Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

nihicib2 wrote: »
    Ha Im sure ye are all sitting there waiting on word alright :D

Unfortunately one of my horses took ill last night and the vet is coming after 1 so the pizza will just have to wait until I see the vets bill :eek:

But it shall be bought, oh yes it shall be bought, I have dough proving outside at the mo and will be using the Giles and Posner electric pizza oven for now, not a patch on the real thing I know but for now it'll do rightly :D

Oh really sorry to hear that. Horses first, pizza second!

Hopefully by now you have some good news and your horse will be good. Vet bills can be frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

I think it doesn't worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

CastielJ wrote: »
    I think it doesn't worth it

Are you just posting random badly written statements or are you trying to say something specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭RonnieL

For those of you interested in the Uuni 3 gas burner, I noticed that while they were changing the name to Ooni, they've also upped the price from 50GBP to 65. I was planning to get one anyway, so ordered one on ebay at the old price.

Also, having burnt my pizzas to a crisp the first couple of times out with pellets, I had a successful run at the weekend. An infrared thermometer is a must (I think they should actually come with one) - the stone needs to be about 450C I reckon. If it's too hot, placing a frying pan on it for 30 seconds gets the temperature back down nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

Small update : We got the gas burner for the Ooni, wow wow wow what a difference. Never used the pellets again after that, its just so much easier with gas.

As mentioned in previous posts in this thread, we were filming a review of the Coleman stove when were "spotted" by another boards.ie member. Well I have finally uploaded the review to youtube so thought I would also post it here in case anyone is interested. Its also filmed in beautiful Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

Small update : We got the gas burner for the Ooni, wow wow wow what a difference. Never used the pellets again after that, its just so much easier with gas.

Agreed, massive difference, you can concentrate on the pizzas now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Markcheese

https://www.donedeal.ie/cateringfittings-for-sale/pizza-ovens/19407613

Not in the same league as some of the wood fired guys.. But I got invited to a pizza night by some Italians friends, who took their pizza very seriously, (right flour, 2 day ferment,yaddy yaddy yadda) and they used one of these..
    And the pizza was really great... Its just a small Hi temp oven...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah thats the oven that me and others here bought on Amazon way back for £43. They are good but Ive found mine has lost a bit of temperature over time. It still makes great pizza and flatbreads although they dont seem to puff up as much when the oven was brand new. Theres lots of mods on youtube about them to add an element and reflection dish to make them even hotter but Ive never gotten around to it.

Just wondering where people are getting their wood pellets for the Uuni? Do any of the garden centres sell them at all or any other bricks and mortar shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just wondering where people are getting their wood pellets for the Uuni? Do any of the garden centres sell them at all or any other bricks and mortar shops?

Was searching for them myself and rang A Room Outside, guy told me they had stopped doing them but you could use the Traeger pellets. My worry is that they all seem to be flavoured woods for smokers but maybe there is one which is quite neutral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭postsnthing

Muahahaha wrote:

FCB1899 wrote:
    Was searching for them myself and rang A Room Outside, guy told me they had stopped doing them but you could use the Traeger pellets. My worry is that they all seem to be flavoured woods for smokers but maybe there is one which is quite neutral.

If either of you track down a decent pellet option please post hear would be great to know

Can't help you on the pellets - I gave up on them pretty shortly after buying my ooni as I found it too tricky, and I've been using the gas attachment happily since.

However, I have seen a lot of people posting on ooni groups on facebook about using hardwood kindling instead of pellets, with some good results. I did it with some kindling I had lying around, and got the oven up to temperature quickly, and it seemed to stay there fairly well, without any of the black smoke/soot that I'd experienced with the pellets. Just add a couple of bits of wood every so often.

Gas is still really handy, so I haven't actually cooked any pizzas with the wood approach, but if I ever bring the oven away with me I think I'll give it a try (save me lugging a gas canister).

Yeah my intention is to get the gas attachment but for now just going to go with pellets. Regarding the gas can you get smaller bottles other than those yellow Calor ones? And where stocks them

Yeah my intention is to get the gas attachment but for now just going to go with pellets. Regarding the gas can you get smaller bottles other than those yellow Calor ones? And where stocks them

It's the propane ones you want - the calor ones are blue. The calor.ie site shows that they have a 6KG version which might be handy. They list stockists there too.

If either of you track down a decent pellet option please post hear would be great to know

Tried Woodies and B&Q and neither had wood pellets. So Im going to order online- Ooni themselves sell 10kg of their own brand pellets for £18.50 but you need to spend £25 to get free shipping to a Parcel Motel. Amazon have 10kg of Ooni pellets also for £18.50 and that includes free UK shipping but I think you have to spend a total of £25 in the one order to get it. The Traager pellets mentioned earlier seem even more expensive at £27 for 9kg.

I might just order the pellets from Ooni themselves and pick up a cover for it at the same time as it'll stay outside year round I think. Has anyone bought a cover and has it prevented rust/degradation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭k123456

You could sourcing pellets from a firewood supplier

Softwood is a big no no when cooking, has to be hardwood

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

k123456 wrote: »
    You could sourcing pellets from a firewood supplier

Softwood is a big no no when cooking, has to be hardwood

This has been discussed to death on the Unni facebook page. The consensus is that as long as there are no chemicals in the soft wood it is ok. In the UK a lot of the users use Brites pellets. I believe that the EnPlus certification means that they only use the natural lignants to bind the pellets.

I've had the Ooni 2s for about 3 years and have used the Staffords pettets from Woodies. No issues and they have the EnPlus certification too.

What price and kg are the Staffords pellets in Woodies?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

All the pet shops are now selling wood pellets for use as cat litter. I haven't tried cooking with it!
    Your local fuel merchant is the way to go.
    And if you're too lazy to get to your fuel merchant - they are probably able to deliver - just get a couple of bags of logs at the same time.

What price and kg are the Staffords pellets in Woodies?

Cheap. I think 8-10 quid for 15 kg.

• Advertisement

Wisesmurf wrote: »
    Cheap. I think 8-10 quid for 15 kg.

Sounds like a bargain compared to around €25 for 10kg for Oonis own pellets. I had asked in Woodies for wood pellets but was told they dont do them, I must have asked some part time summer jobber who says that to everyone when they dont know where a product is :rolleyes: Will try again, thanks.

Sounds like a bargain compared to around €25 for 10kg for Oonis own pellets. I had asked in Woodies for wood pellets but was told they dont do them, I must have asked some part time summer jobber who says that to everyone when they dont know where a product is :rolleyes: Will try again, thanks.

Pellets are not stocked in Woodies during the summer (they are stocked for heating demand) I usually get a few bags in the winter and does me all year.

Store them in a dry location. Damp is a killer and will make them useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

https://www.woodies.ie/catalogsearch/result/?q=wood+pellets

Availability is another matter!

HTH

So the pellets sold for heating are fine for cooking? Had seen 'food grade' pellets advertised before, is this just a marketing trick or can the heating pellets give food off flavours?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Had seen 'food grade' pellets advertised before, is this just a marketing trick or can the heating pellets give food off flavours?
    it might be intended as a note for people using them to age alcohols.

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/oak-chips-american-heavy-toast-100g-p-1452.html

So are these pellets are just compressed wood with no added chemicals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Rosahane

The Orchard in Celbridge have Treager pellets in a few different hardwoods. Haven’t tried them yet as we still have a bag of Ooni to finish.

Thanks, got the Staffords pellets in Woodies in the end. Havent had a cook with them as yet but sure they'll do the trick.

Im gonna upgrade to the gas at some stage anyway, just hoping they knock the price of the gas attachment as its pretty steep at €70

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

They're a bit of a rip off I find. I just use the BBQ. Get it nice and hot, up to 400c and they turn out great. All about the heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Can I resurrect an old thread and ask have people got the value from the ovens that they thought they would? I’m mad to get one but I don’t have the space just yet!

Advertisement