Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

Looks like the word on the street is that the UK chain has taken over Carbon and will convert it to a Wetherspoon's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

bazwraf wrote: »

That's a pity I guess. Their pubs in the UK tend to be fairly awful holes of places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

jjpep wrote:
    That's a pity I guess. Their pubs in the UK tend to be fairly awful holes of places.

jjpep wrote:

Not sure I'd go that far.

Have been to then in Enniskillen and in London (location escapes me). Nothing out of the ordinary in terms of fit-out /clientele. It may be different in more regional type uk towns.

Reasonably priced food and drink of reasonably decent quality. Serves a purpose.

Interesting to note that the owner is adamant that its irish pubs will sell no products from the EU post Brexit.. not sure how that will work out for him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

jjpep wrote: »

I've been to the one in Oban a few times and it's always very pleasant. Nice food and reasonably priced. I think this is a general sweeping statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

jjpep wrote: »

It's a good match with the Carbon site then. Might even call it an upgrade for the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭smurf492

Looks like the word on the street is that the UK chain has taken over Carbon and will convert it to a Wetherspoon's

Curry and a pint for 6 quid!!! 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Galway's Carbon nightclub is closing to become a Wetherspoons https://jrnl.ie/4726961

Seemingly still needs to go through planning process but I can't see objections if previous occupier was a nightclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

smurf492 wrote: »
    Curry and a pint for 6 quid!!! 😊

But a pint of what exactly? No Guinness, Bulmers(well our version of Magners at least) , Smithwicks, Heineken, Hop House, Rock Shore, local crafts etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

flazio wrote: »
    But a pint of what exactly? No Guinness, Bulmers(well our version of Magners at least) , Smithwicks, Heineken, Hop House, Rock Shore, local crafts etc.

I can live without any of those generic beers, last time I was in the one they had a nice selection of different IPAs and Pale Ales on tap as well as their own stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭jh79

I can live without any of those generic beers, last time I was in the one they had a nice selection of different IPAs and Pale Ales on tap as well as their own stuff

And they sell cans and bottles of craft beer really cheap too.

Good whiskey selection too. A double is only 2 euro extra so a good whiskey that costs say 8 euro would only cost a tenner for a double.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

Why wouldn't they serve Heineken or Bulmers? They'll also stock the likes of Coors Light, Stella, San Miguel and Carlsberg.

The alternative beers are much nicer anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Damiencm wrote: »
    Not sure I'd go that far.

Have been to then in Enniskillen and in London (location escapes me). Nothing out of the ordinary in terms of fit-out /clientele. It may be different in more regional type uk towns.

Reasonably priced food and drink of reasonably decent quality. Serves a purpose.

Interesting to note that the owner is adamant that its irish pubs will sell no products from the EU post Brexit.. not sure how that will work out for him!!

The Irish outlets will serve products from within the EU, only the UK outlets are stopping selling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Oh god & Rekorderlig !! In a pub! In Galway! See ya Kopparberg! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Finally somewhere accessible, which will have cask ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Pints of tastey cask ales.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Guffy

Is there a price list anywhere for the irish outlets?

How does he plan to run a pub that doesnt serve Guinness in ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Osborne wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they serve Heineken or Bulmers? They'll also stock the likes of Coors Light, Stella, San Miguel and Carlsberg.

The alternative beers are much nicer anyway.

The owner says he doesn't want to sell EU brewed drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Laviski

competition will be welcome, the low price model and place is going to be be pretty big.

may put others to stop hiking their prices especially come race week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Laviski

i think the weathspoons info can stay in its own thread
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057997104

keep this for opening/closing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

The owner says he doesn't want to sell EU brewed drinks.

Yes, in the UK branches, not here. I was in the Abbey Street one in Dublin today and served all the drinks I listed (I could be wrong on the Bulmers though - it could have been the UK one).

If you download the app, you can see the menu, I can't find a copy to put up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Osborne wrote: »
    Yes, in the UK branches, not here. I was in the Abbey Street one in Dublin today and served all the drinks I listed (I could be wrong on the Bulmers though - it could have been the UK one).

If you download the app, you can see the menu, I can't find a copy to put up here.

https://www.zomato.com/dublin/the-three-tun-tavern-wetherspoons-blackrock/menu

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Dublin city centre outlet - photos of menus:

https://imgur.com/a/qv3CgqI

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Worked near the one in Blackrock and it was great. Most of the usual drinks served everywhere a quid or two cheaper; food perfectly fine, a few quid cheaper.

A good alternative to rip off Ireland. If you're too fancy to go in, and happy paying 2 euro more for Guinness or lager, then don't go in and spend more on each drink somewhere else! Simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

I don't know what the fuss is. Wetherspoon's have a place in the market. i can't see it adversely affecting the Galway pub scene.

I hope it goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Just back from Bristol where I was in one for 3 or 4 hours, Handy place for food and pints .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think it will be good for Galway. No harm to have places serving the same drinks for €2 cheaper.

Some 'big-name' pubs already think they can charge Dublin prices in Galway, so to bring some competition in and force them to rethink it can only be a good thing.

I can think of one pub in particular that came into Galway in the last few years with competitively priced drink, served to a great standard with proper branded glasses etc and made a killing. Every sport shown on every screen. There were queues to enter on a Sunday day!! Then the model changed to poorer standard drink, standard unbranded glasses (which ruins the pint) and increased prices by a good bit. The sport on offer now is more niche and the crowd that used to queue to enter has left. Mainly is stags & hens from a weekend, from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭RainNeverBow

My mother was born in a Whetherspoons. How dare anyone say anything negative about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

topcat77 wrote: »
    I don't know what the fuss is. Wetherspoon's have a place in the market. i can't see it adversely affecting the Galway pub scene.

I hope it goes ahead.

Yes, me too.

Great range of drinks, good value.

Free mixers with spirits.

Double spirit for just 2 euro extra.

Jameson for 3.75 / 5.75.

Meal + drink deals, great value.

Some other Irish pub chains receive huge discounts from brewers for volume purchases, but do not pass it on, giving them 80% gross profit margins.

At least JD WS pass on the bulk purchase discount to their customers.

Some Irish pubs expect 30% net profit margin, Spoons make 7.8%.

Advertisement