Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Number 137

I'm totally baffled about how Munster are being billed as being better at development of players than Leinster.

Let's take a look at some cold hard facts:

In Ireland's current WC training squad, there are 21 Leinster developed players as opposed to Munster's 9.

Of Leinster's 45 man senior squad, 38 are Leinster developed, 1 Munster developed.

Of Munster's 44 man senior squad, 27 are Munster developed, 5 are Leinster developed.

Both teams have 3 NIQ's. Whether they are contracted for the full season or not is not really relevant.

Munster also have an NIQ in their Academy, which is almost the opposite of developing Irish talent.

But if you still think Munster are better at developing players then fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Number 137 wrote: »
    I'm totally baffled about how Munster are being billed as being better at development of players than Leinster.

In Ireland's current WC training squad, there are 21 Leinster developed players as opposed to Munster's 9.

Of Leinster's 45 man senior squad, 38 are Leinster developed, 1 Munster developed.

Of Munster's 44 man senior squad, 27 are Munster developed, 5 are Leinster developed.

Both teams have 3 NIQ's. Whether they are contracted for the full season or not is not really relevant.

Munster also have an NIQ in their Academy, which is almost the opposite of developing Irish talent.

But if you still think Munster are better at developing players then fair play to you.

In fairness it’s one person. Probably best to ignore him.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Number 137

I usually just read posts and I enjoy the banter and generally well informed info that's passed around. I rarely post but when a poster was making statements which completely contradict facts, I felt compelled to respond. Thankfully said poster is the exception, not the rule.

I usually just read posts and I enjoy the banter and generally well informed info that's passed around. I rarely post but when a poster was making statements which completely contradict facts, I felt compelled to respond. Thankfully said poster is the exception, not the rule.

It happens periodically unfortunately, usually school holidays oddly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Lets not forget the uproar in Munster when the following happened:

https://www.the42.ie/munster-irfu-block-stephen-moore-2452784-Nov2015/

To quote: Munster currently have Mike Sherry, Duncan Casey, Niall Scannell and Kevin O’Byrne as hooking options in their senior squad.

Only this was blocked then Scannell would never have been developed and become Ireland international.

It is a pity the IRFU didn't stop the resigning of Mathewson every few months, especially after Munster signed a leinster player to cover 9.....

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Lets not forget the uproar in Munster when the following happened:

https://www.the42.ie/munster-irfu-block-stephen-moore-2452784-Nov2015/

To quote: Munster currently have Mike Sherry, Duncan Casey, Niall Scannell and Kevin O’Byrne as hooking options in their senior squad.

Only this was blocked then Scannell would never have been developed and become Ireland international.

It is a pity the IRFU didn't stop the resigning of Mathewson every few months, especially after Munster signed a leinster player to cover 9.....

I find it hard to believe anyone other than nick mc Carthy gives much of a toss about Mathewson getting an extended contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Moaning about a backup Munster 9 in a Leinster thread is a tad unhinged.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ah yeah but claiming Munster are developing more young players than Leinster is well past unhinged and into bat s*** crazy territory.

Maybe read the posts above my one.....but then that doesn't suit your agenda does it?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I think Munster are doing just fine. The squad movements for this year are going in a positive direction.

Leinster will always do better given the circumstances of population and schools rugby. Good for them and they've made the most of their resources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I think Munster are doing just fine. The squad movements for this year are going in a positive direction.

Leinster will always do better given the circumstances of population and schools rugby. Good for them and they've made the most of their resources.
    and they've more clubs and less problems with school-club conflict..
    Munster are going right way but more needs to be done with development process in province....
    Yeah Leinster have more fee paying schools. Munster cant ever follow that as theres only 5 fee paying schools that play to a high level and rest wont have money to spend on the sport....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I would have thought they were perfect if you worked in town. Public transport to work, finish at 3 or 4pm, head straight to the pub after work for food and pints, then on to the match.

Yeah, they are perfect I'm sure - if you work in town.

If you don't work in town, then they're a real pain. That's what I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

They're a bit of a pain in the gooch for those not working in town though. You've to get home, then get into the city and then to the RDS.

Much rather Saturday myself.

You don't have to go into the city to get to the RDS.

Saturday matches are potentials for clashes with AIL games and the league would want a spread for TV so makes sense to have lots of Friday night games

D14Rugby wrote: »

You do if you want to have a pint or two.

Example, if our group of 4 wants to all drink, we've to get public transport from north Kildare (and I'm sure we're not the furthest out of those coming to the games). The best option is probably train into Heuston, then taxi up to the RDS. Not the end of the world, but on a Friday, after already getting home, it can be a pain. Of course, one of us can be the designated driver, which we normally end up doing - and just drive in and park out near the ground.

