Advertisement
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Moderation of boards as a whole.

1457910

Comments



  • Kimsang wrote: »
    Should you get your wish to see them banned I'm interested what is your definition of hate speech and discriminatory statements? Who or what body gets to decide on these definitions and will context be taken into account?

    How would you re-write the charter to align with your beliefs?

    Mr Fresh and his Ninja edits run the place. Users like that are dictacting boards policy. It's ridiculous. We're told how to speak, how to think, logic, facts and open civil discussion have left the building.
    Boards was always be civil, play the ball and not the man, it gone way beyond that now to complete manipulation of threads. Your dealing with someone who thinks CNN is the beacon of free press (again more mod edits so I can't highlight it), the ridiculousness of some of his statments shouldn't be deleted, it was a discussion, made him look like an idiot but someone's obviously got his back.
    I find it shocking what's going on at the moment. I'm convinced some of these users are paid professionals here with an agenda to shut down free speech and influence users for political gain.




  • Mr Fresh and his Ninja edits run the place. Users like that are dictacting boards policy. It's ridiculous. We're told how to speak, how to think, logic, facts and open civil discussion have left the building.
    Boards was always be civil, play the ball and not the man, it gone way beyond that now to complete manipulation of threads. Your dealing with someone who thinks CNN is the beacon of free press (again more mod edits so I can't highlight it), the ridiculousness of some of his statments shouldn't be deleted, it was a discussion, made him look like an idiot but someone's obviously got his back.
    I find it shocking what's going on at the moment. I'm convinced some of these users are paid professionals here with an agenda to shut down free speech and influence users for political gain.

    This has been mentioned before especially with political threads. It has to be happening given the huge resources that some government agencies are investing in influencing.




  • Discodog wrote: »
    This has been mentioned before especially with political threads. It has to be happening given the huge resources that some government agencies are investing in influencing.

    Paid by whom?




  • Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Paid by whom?

    Well I am no conspiracy theorist but there does seem to be substantial evidence to suggest that countries like Russia are investing a lot in influencing opinion, elections & referenda.

    It would be naive to suggest that sites like Boards aren't included.




  • собака диско раскрыла нашу личность. Прервите товарищи и возьмите с собой картофельную водку


  • Advertisement


  • Discodog wrote: »
    Well I am no conspiracy theorist but there does seem to be substantial evidence to suggest that countries like Russia are investing a lot in influencing opinion, elections & referenda.

    It would be naive to suggest that sites like Boards aren't included.

    There’s a rash of accounts on two particular topics clearly stirring stuff up repeating each other’s point and all seem to appear and disappear at the same time, mainly when challenged on their posts. Only to then reappear simultaneously and derail the topics all over again. Currently enjoying a ban from that forum for pointing that out too.

    So I’d agree it’s definitely happening here too and white obviously in some cases.




  • Boom_Bap wrote: »
    собака диско раскрыла нашу личность. Прервите товарищи и возьмите с собой картофельную водку

    Amusing but, as many other posters have said, it's happening.




  • Discodog wrote: »
    Well I am no conspiracy theorist but ....

    Similar arguments have started with "I'm not a racist but..." or "I'm not homophobic but..." and we all know how that one ends. :o

    All joking aside, if you have suspicions about any users in particular, let us know (even by PM) and we will investigate.




  • Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Paid by whom?

    id have thought that every political party in the country has a few people running social media campaigns, and im sure a few boards accounts are maintained for pushing agendas.

    after that, i dunno. the construction lobby would surprise you if they havent considered it (but then again, when have they ever cared about public opinion). farmers are a big voice. the loopers anti-everything on the left. the loopers blaming immigrants for everything on the right.

    the only thing that would cause you not to be certain of it is that in ireland you really dont have to pay people to nitpick and argue over ridiculous opinions.

    Edit: the catholic hard-right, and quite obviously a glaring omission there.




  • Mr Fresh and his Ninja edits run the place. Users like that are dictacting boards policy. It's ridiculous. We're told how to speak, how to think, logic, facts and open civil discussion have left the building.
    Boards was always be civil, play the ball and not the man, it gone way beyond that now to complete manipulation of threads. Your dealing with someone who thinks CNN is the beacon of free press (again more mod edits so I can't highlight it), the ridiculousness of some of his statments shouldn't be deleted, it was a discussion, made him look like an idiot but someone's obviously got his back.
    I find it shocking what's going on at the moment. I'm convinced some of these users are paid professionals here with an agenda to shut down free speech and influence users for political gain.

    When has free speech ever been allowed on boards? They are not required to facilitate it. It’s never been a free-for-all.


  • Advertisement


  • When has free speech ever been allowed on boards? They are not required to facilitate it. It’s never been a free-for-all.

