Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future of beef production in Ireland.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,684 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Should get rid of all the polluting cattle and embrace the Impossible Burger 2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

TL17 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be going into forestry either. Some one wrote on other thread 20 year plantations not worth much.20 years not a long time. Farming a great life for your children who will soon love being out and about with you and wont need childcare always. Some of our best family memories are pottering around on the farm. Mine all had their own calves and still do.They in late 20s now and it brings us all together. Small few key improvements can get rid of lot of drudgery.Think about running some dairy calves with just enough sucklers for the scheme.Just so long as every thing is safe like culling all wild stock and having good fencing.Developing your farm is very tax efficient too.

Not to mention, my dad started with 11 acres, and worked hard for what he has when he died. Hard to plant what he adored. But in reality he would have planted some 15 years ago and made life easier for himself.

Have no wild stock- every animal is as tame and can be handled easily.

I’m lucky with my teaching job that I have the summer to work- just for a few years while the lads are very young I have to just plug away.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭kingdom fan

I started with 50 acres. Some was too wet for a 135, got buired many times. Rushes and furze dominated d bottom half of d farm. Tried licking, no good. Couldn't get contractor also. Bought a sprayer, met a diggerman who did some mighty rough work. Every field drained now, ploughed d worst field last year, after getting suggestions to plant it( 2 big power lines cross the field , so that would gave realised a lump sum ) . Neighbour planted, he was commenting how well my place was looking. But it's been some battle, ate up all my time and not a penny in 10 years. But I enjoy it.
    To b fair to sprayer contractor men, spraying is a precise task, that can simply not work if, for any reason, conditions are not perfect.
    Horses for courses. You will make d best decision for you, I wouldn't give up hope.

I started with 50 acres. Some was too wet for a 135, got buired many times. Rushes and furze dominated d bottom half of d farm. Tried licking, no good. Couldn't get contractor also. Bought a sprayer, met a diggerman who did some mighty rough work. Every field drained now, ploughed d worst field last year, after getting suggestions to plant it( 2 big power lines cross the field , so that would gave realised a lump sum ) . Neighbour planted, he was commenting how well my place was looking. But it's been some battle, ate up all my time and not a penny in 10 years. But I enjoy it.
    To b fair to sprayer contractor men, spraying is a precise task, that can simply not work if, for any reason, conditions are not perfect.
    Horses for courses. You will make d best decision for you, I wouldn't give up hope.

Some of your land is a carbon copy of mine- have big power lines going through too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

A spraying contractor will be using 12m+ booms, it's not on to ask them to cross rough land

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

wrangler wrote: »
    I started with 50 acres. Some was too wet for a 135, got buired many times. Rushes and furze dominated d bottom half of d farm. Tried licking,  no good. Couldn't get contractor also. Bought a sprayer,  met a diggerman who did some mighty rough work. Every field drained now, ploughed d worst field last year, after getting suggestions to plant it( 2 big power lines cross the field , so that would gave realised a lump sum ) . Neighbour planted, he was commenting how well my place was looking. But it's  been some battle, ate up all my time and not a penny in 10 years. But I enjoy it.

A spraying contractor will be using 12m+ booms, it's not on to ask them to cross rough land
    A neighbour or ours bought a massive tank a few years ago . When I saw him spraying he had the boom up at maybe 6' and spray misting everywhere , wouldn't take much uneveness to have one side 10' in the sky and the other dragging off the ground !

Bullocks wrote: »
    A neighbour or ours bought a massive tank a few years ago . When I saw him spraying he had the boom up at maybe 6' and spray misting everywhere , wouldn't take much uneveness to have one side 10' in the sky and the other dragging off the ground !

I used to spray for hire, spraying rushes I would use double the volume of water/acre so that I'd drive at half the speed .
    Gave it up then when I bought a new sprayer

wrangler wrote: »

You’re miles off the mark.you should come west of the Shannon sometime and look over a ditch.

Spraying contractors here are using 300/400l tanks and rough ground is their bread and butter.

Just no reliability in them as there is so much work for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭50HX

He'd leave plenty ofor streaks/misses after him at 6' high

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

50HX wrote: »

He'd leave plenty ofor streaks/misses after him at 6' high
    I think we got more rushed killed than he did haha

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

A lad said something to me the other day that surprised me but is 100%true.he said that giving up milking is not really an option nowadays because beef is so bad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

If it's of any use to others, our plan is to set a few acres of kale or rape even year and out-winter 20 dairy-beef weanling heifers on it. The fields need to be re-seeded anyway so we'll slowly work thru those 10 acres over the next 3 years. Shed space is tight and it's straw-bedded rather than slats so more costly.

The heifers are white-heads and Angus, bought from a local dairy farmer at 4 weeks. Don't know if we'll get to finish them at 19/20 months but that's the plan at the moment.

It being an ex-dairy farm, we've plenty paddocks for cattle (not sheep!) so should be able to manage grass OK.

Main thing for us is to keep on top of the work-load and keep costs down. Very hard to invest in the current climate. Maybe this is the exact time to invest and in hindsight it'll all be obvious. But tis hard to see it at the moment when you hear talk of 3.00 euro/kg

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Good plan there. If you had the time to finish them in stages, a few each month, a local butcher/restaurant might be interested in a tie up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Should get rid of all the polluting cattle and embrace the Impossible Burger 2.0

So there you are on your mobile phone or labtop, consuming energy generated from the burning of fossil fuels . Ironic don't you think.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

So there you are on your mobile phone or labtop consuming energy generated from the burning of fossil fuels . Ironic don't you think.

The only thing the Government/ Public service will do for Climate Change is enforce a Carbon Tax,
    Climate Change will involve producing emissions ''somewhere else''

• Registered Users Posts: 13,275 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

But tis hard to see it at the moment when you hear talk of 3.00 euro/kg[/quote]

Christ if that happens

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Danzy wrote: »
    But tis hard to see it at the moment when you hear talk of 3.00 euro/kg

Christ if that happens[/quote]

I'm the first to agree that the whole job is in dire straits atm but I'm also of the belief that there's a certain amount of scaremongering going on. It's not impossible that €3kg will come to pass but unlikely imo, certain ongoing worldwide events such as the swine flu epidemic may boost the demand for beef. Even if €3kg was reached then the same naysayers would be talking of €2.50kg coming down the line. The bottom line is most of us don't know what's going to happen but it may not be as bad as some would lead us too believe.

Advertisement