Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What new penalty point offence would you create if you could?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Indication is a big one, 5 points for that.

There are other existing ones where points need to be increased.

Another i would bring in would be a mandatory S.41 if caught on the phone with a minimum charge of €500 to release the vehicle,naturally you'll always find people who will be disobliging regardless but this is a minority in society thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Drivers who hog the white line and refuse to overtake the arctic lorry that has pulled into the hard shoulder on a straight to let them pass

If i don't have high blood pressure from this now then i never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

XsApollo wrote: »
    Road licenses for cyclists and a penalty point system for them.

No benefit only to satisfy bitter minds.

There's a chronic lack of enforcement on the road and behaviour is equally appalling across all road groups. Just enforce the existing rules across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭micar

Using fog lights when there's no fog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Three points for misuse of car horn (i.e. to berate another driver). Six if you accelerated towards their mistake for added drama. Almost always male drivers who do this.
    Two points for overtaking a bus as it tries to emerge from a bus stop.
    Automatic driving ban for using a phone while driving (treat it like drink-driving, essentially).
    Six points for driving too close to a cyclist
    Three points for driving with DRLs and no rear lights at night. Alas, the guards themselves are major offenders.

• Advertisement

Road licenses for cyclists and a penalty point system for them..

Never going to happen.

People need to be encouraged to cycle not discouraged.

More people commuting to work by bike means less vehicles, less congestion and ultimately reduced journey times....win win for all.

Anyone living within 10km of work should be cycling where possible .......of course there will be exceptions

80% of cyclist drive ....have a driving licence, pay motor tax and insurance.

In the last 15/16 years, no cyclist has been responsible for a death of another person on Irish roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

12 points for tail-gating.

Speed limits are limits, not goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

5 points for throwing rubbish out the window of a vehicle.

12 points for having an un-restrained dog in the car.

Especially if you let it hang out the window or lie on the parcel shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Points for people on the motorway that can’t make their mind up whether they want to travel 100kp/h or 140kp/h. At this stage most cars have cruise control. Just set it. Overtaking the same car on the motorway over and over again is frustrating. I generally set the cruise to 115kp/h and sit in the left lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,162 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

_2yqMV.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

4 penalty points to idiots who see a red light in the distance and begin slowing down to a pathetic crawl to save their brake pads, with no regard to motorists behind them who want to turn before the red light - either at a junction before the light, or into a car park etc.

Even when there's no junction, it's annoying being forced to crawl behind someone driving like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

micar wrote: »

In the last 15/16 years, no cyclist has been responsible for a death of another person on Irish roads.

Yeah but how many heads have they melted. I hate the Lycra brigade. Hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

freddieot wrote: »
    Doing 60 in a 100 zone on a twisty back road and holding up dozens of cars (like a guy I met today) :D (1 point)

Driving at a crawl around bends on country roads, and at the first chance someone has to overtake, accelerates to 100kph. So rude and it happens the whole time. 12 points and a public flogging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,410 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Duckjob wrote: »
    No benefit only to satisfy bitter minds.

There's a chronic lack of enforcement on the road and behaviour is equally appalling across all road groups. Just enforce the existing rules across the board.

Excuse me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,410 ✭✭✭XsApollo

micar wrote: »
    Never going to happen.

People need to be encouraged to cycle not discouraged.

More people commuting to work by bike means less vehicles, less congestion and ultimately reduced journey times....win win for all.

Anyone living within 10km of work should be cycling where possible .......of course there will be exceptions

80% of cyclist drive ....have a driving licence, pay motor tax and insurance.

What happens when everybody is on bikes?
    Will we need rules then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

What happens when everybody is on bikes?
    Will we need rules then?

Go to Holland. They're all on bikes. Throughput of people is enormous on tiny little streets. No noise. No helmets. No hi viz. Rains just as much as here.

If u took every bollocks clogging the quays in his car out of it tomorrow and hurled him onto a bike, there would be no need for traffic lights, yellow boxes, double yellows, turning lanes..... there would hundreds going through O'Connell bridge in all directions seamlessly. The roads would be in some condition also.

But of course that will never happen here, because you need a Qashqai to live your life in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Irrational hatred for a random group of people you don't know? Maybe get your mental health checked out., sounds like there may be a few issues there.

Also, the preoccupation with gazing at fit men's arses and crotches while driving? Maybe channel that energy into being a better more concentrated driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

L plates on upside down, 48 points, if you can't manage to put the sticker on the right way around you have no business on the road for a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Throwing cigarettes out of the car window, especially in slow moving traffic.

• Advertisement

I'm sure loads.......how many have they killed....0.

You're more annoyed they're in your way for a very short period of time. Yet you'll sit happy out in heavy traffic.

Not sure what the issue is about cyclists wear cycling clothing.

Do you have a problem with people wearing GAA, football, rugby kits.....People wearing attire playing/participating in other sports.

People who run wear runners t shirt and shorts.

Cycle an hour on a bike and tell me how your bum is .......you'll be off to the shops to buy a pair of cycling leggings.

Road licenses for cyclists and a penalty point system for them.
    Also mandatory insurance.

AulWan wrote: »

Username so appropriate.

I'd put money on more cyclists having valid insurance/tax (on the cars they've left at home) than drivers in the city

AulWan wrote: »

It is estimated that 1 in 14 motorists are driving uninsured.

How many other motorists are driving while banned, without licences, no NCT, learners driving unaccompanied.

How many are driving with drink and drug affecting their driving?

I'm more concerned about those.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,162 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Oh, looks like the MAMILs have arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    1. Middle lane driving

2. German italics number plates

3. Driving around the roundabout (3 o'clock exit) in the left hand lane.

What is wrong with number three? If there is no solid line forcing motorists to exit from particular lane at said exit, it is ok to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭GE90

3 points for failing to join a motorway at a safe speed. Nothing worse than getting stuck behind someone crawling on the on ramp and merging at 50km/h causing mayhem all around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

gross stupidity.
    phone usage, holding the phone while grooming my hair, while listening (and sharing) crap music at high volume.

driving around as though spaced out with kid or kuds untethered in the back but you have your seat belt on.

and general 'im so fooking dozy i shouldn't be alive '. thats my favourite at the minute:)

bazz26 wrote: »

Go down to Rathmines Rd tomorrow morning and see if you can find any amongst the hundreds getting to work before the BARFATTs.

(Balding ars*holes responsible for all that traffic)

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »

Educating the moronic motorists that it's other motorisrs not cyclists who are the danger on our roads.......yes ....our roads.....roads are for everyone ......except motorways

I'll be back after watching the Tour De France highlights.......big climb to end the days racing.

Advertisement