Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struggling to sell house in West Dublin ( Is the market slowing down )

Options
  • 14-07-2019 12:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi All,

I live abroad and i'm currently trying to sell a house i own in West Dublin.
    The house is a 3 bed terrace and has been on the market since January of this year, initially it was for sale for 325k but i have since dropped the price due to low amount of views and zero offers, the current price is 260k.
    a
    I have had one offer of 220k and very little viewings, is this the common theme at the moment? I am living abroad and looking to sell as i bought the house in 2005 and looking to move on, is this the way the market is going, sorry for the very little research i haven't had much time to put into the topic.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

The market will decide the price and value of the house, currently with regulations it's difficult for people to get loans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

The market is slowing down it will only get worse from here, you may need to consider the 220k offer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

is this the way the market is going

not really.

I can't think of any Dublin areas that are showing 20% price drops, never mind 20% price drops and still not shifting.

I'd be looking for other explanations.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Graham wrote: »

We all know what West Dublin means.
    And I'm guessing many wouldn't want to spend €320k+ to live there.
    Better off further away from the city of Dublin!!!!

Property was either significantly overpriced from the off, or something else is hindering a sale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Graham wrote: »
    not really.

I can't think of any Dublin areas that are showing 20% price drops, never mind 20% price drops and still not shifting.

Like Graham says I'd be looking at the bigger picture. Get a couple of different opinions from estate agents in the area.

Boards had to many people with an axe to grind to get a useful response.

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    We all know what West Dublin means.
    And I'm guessing many wouldn't want to spend €320k+ to live there.
    Better off further away from the city of Dublin!!!!

West Dublin isn't a homogeneous area so you're making an assumption there chief (though it could be correct)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

Could be in a bad area, in a bad state of repair, poorly advertised, simply overpriced...

Advice I've had it's ftb and new properties that are selling the quickest. Anything else is slow. They will sell just take a bit of time, and have to be priced in the context of new properties available in the area

Dropping by a third means it was way overpriced to begin with, that you are looking for a fast sale, people now know this and will play hard ball as long as possible.

• Advertisement

West Dublin isn't a homogeneous area so you're making an assumption there chief (though it could be correct)

I know, I said i was guessing.

beauf wrote: »
    We all know what further away from Dublin means, countryside awash with armed gangs and people armed to the teeth to defend themselves.....lol

I've no axe to grind, at all....
    I grew up in West Dublin. And it was not nice.
    I live in kildare now. And there are no armed gangs near me.
    Much better value and much nicer neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Hi All,

I live abroad and i'm currently trying to sell a house i own in West Dublin.
    The house is a 3 bed terrace and has been on the market since January of this year, initially it was for sale for 325k but i have since dropped the price due to low amount of views and zero offers, the current price is 260k.
    a
    I have had one offer of 220k and very little viewings, is this the common theme at the moment? I am living abroad and looking to sell as i bought the house in 2005 and looking to move on, is this the way the market is going, sorry for the very little research i haven't had much time to put into the topic.

Thanks

The biggest thing you should be looking at is the number of properties for sale in your area and the asking prices. Cross reference with PPR for the last two months and then make an educated decision, unless it's an absolute hole of an area, you should be achieving way more than 220k for a 3bed. How many viewings have you had?

Currently selling in West Dublin myself and seen a little spike in interest the last week thankfully along with a few around my area going sale agreed so I'm a little more confident than I was a week ago

Edit: meant to mention your agent, recommending a 320 asking price and then dropping to 260 is bizarre. Any one watching the market and house would be throwing in a low ball offer because it feels like someone desperate to sell tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Get Real

I think the 325 mark was too optimistic to begin with. I could be wrong as I don't know the sq m of your house etc, but there are 3 bed properties well within the m50 and on a luas line for that. Quiet parts of cabra for example.

I'd hold out for a while and you might get the 260 plus. People with mortgage approval seem to come like busses. May just be bad timing and in another while you could have three or 4 people showing interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭airportgirl83

Is your house presentable? I mean does it look attractive e.g. empty, freshly painted etc. Things like that can help.

There's been a bunch of new developments in sale in West Dublin recently. They seem to drip feeding them on to the market. I expect this had some effect.

All over the media recently of Garda and cab gang raids in Kildare. Do I assume then thats typical of all of Kildare. Should we base Kildare property advice on that...

Haha, what are you going mad for???
    I think you've got the axe to grind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Allinall

I've no axe to grind, at all....
    I grew up in West Dublin. And it was not nice.
    I live in kildare now. And there are no armed gangs near me.
    Much better value and much nicer neighbours.

West Dublin is huge, as is Kildare.

How do you know there’s no armed gangs near you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I’m a west Dub myself now moved out (slightly)

It really depends on where exactly it is in West Dublin.

For example, the massive developments planned around Clondalkin / Lucan is putting ppl off as no one knows how that’s going to end up.

Allinall wrote: »
    West Dublin is huge, as is Kildare.

How do you know there’s no armed gangs near you?

What are you talking about?
    The little point I was making, was that growing up where I did, it wasn't safe and there was a lot of trouble.

Would you travel on the Red line luas at 10 o'clock on a Saturday night?????

Why are house prices more expensive in sandyford than any area I know in West Dublin?
    We all know the answer.
    But it seems you don't like the truth.

I grew up in a kip, and it is still probably the worst place in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Is there social housing built nearby?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Allinall

What are you talking about?
    The little point I was making, was that growing up where I did, it wasn't safe and there was a lot of trouble.

Would you travel on the Red line luas at 10 o'clock on a Saturday night?????

Why are house prices more expensive in sandyford than any area I know in West Dublin?
    We all know the answer.
    But it seems you don't like the truth.

I grew up in a kip, and it is still probably the worst place in the country.

I travel regularly on the red LUAS line late at night. It’s the easiest and quickest way for me to get home after a night out.

I’ve seen anti social behavior, but never had any trouble myself.

As I said, west Dublin is huge. Good, bad and medium areas in it.

Notice you didn’t answer my question about armed gangs?

Allinall wrote: »
    I travel regularly on the red LUAS line late at night. It’s the easiest and quickest way for me to get home after a night out.

I’ve seen anti social behavior, but never had any trouble myself.

As I said, west Dublin is huge. Good, bad and medium areas in it.

Notice you didn’t answer my question about armed gangs?

I've never heard of any armed gangs near me, never seen any trouble.

Yeah the Red line luas is perfect.

West Dublin is huge, but too many areas have awful names for a reason.
    As I said i grew up there. More than 20 years.
    And I didn't like it. And I don't want to settle with my family there.

I notice, you didn't answer my question about the difference between sandyford and West Dublin.
    Sandyford is about 12km from the city. Similar distance from west Dublin

Snip my rubbish.
    Yeah we won't bother derailing....
    I've said my piece

Mod Note

property is not in Kildare. Feel free to start a Kildare thread somewhere appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

anewme wrote: »
    I’m a west Dub myself now moved out (slightly)

It really depends on where exactly it is in West Dublin.

For example, the massive developments planned around Clondalkin / Lucan is putting ppl off as no one knows how that’s going to end up.

Not sure about that. All of the Adamstown phases sell out and people buying in those areas don't have a lot of choice. It's there or the commuter belt.

If anything with these developments planners are far more aware of the importance of having rail links etc in first than in the past and people are all over build quality given past issues along with parking etc.

To wait to see how this pans out will probably take 10 -15 years. Clondalkin / Lucan are themselves already villages transformed to massive suburbs in one lifetime but with increasing industrial development coming on stream nearby e.g. grangecastle.

If your holding off buying here on that basis your only buying somewhere else that's also subject to massive development.

Also to the other poster , Sandyford is being massively overdeveloped , I lived there. It contains the Ballyogan estate which is a kip and the Luas is impossible to get on from the Gallops stop every morning never mind the thousands of apartmentsb eing built down the road in Cherrywood , some with no parking that are to go up roads like Murphystown which has no upgrade planned. A house in a well planned estate in God forbid West Dublin is a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Not sure about that. All of the Adamstown phases sell out and people buying in those areas don't have a lot of choice. It's there or the commuter belt.

If anything with these developments planners are far more aware of the importance of having rail links etc in first than in the past and people are all over build quality given past issues along with parking etc.

To wait to see how this pans out will probably take 10 -15 years. Clondalkin / Lucan are themselves already villages transformed to massive suburbs in one lifetime but with increasing industrial development coming on stream nearby e.g. grangecastle.

If your holding off buying here on that basis your only buying somewhere else that's also subject to massive development.

Also to the other poster , Sandyford is being massively overdeveloped , I lived there. It contains the Ballyogan estate which is a kip and the Luas is impossible to get on from the Gallops stop every morning never mind the thousands of apartmentsb eing built down the road in Cherrywood , some with no parking that are to go up roads like Murphystown which has no upgrade planned. A house in a well planned estate in God forbid West Dublin is a lot better.

I disagree totally. Grange Castle was coming on stream when I worked there nearly 20 years ago. It’s not much further on.

The infrastructure for Adamstown is poor. I know people there who hate it but can’t leave.

They moved the old train station in Clondalkin from Cloverhill, which ppl used to the other white elephant place.

Clonburris is going to be the same. A high percentage of social. There’s also plans for too many houses in Clondalkin, a high percentage will be social housing. There’s already too much anti social behavior. In and around Grange Castle area, scramblers, hordes etc are a scourge.

The Fonthill road is already chaos from a traffic point of view.

Anyone I know buying now who would have bought in the area are buying further out.

Op did not say if this was the area he’s trying to sell in, just giving reasons in case it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I have recently sold a property in West Dublin. It took 6 weeks to sell. I was happy with that. 3k under asking price.
    I had been keeping an eye on property prices in the area, and didn't see anything near the 320k mark for a 3 bed house. But as other posters have said, West Dublin is a big area. Would really need to know more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Op your original price of 325 seems to have been very excessive. Have you seen any other terraced houses in West Dublin at that price?

My ex is buying at the moment and indeed the aren't many competing to buy. She went sale agreed recently but pulled out due to neighborhood issues and the price dropped 10k, but still on sale and no further offers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Op, could you specify where in 'West Dublin' your property is located ? Might give some context ....

Advertisement