    It started getting shut down from around 2013 onwards I'd say but the last few years have been OTT, A minority or activists are dictacting and hovering over everything waiting for a chance to shout bigot.
    Mr Fresh above is a prime example of these type of users. We need mods to keep us civil not thought police reporting everything that they disagree with. People are entitled to the express an opinion. What's the boards tag line "Now your Talkin" well not any more it's '"Now your gagged".
    I had a post deleted this morning I presume as I mentioned a website where free speech is encouraged and I slated Google for controlling who can and can't send me an email in the sign up process to the website. I won't mention it's name but Twitter is loosing users to it for the exact same reason this thread even exists.
    The law of unintended consequences is happening, and it not a good thing driving moderate left, center and right wing people into the one safe place to discuss their views. The world would be a better place with a bit more honest discussion.




  • .
    I had a post deleted this morning I presume as I mentioned a website where free speech is encouraged and I slated Google for controlling who can and can't send me an email in the sign up process to the website.
    Your post was reported as off-topic. I agreed, as it had nothing to do with the underlying topic ("Lady can't have her hairy balls waxed"), and deleted it.

    That is not for further discussion here. Nor is the actions of any other specified posters. If you wish to discuss either further drop me a PM




  • Mr E wrote: »
    Similar arguments have started with "I'm not a racist but..." or "I'm not homophobic but..." and we all know how that one ends. :o

    All joking aside, if you have suspicions about any users in particular, let us know (even by PM) and we will investigate.

    Has to be via PM. Any suggestion on thread is an offence. Lots of posters were warned in the past.




  • Discodog wrote: »
    Has to be via PM. Any suggestion on thread is an offence. Lots of posters were warned in the past.
    By PM as opposed to by reporting. Of course trying to call it out on thread is unacceptable. I'm sure you would not like it if someone started calling you a Russian bot on-thread




  • Beasty wrote: »
    Your post was reported as off-topic. I agreed, as it had nothing to do with the underlying topic ("Lady can't have her hairy balls waxed"), and deleted it.

    It's completely related. That person has got people kicked off numerous social media sites and drove some popular ones to dissenter. Anyway I didn't present my point well so I'll leave it at that.

    Finally got into it anyway, free speech, people can tell others where to shove their opinion on any side of any debate on any website content. It is a bit one side though which takes the fun out of it. My point being above a lot of people are being shoved into the extremes for views that aren't all that radical.




  • Nosnon wrote: »
    One is in the politics forum and the other in CA. Politics has always been a higher standard.

    Politics is definitely an echo chamber though. I’d like to see trump removed from office but the trump thread is literally TDS all the live long day.
    Give it a rest.




  • Discodog wrote: »
    Amusing but, as many other posters have said, it's happening.

    The whole Russian thing is a moral panic. I doubt anybody outside Ireland cares about boards.




  • Politics is definitely an echo chamber though. I’d like to see trump removed from office but the trump thread is literally TDS all the live long day.
    Give it a rest.

    The politics forum has an auto-immune disease. Every person holding a contrary belief is jumped upon and attacked as a "Trump supporter" and many mods facilitate this.

    Then when the 'trump supporrter' receives some infraction for reducing themselves to the level of the those they are arguing with. I've seen it repeatedly, its a joke.




  • It started getting shut down from around 2013 onwards I'd say but the last few years have been OTT, A minority or activists are dictacting and hovering over everything waiting for a chance to shout bigot.
    Mr Fresh above is a prime example of these type of users. We need mods to keep us civil not thought police reporting everything that they disagree with. People are entitled to the express an opinion. What's the boards tag line "Now your Talkin" well not any more it's '"Now your gagged".
    I had a post deleted this morning I presume as I mentioned a website where free speech is encouraged and I slated Google for controlling who can and can't send me an email in the sign up process to the website. I won't mention it's name but Twitter is loosing users to it for the exact same reason this thread even exists.
    The law of unintended consequences is happening, and it not a good thing driving moderate left, center and right wing people into the one safe place to discuss their views. The world would be a better place with a bit more honest discussion.

    I see a wide range of opinions being expressed on boards. People seem to think criticising someone is shutting them down. Free speech also encompasses criticism of views. You’re entitled to express an opinion. Anyone can have an opinion on that opinion. And so on.

    And, again, boards doesn’t have to allow free speech as it’s a private entity.




  • The Brexit forum is one sided ok, but really it has to be, there isn't another side, especially for Ireland. One person has been asked, several times and quite clearly to offer one - just one - advantage to Brexit. He has not done so, but is still there waffling and offering opinions with no substance. Of course there is going to be a lot of anti-Brexit when he is typical of the posters. It would be a great relief to get one clear thinking person who could list actual advantages that could be sensibly discussed, rather than the sound bites that are thrown around.


  • Advertisement


  • And, again, boards doesn’t have to allow free speech as it’s a private entity.

    I guess it depends on what you mean by free speech.

    Even the most resolute defenders of free speech admit the limits on free speech are rooted in the principle that we're not allowed to harm others to get what we want. That's why we're not allowed to use speech for force, fraud, or defamation.

    It seems the ones that are suppressing opinion and attacking free speech are the ones that constantly lump it together with incitement to violence, slander, etc.




  • looksee wrote: »
    The Brexit forum is one sided ok, but really it has to be, there isn't another side, especially for Ireland. One person has been asked, several times and quite clearly to offer one - just one - advantage to Brexit. He has not done so, but is still there waffling and offering opinions with no substance. Of course there is going to be a lot of anti-Brexit when he is typical of the posters. It would be a great relief to get one clear thinking person who could list actual advantages that could be sensibly discussed, rather than the sound bites that are thrown around.

    This is the delusion syndrome some posters are referring to.

    I'm sure you'll say having more autonomy and control of one's border is not an advantage, but who are you to decide that?

    Half of the UK disagree with you. How can you say there isn't another side?




  • I think it would be helpful if we were all aware of Boards.ie's definition of racist/racism. Could someone please post it up.

    The reason I ask, is because the moderators of CA have allowed a boards member to be called a racist without proof. I want to know what definition of racist you use.

    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110492920&postcount=8

    This post(#8) called Stephen a racist. The moderator attached a note that Stephen's racism has been proven linking to another post from the future (#14) that proved his racism.

    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110493266&postcount=14

    Stephen said:
    If racist means loving your family and by extension to that your country and wanting to defend both as well the western way of life then I'm a racist and proud.

    This is clearly a tongue in cheek comment and has resulted in the word racist being thrown around willy nilly thanks to inconsistent moderation.

    If you call me a fascist because I support Trump, I could say "Well if fascist means supporting the US president, then call me a fascist"
    This is no way 'admits' that I'm a fascist but rather challenges your definition of fascism. To ignore context in this manner is willfully ignorant to the point of lacking integrity.

    Sort it out please....




  • Another post summed up my position better than I ever could so I'll throw that up about the use of the word racist.
    Whenever you see any conservative type try to apply the word "racist" to non-whites for being ethnocentric or having a preference for their own tribe, they just laugh it off. The word has no effect on them.

    When you understand this, you understand that "racist" is an ethnic pejorative that only applies to white people, usually for the crime of wanting to be left alone in a society untroubled by multiculturalism. It's basically the white equivalent of the word "n!gg3r."

    It follows that when you're being called "racist," you are in essence being called a "n!gg3r," and very often this name-calling comes from a member of your own race.

    (I should add that I don't encourage the use of either of the above dehumanising racial epithets.)




  • Some accounts are very obvious across many forums and threads using the same tactics. All relatively new. Few posts but The same tactics across topics. Deflect run away what about derail. And primarily using a copy paste argument demonstrably from google
    Wash rinse repeat. Always report them and no response. It’s a bit odd.




  • Posts relating to cancelling Eir moved to Broadband




  • Kimsang wrote: »
    I think it would be helpful if we were all aware of Boards.ie's definition of racist/racism. Could someone please post it up.

    The reason I ask, is because the moderators of CA have allowed a boards member to be called a racist without proof. I want to know what definition of racist you use.

    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110492920&postcount=8

    This post(#8) called Stephen a racist. The moderator attached a note that Stephen's racism has been proven linking to another post from the future (#14) that proved his racism.

    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110493266&postcount=14

    Stephen said:


    This is clearly a tongue in cheek comment and has resulted in the word racist being thrown around willy nilly thanks to inconsistent moderation.

    If you call me a fascist because I support Trump, I could say "Well if fascist means supporting the US president, then call me a fascist"
    This is no way 'admits' that I'm a fascist but rather challenges your definition of fascism. To ignore context in this manner is willfully ignorant to the point of lacking integrity.

    Sort it out please....

    Since this I have been thread-banned from Gemma thread for defending people's rights not to be called a racist without proof. I hope you're proud of yourselves guys. Enjoy your silence.




  • I dont believe that was the actual reason.....




  • it would seem redundant (and certainly unproductive) to state that the place is being actively modded to allow overt aggression and breach of numerous rules from many posters of an identifiable political bent but that those rules are strictly applied to posters more likely to be on the 'distasteful' side of opinion.

    the fact that the crew in the first grouping want the crew in the second grouping banned on sight is neither here nor there, regardless of how often it it offered by them as signs of bias against them


  • Advertisement


  • snoopsheep wrote: »
    those rules are strictly applied to posters more likely to be on the 'distasteful' side of opinion.

    Its unfortunate anyone with a distasteful opinion has grown to include anyone who
    • Is not completely open open borders
    • Might agree with Trump sometimes
    • Against PC Culture

    At least its plain as day for all to see now.


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement