wrote: »
    Current eGolf is a great car. Buy one now for around EUR31k (several people in this thread have managed that) and you need not worry too much about depreciation. Personally I wouldn't spend a penny more than that.

How to get this price? Trade in or scrappage? Is it available in all dealers?

Don't ask me! If you are ready to buy and have the cash or finance in place, contact all VW dealers in the country and see what openings for negotiation are there. Any deals, scrappage, demo models, ask about trade in value if you have one. If there are any choices that look good to you, negotiate. Hard.

Don't ask me! If you are ready to buy and have the cash or finance in place, contact all VW dealers in the country and see what openings for negotiation are there. Any deals, scrappage, demo models, ask about trade in value if you have one. If there are any choices that look good to you, negotiate. Hard.

Surely you don't mean €31k for a new one?

I've been into a couple of dealerships and they were adamant that there was no room for movement on the price. They were offering a good price for my trade in though.

• Advertisement

True, almost no haggle room with VW.

I'm planning on buying it as a company car which makes the price tag a little less painful but I still think it's a lot for a car with that range. Spec wise I think it's pretty good (talking about the executive model).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

For 42k why not buy a Niro?

ewj1978 wrote: »
    For 42k why not buy a Niro?

Sold out apparently. I went into Kia today and they are only taking orders for next year. I did drive the Soul but I wasn't impressed with how it looks or the quality of the interior, felt really cheap.

I only drive about 150km a week so the limited range of the Golf doesn't bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Driving a 2019 100 kW eGolf in California and absolutely loving it! Have it now for nearly 4 months and average consumption is 4.7 miles/kWh, which using an online calculator seems to be 13 kWh/100 KM (must be the good weather)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

A 100kW?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

A 100kW?

100kw Motor

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

Driving a 2019 100 kW eGolf in California and absolutely loving it! Have it now for nearly 4 months and average consumption is 4.7 miles/kWh, which using an online calculator seems to be 13 kWh/100 KM (must be the good weather)!

That’s really good. I’ve been averaging 15.6kWh/100km the past three months. I do wonder how much better it would be if I had the aero wheels though.

A 100kW?

Max output is 136HP /100kw

Mupchease wrote: »
    That’s really good. I’ve been averaging 15.6kWh/100km the past three months. I do wonder how much better it would be if I had the aero wheels though.

I guess it is warm in California so they will get better performance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Mupchease wrote: »

Yeah I have the aero wheels and efficient tyres on it. Stock from the dealer, but seem to be very good. Nice smooth ride I have to say.

48349638661_8acf3f34f5_b.jpg

eGolf is an excellent car and a great EV. Great all round package. It is also very efficient, not far off from #1 Ioniq and #2 BMW i3 (light weight)

VW is the biggest car maker in the world and it looks like they are the first of the big ones to fully swing to EVs over the next few years.

eGolf is an excellent car and a great EV. Great all round package. It is also very efficient, not far off from #1 Ioniq and #2 BMW i3 (light weight)

VW is the biggest car maker in the world and it looks like they are the first of the big ones to fully swing to EVs over the next few years.

I have slowly brain washed the forum :-)

A few years ago it was a just an old concept car or something like that

Long live VW....haha

Doing my last bit of research, as far as i can find out there was a fast charge option on the e-golf and was an expensive extra on early models. Would this be standard on an 18 one? If now how would you find out if it has? I know our Zoe at work is a "Q" model and that has fast charge.

Below is whats taken from the website I'm looking at a few cars and not sure and dealers don't seem to have a clue.

Electric Vehicle Data
    Battery Capacity in kWh 35.8
    Battery Charge Fast kW 3.7
    Battery Charge Fast Percentage 0-100
    Battery Charge Fast Time (Minutes) 650
    Battery Charge Rapid kW 7.2
    Battery Charge Rapid Percentage 0-100
    Battery Charge Slow kW 2.3
    Battery Charge Slow Percentage 0-100
    Battery Charge Slow Time (Minutes) 1020
    Battery Charge Super Charge kW 50
    Battery Charge Super Charge Percentage 0-100
    Battery Charge Super Charge Time (Minutes) 60
    Battery Type Lithium-ion
    Coupler/Connector Type Type 2
    NEDC Electricity Consumption kWh/100 km 12.7
    NEDC Maximum EV Range Miles 186

I had a 2015 model.

I think they had a real early release model in 2014 which had no B mode and maybe the fast charge was an option. The 2015 model comes as standard with fast charger port.

On the 2018 model for sure it is no option. It is included as standard

This is for Europe,not sure about the US model as they have some different specs. Like they get the heat pump as standard which Europe doesn't etc

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Doing my last bit of research, as far as i can find out there was a fast charge option on the e-golf and was an expensive extra on early models. Would this be standard on an 18 one? If now how would you find out if it has? I know our Zoe at work is a "Q" model and that has fast charge.

Below is whats taken from the website I'm looking at a few cars and not sure and dealers don't seem to have a clue.

Electric Vehicle Data
    Battery Capacity in kWh 35.8
    Battery Charge Fast kW 3.7
    Battery Charge Fast Percentage 0-100
    Battery Charge Fast Time (Minutes) 650
    Battery Charge Rapid kW 7.2
    Battery Charge Rapid Percentage 0-100
    Battery Charge Slow kW 2.3
    Battery Charge Slow Percentage 0-100
    Battery Charge Slow Time (Minutes) 1020
    Battery Charge Super Charge kW 50
    Battery Charge Super Charge Percentage 0-100
    Battery Charge Super Charge Time (Minutes) 60
    Battery Type Lithium-ion
    Coupler/Connector Type Type 2
    NEDC Electricity Consumption kWh/100 km 12.7
    NEDC Maximum EV Range Miles 186

The current model has 50kW DC CCS capabilty but is limited to 7.2kW AC.

So, if you try to fast charge at one of the 43kW AC fast chargers the car is limited to 7.2kW AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

I did drive the Soul but I wasn't impressed with how it looks or the quality of the interior, felt really cheap.

I only drive about 150km a week so the limited range of the Golf doesn't bother me.

is that the new soul you drove ? ... bob was raving about it

Yeah, that's the one. If they just changed the entire interior and exterior I would have liked it. Nothing wrong with it's range, handling or performance.

Yeah, that's the one. If they just changed the entire interior and exterior I would have liked it. Nothing wrong with it's range, handling or performance.

That's the difference between VW and some of the other makes.

If all of them had the same interior then you would never pay the extra for a VW....

My wife is a VW person, I sat her into a 2017 Leaf and more recently into a new 2019 Leaf.....both occasion I was told where to go

I looked at the inside of the Soul, not a chance in hell....it is button hell, jesus someone must have bought stock in a button company....couldn't be dealing with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    That's the difference between VW and some of the other makes.

If all of them had the same interior then you would never pay the extra for a VW....

My wife is a VW person, I sat her into a 2017 Leaf and more recently into a new 2019 Leaf.....both occasion I was told where to go

I looked at the inside of the Soul, not a chance in hell....it is button hell, jesus someone must have bought stock in a button company....couldn't be dealing with it

I'd put up with a lot of buttons before I'd climb down 100 miles in range .. but thats me!

Advertisement