Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult Colouring

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ardinn wrote: »
    Apparently any activity with your hands in front of you performing a task is practicing mindfulness. I make sea fishing rigs before I go on a trip - a few hours fly by and you havnt a notion whats going on around you. Knitting is supposed to be excellent for you.

I think we all do things like this in some way without realizing it.

You beat me to it.. with me it has always been kntting or at one stage embroidery, Always knitting now. There is an end result, and a sense of achievement and satisfaction. The rhythm of it calms

Not interested in eg mndfulness , therapy etc... just common sense and a great way to pass the time usefully and pleasurably. My work is sold for work for the needy so an extra benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

People that display anything on BookFace is narcissistic , and should be avoided... Actually anyone on BookFace , should be avoided …. "im so sick today" … You ok hun …. etc....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Bit of fun if yer bored and can draw

lv7FTgh.jpg

Also, correct me for being dubious, but comparing something to 'drinking your own piss' doesn't sound like academic terminology.

It appears the user was using piss drinking to import the phrase "benefits that are unattainable by any other means" which were then applied to adult colouring in the next sentence where they used "benefit that couldn’t be derived from an infinite number of other activities".

In other words - the user was just manufacturing and smuggling in a standard to evaluate the practice - exclusivity - that no one else is actually using in any way. I am not aware of anyone making claims about the benefits of adult colouring - who have been claiming those benefits are in any way exclusive or need to be.
    FFred wrote: »
    Really, in all my years under the mental health system, I’ve never been prescribed colouring in?

I know someone who spent years in the mental health system and was never prescribed CBT either. When I recommend he seek it out - it changed his life.

It is not that any current therapist is bad for not recommending something that ultimately turns out to be beneficial to you. I think it is more that the mental health system is just not as systematic as when you are perscribed an anti viral for a virus.

Each therapist is probably good at what they do and know - but what they do and know might not be what you particularly need. Shop around. Let each therapist know what was tried with you before - and ask them directly if they specifically work with techniques and ideas that are different. If they do try it - if not then move to the next.

Hope you find something that helps out there!
    ardinn wrote: »
    Apparently any activity with your hands in front of you performing a task is practicing mindfulness.

I think the correct term for that is "flow" when you lose yourself utterly in a task. Mindfullness meditation and similar is more about increasing your awareness of the present moment. Flow is about totally losing yourself in the present moment. Both seem to be beneficial and are worth seeking out. Tools like coloring probably help us do just that.
    I see it as infantilism. Objectively, that’s all it is, and any claimed benefits remind me of the sort of person who claims that drinking their own piss somehow offers benefits that are unattainable by any other means.

Yet no one is making claims about things like "any other means" or "similar benefits". I am sure in fact that _all_ the claimed benefits of adult colouring can in fact be obtained in a multitude of other pursuits. But so what? Exclusivity is not the standard we should use of measuring benefit here.

I also do not see it as infantilism - I think that is just your go to on a number of subjects where adults do something you do not - but kids often do. But by that standard what is not infantilism? Prayer for example has been shown to be beneficial to people who do it. Even though there is zero evidence of any kind suggesting there is anyone on the receiving end of the prayer.

Infantilism? Sure! They are basically talking to their imaginary friend. How much more infantile can you get? And yet there is seemingly benefits all the same in calming people and helping them focus and take their mind away from their other concerns for a short period of time. Are we to ignore those benefits merely because talking to your imaginary friend is a childish thing to be doing? I certainly hope not! At least if they keep their prayer to themselves - given it has been shown telling people you are praying for them may be actively harmful.

There are studies showing the benefits of adult colouring. There are studies in fact showing that _what_ they are asked to colour and _how_ actually affect the outcomes too. And there are papers and articles discussing why this might be as well. Including an article supporting my two hypothesis that A) the coloring is a tool that focuses our ability to access the power of placebo and B) that the coloring is a tool to educate them on - or "smuggle in" - mindfulness practices they might otherwise reject or be biased against or not interested in. More research needed of course. What research _you_ did on the matter I guess will remain a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I've tried mindful colouring a few times, it's been suggested to me by various therapists. It doesn't do much for me, but I find jigsaw puzzles great. Pure mindfulness. Each to their own I guess!

Oh and yeah I do sometimes share them on Facebook, I'm in a jigsaw puzzle enthusiasts group, yes there is such a thing! :o *cough*NERD*cough*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Yet no one is making claims about things like "any other means" or "similar benefits". I am sure in fact that _all_ the claimed benefits of adult colouring can in fact be obtained in a multitude of other pursuits. But so what? Exclusivity is not the standard we should use of measuring benefit here.

Objectivity is the standard I mentioned. I said nothing about exclusivity.

I also do not see it as infantilism

Well colour me surprised :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭rireland

People who share it are fools. It's simply a "look at me doing this thing that kids do but I'm an adult and enjoy it, I'm so quirky and strange in a good way" thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I sometimes do some colouring in. It's a quiet activity that doesn't require any brain power, so I can listen to an audio book or music at the same time. If my mind is whirring with "things I need to do", it gives me a few minutes of peace. I've never been able to draw, I don't knit, so it gives me something to do with my hands. I've started doing woodwork as well, and see them both in the same light.

I wouldn't be sharing pictures of my colouring in on social media though, I can't imagine any of my friends have any interest in it at all. If I made original art I might.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

rireland wrote: »
    People who share it are fools. It's simply a "look at me doing this thing that kids do but I'm an adult and enjoy it, I'm so quirky and strange in a good way" thing.

Would you say the same about someone sharing their golf score, or bench press, or 10k time or whatever?

They're sharing it to participate in a community in which they feel some connection. Some of the completed work, such as that shown above is impressive, why shouldn't it be shared. It might encourage someone else to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

remembering now I went through a bad patch and found great solace in big felt tip posters. I think they were doodlart but not as surreal as the ones online are,

would not do it now. but we go through stages.. used to love jigsaws too. same ... past it

• Advertisement

Would you say the same about someone sharing their golf score, or bench press, or 10k time or whatever?

They're sharing it to participate in a community in which they feel some connection. Some of the completed work, such as that shown above is impressive, why shouldn't it be shared. It might encourage someone else to try it.

Well it's slightly different.

Someone sharing their random golf score? Yes, I would think the same.

Someone saying they benched 40kg when their PB is 80kg? Yes, I would think the same.

If someone plays their best round or benches more than they ever have then I would understand it (still think these people are idiots).

There's no achievement in colouring in something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Maybe there was for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I was going to get one for my sister for a laugh one Christmas, until I went into Eason's and it was €13. Not a chance I'd pay that for a colouring book. I just checked online and they have some with "mindfulness" in the title which are nearly 20 quid :rolleyes: I saw them recently in the euro shop for €1.50

Really?

What is achievement? Sharing interests with something isn't just about having 'achieved' something. It's about sharing an interest.

I like going to plays. Should I stop sharing my experience with people because I wasn't on the stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Hmm ..maybe i will make one and sell it! MY IDEA YOU CANT STEAL!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I draw and take sketch pads with me. I lose track of time and draw incredibly detailed portraits of people in front of me. I put these people in strange situations in these drawings that link into whatever topic i am currently obsessed with.

Then I come to and its like 2 am in the morning and i am sitting in the park realizing i have been locked in and i will now have to climb over the wall to escape before the zombies get here.

But I think i could sit and sketch zombies so i wait for them to arrive.

This is how I started my zombie life drawing series.

2VzJF.jpg

Do you know what hurts me the most?? Its that they are SO ****ing misunderstood.
    Oh the irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I have never tried it but the profanities colouring books are tempting :)

sullivlo wrote: »
    Oh the irony.

WHat?

I DREW That from scratch ...and painted it... that's ALL my own work

The shadow technique i chose to go with the palette of blues i chose.

The sketch under is pen and pencil ...then the paint wash in different blues.

Why not learn a skill? Show your skill etc?

Its not vegetating ..its really getting different parts of the brains to work ...

AND for this i went to a life class ..so its socializing.

There is no SKILL to coloring in. Its like watching T.V.

It might make you feel good. But is it actually good for the brain?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

WHat?

I DREW That from scratch ...and painted it... that's ALL my own work

The shadow technique i chose to go with the palette of blues i chose.

The sketch under is pen and pencil ...then the paint wash in different blues.

Why not learn a skill? Show your skill etc?

Its not vegetating ..its really getting different parts of the brains to work ...

AND for this i went to a life class ..so its socializing.

There is no SKILL to coloring in. Its like watching T.V.

It might make you feel good. But is it actually good for the brain?
    Well done.

Just irony that in a thread where people are complaining about others sharing their colouring on social media, you share your colouring on social media.

Well done.

Just irony that in a thread where people are complaining about others sharing their colouring on social media, you share your colouring on social media.

Or that they obviously benefitted from creating that piece but can't appreciate how others might benefit from creating theirs.

Or how they suggested people using colouring books can't keep within the lines.

• Advertisement

Well done.

That's is not coloring. That's years of practice.
    That is having the eye to see distance perspective etc.

That is having the sensibility to be able to choose the colors and shadows after as it was done long after the life class had ended.

That is something to be proud of. And someone will come along and say hey mine is better and it will be miles better.

Coloring in....is well ...you not doing anything.

Really?

What is achievement? Sharing interests with something isn't just about having 'achieved' something. It's about sharing an interest.

I like going to plays. Should I stop sharing my experience with people because I wasn't on the stage?

Well I wonder how many of these people would list colouring as a hobby if they were going for a job interview or something.

Thankfully none of my facebook friends share their quirky, attention seeking, wannabe unique past times. Any that do, unfriended.

Someone sharing they like plays would make you be seen as a bore whereas someone claiming they like colouring makes them "unique" because it's a typically kids thing done by an adult.

Anyways I can bet most of these colouring sharers share their first picture and claim they love colouring in and then never do it again. It's attention seeking.

Odd how worked up some people get about an activity that others enjoy doing. Colouring is a great calmer for many. I've done it myself and really enjoyed the intricacy of the books. Its nice :)

And that they obviously benefitted from creating that piece but can't appreciate how others might benefit from creating thei

I would argue they don't benefit from it. If its not hard work how could they?

I don't enjoy sketching all the time. Its frustrating a lot of the time. You end up pulling your hair out. But you work hard you get better.

I feel coloring is like watching T.V ...its vegging. It is it really good for the brain though?

Of course it's enjoyable. Its easy. Drawing and painting is often hard ..so its not always enjoyable.

Well I wonder how many of these people would list colouring as a hobby if they were going for a job interview or something.

Thankfully none of my facebook friends share their quirky, attention seeking, wannabe unique past times. Any that do, unfriended.

Someone sharing they like plays would make you be seen as a bore whereas someone claiming they like colouring makes them "unique" because it's a typically kids thing done by an adult.

Anyways I can bet most of these colouring sharers share their first picture and claim they love colouring in and then never do it again. It's attention seeking.

I'd love to continue to engage, but there's no challenge in this.

I don't enjoy sketching all the time. Its frustrating a lot of the time. You end up pulling your hair out. But you work hard you get better.

I feel coloring is like watching T.V ...its vegging. It is it really good for the brain though?

It cures anxiety and depression....and you gotta make sure to tell everyone you're doing it too!!

Any that do, unfriended.

It's attention seeking.

It's a bit harsh.

That's is not coloring. That's years of practice.
    That is having the eye to see distance perspective etc.

That is having the sensibility to be able to choose the colors and shadows after as it was done long after the life class had ended.

That is something to be proud of. And someone will come along and say hey mine is better and it will be miles better.

Coloring in....is well ...you not doing anything.
    Like I said - well done!

But please don't belittle the achievements of others. I can't draw a straight line with a ruler. I can't draw full stop.

But I get great pleasure out of choosing the colours to colour in - within the lines - in my colouring book.

It cures anxiety and depression....

I don't notice these people getting better. But sure if they think its working. I am down with that.

I don't really think art is good for people TBH. Most creative people i know are mental and they know they are I think it make us worse.

Its like the price you have to pay.

• Advertisement

Of course it's enjoyable. Its easy. Drawing and painting is often hard ..so its not always enjoyable.

Something has to be hard in order to benefit from it?

Advertisement