Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struggling to sell house in West Dublin ( Is the market slowing down )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The chances of a 50k single / 75k combined income voluntarily accepting an affordable home in that development is slim to none. Unless they happen to be completely ignorant or clueless about the % of social housing around them. When the building of new developments eventually settles down (already starting..) the scramble for A-rated homes over location will reverse imo. Older houses in private settled areas can be brought up to standard through retrofitting programmes which will intensify and become more accessible. It can take many years for antisocial problems to appear and grow in these new developments, and as history has proved - the situation rarely reverses over time with the exception of some gentrified areas close to the city centre (Stoneybatter, etc). The social developments from decades past are still plagued by antisocial behavior (and now gangland activity) today (Ballymun, Finglas, Ballyfermot, Neilstown, etc).

10-15 years after building it shows up, when the first generations kids become teens, doesnt stop till theres almost nobody under 30 left which happens if you stop building but adding phases and these people ‘wanting to be near ma’ perpetuates it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Is the rant about social housing in any way relevant to the ops question?

Is the rant about social housing in any way relevant to the ops question?

Well there is a lot of social housing in D15 and plans for a super mosque, both may be impacting the ability for the OP to sell their property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Well there is a lot of social housing in D15 and plans for a super mosque, both may be impacting the ability for the OP to sell their property

I’d be quite happy living near a super mosque rather than an anti social area.

As would I , but it brings its own issues, and property value reductions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 niteowles

Have you checked the property register for homes that sold near yours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I only know of one big one. Clonskeagh. How did that work out?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Dublin 15

Dublin 15 is both Castleknock with it's million euros houses and such places as Tyrrelstown, Corduff or parts of Mulhuddart where most people rather avoid.

Then, how's the house? If you post the BER rating and age of the building then it should say quite a lot. Below C rated and in poor area would make it tricky to sell, especially that there's so many new A rated houses being build around D15 and 3-beds selling for not much more than 300k.

I'd probably avoid both.

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Sold a 3 bed terrace in a less than desirable area of D22 this time 2 years ago for 308k, 25k over the asking with 3 different bidders vying for it. It went sale agreed and was sold within a month of going on the market.
    Unless there has been some big changes in the market (I haven't been keeping track since selling) I think there must be some big issues with the house or location.

You might have been the luckiest paddy in the world and sold at the peak while there were still bidding wars going on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Why do you need to sell OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Super mosque where ? I know there were plans did anything happen with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

voluntary wrote: »
    Dublin 15 is both Castleknock with it's million euros houses and such places as Tyrrelstown, Corduff or parts of Mulhuddart where most people rather avoid.

Then, how's the house? If you post the BER rating and age of the building then it should say quite a lot. Below C rated and in poor area would make it tricky to sell, especially that there's so many new A rated houses being build around D15 and 3-beds selling for not much more than 300k.

The OP said it's in Manorfields. Closer to Castaheany/Clonee than Hartstown probably, good area lovely estate. They are all about 20 years old those estates with original BER of D approx but OP stated BER is upgraded. The problem isn't the house it's the new houses as you said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

What issues would a mosque bring?

What issues would a mosque bring?

Larger concentration of muslims moving to the area , results in women and LGBT people being intimidated.

Larger concentration of muslims moving to the area , results in women and LGBT people being intimidated.

Was there an increase in the number of children getting buggered when they opened your local Catholic Church?

Was there an increase in the number of children getting buggered when they opened your local Catholic Church?

Complete whataboutery, the issues with catholacism do not negate the issues with islam and the problems with increased muslim populations , but were getting way off topic here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

Would fear of this really affect house prices?

I live in a city where 15% of the population are Muslim, and I haven't noticed this sort of intimidation being an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

:rolleyes:

Complete whataboutery, the issues with catholacism do not negate the issues with islam and the problems with increased muslim populations , but were getting way off topic here

I'm saying you're talking ballcocks, nothing to do with whataboutery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I'm saying you're talking ballcocks, nothing to do with whataboutery

Even if you think this opinion is nonsense, if enough people shared this opinion, it would have some downward pressure on house prices.

