Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Robert2014

Congrats to the team and some positivity after a poor week. Hopefully some of them will kick on to become good seniors. We need to be careful, Sean Andy looked like Noel Tierney in the U-21 final against Dublin a few years ago but struggled recently. Youngsters progress is not linear and we need to expect these peaks and troughs. Best of luck to them in the semi-final.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Great to see the Mayo contingent at work a little bit quieter today. Still loud though. :(

Couldn't go to the match last night but by all accounts it was a well deserved victory and the management weren't afraid to act when they felt changes needed to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

I saw the entire minor hurling panel listed somewhere but I can't seem to locate it online now. Anyone have the panel?

Some half of hurling for the minors. Rumours of this being one of the best groups we've ever had may not be far off the mark. Two of their best forwards not playing either.

Some half of hurling for the minors. Rumours of this being one of the best groups we've ever had may not be far off the mark. Two of their best forwards not playing either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,202 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Mcdonagh and Thomas playing brilliant stuff up front - from two non traditional clubs (mountbellew and ballygar)

Game on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

McDonagh looks like the real deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,950 ✭✭✭threeball

RMAOK wrote: »
    Mcdonagh and Thomas playing brilliant stuff up front - from two non traditional clubs (mountbellew and ballygar)

That's the big thing in Galway hurling in the coming years. For the first time ever there's alot of input coming from north Galway so we have 2/3rds of a county to pick from. It should see the strength of county teams increase dramatically. If hurling ever catches on in Connemara the rest are in serious bother :D

threeball wrote: »
    That's the big thing in Galway hurling in the coming years. For the first time ever there's alot of input coming from north Galway so we have 2/3rds of a county to pick from. It should see the strength of county teams increase dramatically. If hurling ever catches on in Connemara the rest are in serious bother :D

There was two starters from Moycullen. It’s not Connemara, but it’s very close to it.

• Advertisement

There was two starters from Moycullen. It’s not Connemara, but it’s very close to it.

The invasion is imminent. Resistance is futile.

Good win by the minors - fell away a bit in the second half, but that was understandable as it was their first game while (I think) it was Kilkenny's 7th. Also the breeze was a factor.

It's less likely we'll see a similar fade out next weekend against Clare

RMAOK wrote: »
    Good win by the minors - fell away a bit in the second half, but that was understandable as it was their first game while (I think) it was Kilkenny's 7th. Also the breeze was a factor.

It's less likely we'll see a similar fade out next weekend against Clare

It looks like a very good bunch of minors to be honest. It’s good to see lads from smaller clubs like Ballygar, Mountbellew, Moycullen, Kilnademma-Leitrim feature. You’d wonder slightly about the lack of players from places like Portumna and Gort though. Or from the city teams.

They should come on for that hopefully. Subs helped see out the game. Connaire was excellent. His club mate with a famous surname is meant to be a serious hurler. Should be back from injury soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Brian017

A question for the GAA aficionados out there, what happens if Clare win by 5 points both teams will have -2 scoring difference? Clare go through would be my guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

If Galway get through to the semis what date will it be and who?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Brian017 wrote: »
    A question for the GAA aficionados out there, what happens if Clare win by 5 points both teams will have -2 scoring difference? Clare go through would be my guess

Why do you think Clare?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

leestone wrote: »
    If Galway get through to the semis what date will it be and who?

Are we not in the semis now . Was today not a all ire quarter final

spurshero wrote: »
    Are we not in the semis now . Was today not a all ire quarter final

Still have to play Clare next weekend. Win that (or draw) and we're through to the semi finals. The quarter finals in the minor are done on a three team round robin group. Top two go forward to play the provincial champions.

I guess we're glad we didn't have to go to Killarney yesterday? To think we beat Kerry at the same stage last year.

• Advertisement

Robert2014 wrote: »
    I guess we're glad we didn't have to go to Killarney yesterday? To think we beat Kerry at the same stage last year.

We would have got a hiding . We were poor all year . Sure according to reports down should have beat mayo and Armagh Defo should have beaten them . Yet we made them look half decent . Same with Roscommon . Connacht was poor this year and so were we. Hard to know where we go from here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭cosatron

whatever about the footballers, the hurlers must be sick, considering the way things panned out.

cosatron wrote: »
    whatever about the footballers, the hurlers must be sick, considering the way things panned out.
    Was thinking the same thing yesterday . Tipp look bang average last 2 games. You wouldn’t be quaking your boots at kk or Wexford . Limerick look a step ahead but then again so did we this time last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Galway are the best team in Ireland IMHO. But to prove it, you have to get to the business end of the season. They got what they deserved against Dublin. Complacent and not focused. They also go into cruise control too much, banging over points when they should go for goals. Drives me mad. We do not have the best Football team in the country, but I am still convinced that we have the best Hurling team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Galway are the best team in Ireland IMHO. But to prove it, you have to get to the business end of the season. They got what they deserved against Dublin. Complacent and not focused. They also go into cruise control too much, banging over points when they should go for goals. Drives me mad. We do not have the best Football team in the country, but I am still convinced that we have the best Hurling team.

Well sitting at home on the shelf won’t prove that this year. Without JC there would be no Celtic crosses in Galway the wonder point in the semi saved our bacon.

This drives me mad. I still can't look at last year's hurling final. That's a game we shouldn't have lost. I know Limerick were much better than us on the day but we had the experience of the previous year. We really should have tore into them and some of the goals we let in were criminal. When people asked how it was that Galway went almost 30 years without winning the All-Ireland, well this is how it begins by not winning the ones when you should be the best team in the competition.

spurshero wrote: »
    cosatron wrote: »
    Was thinking the same thing yesterday . Tipp look bang average last 2 games. You wouldn’t be quaking your boots at kk or Wexford . Limerick look a step ahead but then again so did we this time last year

Think we messed up on a relatively handy all Ireland (as all irelands go). Limerick would have been the biggest stumbling block and the motivation to reverse the result last year after the worst performance in a few years would have been immense. They must be disgusted looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Moycullen is in Connemara

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

h2005 wrote: »
    Moycullen is in Connemara

As a Connemara man - I don't consider Moycullen as part of Connemara, even Oughterard is pushing it.

• Advertisement

I says wrote: »
    Well sitting at home on the shelf won’t prove that this year. Without JC there would be no Celtic crosses in Galway the wonder point in the semi saved our bacon.

I hate this without jc there would be no all Ireland . No one player ever one an all Ireland . And I say this as a jc fan. Kk wouldn’t have won in 2012 without shefflin but they won as a team not one player . If jc could win them on his own he would have done it before 2017. It takes massively from others players comments like that

Advertisement