Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever met someone you hoped never to see again?

Options
  • 09-07-2019 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Moved in to where I am living just over a year ago. The house next door went up for sale and new people moved in a few weeks ago. I thought I recognised the guy but wasn't sure. Turned out I did know him alright from a bad time I had a few years ago. He is a Garda who arrested me and brought me to court so it is a bit awkward to say the least.

When they moved in my gf invited his partner to a BBQ we were having at the weekend and she said yes but then pulled out eventhough they were at home that night. I haven't had a proper conversation with him yet. Maube I am being paranoid but I am sure I saw him checking my car for tax and insurance the other morning when he was taking his dog for a walk. Just feels awkward him being so close (we even have a shared driveway) due to what happened in the past.

Anyway just wondered if anybody else has been in a situation where they came across somebody from their past who they didn't expect to see and probably hoped to never see again and how it all worked out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Can you imagine how he feels though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

How many lines have I got......

• Registered Users Posts: 25,418 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

My ex

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Yes.

An old school counselor. People I went to school with.

People from awkward situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Nope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,831 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d fûcking forget how he feels. If he was sticking his nose in the
    OPs windows looking for tax and insurance, unsat behavior. That’s not going to build much trust or cordiality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Even though it's only Tuesday yours is post of the week OP.

It does seem like an extreme case of someone you don't want to meet ever again.

Maybe the same goes for him OP?

You never said what you were arrested for. No need to really.
    In general I'd imagine the gardai meet all sorts of people they'd never like to deal with.

There'd be a few morning after the night before episodes that I'd be happy never to meet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

I feel like the best thing you could do is just address it, whether in person just talking to him or writing him a letter. Acknowledge what happened, you said it was a bad time you had a few years ago, why not say that (I assume you're having better times now/have changed)?

He was doing his job, he didn't really have a choice in it all and I doubt he gets joy from having to do those kinds of things. You didn't mention whether you owned your house or not, but it looks like you're stuck beside him at least in the short term, why not try and build a bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Strumms wrote: »
    OPs windows looking for tax and insurance, unsat behavior. That’s not going to build much trust or cordiality.

Too serious there strumms. A policeman’s work is never done.

Imagine this poor police sap at work:

“What’s it all about lads. Work me arse off catching the criminals and end up living beside ‘em”.

** shakes head sadly ***

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Strumms wrote: »

The OP said he thinks the new neighbour was checking out his disks, thinks.

Trust?

You don't know what the neighbour was doing and now you have him planting drugs on the OP!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

What was the arrest for? There's no good reason to be arrested but there are some really bad ones. What end of the scale is this?

Exes. Any exes. There's not even many but I hate seeing.l them

Conor84 wrote: »
    Moved in to where I am living just over a year ago. The house next door went up for sale and new people moved in a few weeks ago. I thought I recognised the guy but wasn't sure. Turned out I did know him alright from a bad time I had a few years ago. He is a Garda who arrested me and brought me to court so it is a bit awkward to say the least.

When they moved in my gf invited his partner to a BBQ we were having at the weekend and she said yes but then pulled out eventhough they were at home that night. I haven't had a proper conversation with him yet. Maube I am being paranoid but I am sure I saw him checking my car for tax and insurance the other morning when he was taking his dog for a walk. Just feels awkward him being so close (we even have a shared driveway) due to what happened in the past.

Anyway just wondered if anybody else has been in a situation where they came across somebody from their past who they didn't expect to see and probably hoped to never see again and how it all worked out?

Nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Hey, I was doing just fine just before I met you
    I drank too much and that's an issue but I'm okay
    Hey, you tell your friends it was nice to meet them
    But I hope I never see them again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,626 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just a few of my former teachers from school all them years ago. Talk about awkward. I suppose it would not be so bad if you were a going out person (I am not) and seen them around a bit but when its 20 odd years and your an adult now then see the teacher that used to teach you History(was a sound teacher) or English ( was a bit of a crazy teacher) yes that can be awkward.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Generally anyone i haven't seen in a while it's awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Imagine this poor police sap at work:

“What’s it all about lads. Work me arse off catching the criminals and end up living beside ‘em”.

** shakes head sadly ***

If the Garda was any good, he would have checked out his new neighbours before committing to buying the house, especially if he's sharing a driveway with them. Isn't that what their resources are to be (mis)used for?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yea, he was probably hoping for a good neighbourhood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dublinandy2

Unless you’re a notorious criminal he probably doesn’t remember you. To you it was a huge event, to him it was just another day at work. Unless it was super unusual.

He was probably checking your discs because that’s his personality, he wouldn’t be Garda otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

My ex

She said the same about you.

Abba987 wrote: »
    What was the arrest for?

2nd person to ask this. The thread is about awkward meetings, the OP told his story. How about you mind your own Fkng business about what the arrest was for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I got a taxi home from the airport last year, and the driver was a complete pain in the hole. Shíttin’ on about ‘Man U’, the Dublin football team, the price of drink in Dublin, the best place to get an all-you-can-get Chinese buffet, culchies etc. Longest 15 minutes of my life.

Got out of the car and prayed that I never met the prick again.

Back in the airport about a month ago. Late flight back in. Had a feed of pints in Luton Airport and was keen to get home to my leaba. Hopped into the taxi. Who was driving it only the fat fûcker. ‘Howya Bud, ‘tis you again’.

Jesus Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭corner of hells

2nd person to ask this. The thread is about awkward meetings, the OP told his story. How about you mind your own Fkng business about what the arrest was for?

You're the Garda ,aren't ya ?
    And ya arrested him after he was caught robbing daffodils from the flower pots outside your station and the lads who work with you keep reminding you of the time you arrested a master criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

imme wrote: »
    Even though it's only Tuesday yours is post of the week OP.

It does seem like an extreme case of someone you don't want to meet ever again.

Maybe the same goes for him OP?

You never said what you were arrested for. No need to really.
    In general I'd imagine the gardai meet all sorts of people they'd never like to deal with.

There'd be a few morning after the night before episodes that I'd be happy never to meet again.

Yeah my gf said the same thing that if he knew me it was probably as awkward for him too. I didn't recognise him straight away bur knew I knew him. The odds of it happening are pretty rare - should be doing the Lotto i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Conor84 wrote: »
    Yeah my gf said the same thing that if he knew me it was probably as awkward for him too. I didn't recognise him straight away bur knew I knew him. The odds of it happening are pretty rare - should be doing the Lotto i suppose

If you are unlucky enough to have your arresting Garda as a neighbour then I wouldn’t bother doing the Lotto if I were you.

In all seriousness, you should probably address it at some stage.

You live there, you shouldn’t feel uncomfortable in your own home.

I feel like the best thing you could do is just address it, whether in person just talking to him or writing him a letter. Acknowledge what happened, you said it was a bad time you had a few years ago, why not say that (I assume you're having better times now/have changed)?

He was doing his job, he didn't really have a choice in it all and I doubt he gets joy from having to do those kinds of things. You didn't mention whether you owned your house or not, but it looks like you're stuck beside him at least in the short term, why not try and build a bridge.

Yeah I know I should do something. I thought by asking them to the Bar BQ it might have been the right time to have a bit of a chat but then they bailed on that.

Yeah things are good now. other neighbours here don't know about me being in trouble before and would prefer them not to now. He bought the house but we are renting and really happy here/ My gf has a 6 year old son and he goes to school close by. The guard has a son about the same age so we thought iy would be great to have a friend his own age next door but it hasn't really happened obviously. Don't know but they might be going to the same school in September.

I know he was only doing his job and in fairness i was treated all right all considering. It was an assault and I ended up in hospital too before getting interviewed and he was there "guarding" me all that time so I am sure he would remember me and with the interviews and court.

You're the Garda ,aren't ya ?
    And ya arrested him after he was caught robbing daffodils from the flower pots outside your station and the lads who work with you keep reminding you of the time you arrested a master criminal.

They were geranuims! And that Baaasterd judge let him off with a caution. What could I do but track him down, find out where he lives and move in beside him. I'll get him for something some day. Justice has to be served. They were Geraniums!!

AMKC wrote: »
    Just a few of my former teachers from school all them years ago. Talk about awkward. I suppose it would not be so bad if you were a going out person (I am not) and seen them around a bit but when its 20 odd years and your an adult now then see the teacher that used to teach you History(was a sound teacher) or English ( was a bit of a crazy teacher) yes that can be awkward.

Remember going back for a school Anniversary about 10 years after leaving, Was a bit awkward at first seeing the teachers after 10 years especially the few I didn't like, But felt on the same level then apart from the fact they were older now and I was an adult. Felt strange having a pint with the though and then having a cigarette outside with my old Geogoraphy teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Have you considered sneaking into his house at night and gently wedging your thumb up his hole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Nothing too serious, such as the OPs situation.

There was a fella from school who I always thought was an imbecile.
    In school, I never had too many interactions with him but the few I had, always gave me the impression that he was a clown.
    I had not seen him for years until this past Christmas.
    One evening, he was walking up ahead of me and happened to look back and spot me.
    He hadn't changed a bit, still a big wide-faced donkey with remarkable and unfortunately proportioned features.
    He would walk a bit, stop and look back, give his best attempt at grinning and then keep walking.
    He did this a few times.
    Dispassionately, I watched him, feeling somewhat sad and slightly annoyed at his current existence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Don’t worry about it, OP.

It’s a while ago, and as long as it was a once off you’ll be grand. Regarding the tax thing, it’s not uncommon for people to check car tax; I have a few friends who do it all the time out of curiosity over the size of the engine in a car. As a guard he’d know if it’s in date by the colour of the disc so he wouldn’t need to inspect it.

You’ll get chatting properly eventually, you’ll be okay once he realizes you’ve grown up.

Advertisement