Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderation of boards as a whole.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I have recently noticed moderation that left me scratching my head.

We've all been there. I've learned there's no real point arguing it anymore.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Even though similar posts were not carded? So if I am offended by a post you will give the poster a card? Surely there needs to be a bit of reasonableness.

It’s hard to comment as I don’t know to which post you are referring. But if you ever have a question, contact the mods, CMods or Admins. There is no great secrecy here or persecution. If people keep their thoughts to themselves, how will we know how they feel?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,348 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

dudara wrote: »
    It’s hard to comment as I don’t know to which post you are referring. But if you ever have a question, contact the mods, CMods or Admins. There is no great secrecy here or persecution. If people keep their thoughts to themselves, how will we know how they feel?

Heres the post with the image removed
    Pretzill wrote: »
    Right back atcha Deja...

Maybe someone can explain what was so "offensive" that the poster was carded?

Was there a report or did the mod take it upon themself to be offended?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

dudara wrote: »

I make this point to my OH all the time... the answer I always get is 'You *should* know.....'

She's always right of course.

Sorry, just some light hearted input into an otherwise serious thread. :) We're not all heartless monsters...:D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Maybe someone can explain what was so "offensive" that the poster was carded?

The mod acted on a report. The gif the mod removed was considered offensive (and I can certainly see why). I'm not going to say anything further as the user has a right to appeal if they wish

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    The mod acted on a report. The gif the mod removed was considered offensive (and I can certainly see why). I'm not going to say anything further as the user has a right to appeal if they wish

There are pictures on that thread likening people to Fred West, Ku Klux Klan, overweight alcoholics, scarecrows etc. I mean really now.

If I reported any of the images would the poster be carded? After all Nosnon believes that one person taking offence is enough to deliver a card.

So much for CA for "serious" topics and AH for "lighthearted" topics.

Kill the thread lads because it's obviously gonna happen sooner or later. Another nail in the boards.ie coffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm a little bit shocked that a zoom gif on an old face with "booooo" text (iirc) is now deemed offensive.

The ridiculous act of actioning that particular post, and leaving others that are in actuality much more "offensive" and then justifying it with "ah well if someone is offended, and beauty is in the eye of the beer holder"

Really!?

There is much more on that thread that could be taken as offensive, either personally or vicariously.
    What if some poor soul was to report every image posted?

I mean I myself was portrayed as Ginger in one of the posts!
    An actual Ginger!!!

If I report it, will it be removed?
    Will the person who dared insinuate that I have been tainted by the brush of gingervitis by appropriately sanctioned for bruising my ego?

Or...
    Could ya know, common sense actions and adult behaviour be expected to prevail over posts that very clearly had no I'll meaning?

A compromise of sorts would have been better. Instead of carding the poster maybe a pm explaining that feelings were hurt and would they please remove the image. That way the aggrieved feels like something has been done, the poster receives no card, and none of us are any the wiser.

The other option would have been to say "Take a moment to think to about this, lots of people are at the receiving end of funny pics. I see no reason to issue a card in this instance".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

I'm appreciate Bagglys help via pm. He/She spent a lot of time with me; unfortunately we weren't ultimately able to get to the heart of the issue. If any Mod or Admin is interested in seeing what evidence I have of political bias I'd be more than happy to send them evidence, if they dispute this is happening. I'm sure just posting it up here would be seen as an attack or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

The debate about the picture thread seems odd. It always had the possibility of trending towards being insulting if not policed, and the only way to police it is by the reporting system, as the mods can’t tell what is insulting or not to someone.

The debate about the picture thread seems odd. It always had the possibility of trending towards being insulting if not policed and the way to police it is by reports as the mods can’t tell what is insulting or not to someone.

A bit of cop on needs to be used. Read Banie's post above. People are going to be offended about stuff on boards, that's life. A moderator should be able to read the tone of a thread. We should not be a "safe space" and pander to every little offence a person takes.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There are pictures on that thread likening people to Fred West, Ku Klux Klan, overweight alcoholics, scarecrows etc. I mean really now.

If I reported any of the images would the poster be carded? After all Nosnon believes that one person taking offence is enough to deliver a card.

If there was a picture put up with reference to yourself and you reported it as particularly offensive would you expect the mods to act?

If there was a picture put up with reference to yourself and you reported it as particularly offensive would you expect the mods to act?

If it was obvious that the picture was posted with no malice intended and was obvious that it's in keeping with the rest of the thread, I would be able to take a step back and accept a deletion of the picture instead of the poster being carded.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I gave the example of being presented as ginger...
    I genuinely have serious and possibly deep seated psychological issues with being presented as such.
    I know that's irrational, and seemingly silly but it's true.

Yet I did not report the post, or find it offensive because of the actual humourous intent, the motivation was not to insult and I could appreciate and accept that.

As Nala Melodic Variation has said, is boards now to just be a safe space?
    One mod has already confirmed that the outrage of 1% outweighs the acceptance or at worst ambivalence of the 99% and that the card given was warranted.

Is that where Boards is at?
    I know it's not a free speech site, nor do I expect it to be but a glorified nanny site where people can cry wolf at a perceived slight?
    Surely malice is required for a post to be considered an attack? Hurtful or trolling?

Where is the common sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

This has been going on for years. Always one, or a small handful of people either from the loyalist community in Northern Ireland or contrarian folk down here, just out to wind up.

My issue is not the community they come from (once they don't support sectarianism/paramilitarism) or that they are proud to be British/protestant - personally I would like to see such folk making actual contributions here.

My issue is with their modus operandi - to just be provocative and whatabout, and that's it.

It's frustrating when the current two people do nothing other than make inflammatory remarks with thinly veiled bigotry and downplaying of atrocities committed against members of the nationalist community. Nothing more. Not interested in discussion. I mean, sauntering into an Irish forum to wax lyrical about the 12th and to pretend there is a nationalist/republican equivalent. It's tiresome.

Various such folk have come and gone - some banned, some stopped posting - but there always seems to be at least one.

I just think their posting style doesn't offer anything to the community as it's simply a form of trolling and derailing, even if they could just be warned to post constructively.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

When I first started posting in AH years ago, this was one of the first things I noticed. And not just from the loyalist side, from the republican side also.

It went something like this.

On a Monday for example, a thread would be started on, say, an investigation into British forces collusion with loyalist paramilitaries. Somebody would reply that we need to remember X, Y, and Z attacks by Republican paramilitaries around the same time. Posters would point out the whataboutery, say that this thread was about one specific thing and that if they wanted to talk about X, Y, and Z they should start a new thread about it.

Not too long later, a thread would be started on, say, an anniversary of a Republican bombing that killed some innocent people. Somebody would reply that we need to remember A, B, and C attacks by Loyalist paramilitaries around the same time. Posters would point out the whataboutery, say that this thread was about one specific thing and that if they wanted to talk about A, B, and C they should start a new thread about it.

That stuff just went on and on. Posters seeking moral high ground and invoking a spirit or mature and principled debate at one moment, but instantly abandoning those morals and principles when it suited them to do so. Not an ounce of good faith posting between them.

It was a foreshadowing of the 'score cheap hypocritical digs under the guise of mature and principled discussion' that has pervaded so much of the content on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

<SNIP>

Please note that there is a minimum criteria whereby a user must have been a member for at least 3 months AND have posted at least 100 times, before you can post in Feedback.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I think the moderation in Current Affairs isn't working. I can understand & suggested that it should be a softer touch than, for example Politics, & more in keeping with AH. But it's filling up with more & more unpleasant & often personally insulting posts with so much repetition. In some threads it's killing any opportunity for actual discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

The current racist dogwhistle/thread is just ridiculous. Calls for armed response, deportations of three generations of families, segregation of colours. Derogatory terms such as "dindu nuffins" and "new Irish" used to describe black people. I don't know if this stuff is breaking any specific rule but I can't imagine it's what you'd consider good discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

their gunk isn't good discussion, but they are showing their true colours and exposing their bile and showing the nation exactly the type of people they are, which, IMO is no bad thing.
    debunk their nonsense or just ignore them and discuss around them. they will only be a problem if you make them one.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

MrFresh wrote: »
    The current racist dogwhistle/thread is just ridiculous. Calls for armed response, deportations of three generations of families, segregation of colours. Derogatory terms such as "dindu nuffins" and "new Irish" used to describe black people. I don't know if this stuff is breaking any specific rule but I can't imagine it's what you'd consider good discussion.

They aren’t Irish, so I can see why ‘new Irish’ would be offensive to real Irish people.

their gunk isn't good discussion, but they are showing their true colours and exposing their bile and showing the nation exactly the type of people they are, which, IMO is no bad thing.
    debunk their nonsense or just ignore them and discuss around them. they will only be a problem if you make them one.

You can't reason someone out of a position that isn't based on reason.

They aren’t Irish, so I can see why ‘new Irish’ would be offensive to real Irish people.

Take it up with the Constitution.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

They aren’t Irish, so I can see why ‘new Irish’ would be offensive to real white Irish people.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Faugheen wrote: »
    FYP

Trying to put words in another posters mouth with this FYP crap should be a cardable offence.

Trying to put words in another posters mouth with this FYP crap should be a cardable offence.

Why?

What's your definition of a "real Irish person"?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Do not bring the debate from Current Affairs into Feedback. There's enough of that in Current Affairs.

dudara

A yellow card for this blatant racism is just ridiculous. Surely ye want this site to have some kind of standard?
    10fathoms wrote: »
    A lovely race doing what they do best

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yes, it was 100% racist and he/she got warned for it.

It was their first mod action in that forum.
    If they do it again, red card.
    After that, ban.
    After that, longer ban, and so on.
    Build up enough punishments, they get 3 months probation.
    Any cards/bans anywhere on the site in that probationary period will result in a siteban.

It's a standard escalation of punishments. What do you want me to do? Jump straight to the end and siteban them?

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Yes, it was 100% racist and he/she got warned for it.

It was their first mod action in that forum.
    If they do it again, red card.
    After that, ban.
    After that, longer ban, and so on.
    Build up enough punishments, they get 3 months probation.
    Any cards/bans anywhere on the site in that probationary period will result in a siteban.

It's a standard escalation of punishments. What do you want me to do? Jump straight to the end and siteban them?

Recognize the difference between an inadvertent or minor breach of the charter and deliberate racism and hate speech. Escalation is important but so is recognizing severity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement