Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struggling to sell house in West Dublin ( Is the market slowing down )

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Woshy wrote: »
    That's what I'm hoping. The estate agent did say that to me the last time I called her for an update but then when I met with her initially about putting the house on the market she said summer was a great time to sell a house :rolleyes:

The house is in popular area with no issues and there have been some viewings, some were second viewings. Only negative feedback the estate agent has passed on is that the garden is a bit small and has high hedges behind it (that are not on the property but the on the neighbours behind us). It's a 3 bed semi and as I said, we have done a lot of work on it and it's in very good condition. It's FTB that are looking at it.

It is always a great time to sell if you ask an agent ;) I worked for a property website in the past, peak traffic times were as I listed above. I would expect things to pick up a little in 3-4 weeks.

The only issue you might have then is that the ad is 'stale', I know personally when I see a house up for 3-4 months I think... there must be some issue with it. It may be worth taking the ad down for a few weeks and relisting then, depending on the interest in the next few weeks.

Edit - the only other thing, you mention you have done a lot of work to the house. When we viewed houses, you could see owners had spent a lot of money on kitchens, bathrooms etc.. but they were not to our taste. So we would plan to take them out.. the problem is, those houses are at the top range price wise (because they are very well decorated). Sometimes buyers will happily buy a house that needs a full revamp but is 20k cheaper.. because they can then decorate exactly as they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Lets say you spent 10k putting in a new kitchen ,or decorating ,
    this may make no difference to joe bloggs a potential buyer ,
    who has different taste than you .
    A small garden or a high hedge should not stop a house being sold,
    it could reduce the value or the selling price of the house .It could depend on where the hedge is , is it blocking out sun light and making the garden
    be in the shade most of the time .
    my friend sold her house 3 years ago,
    she removed as much furniture as she could, she painted all the doors,
    and ceilings and window frames white .Using the services of a professional painter .
    She already had bought a 2nd house , so she was able to remove most of the bed,s ,chairs etc to make the house look attractive.
    She removed most books, pictures, ornaments etc to make the house look as if anyone could move in .
    Potential buyers do not want to look at a house thats full of random
    oranment,s picture,s ,kids toys etc

Advertisement