I realise why they happen, and I'm ok with it. It's just not as good as a Saturday game for people coming in from out my way if they don't work in town. I'll get over it though, it's not a huge deal. It is why I much prefer the Saturday games though.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Saturday matches are potentials for clashes with AIL games and the league would want a spread for TV so makes sense to have lots of Friday night games

As somebody who comes from near Clane to get to matches, the Friday games are a total pain- I appreciate I am only one supporter (well, me and Mrs. Maal) but the point stands. We have tried numerous options but once you come off the M50 it is a lottery and we have missed the start of games on a few occasions. I've only missed one home game since the 05/06 season so have some experience of the Friday traffic. At this stage of my life Saturdays are a much less stressful option!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,045 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

baaba maal wrote: »
    As somebody who comes from near Clane to get to matches, the Friday games are a total pain- I appreciate I am only one supporter (well, me and Mrs. Maal) but the point stands. We have tried numerous options but once you come off the M50 it is a lottery and we have missed the start of games on a few occasions. I've only missed one home game since the 05/06 season so have some experience of the Friday traffic. At this stage of my life Saturdays are a much less stressful option!

coming from laois is fine....

drive up the M7, down M50, park in monkstown / salthilll and dart to sandymouth.

Latest i could leave to ensure being there for 7:30 KO is 6pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

You do if you want to have a pint or two.

Example, if our group of 4 wants to all drink, we've to get public transport from north Kildare (and I'm sure we're not the furthest out of those coming to the games). The best option is probably train into Heuston, then taxi up to the RDS. Not the end of the world, but on a Friday, after already getting home, it can be a pain. Of course, one of us can be the designated driver, which we normally end up doing - and just drive in and park out near the ground.

I realise why they happen, and I'm ok with it. It's just not as good as a Saturday game for people coming in from out my way if they don't work in town. I'll get over it though, it's not a huge deal. It is why I much prefer the Saturday games though.

If you're a group from a decent distance away that all want to drink then yeah maybe you do but I feel fairly safe in saying thats a small minority of fans.

Yeah but from a leinster developing rugby point of view it means you are able to watch the match on the Friday, go to an AIL game on the Saturday and play yourself on the Sunday, which for them is the ideal scenario.

Go across to Maynooth or M3 parkway and get train in.....driving on a Friday is nuts!!!!

If you're a group from a decent distance away that all want to drink then yeah maybe you do but I feel fairly safe in saying thats a small minority of fans.

Yeah but from a leinster developing rugby point of view it means you are able to watch the match on the Friday, go to an AIL game on the Saturday and play yourself on the Sunday, which for them is the ideal scenario.

I feel fairly safe in saying that the people going to a Leinster game on Friday, heading to an AIL game on Saturday and playing on Sunday are a far far smaller minority of fans than those coming from outside the city that would like a drink at a Friday game.

Anyway, this is getting away from things. Like I said, I don't really mind too much, it's something that I'll live with and still go to Friday games. I just much much prefer Saturday games, which I suspect most of those outside of Dublin do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

sydthebeat wrote: »

drive up the M7, down M50, park in monkstown / salthilll and dart to sandymouth.

Wait.... you're from Laois!!! I never realised that you were a bogger. Your posts are literate :confused: I guess it explains your support for the Highlanders.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Wait.... you're from Laois!!! I never realised that you were a bogger. Your posts are literate :confused: I guess it explains your support for the Highlanders.

Not even close to funny..........

Im actually an Offaly man... pure bogger here and proud :D

living in Laois though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Im actually an Offaly man... pure bogger here and proud :D

living in Laois though.

Ahhhhh. Thats ok then. I used to date a girl from Offaly. Probably your cousin :D

• Administrators Posts: 53,387 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

A 90 minute trek to watch the pro14 after a day's work. You deserve a medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Is the « which province has the biggest d*ck when it comes to player development » not a really REALLY boring subject?

#yawn

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There would presumably be a reasonable number of fans from outside Dublin who work in Dublin and who would find Friday easier also rather than having to trek back in on the Saturday.

It's a tricky one of course and I can understand why they are a total pain in the ass for some people.

awec wrote: »
    A 90 minute trek to watch the pro14 after a day's work. You deserve a medal.

#Leinstertainment

:D:D

• Administrators Posts: 53,387 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

#Leinstertainment

:D:D

Is there a bus or something you can get so you can enjoy a pint while you're at it?

awec wrote: »
    Is there a bus or something you can get so you can enjoy a pint while you're at it?

herself and myself would swap driving duties......... shes as big a rugby fan as i am.

• Advertisement

I find Friday night games an easier sell at home. Saturday games tend to swallow a lot more time as I’m more likely to have a few pints. Friday’s depending on the game I might drive down watch the match and home a bit after ten. If I had my way I’d do lots of Friday’s but all big games on on Saturday at 5.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement