Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super XV Rugby 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Enzokk

So in the 4 years since the previous World Cup the finalists have been from the South African Conference and New Zealand. No Australian finalist in the 4 years and no team really close either.

As for the Jaguares, I am glad they made the final. They deserve to be there, they have improved year on year and this is just further progression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Some match this, from 13-12 at half-time, it is now 27-26, 18 minutes to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,720 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

What a game this is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Game certainly living up to its expectation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Good game, Hurricanes just a little too frantic at the end. They could have used some northern hemisphere patience there.

The ruck is a complete mess. No penalties for side entry and the Hurricanes especially were sealing off every single ruck.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,833 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Cracking game.....

Come on the hags in the final!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Delighted for Jaguares - final may be a step to far - but great season by them

Bookies have the crusaders -14 for the final.

I really hope the jaguares are better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,942 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd be pretty confident they are. I have this down as a scratch, so Crusaders probably 2.5pt favourites as the home team. Bonilla is a phenomenal player, they have a lot of great players right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Crusaders v Hurricanes was a cracking game. Really enjoyed it. And what a performance by the Hags!! Normally I would go for an NZ team over anyone else but I can honestly say, I wouldn't mind if the Hags won it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

troyzer wrote: »

Good game, Hurricanes just a little too frantic at the end. They could have used some northern hemisphere patience there.

A real shame that the ref missed the last moment deliberate knock-on by Whitelock. If he had penalised him, we could have had a fantastic finish. :(

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Crusaders v Hurricanes was a cracking game. Really enjoyed it. And what a performance by the Hags!! Normally I would go for an NZ team over anyone else but I can honestly say, I wouldn't mind if the Hags won it.

What pleased me most about the Jags this season is that they performed so well without Sanchez who was such an important player for them last season.

Looks as though the Pumas are peaking for the RWC, as is their tradition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Finlay Christie signed with the Blues, just when you thought maybe the blues were gonna break out the checkbook and make some good signings...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Finlay Christie signed with the Blues, just when you thought maybe the blues were gonna break out the checkbook and make some good signings...

Who?

Edit: I actually did my own research. I saw him play a few ttimes for the Canes this year. Not bad and should be alright as a back up.

What pleased me most about the Jags this season is that they performed so well without Sanchez who was such an important player for them last season.
    Yeah and I think Sanchez will lose his spot with the Pumas to Bonilla.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah and I think Sanchez will lose his spot with the Pumas to Bonilla.

While i agree that Bonilla is playing fantastic rugby, im not so sure at this stage so close to the RWC that Ledesma is going to drop the Pumas record scorer for a guy who has one international cap. (remember, they both are actually the same age !)

It will be interesting to see who gets the nod in the Puma v Australia game as i think thats the game where we'll see who is the favourite for the 10 jersey in the RWC.

I get what you are saying and Sanchez is a wonderful player but Bonilla is completely controlling games right now. His performances this season have been nothing short of outstanding.
    Bonilla was playing club rugby in Argentina up until last year when he was drafted into the Jaguares set up. I don't think anybody expected to see this level of performance from him at any stage.
    I think they could beat Crusaders and it'll be because of Bonilla if it does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

Crotty and Barrett both injured and will miss final. Big blow for Crusaders

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

Crotty and Barrett both injured and will miss final. Big blow for Crusaders

Big blow but they should have the depth to cover the losses. Crotty is a defensive general but the young talent in the Crusaders backs is quite phenomenal right now. Barrett should be able to be covered - Whitelock and Romano are stalwarts, not sure about their non AB 2nd rowers but they probably aren't massive steps down in quality.

James O'Connor signed with the Reds. Wonder will he look at playing 10? I think Stewart is better suited to centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Living in Germany, if someone has a link for the Super rugby could they please pm me.

Well lads and ladies, how do we see this one going? A procession for the crusaders, or a peaking of the hags?

So many unknowns... It's weird to have a final where the two teams haven't met in the regular season. How will the hags fare outside of Argentina? Will the travel take its toll?

How much will the crusaders miss Crotty in midfield and scotty in the tight?

Will reece or Moroni be the star?

Bookies have 13 between them, I think it will be closer....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Lots of handling errors so far

Crusaders are dominant as expected, but the conditions and the jaguares line speed are killing them with handling errors.

This is going to be a hell of a lot closer than what the bookies predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Watching in a bar in Koh Samui- tough life...

Margins quite tight in this one. Jaguares could be ahead but you have to credit the Crusaders scramble defence

Matera is having a cracker. Involved in everything. Would love a player like that in the Irish back row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,720 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Surely Mo'unga 10 and Barrett 15 is a no brainer for New Zealand

Comfortable enough for Crusaders in the end. Argentina won't be f**king around in this world cup, Jaguars look decent if a bit limited in the forwards.

I do wonder if the later finishing season helps or hinders Southern Hemisphere teams.

• Advertisement

Crusaders were brilliant. Jaguares put up a good fight for a long time.
    It was a new experience for most of the Argentinians and it'll stand them in good stead come the World Cup.
    Big difference was experience.
    Crusaders are the best club rugby side in World Rugby I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Despite the margin, the Jags could have won that had they not butchered a couple of certain tries and also tidied up their kicking game. Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

A lot closer than the scoreline would suggest!

For the Jags to win they would have needed to be at home, pity - would a neutral venue not be fairer for final - suppose its to do with crowds, and they havnt been great from what i have seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

thebaz wrote: »
    For the Jags to win they would have needed to be at home, pity - would a neutral venue not be fairer for final - suppose its to do with crowds, and they havnt been great from what i have seen.

They wouldn't come close to selling out a neutral venue.

Maybe neutral venue in home country for the highest seed, though that would obviously just be a home final for Jaguares.

Squatter wrote:
    Is ROG still doing the Crusaders' laundry or has he moved on to driving the team bus this season?
    He is finished with Crusaders after today and is full time in his new role as head coach of La Rochelle.
    Looking forward to seeing how he does there and how much his time in New Zealand influences his coaching style.

• Advertisement

One other thing about the game today. The lineouts and scrums were great, no messing about and little time lost over them. It was refreshing to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Surely Robertson is given the ABs job now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Matera was outstanding, best player on the pitch imo. Shame that the Jaguares butchered all their try chances, they were well capable of winning that game. A dry night would've made a world of difference.

Interestingly the Jaguares/Pumas will have to play the non-Crusader ABs in 2 weeks, as the Crusader players will be rested.

Would be interesting to see other countries minus their top clubs players e.g. England without Saracens players and Ireland without Leinster players.
    Surely Robertson is given the ABs job now?

I have no clue what stage they are in their decision making process but I'd assume whatever happens in the RWC will have a big effect. If the ABs do the threepeat then Foster may be given the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,810 ✭✭✭✭bilston

hahashake wrote: »
    Interestingly the Jaguares/Pumas will have to play the non-Crusader ABs in 2 weeks, as the Crusader players will be rested.

Would be interesting to see other countries minus their top clubs players e.g. England without Saracens players and Ireland without Leinster players.

I have no clue what stage they are in their decision making process but I'd assume whatever happens in the RWC will have a big effect. If the ABs do the threepeat then Foster may be given the job.

Must be a real chance for Argentina to make a bit of history in that game.

• Advertisement

They won't win the WC but see Argentina having another good tournament , maybe a final - they play such an attractive rugby , like the French of old, and the French now play like the Pumas of old , dreadful stuff.

thebaz wrote:
    They won't win the WC but see Argentina having another good tournament , maybe a final - they play such an attractive rugby , like the French of old, and the French now play like the Pumas of old , dreadful stuff.
    I wouldn't rule it out. They have ayed together all season and there's a lot to be said for that. Only Sanchez hasn't been there and tbh I think he'll be second string to Bonilla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,810 ✭✭✭✭bilston

thebaz wrote: »

They should finish ahead of France in their pool, the England game will be very tight as well. Either way I think that means Argentina would play either Wales or Australia in the Quarter Finals. It would be a very brave man to call any of those games at the moment.

bilston wrote: »
    They should finish ahead of France in their pool, the England game will be very tight as well. Either way I think that means Argentina would play either Wales or Australia in the Quarter Finals. It would be a very brave man to call any of those games at the moment.

They really are in a tough group - between them and France I'd say - hopefully they get through and decent rugby is the winner - We really did get the softest group, the quaters are where we really will be tested , unless we implode against Scotland

I wouldn't rule it out. They have ayed together all season and there's a lot to be said for that. Only Sanchez hasn't been there and tbh I think he'll be second string to Bonilla.

Not sure about Sanchez's current form but he is an international veteran and in a tight world cup game, that experience could be the difference.

Scott Robinson is the first person ever to win 3 super rugby titles as both player and coach

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Scott Robinson is the first person ever to win 3 super rugby titles as both player and coach

Scott Robertson must be pissed he is only the second person.;)

Lol...

I was at a wedding yesterday, a bit delicate today :D

Bonilla's tactical kicking was dire yesterday. Virtually every kick went straight down the throat of a Crusaders defender.

Supposedly Beauden Barrett to the Blues for 4 years, albeit with a season in Japan in 2021. Other rumour is Jordie Barrett to the Crusaders.

Good news for Blues fans as they haven't had a world class 10 since Carlos Spencer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement