Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Observations of Glastonbury 2019

Options
  • 09-07-2019 2:03am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I can’t sleep a wink tonight and decided to go into the living room for a while and watch some telly.:o

I flicked through the channels and on comes Glastonbury. A few observations:

Why is Kylie one of the headline acts? Isn’t Glastonbury supposed to be about rock music? Don’t get me wrong...I love rock music - especially 1990s grunge and classic rock and a bit of 2000s era Kylie is isn’t bad at all but Kylie is pop music. Surely Kylie has a place at Glastonbury but not as a headline act?

The Cure are are as great as ever. Really sad that I missed getting tickets to their recent gig in Malahide.

The audience at Glastonbury don’t seem as young as they used to be. In fact, many of them seem to be be as old as me or older. :eek: And why not? More power to them!

Anyone here actually been to Glastonbury? What was it like? How does it compare to, say, Electric Picnic, Felie or Witness?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Kylie was in the legends slot, not a headliner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

all the young people are listening to crap music

There's a Legends slot on the Pyramids stage, so that's when the 'classic' acts are wheeled out. Dolly Parton, Lionel Richie, Shirley Bassey and of course Kylie, have all been Legends. Very popular slot in the festival.

Glasto isn't just big, it's absolutely gigantic.

I dunno, there's a sort of hipster "look at me, I'm so cool I listen to stuff that's not cool" vibe to it, you know? Actually didn't Cliff Richard headline one one those same rock festivals about 1982 or 83-ish? Maybe not Glastonbury, might have been Reading.

I always hated them btw. No matter how into a band you really are there's always at least 10,000 people either going for a p1ss or going for a burger in the middle of the other 70,000 people while they're on stage. Could be The Rolling Stones, could be your mate's garage band, you're still gonna be elbowed out of it by some shouty drunk who wants a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

What is it that elevates Glastonbury and Coachella in the states above all other music festivals, there’s loads on every year that basically have the same or similar enough lineup and the above mentioned cost an absolute fortune in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

all the young people are listening to crap music

That's been said since forever and will be said in the next generation too about today's youth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Omackeral wrote: »
    That's been said since forever and will be said in the next generation too about today's youth.

They are also listening to different music. Different to each other. Tailored Spotify playlists. Which is great in one way. But no communal totp or top 30 hits experiences. No battle of britpop cultural events.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,045 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

There's always been a certain retro element to Glastonbury and the lineup can't be said to lack variety, that's for sure.

As for what elevates the festivals - it's the text that it's not just a music festival. There's a lot of other types of art at Glastonbury as well - is not just music

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I dunno, there's a sort of hipster "look at me, I'm so cool I listen to stuff that's not cool" vibe to it, you know? Actually didn't Cliff Richard headline one one those same rock festivals about 1982 or 83-ish? Maybe not Glastonbury, might have been Reading.

I always hated them btw. No matter how into a band you really are there's always at least 10,000 people either going for a p1ss or going for a burger in the middle of the other 70,000 people while they're on stage. Could be The Rolling Stones, could be your mate's garage band, you're still gonna be elbowed out of it by some shouty drunk who wants a fight.

I been to Glasto & Electric Picnic several times. I have never had a bad experience or met anyone shouty or aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I liked this

am going through a bit of a UK rapper buzz at the moment, all started by this fella

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Why is Kylie one of the headline acts? Isn’t Glastonbury supposed to be about rock music?

Kylie, Lauren Hill, Miley Cyrus, Janet Jackson, Hozier, Sigrid, Stormzy, Janelle Monae, Christine and the Queens, Tame Bloody Impala etc.

Glastonbury is not about rock music anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Kylie, Lauren Hill, Miley Cyrus, Janet Jackson, Hozier, Sigrid, Stormzy, Janelle Monae, Christine and the Queens, Tame Bloody Impala etc.

Glastonbury is not about rock music anymore.

Rock music in general isn't as popular at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

So I can’t sleep a wink tonight and decided to go into the living room for a while and watch some telly.:o

Anyone here actually been to Glastonbury? What was it like? How does it compare to, say, Electric Picnic, Felie or Witness?

Comparing Glastonbury to Electric Picnic, Felie or Witness would be like comparing London to Dublin or Cork!

Glastonbury is massive, (on an industrial scale) while the events you quote (Electric Picnic, Felie & Witness) are "Boutique" festivals & tiny by comparison. So many stages @Glasto, and so many different groups and followers at different stages, so while all the fifty year olds are at the pyramid stage watching Kylie, all the twenty year olds are elsewhere!

I heard Emily Evis being interviewed, and their farm + surrounding farms are transformed into a medium sized city for three days & nights, Glastonbury is massive in more ways than one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

in fairness, Oxygen/Witness had in the region of 60/70 thousand people at it, so hardly boutique

and that was 10-15 years ago, so not small

Glasto was probably twice that size back then

Not sure of the appeal of these things, with all the non fans the buzz just isnt the same and you end up looking at tiny figures on stage at distance

it's misery by day 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I flicked through the channels and on comes Glastonbury. A few observations:

Why is Kylie one of the headline acts? Isn’t Glastonbury supposed to be about rock music? Don’t get me wrong...I love rock music - especially 1990s grunge and classic rock and a bit of 2000s era Kylie is isn’t bad at all but Kylie is pop music. Surely Kylie has a place at Glastonbury but not as a headline act?

The Cure are are as great as ever. Really sad that I missed getting tickets to their recent gig in Malahide.

The audience at Glastonbury don’t seem as young as they used to be. In fact, many of them seem to be be as old as me or older. :eek: And why not? More power to them!

I have been to Glastonbury 9 of the last 11 times. To answer some of your questions:

Glastonbury is NOT a rock festival. Glastonbury is a music and arts festival. I know you are just asking the question and not complaining but every year there are complaints about certain acts. You have that moron a few years ago on about Kanye West. Before that the uproar about Jay-Z.

Glastonbury has, for the last 20 years or so, catered to FAR more that traditional rock and is all the better for it.

Especially the Legends set: Kylie (Not my thing, didn't go but knew she would do VERY well. Fair play to her), Dolly Parton, Tom Jones, Lional Richie, Rolf Harris for God's sake (Although I bet they want to forget that). Cliff Richard, as was said.

Again, I know you are not complaining and this is NOT aimed at you but the people who always complain about the lineup not being rock are people who have never been and are ignorant about Glastonbury. They see the 8 or 9 acts that the BBC show: Typically the Other Stage Headlines and The Pyramid last 2 acts on each day. Something from The Park and the John Peel tent. But that's it. It is AMAZING the diversity of the music there.

The age range at Glastonbury? :) Where to start: Seven weeks to seventy-seven years. The age range is VERY wide. It all depends on the acts that are on. Your typical Stormzy audience is going to be very different from your Cure audience. I have not noticed the age range changing other than the depressing fact that I am sliding higher up that age scale. Hah. But the age range is brilliantly wide. As long as you have an open mind (And can handle an open mind...... and the whole size and camping thing) then you are welcome.

As for:

No offence intended but this is actually almost 100% incorrect. Glasto is NOT Oxegen or even the picnic.

I was at Lional Richie (He was brilliantly cheezy fun) and there was a bunch of teenagers in front. Very hipster-looking. Obviously WAY too young for him. I asked them "Why are you here?" And they gave the best answer "Cos it's the legends slot, he's brilliant, the sun is out and we wanna have fun" And by God they did. They knew EVERY word of every song. Plus, you got to remember: There is a difference between headlining and headlining the Legends set. Legends set is usually the up-beat optimistic and fun set to drag you out of your tent, hungover and stinky and get you on your feet again.

Shouty drunken fights at Glastonbury?......... Just no. I have NEVER seen a single fight there. Arguments very occasionally but a drunken Oxegen-style fight? Not. Once!

So, tldr: Remember this for next year: Glasto is NOT a rock festival. It is a music and arts festival and anyone big enough to be there has a place there.

...... And it's not Oxegen.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

OP, do you watch Glastonbury any other years? Over 200,000 attendance this year, over 2,500 acts. Glastonbury is not just big, it's massive on an almost City scale.

As for Kylie, she was on in the Legend Slot on the Sunday afternoon, same slot has been played by Johnny Cash, Lionel Richie, and Stevie Wonder. Granted she was not great, but there was plenty of other acts on, at the same time, on other stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,924 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I was at Glastonbury in 1999, 2000 and 2003. Absolutely amazing experiencing. You could spend the whole weekend there and not visit the two main stages at all, and still have the best time ever. I guess if you haven't been, or have only been to smaller festivals, you'd be forgiven for complaining that such-and-such is playing - as if they're taking up a valuable slot that someone more worthwhile could have, but Glastonbury is completely different, and if you'd been you'd understand that it makes no sense to even care who's on the lineup. There's so much going on (not just music) that it's just impossible to take it all in. While I like the BBC coverage, it in no way does the event justice. You just can't convey the feeling of 200,000 people on a farm for 3/4/5 days surrounded by thousands of performances of every type.

I used to go to Féile before (in Tipp an Cork) - you'd spend half your time dodging scumbags and hoping that your tent was still there when you got back in the evening (1994, we came back to a pristine patch of grass in an otherwise field of mud - some toerag had just randomly grabbed it walking past and dragged it 500 meters away. 1995 in Cork, we came across three local 12 year olds with big black bin bags that were casually cleaning out all the tents they could). I never once saw any trouble at Glastonbury.

Looking forward to when my kids are just a bit older to bring them over to it. That's another amazing thing about Glasto: You can have off-their-head 18 year olds abusing the freedom of their first weekend away, middle aged families with kids and empty-nesters reclaiming their freedom all at the same event, and each of them having an amazing time in their own (different) way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Discodog wrote: »
    I been to Glasto & Electric Picnic several times. I have never had a bad experience or met anyone shouty or aggressive.

Both events are impeccably middle class, especially Glastonbury which was hipster thirty years before the term was coined

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Glastonbury has never been a rock festival more a performing arts one. There are long running rock festivals with Monsters of Rock/Download being the biggest in the UK.
    What is it that elevates Glastonbury and Coachella in the states above all other music festivals, there’s loads on every year that basically have the same or similar enough lineup and the above mentioned cost an absolute fortune in comparison.

Glastonbury because of its longevity and legacy, Coachella for it's celebrity endorsements

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

The crowds are Very White and Middle / Upper Class . Don’t tickets cost £275 . Is this too keep the rif-raf out .

All seems slightly Racist really .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I went once not a wink of sleep for 4 nights and took drugs like ket and 2cb that id never even heard of on top of everything else. It's truly amazing in size. I barely went near the main stages there are so many acts to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

blinding wrote: »
    The crowds are Very White and Middle / Upper Class . Don’t tickets cost £275 . Is this too keep the rif-raf out .

Why? Because Black, Asian or other groups can't afford tickets?

Wow

Why? Because Black, Asian or other groups can't afford tickets?

Wow
    Have you ever looked at the audience . Looks like a Klu Klux Klan meeting .

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

Racist is a bit strong. Elitist maybe but if you want to see lots of the best acts on the planet in a single weekend that won't come cheap.

Think of the ticket price in this way: a seated ticket to see Stevie Wonder on his own in the 3 Arena was 160 euro. The Glasto ticket doesn't seem so expensive now eh?

pjdarcy wrote: »
    Racist is a bit strong. Elitist maybe but if you want to see lots of the best acts on the planet in a single weekend that won't come cheap.

Think of the ticket price in this way: a seated ticket to see Stevie Wonder on his own in the 3 Arena was 160 euro. The Glasto ticket doesn't seem so expensive now eh?
    Certainly keeping the lower classes out at those prices:eek:

Why is this sort of thing such an elitist thing .

If John Snow ( channel 4) remarked on a Glastonbury Crowd he would have to say , that he never had seen so many white folk together at one time .

It goes to show that you can segregate society by money if you so please .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Have you ever seen the crowd at a Stevie Wonder gig?? It's like a Klan rally!

Autecher wrote: »
    Have you ever seen the crowd at a Stevie Wonder gig?? It's like a Klan rally!
    Just as well Stevie can’t see them ( or can he ) . He’d probably think he was at a Klan Meeting if he could see the members .

Its interesting how you can excuse people through financial means .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The biggest problem for Glasto is finding headliners. There are few acts big enough & they won't get paid much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Just as well Stevie can’t see them ( or can he ) . He’d probably think he was at a Klan Meeting if he could see the members .

Its interesting how you can excuse people through financial means .

Black people don't like camping

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2010/jul/09/black-people-camp-holidays

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Presume Blinding is taking the piss (presume).

£275 for three days and the costs of putting that massive festival together, is good value.

Advertisement