Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On Accident vs By Accident

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

amcalester wrote: »
    should of would of could of

Those grate on my nerves more than any other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Accidentally.

I've never heard anybody say, on accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Accidentally.

I've never heard anybody say, on accident.

I seen someone say it once but they were embarrassed when they realised what they done.

tuxy wrote: »
    I seen someone say it once but they were embarrassed when they realised what they done.

Surely you heard someone say it? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

tuxy wrote: »

I. Must. Not. Reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

For all intensive purposes they mean the same thing.

I. Must. Not. Reply.

If you didn't reply how come I seen it, so typical that you done that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Standman wrote: »
    Just shows how language often isn't logical. There's no reason why "on purpose" should be ok while "on accident" isn't, other than everyone's got used to the former.

Same with the current "trend" in the British media for people to say "I was stood at the bus stop" or "I am sat here in the cinema" both of which grate on my ears as they are what's called 'non standard English' but yet have become widespread enough to virtually replace the standard English form of "sitting & standing".

I guess the same applies to "on accident" which may also become widespread, if enough people adopt it....

Same with the current "trend" in the British media for people to say "I was stood at the bus stop" or "I am sat here in the cinema" both of which grate on my ears as they are what's called 'non standard English' but yet have become widespread enough to virtually replace the standard English form of "sitting & standing".

I guess the same applies to "on accident" which may also become widespread, if enough people adopt it....

That's not a trend though, it's very old usage in the north of England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

It started as a Northern dialect, which has now spread down south to become the norm, even though it is non standard English .....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

mike_ie wrote: »
    From one of the school books over here:

MPVYS2bl.png

WTF is 'healthful'?

it's one of those older ones, iirc
    google shows:

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/healthy-or-healthful

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Autecher wrote: »
    It's an American thing. "I didn't do it on purpose, I did it on accident".

My 4 year old says this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

colm_mcm wrote: »
    My 4 year old says this

If my kid came saying that I’d think he did a number on some poor unfortunate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

- I didn't say nothing.

>< ffs!!!

Also the written mix-ups:

- taught and thought
    - their and there ( and they're )

><

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I did it by purpose
    I did it on accident.

I did it on purpose
    I did it by accident.

They got it ars*ways.

They don't know what ars*ways means.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I did it by purpose
    I did it on accident.

I did it on purpose
    I did it by accident.

They got it ars*ways.

They don't know what ars*ways means.

THEY DID THIS BY PURPOSE! :mad:

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I d̶i̶d̶ done it by purpose
    I d̶i̶d̶ done it on accident.

I d̶i̶d̶ done it on purpose
    I d̶i̶d̶ done it by accident.

Sorry to be a grammar nazi but I had to fix this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

On route

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Why is this happening?

Perhaps because primary school teachers use some of the worst grammar I've ever come across. I used to scold my children for their bad grammar and thought they were picking it up from other children but they constantly told me that the teachers said it like that. After a few years I realised they were right. Over time I heard the teachers say things like "I done that" or "He brung it in" plus the deese, dat, dem and does. If you've been trained to teach a language then pronunciation and grammar counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

People using "Loose" instead of "Lose" drives me mad, Boards is infested with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

PARlance wrote: »
    On route

I was on route to the event but had to turn back because I left my tablet behind on accident. I could care less because the event started late anyway and didn't loose out on anything

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Perhaps because primary school teachers use some of the worst grammar I've ever come across. I used to scold my children for their bad grammar and thought they were picking it up from other children but they constantly told me that the teachers said it like that. After a few years I realised they were right. Over time I heard the teachers say things like "I done that" or "He brung it in" plus the deese, dat, dem and does. If you've been trained to teach a language then pronunciation and grammar counts.

Having correct grammar should be a requirement for graduating and getting a teaching qualification. It doesn't matter how much you understanding maths, geography etc. If you are teaching a class of 30 kids they will pickup your bad grammar.

If an existing teacher was speaking like this to a class i would consider it a disciplinable offence and something the teacher needed to fix. Just as if they were teaching the incorrect capital city of a country.

Being able to speak properly has a massive impact on future earning potential of any employee.

Im not perfectly by any means, but ive got the basics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

is_that_so wrote: »
    First abomination comes from American English usage, like on the weekend and thankfully not frequent. The 2nd one would be accepted as being most correct.

Americans don’t say “on accident”. Not regularly anyway. I’ve never heard any American say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Im not perfectly by any means, but ive got the basics.

*I'm *perfect *I've

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Penfailed wrote: »
    That's creeping in over here. So is, "I was sat..." instead of, "I was sitting..."

British people are the worst for that, not Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

But that's what they're thought in collage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Ax me!

Say that again and I'll probably feel like doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Penfailed wrote: »
    *I'm *perfect *I've

You know what they say. You will always make a mistake yourself when correcting someones grammar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

You know what they say. You will always make a mistake yourself when correcting someone's grammar.

FTFY ;-)

Advertisement