Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

trashcan wrote: »
    Well, exactly. How can it affect you when you live nowhere near the area ? But yet, you claim them as "your" club. The local supporters may disagree with you though that the club is bigger than the local community.

I've said before that I really don't give a rats ass who people support, but I do find the English supporting lads just a tad disingenuous on the subject. We all get it really. You support English teams because it's more glamorous, it's indoctrinated into us by the media, and frankly it's easier. Yeah the football is a higher standard, but I honestly think that's incidental.
    I don't claim anything, their my club, there part of my childhood, I love my club as much as I love football. Yeah people can have different opinions. Again I fell in love with my English club before I even knew there was a choice, I didn't know I had a local team. I support an Airtricity league team now but it's not as easy when you don't have friends to go to a match with. I picked my team before I knew what the word glamour meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

8-10 wrote: »
    But you don't have to have any ties to that locality for it to be your club.

Tell that to the people of Wimbledon.Their club was taken away from them. If locality meant nothing, they'd have migrated to MK. It's pretty telling that MK Dons were pretty much abhorred by the rest of the Football League. Of course, none of that matters to someone who just attaches themselves to a team from another country. It's brutal when it happens to a club that's embedded into your community though. Local people are the lifeblood of clubs the world over. The elite attract fans from everywhere else but drop to the bottom half of the EPL and it's local people propping up their clubs.
    I know which league sounds more welcoming to new fans

The LOI loves new fans. It's been said on here so many times. There's testimonies on this thread of people being welcomed with open arms. You're just rattling off a tired cliche because it's handier to just say that.

Greyfox wrote: »
    Nonsense, I love my club. It's the results on the pitch that matter most.

So Wimbledon fans should've been going crazy for MK Dons promotions by your logic? That's grand!

Not to me. Bohs haven’t won anything in years but Dalymount is a better evening out for me than it ever has been these days.

The camaraderie at Bohs the last two years has been exceptional. I've been there when we won leagues back to back and were in Europe and yet this time right now is as good as it's ever been. As the old adage goes, We See Things They'll Never See.

They are two different experiences. I like supporting Bohs whereas I’d be very cynical about how superstar football is these days.

True and one can enjoy both. Superstar football is not what it used to be.

• Advertisement

How can a club move effect me directly when I live nowhere near the area?

This is honestly something you should be trying to brush under the rug and not highlighting. Can you imagine the uproar if Liverpool were to be moved to Yorkshire? Can you? The people of Liverpool would go absolutely nuts and rightly so. Wouldn't effect you though... Jesus Christ!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Omackeral wrote: »
    The LOI loves new fans. It's been said on here so many times. There's testimonies on this thread of people being welcomed with open arms. You're just rattling off a tired cliche because it's handier to just say that.

Honestly my experience as LOI grounds has been pretty neutral. Not overly welcoming or unfriendly.

I'm more commenting on how internet arguments sound to a neutral. It honestly sounds like I'm being judged for supporting Liverpool and people have said outright in this thread that I am not a real supporter or fan by multiple people. I have no interest in going to sit beside people who don't think Im a supporter of my own team.

Overall I don't see what LOI fans want. Do they want more fans?

True and one can enjoy both.

Really wish they would. Hopefully some of the people that came to see Chelsea vs Bohs will come back.

Tell that to the people of Wimbledon.Their club was taken away from them. If locality meant nothing, they'd have migrated to MK. It's pretty telling that MK Dons were pretty much abhorred by the rest of the Football League. Of course, none of that matters to someone who just attaches themselves to a team from another country. It's brutal when it happens to a club that's embedded into your community though. Local people are the lifeblood of clubs the world over. The elite attract fans from everywhere else but drop to the bottom half of the EPL and it's local people propping up their clubs.

It's worse in franchise sports like baseball or American football. Wasn't long ago the LA Raiders were a thing only to now become the Las Vegas Raiders after moving from being the Oakland Raiders. 3 cities in a generation.

And spare a thought for the Montreal Expos, not only did they move city but they moved to a different country! They're now the Washington Nationals.

