Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Hi all. I was on EI422 to Venice which was delyayed on Thursday morning due to a technical fault.
    In the end we had to switch planes and landed over 3 hours late.
    I looked it up and it's not clear to me if we are entitled to compensation under the EU rules.
    Any help or direction on how to pursue would be welcome.
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

EC261 claim is valid, technical faults are not considered 'exceptional'

https://www.aerlingus.com/support/forms/post-travel-enquiry/

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Shamrockj wrote: »
    Has to have parallel rest for crew to west coast e.g ldmcr otherwise business class has to be empty and used as a rest area. Economy class isn't suitable

It's amazing what an envelope has done in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 14,410 ✭✭✭✭cson

Marcusm wrote: »
    With flights to IAD (60 miles by road) and PHL (100 miles by road and an AA hub), I really can’t see BWI being a serious option.

I’d have doubts about DEN too - might PHX be a more likely option.

The Baltimore-Columbia-Towson (2.8m people) MSA has the lightest European route network (2 routes) of the Top 20 MSA's in the US. Anecdotally you have a lot of folks east of the DMV that prefer to use BWI. I think it could very well be a opportunity for EI, IAG have similar route economics to hand with the BA LHR service. The airport is also the busiest of the 3 WAS airports.

I think you may be someone who's never had to travel I95 on the regular with referencing IAD & PHL "only" being 60 & 100 miles away by road either. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

EI has flown to BWI before and left the route. Upping frequency to IAD makes more sense if you want to drive more connections

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

EI has flown to BWI before and left the route. Upping frequency to IAD makes more sense if you want to drive more connections

True but EI was a totally different company then, a lot has moved on. Then it was mainly point to point they targeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

EI was prohibited from flying to Dulles when they chose to fly to Baltimore “Washington Baltimore” in early 2000.

The then bilateral air agreement between Ireland and the US restricted EI to four cities Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles and New York by using JFK.

Cleverly at that time Cahill used a loophole and pressure on local Governors in the US through the Irish State to add Newark (seen as a second gateway to NY) and by adding Baltimore to service Washington. The agreement labelled both those airports at the time as secondary airports and thus EI was able to proceed with them.

Obviously a complete different business model was used at that time, with mainly Irish and Americans for P2P on the transatlantics. Comparing them now, EI have an intention to boost Dulles (already adding the -300 daily next summer as it’s regularly overbooked).

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

Bussywussy wrote: »
    It's amazing what an envelope has done in the past

There are 5 west coast aircraft for 3 routes, SEA isn’t even daily, so not sure if this has ever actually happened?

Even if it did, as a once off to avoid the cancellation of a flight, do you not think crew are entitled to compensation for agreeing to work outside their working conditions? Maybe they should have refused and had the flight canceled to avoid such a precedent?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there anything stopping EI from flying into Reagan national in DC? Initially I just assumed it was aircraft size but I'm sure the a321lr would suit it. Obviously have CBP here should make it easier too. I had a similiar thought about La Guardia

Kev11491 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there anything stopping EI from flying into Reagan national in DC? Initially I just assumed it was aircraft size but I'm sure the a321lr would suit it. Obviously have CBP here should make it easier too. I had a similiar thought about La Guardia

Yes - DCA only allows flights from within x distance, which Dublin would not be in. There are a limited number of exceptions though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Kev11491 wrote: »

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Yes - DCA only allows flights from within x distance, which Dublin would not be in. There are a limited number of exceptions though.

Same with LGA (1500mi is the limit)

There are 5 west coast aircraft for 3 routes, SEA isn’t even daily, so not sure if this has ever actually happened?

Even if it did, as a once off to avoid the cancellation of a flight, do you not think crew are entitled to compensation for agreeing to work outside their working conditions? Maybe they should have refused and had the flight canceled to avoid such a precedent?

There are no such “envelopes” Crew have been compensated through payroll in credits with a monetary value. It’s a very rare occurrence and now no longer possible as the business cabin has to be emptied for crew rest if an LDMCR is unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

Jack1985 wrote: »
    There are no such “envelopes” Crew have been compensated through payroll in credits with a monetary value. It’s a very rare occurrence and now no longer possible as the business cabin has to be emptied for crew rest if an LDMCR is unavailable.

Doesn't -GEY have the six J seats behind 2L and 2R in a mini cabin? Would it suffice to block that off for crew if needed?

Doesn't -GEY have the six J seats behind 2L and 2R in a mini cabin? Would it suffice to block that off for crew if needed?

No as the galley at doors 2 has catering equipment for economy. It’s an EASA specific requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

EASA FTLs dictate the appropriate horizontal crew rest requirements. Its there for safety. Cash doesn't nor should ever come into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Anyone have any idea what's the load factor for the DFW-DUB route?

Really hope this takes off & goes all year round.

Anyone have any idea what's the load factor for the DFW-DUB route?

Really hope this takes off & goes all year round.

It'd be great to see but I'd be surprised, AA's long haul planes get reshuffled through the hubs from season to season, they can't even manage a year round ORD-DUB on AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭liiga

Is aerlingus a321neo coming this Friday to Dublin 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

liiga wrote: »
    Is aerlingus a321neo  coming this Friday to Dublin 🀔

No, it was reported earlier in this thread that delivery was now expected on the 23rd of this month. 

