Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

A320 went tech in CDG and Milan over the weekend

Are they still painfully short of engineers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Locker10a wrote: »
    Are they still painfully short of engineers?

Painfully short of everyone..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Painfully short of everyone..
    Thats what my EI mates tell me. Overtime shifts keeping ground ops running. Pilots and cabin crew working on days off to keep the show going. Engineers under constant pressure.

Obviously HR mgmt in EI have an issue with having enough human resources in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,423 ✭✭✭✭cson

Any former WOW staff on the market I wonder?

cson wrote: »
    Any former WOW staff on the market I wonder?

I get the impression EI like running it tight, that it works out cheaper for them to be on the limit/slightly understaffed and buy a few days off from staff here and there rather than be over staffed/have a healthy complement of staff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I get the impression EI like running it tight, that it works out cheaper for them to be on the limit/slightly understaffed and buy a few days off from staff here and there rather than be over staffed/have a healthy complement of staff

Show me an airline that isn't run like this....

Alitalia ..... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Why do Aer Lingus operate the JFK-SNN flights at such anti-social hours? EI110 landed in Shannon this morning at 04:48 having departed JFK at 18:20 for a flight time of 5hrs 20 mins. I think it absolutely ridiculous, EI111 does not leave Shannon until 12:45 giving alot of time on the ground.

Is this Aer Lingus's typical second class citizen treatment of SNN airport or what is causing it? That flight should be scheduled to depart JFK at 10pm and arrive into SNN at 9pm to 10pm, a respectable time for people to collect relatives, allowing people to finish work in NY and go straight to JFK after. Instead you arrive into Shannon, everything is closed, you would have at least an hours wait or more for public transport and heaven help the poor lads like me who is after driving anywhere in the Western Seaboard from Donegal Sligo to West Cork for the Shannon catchment area. I myself left Kerry at 3:30am for a 2hrs 15mins drive, the flight was in early and the baggage handlers had not even arrived and no shops or restaurants open, this first restaurant I found on my way home open was in Killarney.

There is no need for such stupid red-eye flights into under utilised Shannon, lets take your american tourist you arrive into Shannon wrecked tired and you can't check into your hotel room until 2-3pm unless you book a day earlier, and due to the early departure of EI110 you have to sacrifice one day of your annual 10 days vacation. Its no wonder there is such light loads because EI are behaving with their services in Shannon like CIE with the Railways they would rather get rid of the serivce than make a fair go of it and do it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

I don't think many (if any) airlines are running with a surplus of staff, but being 5% understaffed has less consequence than being 15% or 20% understaffed.

theguzman wrote: »
    Why do Aer Lingus operate the JFK-SNN flights at such anti-social hours? EI110 landed in Shannon this morning at 04:48 having departed JFK at 18:20 for a flight time of 5hrs 20 mins. I think it absolutely ridiculous, EI111 does not leave Shannon until 12:45 giving alot of time on the ground.

Is this Aer Lingus's typical second class citizen treatment of SNN airport or what is causing it? That flight should be scheduled to depart JFK at 10pm and arrive into SNN at 9pm to 10pm, a respectable time for people to collect relatives, allowing people to finish work in NY and go straight to JFK after. Instead you arrive into Shannon, everything is closed, you would have at least an hours wait or more for public transport and heaven help the poor lads like me who is after driving anywhere in the Western Seaboard from Donegal Sligo to West Cork for the Shannon catchment area. I myself left Kerry at 3:30am for a 2hrs 15mins drive, the flight was in early and the baggage handlers had not even arrived and no shops or restaurants open, this first restaurant I found on my way home open was in Killarney.

There is no need for such stupid red-eye flights into under utilised Shannon, lets take your american tourist you arrive into Shannon wrecked tired and you can't check into your hotel room until 2-3pm unless you book a day earlier, and due to the early departure of EI110 you have to sacrifice one day of your annual 10 days vacation. Its no wonder there is such light loads because EI are behaving with their services in Shannon like CIE with the Railways they would rather get rid of the serivce than make a fair go of it and do it properly.

The vast majority of US east coast to Europe transatlantic flights operate the same way, it’s pretty standard across the industry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

The timings allow for maintenance on the ground as required, there's only two aircraft at SNN and they can't sub and swap them around as they do at DUB. DUB doesn't run as first in first out for transatlantic, they have a give and take between necessary maintenance and aircraft available to fly out, on a given day the aircraft that arrives at 5am might not leave until 3pm, or it could get in at 11 and be gone at 12:30, they can't do that at SNN.

The vast majority of US east coast to Europe transatlantic flights operate the same way, it’s pretty standard across the industry

Newark - Shannon leaves around 10pm and arrives into SNN around 9pm, much more sociable hours, would slot time restriction in the NY region airports be responsible? Or is Shannon just given the short straw due to its low volume pax numbers.

Newark - Shannon leaves around 10pm and arrives into SNN around 9pm, much more sociable hours, would slot time restriction in the NY region airports be responsible? Or is Shannon just given the short straw due to its low volume pax numbers.

I’ve no idea if it’s JFK slots or not but they won’t be changing it, from next year SNN will be getting the brand new a321LR on that route and after it lands from the transatlantic it will operate the early rotation to London. So the schedule it’s perfectly lined up for that utilisation

That's likely as much dictated by slots at JFK as it is anything else. Either way you've a Delta option Apr-Sep at ~9.55pm I think if you wish to have more regular hours.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Why do Aer Lingus operate the JFK-SNN flights at such anti-social hours?

Likely to be a combination of reasons:

Maintenance
    Slot availability
    Onward Connections
    Aircraft Utilisation
    Stand availability in JFK
    Business/leisure passenger mix

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Why so many flights to San Francisco or other western usa cities and no flight to São Paulo that is even shorter and have a lot of Brazilians here? Had to spend over 1.000 € with other companies and stopping many hours in Lisbon and Madrid. Aer Lingus could be making money if started to operate a direct flight to there.

Das Reich wrote: »
    Why so many flights to San Francisco or other western usa cities and no flight to São Paulo that is even shorter and have a lot of Brazilians here? Had to spend over 1.000 € with other companies and stopping many hours in Lisbon and Madrid. Aer Lingus could be making money if started to operate a direct flight to there.

That's a very price sensitive route.

SF on the other hand has a lot of big tech that love to fly J which leads to higher yields. I doubt you'll ever see EI metal direct to Brazil, irrespective of the size of the community here.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

cson wrote: »
    That's a very price sensitive route.

SF on the other hand has a lot of big tech that love to fly J which leads to higher yields. I doubt you'll ever see EI metal direct to Brazil, irrespective of the size of the community here.

What you mean by "price sensitive"? All the people I know had paid at least 800 € with a return, way more than what cost to fly to SF, despite having high tech or not. And how Ethiopian Airlines makes money in a much longer flight that stops in Addis Abeba? And all flights to Brazil are always full. And how a flight to Minneapolis would travel more passengers? Its not a touristic city. Aer Lingus is just missing here an opportunity.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

What you mean by "price sensitive"? All the people I know had paid at least 800 € with a return, way more than what cost to fly to SF, despite having high tech or not. And how Ethiopian Airlines makes money in a much longer flight that stops in Addis Abeba? And all flights to Brazil are always full. And how a flight to Minneapolis would travel more passengers? Its not a touristic city. Aer Lingus is just missing here an opportunity.

There wouldn't be as many business class seats sold (or probably cargo) on a flight to Brazil. That's not the case with US flights where the premium seats and cargo make a lot of money.

Aer Lingus as a former state owned or semi-state would probably be gone to Brazil now, if nothing more than to fly the flag and build relations. EI is now British Airways slave dog, and Dublin is effectively being use to decongest Heathrow by connecting regional British cities to the US instead of e.g. Newcastle to Heathrow overland and onto San Fran, Newcastle -DUB-San Fran. When IAG pulled the A350 order it shows they don't care for Aer Lingus and EI is just a rebadged BA now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Aer Lingus as a former state owned or semi-state would probably be gone to Brazil now, if nothing more than to fly the flag and build relations.

And that’s how you run an airline into the ground financially speaking.

Graham wrote: »
    And that’s how you run an airline into the ground financially speaking.

I have often thought myself what if Aer Lingus was still state owned, effectively subsidise tourism here with cheap flights, look at what the UAE have achieved through Etihad and Emirates, obviously not on the same level. Every tourist who comes in spends a fortune in hotels, food, transport etc.

We dump billions into huge wasteful projects every year, €18 bn to the HSE, a public and civil service which should be gutted from the inside out with 100-200k redundancies etc. Imagine fantasy Aer Lingus bringing planes in from all over on cheap tickets, effectively maybe as a non-profit or losing €2bn to €3bn per year, the tourism uptick and additional employment might actually balance it out.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I have often thought myself what if Aer Lingus was still state owned, effectively subsidise tourism here with cheap flights, look at what the UAE have achieved through Etihad and Emirates, obviously not on the same level. Every tourist who comes in spends a fortune in hotels, food, transport etc.

We dump billions into huge wasteful projects every year, €18 bn to the HSE, a public and civil service which should be gutted from the inside out with 100-200k redundancies etc. Imagine fantasy Aer Lingus bringing planes in from all over on cheap tickets, effectively maybe as a non-profit or losing €2bn to €3bn per year, the tourism uptick and additional employment might actually balance it out.

The increased tourism from the massive transatlantic expansion since they were sold to IAG sort of nullifies that argument

Plus it’s from North America where tourists would have considerably higher budgets.

I don’t think if Aer Lingus were state owned we’d be seeing them launch routes to Minneapolis and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭cartoncowboy

Living in the US has changed my perspective on connecting, it's almost a requirement here. Funny thing is though it's very rare I see a European connecting flight be cheaper than EI or FR.

We booked Lufthansa to Seattle and returning from Vancouver for next May via Frankfurt. We checked all airlines doing the route, direct from DUB, via Heathrow, Gatwick, every option but Lufty were the cheapest by far. Not to mention we get a spin on a 747 out and A350 back ! I don't mind connecting at all, esp when EI start looking for silly money. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not only is there the made point that they've grown hugely under private owners, this would breach EU state aid rules and additionally not be acceptable in the US which is where we'd be connecting most pax to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭john boye

L1011 wrote: »
    Not only is there the made point that they've grown hugely under private owners, this would breach EU state aid rules and additionally not be acceptable in the US which is where we'd be connecting most pax to

That's exactly what occurred to me when I read it, I instantly thought of the US3 and their complaints about the ME3.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Definitely a price sensitive route. Many SFO, SEA and MSP tickets in economy will be flexible tickets costing substantially in excess of €800. Brazil, whether GRU or GIG, will likely never be a suitable route ex DUB for EI. Between BA, IB and Latam flights in OW and lots of LH, AF and KL flights, it will simply never be a profitable priority route for EI.

I saw that despite being married to a Carioca!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

So when would you carry out maintenance on the aircraft?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Living in the US has changed my perspective on connecting, it's almost a requirement here. Funny thing is though it's very rare I see a European connecting flight be cheaper than EI or FR.

Very often connecting flights using Lufthansa group via Frankfurt, Munich, Zurich or Geneva are most definitely cheaper - you have to shop around.

It depends of course if you value the cash savings over the time penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭cloudhopper19

Just to clarify you do know BA don’t own Aer Lingus. IAG own all 5 brands.
    Aer Lingus as a former state owned or semi-state would probably be gone to Brazil now, if nothing more than to fly the flag and build relations. EI is now British Airways slave dog, and Dublin is effectively being use to decongest Heathrow by connecting regional British cities to the US instead of e.g. Newcastle to Heathrow overland and onto San Fran, Newcastle -DUB-San Fran. When IAG pulled the A350 order it shows they don't care for Aer Lingus and EI is just a rebadged BA now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement