Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Dav010 wrote: »

I’m interested as to why you think it’s hard to see it being added to the rotation.

It wont be added for the very simple reason that by the time it comes around again the course won't be in Britan - the rotation for the British Open is going to get very limited in the next 5-10 years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

GreeBo wrote: »
    Indeed, but not in the dedicated Rory McIlroy thread.
    This thread is reserved for fawning only it would appear.

Needs a warning sign on the entrance ,"Caution, thread may be sticky."

Was the Tiger* thread busier yesterday or back in April? Comes with the territory with these types of threads. In fact I recall one or two particular posters in the Tiger thread doing a blow for blow account of his comeback event in late 2017, every fairway hit was getting a fireworks display.

A better comparison would be a more general discussion about the game (e.g. the Open thread).

*Using him as an example of a prominent golfer (understatement) with a thread dedicated specifically to him. Not a Tiger bashing exercise.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

tenor.gif

Very quiet in here...usually is when he has a shocker though I guess.

Going to talk about golf or just troll? Having a pop at his golf game is grand but just trolling is not. Stop it

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Keano wrote: »
    Having a pop at his golf game is grand
    Except it really isn't (anymore) on this forum, is it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

tenor.gif

Very quiet in here...usually is when he has a shocker though I guess.

There is absolutely no call for a post like that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Except it really isn't (anymore) on this forum, is it?
    Please read the charter about responding to mod warnings in thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

If this thread is about McIlroy then it should reflect the general public's opinion of him and not be some stilted mirror reflecting a doctored view of reality.

Out of every sporting personality on the Planet he irks me the most.

I for one believe that on days like yesterday Rory is simply reaping his own well-deserved harvest.....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

His play on 1, 16, and 18 yesterday was really poor. The missed tap in particularly was awful.

I wonder about his hunger for success and his mental strength.

His play on 1, 16, and 18 yesterday was really poor. The missed tap in particularly was awful.

I wonder about his hunger for success and his mental strength.

The tap-in was terrible, its just not really something you see the top, top guys do.

Could be the difference between making the cut or not.

I do think he still wants to win...but he doesn't seem to be able to handle the pressure he puts on himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,164 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Just started watching, beautiful pitch on 11 to go -4 for the day, awful then brilliant, can’t win doing that.

• Advertisement

Annoying that he frequently seems to have to be out of it before he can relax and play like he is capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

If Rory sneaks in you never know what he could produce over the weekend !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Holy crap. Am actually gutted for McIroy listening to the interview. I wasn’t too bothered if he made the cut or not as I’m rooting for Lowry but clearly this means a huge amount to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,178 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Holy crap. Am actually gutted for McIroy listening to the interview. I wasn’t too bothered if he made the cut or not as I’m rooting for Lowry but clearly this means a huge amount to him.

He came out of that interview very well. I'd be the same regarding Lowry, but did want Rory to make the cut. When he's going well, he's incredible to watch

Hard to watch that interview alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Does Rory have a sports psychologist on his team do we know?

If he does he needs a new one. Everything with Rory is about what between his ears week to week.

This week has been the worst of his golfing career so far. His masters meltdown doesn’t even get close to how bad yesterday was for him.

He misses the cut by a stroke then id imagine he is at home now sobbing into his pillow. Shocking.

ForeRight wrote: »

If he does he needs a new one. Everything with Rory is about what between his ears week to week.

This week has been the worst of his golfing career so far. His masters meltdown doesn’t even get close to how bad yesterday was for him.

He misses the cut by a stroke then if inagibe he is at home now sobbing into his pillow. Shocking.

In Augusta, Dr Clayton Skaggs, a director of the Central Institute for Human Performance in Jupiter, Florida - about a five-minute drive from McIlroy's home - was a highly visible member of the Mcilroy’s entourage.

From today’s independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

In Augusta, Dr Clayton Skaggs, a director of the Central Institute for Human Performance in Jupiter, Florida - about a five-minute drive from McIlroy's home - was a highly visible member of the Mcilroy’s entourage.

From today’s independent.

P45 for Dr Skaggs

He misses the cut by a stroke then if inagibe he is at home now sobbing into his pillow. Shocking.

It was two/three bad holes that did the damage. I’m not disagreeing about him needing to work on his mental side but Francesco works with a top class mind coach and finished one shot better off. In fact Francesco spent last few weeks with this guy.

Golf as you well know is fine margins. Greebo called the missed tap in would be costly and he was spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

He misses the cut by a stroke then id imagine he is at home now sobbing into his pillow. Shocking.

It's a very bad day sportswise. Why would he be crying? He's not homeless, he's got enough to pay the rent I'd say. He can swap places with me if he wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭MattressRick

jobeenfitz wrote: »

It's a very bad day sportswise. Why would he be crying? He's not homeless, he's got enough to pay the rent I'd say. He can swap places with me if he wants.

Sportsmen care about their sport. Might be worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

charlieIRL wrote: »

Possibly the most emotion he has ever shown, certainly the most emotional I’ve ever seen him. This was the big one for him, I reckon if you offered him the win here or Augusta ....... this would have been the one all day long.

Nerves got to him yesterday on the first tee (and probably stuck with him for the round) few mistakes after that. But every golfer makes mistakes and you’ll find that nearly every tournament pro will make some sort of mistakes every week. It happens.

But he improved his round today by 16 shots. That is phenomenal. Sure he missed a couple of chances/opportunities today, but I wouldn’t say that they were mistakes.

I don’t have much time for him anymore but I still think he is amazing to watch when he is on his game and today was fantastic to watch. I was kinda hoping he would birdie 17 or 18, not for him, but for the tournament. It would have been better with him there at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,731 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Serious balls shown today from McIlroy in those conditions. Followed him for a few holes and he was a joy to watch. Sickened he's gone.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Serious balls shown today from McIlroy in those conditions. Followed him for a few holes and he was a joy to watch. Sickened he's gone.

Do you not think balls should have been shown yesterday when the pressure was on?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Is he now the course record holder again??

65 is best round so far along with Frittelli.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Is he now the course record holder again??

65 is best round so far along with Frittelli.

There was 4 65s today. Rory, Schaufelle, Streelman, Harding

Do you not think balls would have been shown yesterday when the pressure was on?

He certainly could have shown them yesterday, but perceived lack of them yesterday doesn't take away totally from today's performance.

Though I'm not convinced balls was the issue yesterday...I think he has an issue with building things up to the point where he is unable to perform

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

He's third-rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,178 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

"Even as a competitor and trying to beat the guy every week, sometimes I have to step back and realize how great @McIlroyRory is for golf. How he handles the spotlight, the highs, the lows, his social life, the fans, his golf, everything.. it’s awesome to watch"

Tweet by Justin Thomas which I feel really shows another side to Rory (which came out in the interview after). And he's handled this for years too which is incredible. Seems the sort who would love not to have to do the media side, just play his golf and go home. Thrust into the limelight at a young age, puts himself out there the whole time (saying stupid things the odd time).

Pity he isn't around for the weekend tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Risteard81 wrote: »
    He's third-rate.

Rated 3rd in the world? Yes, yes he is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement