Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Pizza ovens

145791085

Comments



  • Pete123456 wrote: »
    Can I resurrect an old thread and ask have people got the value from the ovens that they thought they would? I’m mad to get one but I don’t have the space just yet!

    Not the answer you're looking for but I would recommend a pizza stone if you don't have space for the oven.

    I blast the oven up to full (300°) and leave the stone in there for another 20 mins or so, to ensure it's extremely hot. Pizza's are generally done in 4-5 mins.




  • PARlance wrote: »
    Not the answer you're looking for but I would recommend a pizza stone if you don't have space for the oven.

    I blast the oven up to full (300°) and leave the stone in there for another 20 mins or so, to ensure it's extremely hot. Pizza's are generally done in 4-5 mins.

    Yeah, I agree, I have a 16 inch pizza stone but the oven only does 270 and even at that I’d say the seals are dodge because the drawers next to it are slightly melted... thanks though!




  • Pete123456 wrote: »
    Can I resurrect an old thread and ask have people got the value from the ovens that they thought they would? I’m mad to get one but I don’t have the space just yet!


    Have the Ooni 3,great piece of kit but takes a bit of getting used to.Pizzas cook so quickly once up to temp. Used mine twice in the last month.Small enough to put in the shed when not being used.




  • Pete123456 wrote: »
    Can I resurrect an old thread and ask have people got the value from the ovens that they thought they would? I’m mad to get one but I don’t have the space just yet!

    Had the original pizza oven mentioned at the beginning of the thread. It was great while it lasted but after 18 months became unusable as it kept tripping the switches. There is a way to fix it but I never bothered.

    Got the Unni and although its expensive its a great bit of kit. Its stainless steel so should last a long time, no electrics or moving parts to go on it either. Its obviously outdoor cooking too so only really a summer time thing for me anyway. But if you want to make pizza true Italian style with an oven that gets up to 500 degrees then its a great thing to have. It also does tandoori chicken and naan breads really well, roast veg at those temperatures get a really great char too.




  • Muahahaha wrote: »
    Got the Unni and although its expensive its a great bit of kit.

    Which one did you get? I see them for 200 quid and the like.

    Im tempted. Although I've been doing pizzas on the BBQ because it gets up to 400c and they turn out pretty good.


  • Advertisement


  • Pete123456 wrote: »
    the oven only does 270
    there are other factors besides temp, an aifryer only gets to 200C so I did not hold out much hope for it doing pizzas, but it is amazing for them, cheese is perfectly brownd, but most are very small. I do very wide slices of commercial pizzas one at a time.




  • The Nal wrote: »
    Which one did you get? I see them for 200 quid and the like.

    Im tempted. Although I've been doing pizzas on the BBQ because it gets up to 400c and they turn out pretty good.

    I got the Unni 2, found it on Adverts for 130 brand new and boxed, it was an unwanted wedding present which I gladly took off their hands for that price.

    AFAIK the main difference (aside from minor aesthetics) between the 2 and the 3 is that there is a gas attachment for the 3 that they dont stand over for using with the 2 but lots of people have without issue anyway.

    If your BBQ is hitting 400c then you dont really *need* a dedicated pizza oven, it might still be nice to have one though :D




  • Pete123456 wrote: »
    Can I resurrect an old thread and ask have people got the value from the ovens that they thought they would? I’m mad to get one but I don’t have the space just yet!

    The first thing I'd say is don't buy one of the BBQ style ones they've been doing in aldi the last few years - they're rubbish. Fundamentally flawed design where the fire is below the stone, so it's either WAY too hot, or not hot enough.

    Like others on here, I bought an unni and I love it. We use ours all year round (as long as it's not too windy). I'd say I average twice a month. Perfecting the dough is half the fun. The only problem now is we've turned into pizza snobs, and nothing else compares.

    If you decide to go for an unni, I'd suggest getting one with the gas attachment (some of the newer ones are gas only). Some people enjoy messing around with the pellet burning, but it's pretty hit and miss, and makes the whole experience too stressful.

    Hope this helps.

    PS: I've got dough in the fridge on a 48 hour cold prove, for pizza night tomorrow. Useful these days (if you can find yeast!).




  • Muahahaha wrote: »
    If your BBQ is hitting 400c then you dont really *need* a dedicated pizza oven, it might still be nice to have one though :D

    I was looking at doing something like this.





  • The Nal wrote: »
    I was looking at doing something like this.

    My longer term goal has always been to build a proper one too (although I'd say I'll keep the unni, because it's ready to rock in 20 minutes, and you'd be talking 90 for a proper oven to get up to temperature, from what I've read). There's lots of material out there on DIY ovens. The most impressive ones I've seen start with a gym ball, to get the dome right.



    I've also read that the size/height of the opening relative to the height of the dome is very important. Just in case you do go for it.

    cache_45520169.jpg?t=1481843148


  • Advertisement


  • I got an Ooni Karu via Kickstarter recently, it's brilliant! I think we've used it every weekend since getting it a few months ago. It's wood fired (not pellets, just hardwood) and/or charcoal lump wood and starts up very quickly.




  • RonnieL wrote: »
    The first thing I'd say is don't buy one of the BBQ style ones they've been doing in aldi the last few years - they're rubbish. Fundamentally flawed design where the fire is below the stone, so it's either WAY too hot, or not hot enough.

    Like others on here, I bought an unni and I love it. We use ours all year round (as long as it's not too windy). I'd say I average twice a month. Perfecting the dough is half the fun. The only problem now is we've turned into pizza snobs, and nothing else compares.

    If you decide to go for an unni, I'd suggest getting one with the gas attachment (some of the newer ones are gas only). Some people enjoy messing around with the pellet burning, but it's pretty hit and miss, and makes the whole experience too stressful.

    Hope this helps.

    PS: I've got dough in the fridge on a 48 hour cold prove, for pizza night tomorrow. Useful these days (if you can find yeast!).

    Thanks a mill, yeah I’ve got a few dough recipes that I find reliable, I reckon if I had the space i would love a full-size one. Probably a bit of a waste getting an electric jobby, was also going to get the BBQ one in Aldi yesterday till I read through this thread.
    timmaii wrote: »
    I got an Ooni Karu via Kickstarter recently, it's brilliant! I think we've used it every weekend since getting it a few months ago. It's wood fired (not pellets, just hardwood) and/or charcoal lump wood and starts up very quickly.

    I’ve seen that one, I think if I went for it I’d want the gas attachment also for convenience.

    Is there anything special about the Koda do ye know? Would love the Koda 16, but the regular one seems better value




  • RonnieL wrote: »
    Perfecting the dough is half the fun. The only problem now is we've turned into pizza snobs, and nothing else compares.

    Yeah have had the same experience here, perfecting the dough was tricky but once you do then it is happy days. Have caught the snobbery factor too, no regular oven pizzas come anywhere near a pizza that is cooked fresh at the very high temperatures these ovens put out.

    The Nal wrote: »
    I was looking at doing something like this.

    yeah they would do a great job too but as the other poster said be aware they take a long time to get up to temperature so using them is not likely to be a spur of the moment decision. Whereas with the Unni it can be fired up in no time at all. You'd also need to be handy at brickwork/pointing, I've seen DIY examples that are a terrible job in terms of how they look.




  • timmaii wrote: »
    I got an Ooni Karu via Kickstarter recently, it's brilliant! I think we've used it every weekend since getting it a few months ago. It's wood fired (not pellets, just hardwood) and/or charcoal lump wood and starts up very quickly.

    That looks class wasn't aware there was new model. Have been tempted to get the Ooni 3 but had seen the pellets can be tricky to keep burning and susceptible to wind. This looks much handier being able burn wood and charcoal.

    Have just got a Weber kettle and was going to get a pizza stone and peel or one the kits to convert the kettle to an oven like this It does look good and I can imagine it's a big help not having to take the lid off. Anyone got one or something like it? Still probably better saving my money and getting the Ooni Karu. Would be handy for camping too.




  • The more I look at videos and reviews, the more I want the koda... I see someone has a ooni 3 on adverts for 200 with cover, peel, thermometer and pellets, but I reckon I would need to buy the gas burner and all in it would still be €220 - €250.

    New, the ooni 3 is now 200 whereas the koda with bits new is about 350 - 370

    Decisions decisions......




  • Pete123456 wrote: »
    The more I look at videos and reviews, the more I want the koda... I see someone has a ooni 3 on adverts for 200 with cover, peel, thermometer and pellets, but I reckon I would need to buy the gas burner and all in it would still be €220 - €250.

    New, the ooni 3 is now 200 whereas the koda with bits new is about 350 - 370

    Decisions decisions......

    Here's a Koda for €279

    https://eu.ooni.com/products/ooni-koda?variant=18861716144195

    Nice design




  • Ryath wrote: »

    Have just got a Weber kettle and was going to get a pizza stone and peel or one the kits to convert the kettle to an oven like this It does look good and I can imagine it's a big help not having to take the lid off. Anyone got one or something like it? Still probably better saving my money and getting the Ooni Karu. Would be handy for camping too.

    That Weber conversion kit is interesting, had never seen them before. The only question Id have is what kind of temps would the Weber get up to while using it, would it hit that magic 450-500c range that the Oonis do?

    I think thats one of the main selling points of the Ooni for me, the high temperatures result in a beautiful crust with air pockets and those leopard spots that you want from a pizza that is restaurant quality. Also the heat of the Ooni is being delivered two ways- both from the stone below and from the flames licking over the top of the pizza.

    I suppose what you could do is put a pizza stone on your Weber for half an hour with charcoal burning below it and then test the temperature using an infra-red thermometer. If its hitting 450-500 then it may very well achieve a similar result.




  • Ye talked me into it... just bought the Koda :D

    slight delays due to COVID but a week or two will give me extra time to work on my doughs :D

    EDIT: If you sign up to their mailing list, you get a 5% discount code which seems to work with any item. Just make sure you are on the EU store, as I accidentally got a code for the US site first :)




  • Pete123456 wrote: »
    Ye talked me into it... just bought the Koda :D

    slight delays due to COVID but a week or two will give me extra time to work on my doughs :D

    EDIT: If you sign up to their mailing list, you get a 5% discount code which seems to work with any item. Just make sure you are on the EU store, as I accidentally got a code for the US site first :)

    00 flour here https://collect.pallasfoods.com/flour-for-fresh-pasta-1x5-kg-490313.html
    Semolina here
    https://collect.pallasfoods.com/gem-semolina-1x3-kg-z323007.html
    Yeast here
    https://collect.pallasfoods.com/yeast-fresh-12x1-kg-fu160.html
    And the Pizza Peel to bring your order over €30
    https://collect.pallasfoods.com/thunder-pizza-pale-26-inch-490499.html

    Happy days!




  • Pete123456 wrote: »
    Ye talked me into it... just bought the Koda :D

    slight delays due to COVID but a week or two will give me extra time to work on my doughs :D

    EDIT: If you sign up to their mailing list, you get a 5% discount code which seems to work with any item. Just make sure you are on the EU store, as I accidentally got a code for the US site first :)

    I just bought one too!

    What's the story with the gas? I read somewhere, probably here, that you need propane. Is that the red cylinders? Is it easy to get?


  • Advertisement


  • Ned01 wrote: »
    I just bought one too!

    What's the story with the gas? I read somewhere, probably here, that you need propane. Is that the red cylinders? Is it easy to get?

    Yeah I’m really excited... propane is the red cylinders, as far as I can tell it can be got easy enough, I suppose I never took much notice previously when BBQing whether it was propane or butane but yeah.

    Should be 55 or so for the bottle full the first time and then 30 to 35 ish for refills. My only concern is with the fitting, I got the 37mBar which is supposed to match Irish bottles but I’ve seen different tops on gas bottles before. My plan is to bring the Koda with me when getting the gas first time




  • Ned01 wrote: »
    I just bought one too!

    What's the story with the gas? I read somewhere, probably here, that you need propane. Is that the red cylinders? Is it easy to get?
    Me too!! Paid €236.55. Thanks for the code.
    Ye might put up here any issues or tips on using it once it has delivered.




  • I eventually gave in and bought the Roccbox on a black Friday deal last year. I had tried a pizza stone, Aldi's bakerstone imitation and few other things over the years for our weekly pizza night with varying results i.e. no sucess and a lot of pizza crap cluttering the shed, buy cheap buy twice etc. etc.

    The Roccbox was a gamechanger. Restaurant quality pizza every time. Like I say I havn't tried the new Ooni but the Roccbox is the biz.

    As an interesting aside I was recommended to get one by a friend who has a proper outdoor pizza oven. He reminded me that a brick oven takes ages to heat up, needs wood for fuel etc. vs the Roccbox (and likely the Uuni) can be turned on and and are ready in about 20 - 30 mins. The Rocbox can do pizza after pizza once heated up.




  • maximo31 wrote: »
    Me too!! Paid €236.55. Thanks for the code.
    Ye might put up here any issues or tips on using it once it has delivered.

    No problem :) I expect the scuffs on it are really minor but even so I’d say you’d get them over time anyways with the finish of it, moving around etc., 236 is a good price in my opinion!

    Yeah the roc box looks good but from what I’ve seen it’s a little pricier. I’m just looking forward to not melting the kitchen and being able to watch it rise in real time :D




  • Ooni Fyra is out today - wonder will other prices drop?




  • Has it been posted in this thread yet for where to get the materials to build a pizza oven?

    Anyone who has built care to post some links?




  • Hi Pete. I'm about to buy ooni but can't get code for mailing list and discount. Subscribe link on homepage is not working for me.




  • Has it been posted in this thread yet for where to get the materials to build a pizza oven?

    Anyone who has built care to post some links?

    Loads of free plans online if you Google. Pretty much just bricks and cement. There was a post on here, in the last few weeks, about the importance the size of the opening is in getting the inside temperature hot enough.




  • villamar wrote: »
    Hi Pete. I'm about to buy ooni but can't get code for mailing list and discount. Subscribe link on homepage is not working for me.

    You need to make sure you’re on the EU site when you subscribe, and then use the code on the EU site. The same applies if you wanted to buy on the UK site.

    If you try that it should work? As I said, I wrongly subscribed on the US site and the code wouldn’t work on the eu site.

    Other than that you could try contacting them? But it worked for two of us here at least


  • Advertisement


  • Has it been posted in this thread yet for where to get the materials to build a pizza oven?

    Anyone who has built care to post some links?

    Hi,
    I've been planning on doing if for a while (DIY).
    There is a place in Athy that sells Kits.
    A friend of mine (a brickie) has build 3/4 and said they kit they offer is very good.
    looks like the pizza oven site is offline but here is the main site.

    http://www.dineensales.com/PizzaOvens.aspx

    I've attached the price list and the instructions they sent me.


Advertisement