I don't think the English soccer teams have it nearly as bad to be honest. At least their team stays in the same country!

I have no interest in going to sit beside people who don't think Im a supporter of my own team.

People wouldn't even know. I never get this line of thought. How would they know. Also, as said umpteen times on thread, 99% of LOI fans have a team they like in England too. Anyway, always happy to have new people on board. Nothing better than seeing a newbie lose their sh*t over a banger of a goal or experiencing something wild and getting the live football bug.

• Advertisement

It's worse in franchise sports like baseball or American football. Wasn't long ago the LA Raiders were a thing only to now become the Las Vegas Raiders after moving from being the Oakland Raiders. 3 cities in a generation.

And spare a thought for the Montreal Expos, not only did they move city but they moved to a different country! They're not the Washington Nationals.

I don't think the English soccer teams have it nearly as bad to be honest. At least their team stays in the same country!

They don't even have relegation/promotion over there. It's a completely different culture. Away days, for example, would be few and far between as long haul flights are required.

People wouldn't even know. I never get this line of thought. How would they know. Also, as said umpteen times on thread, 99% of LOI fans have a team they like in England too. Anyway, always happy to have new people on board. Nothing better than seeing a newbie lose their sh*t over a banger of a goal or experiencing something wild and getting the live football bug.

Would you happy if you team was as popular as Premier League teams?

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Nothing, nothing is bigger than its community, as I said if you think a football club is just results on a pitch then there's no need to even continue this because your whole view of football is flawed, nevermind your view of who to support.

It's a lot more than just results but results are required to keep the club making a profit. It's not flawed it's just you don't like the fact that not everyone sees football the same way as you. Everyone in Ireland doesn't grow up with a local team beside them.

This is honestly something you should be trying to brush under the rug and not highlighting. Can you imagine the uproar if Liverpool were to be moved to Yorkshire? Can you? The people of Liverpool would go absolutely nuts and rightly so. Wouldn't effect you though... Jesus Christ!

In fairness your right if my club moved to a different city it would effect me as it would ruin part of the fabric of the club

Would you happy if you team was as popular as Premier League teams?

I'd be happy if the people that described themselves as football-mad in this country attended matches every week and backed their local clubs the way the people of Bristol (for example) do. Why can Bristol natives do it but we can't?

I'd be happy if the people that described themselves as football-mad in this country attended matches every week and backed their local clubs the way the people of Bristol (for example) do. Why can Bristol natives do it but we can't?

Yep that's fair. Definitely wouldn't describe myself as football mad but I know the type of people you're referring to

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

haha ya right a tiny minority that's like saying a tiny minority of Rangers fans support loyalist paramilitaries

You haven’t a clue.

Guessing you are a Celtic fan.

98% of Chelsea fans couldn’t give a fcuk about either of those teams.

But you probably know better than me.

I know people who were match day stewards at Chelsea before they got all the money and witness Linfield and Rangers stuff being sold at the club shop

I’m telling you it is less than 2% who hold that view.

But don’t let that get that in the way of the original claim of large support

• Registered Users Posts: 22 padzer220982

You haven’t a clue.

I'm a Waterford supporter.

I highly doubt that 98% of Chelsea fans don't somewhat follow Linfield or Rangers

I take it that you're an Irishman that supports Chelsea who does not want to acknowledge a good few of their fellow fans have a connection to Linfield\Rangers\Loyalism in general

How Irish people can actually support Chelsea I'll never know.

You haven’t a clue.

Some nice images of the friendship/relationship between some of the supporters of Chelsea/Rangers/Linfield (Blue's Brothers) that definitely does not exist..

• Advertisement

I highly doubt that 98% of Chelsea fans don't somewhat follow Linfield or Rangers

I take it that you're an Irishman that supports Chelsea who dosnt want to acknowledge a lot of their fan base connection to Linfield\Rangers\Loyalism[/quot

West ham fan.

Seriously I have been to that ground many times. Down the old shed end. There are some fans like that but a tiny minority.

I promise you. I can pull west ham pictures off the internet saying the same and worse but again it is a tiny minority.

So to your initial point about a large base, you are way off the mark

I take it that you're an Irishman that supports Chelsea who dosnt want to acknowledge a lot of their fan base connection to Linfield\Rangers\Loyalism[/quot

West ham fan.

Seriously I have been to that ground many times. Down the old shed end. There are some fans like that but a tiny minority.

I promise you. I can pull west ham pictures off the internet saying the same and worse but again it is a tiny minority.

So to your initial point about a large base, you are way off the mark

Mabye at West Ham but at Chelsea I just can't accept that only a tiny minority of their fan base have loyalist sympathy's. It's just not true. Their fan's connection to Rangers espically is a well known fact, and they are proud of it. Just google Chelsea/Rangers. They're nicknamed the Blues Brothers along with Linfield because they've some kind of relationship obviously.

Some Irish people who support Chelsea just can't seem to accept that the team they support also has a fair amount of pro Rangers boys following alongside them.

Mabye at West Ham but at Chelsea I just can't accept that only a tiny minority of their fan base have loyalist sympathy's. It's just not true. Their fan's connection to Rangers espically is a well known fact, and they are proud of it. Just google Chelsea/Rangers. They're nicknamed the Blues Brothers along with Linfield because they've some kind of relationship obviously.

Some Irish people who support Chelsea just can't seem to accept that the team they support also has a fair amount of pro Rangers boys following alongside them.

I’ll agree to disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I’m telling you it is less than 2% who hold that view.

But don’t let that get that in the way of the original claim of large support

You're a customer. That's all. Consuming a product. Your lack of self awareness is depressing. Like most EPL fans.

You're a customer. That's all. Consuming a product. You're lack of self awareness is depressing. Like most EPL fans.

Why does it matter to you?

If someone gets joy out of supporting a football club, that's a good thing, regardless of their reason.

Don't get depressed about it. Stop caring so much about the actions of others and your life will improve, I'm sure of it

Given that the vast majority of Chelsea fans are foreign, with huge support in places like east Asia and the USA (gaining a lot more this season with Pulisic), I'd say it's comfortable that most don't know about those teams let alone follow them.

First time I've heard about any links with those clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Why does it matter to you?

If someone gets joy out of supporting a football club, that's a good thing, regardless of their reason.

Don't get depressed about it. Stop caring so much about the actions of others and your life will improve, I'm sure of it

Yeah but...they are more than a bit dim.

Why support the city of Manchester or Birmingham?

Why not support Dublin?

It's embarrassing because these "supporters" are so stupid they don't see the link between their money and football development - why send it to Britain?

Why support the United Kingdom? By supporting their clubs that is what they are doing.

Support Ireland and Irish clubs.

Yeah but...they are more than a bit dim.

Why support the city of Manchester or Birmingham?

Why not support Dublin?

It's embarrassing because these "supporters" are so stupid they don't see the link between their money and football development - why send it to Britain?

Why support the United Kingdom?

Why not? You don't ever consume foreign products? I don't get that argument

What's wrong with the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Why not? You don't ever consume foreign products? I don't get that argument

What's wrong with the UK?

Are you British?

Why would you support a foreign league at the expense of your own league?

Look, I don't expect an answer. You are all thick to me and the same idiots who will slam the Irish league "because it's sh!t".

You can't get through to people like that.

I'm not going to bother.

• Advertisement

Are you British?

Why would you support a foreign league at the expense of your own league?

Look, I don't expect an answer. You are all thick to me and the same idiots who will slam the Irish league "because it's sh!t".

You can't get through to people like that.

I'm not going to bother.

I'm not British, no. I'm Irish and I support a team in England.

Do you think it's plausible that most of these supporters actually do realise that their money goes to British clubs and not Irish football development and are comfortable with that fact?

You seem to be jumping to the conclusion that they don't realise that fact because they are stupid. That seems like a stretch to me. Think you have it wrong mate. I got one am very well aware of where I'm spending my money.

I've never said the Irish league is ****. It just doesn't interest me at much.

It's nothing to do with politics or international relations

Advertisement