To put it another way - I doubt the presence of a mosque nearby would have the effect of increasing house prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,404 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Even if you think this opinion is nonsense, if enough people shared this opinion, it would have some downward pressure on house prices.

To put it another way - I doubt the presence of a mosque nearby would have the effect of increasing house prices.

Hasn't affected the price of property on Roebuck Road had not made property any cheaper there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

A house is worth what people will pay for it,
    bring the sale price down a bit,talk to the agent,
    ask the agent for advice .
    Look at other house,s in the area , what are they selling for.?
    i know someone who sold a house in d15 on private estate,
    2 years ago ,it sold quickly, for a very good price .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I live on the South Circular Road, and the mosque certainly hasn't affected house prices there. And, I've only ever seen Muslims be intimidated, never the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I am in a similar situation, not in West Dublin though.

How long before you should be worried about no offers? Our house is on the market almost 5 weeks now and we haven't had any. I'm not sure though if it's me being impatient and it's pretty typical to have nothing in that time.

I thought the price the estate agent suggested was a bit high but thought we'd go with it and see what happened, planning that if somebody offered below it and there weren't other offers we would accept. It's also in our agreement that we will discuss the price after 4 weeks - I will have to talk to the estate agent today. I'm surprised that we haven't even had any lowball offers.

I'm not sure what to do - apart from discussing lowering the asking price with the estate agent. We're not living in the house, it's vacant and has been completely renovated from when we bought it. We would like it sold so we can get on with our lives basically

• Registered Users Posts: 18 DingDongDitch

Woshy wrote: »

How long before you should be worried about no offers? Our house is on the market almost 5 weeks now and we haven't had any. I'm not sure though if it's me being impatient and it's pretty typical to have nothing in that time.

I thought the price the estate agent suggested was a bit high but thought we'd go with it and see what happened, planning that if somebody offered below it and there weren't other offers we would accept. It's also in our agreement that we will discuss the price after 4 weeks - I will have to talk to the estate agent today. I'm surprised that we haven't even had any lowball offers.

I'm not sure what to do - apart from discussing lowering the asking price with the estate agent. We're not living in the house, it's vacant and has been completely renovated from when we bought it. We would like it sold so we can get on with our lives basically

The price. It's always the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

My guess is in a normal market a house could take 3-12 months to sell. if the market is hotter or cooler it will be faster/shorter.

However it depends if the house is desirable, in demand, or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Last year there were 5000 housing units built in dublin ,house,s and apartments .
    We need about 30k houses built in dublin every year.
    If your house is for sale at a realistic reasonable price someone will buy it.
    unless there is an issue in the area or estate you are living in which is putting off potential buyers .
    Did you get anyone viewing the house.
    Lets say it costs 100k to build a new house, plus the cost of the site .
    If someone pays 200k for a house in santry they are paying because they want to live in that area ,
    its close to work, friends ,shops ,bus stops etc eg the cliche goe,s location ,location, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Woshy wrote: »

It is a bad time of year for selling house IMO. The busiest periods are usually Feb-April and Sept-Dec. People are on holidays at the moment etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

mloc123 wrote: »
    It is a bad time of year for selling house IMO. The busiest periods are usually Feb-April and Sept-Dec. People are on holidays at the moment etc..

That's what I'm hoping. The estate agent did say that to me the last time I called her for an update but then when I met with her initially about putting the house on the market she said summer was a great time to sell a house :rolleyes:

The house is in popular area with no issues and there have been some viewings, some were second viewings. Only negative feedback the estate agent has passed on is that the garden is a bit small and has high hedges behind it (that are not on the property but the on the neighbours behind us). It's a 3 bed semi and as I said, we have done a lot of work on it and it's in very good condition. It's FTB that are looking at it.

Advertisement