Still no reports online of it flying or even completing taxi tests yet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Seems odd not to have been flight tested yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Tenger wrote: »
    Seems odd not to have been flight tested yet.

Definitely. I could be wrong but various sites and spotter pages have no indication of any test flights taking place, in fact the most recent update from the weekend indicates the aircraft is still in a hanger and has yet to perform under its own power. 

https://xfw-spotter.blogspot.com/

https://aibfamily.flights/airline/Aer-Lingus

https://digitalairliners.com/?s=Aer+Lingus

The last link has the most up to date information on the aircraft, it shows there are now three A321LR for Aer Lingus at various stages of construction. The first, EI-LRA, due in less than a week, is still in a hanger while the second, EI-LRB is now in full colours under tow and the third aircraft, EI-LRC, is on the final assembly line with its tail painted. 

Most flight tests seem to take between 2-3 weeks, the shortest I've seen recently is just 8 days. We're currently 6 days away from the revised delivery date and 2 weeks away from planned entry into service.

LRA has just been out for a taxi test. Also LRA isn’t due for delivery for another 10 days or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Definitely. I could be wrong but various sites and spotter pages have no indication of any test flights taking place, in fact the most recent update from the weekend indicates the aircraft is still in a hanger and has yet to perform under its own power. 

https://xfw-spotter.blogspot.com/

https://aibfamily.flights/airline/Aer-Lingus

https://digitalairliners.com/?s=Aer+Lingus

The last link has the most up to date information on the aircraft, it shows there are now three A321LR for Aer Lingus at various stages of construction. The first, EI-LRA, due in less than a week, is still in a hanger while the second, EI-LRB is now in full colours under tow and the third aircraft, EI-LRC, is on the final assembly line with its tail painted. 

Most flight tests seem to take between 2-3 weeks, the shortest I've seen recently is just 8 days. We're currently 6 days away from the revised delivery date and 2 weeks away from planned entry into service.

It was pushed out again from 23rd,I'd say there won't be much time before it goes into service after it arrives

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Bussywussy wrote: »
    It was pushed out again from 23rd,I'd say there won't be much time before it goes into service after it arrives

Is it planned to go straight into TAs or is it planned on euro sectors for a few days first

Locker10a wrote: »
    Is it planned to go straight into TAs or is it planned on euro sectors for a few days first

Scheduled to operate to BDL on 2nd August

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Surprised it has not been mentioned yet, but I wonder if the recently discovered "excessive pitch" software issue on the A321neo will have any impact on scheduled deliveries?

GM228 wrote: »
    Surprised it has not been mentioned yet, but I wonder if the recently discovered "excessive pitch" software issue on the A321neo will have any impact on scheduled deliveries?

It won't, if it were to have an impact the plane would have been grounded with other operators. This is not the same problem as the MAX, intense spotlight in the wake of those incidents has just caused every advisory or notice (particularly those related to aircraft software) to be taken as condemnations of aircraft types by newspapers and ill-informed commentators.

The actual EASA wording is that "excessive" pitch could occur under certain conditions and "during specific manoeuvres". The EASA cautions that this could result in "reduced control" of the aircraft. This is different from the situation with the MAX, it does not imply it is unrecoverable, nor that it would cause any type of accident, just that it's outside of the regular flight envelope of the aircraft.

The A320 series has always been fly-by-wire, unlike the 737, as such any previous issues would also have been fixed by software updates and would have been routine and gone unnoticed by the world at large. MCAS, on the other hand, is an entirely new system that obviously wasn't tested fully, there's a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

It won't, if it were to have an impact the plane would have been grounded with other operators. This is not the same problem as the MAX, intense spotlight in the wake of those incidents has just caused every advisory or notice (particularly those related to aircraft software) to be taken as condemnations of aircraft types by newspapers and ill-informed commentators.

The actual EASA wording is that "excessive" pitch could occur under certain conditions and "during specific manoeuvres". The EASA cautions that this could result in "reduced control" of the aircraft. This is different from the situation with the MAX, it does not imply it is unrecoverable, nor that it would cause any type of accident, just that it's outside of the regular flight envelope of the aircraft.

The A320 series has always been fly-by-wire, unlike the 737, as such any previous issues would also have been fixed by software updates and would have been routine and gone unnoticed by the world at large. MCAS, on the other hand, is an entirely new system that obviously wasn't tested fully, there's a big difference.

I do believe that the "fix" being provided by Airbus is actually around revising its A3201neo flight manuals that would prevent the aircraft from reaching excessive pitch altitudes. So it is not a design flaw patched up by software issue as on the Boeing

marcos_94 wrote: »
    I do believe that the "fix" being provided by Airbus is actually around revising its A3201neo flight manuals that would prevent the aircraft from reaching excessive pitch altitudes. So it is not a design flaw patched up by software issue as on the Boeing

Airbus themselves have called it "a temporary revision to A321neo flight manuals" regarding operational limits, to me implying a more permanent fix is on the way, while EASA says the safety measure is an interim action and could be followed by further requirements.

• Advertisement

Is there a revised delivery for LRA?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement