Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super XV Rugby 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

sydthebeat wrote: »
    well done to the blues this morning.... ended a 20 game streak of no wins against NZ sides by beating the highlanders 33 - 26

some great tries scored by the blues

Naholos playing like a drain

YYYEEEEESSSSS!!!!!!! The Blues are back. Suck it Syd!!!

They're going to win it all this year!!! :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,949 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You do realise that just because something doesn't affect you, doesn't mean that it isn't offensive to somebody else for personal reasons.
    Yes we do realise that.
    What you're saying is because you've no reason to be offended by something, nobody else should be regardless of their scenario.
    No, I'm sayng that it's not important. It's an American firm making a mistake. It's not like they set out to offend people so anybody getting offended is an idiot.
    I can tell you for a fact if you were to "laugh in their face" to any of my family members, who's grandparents or even mother and father were beaten and tortured by British army veterans parading around as members of the RIC, you wouldn't be laughing for long.
    My father's family came from the border and had plenty of experience of being badly treated. My grandfather was well involved in the old IRA in the early part of the last century.
    I'm not some young, uncaring person who has no clue about what people went through.
    This was a very minor thing because it was a gaff made by a big American company. It's to be laughed about not taken seriously.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,838 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    YYYEEEEESSSSS!!!!!!! The Blues are back. Suck it Syd!!!

They're going to win it all this year!!! :D:D:D:D

enjoy the moment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Saders had a real off day. Tahs looked okay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Where are the chiefs pulling this performance out of?

Major statement by the Chiefs today.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Major statement by the Chiefs today.

Major statement by the reds as well.

38 - 14 win over the brumbies.

Some very surprising results in the comp this season so far.... And if it keeps going like this we could have the closest battle for conference and wild card places in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

Chiefs always had a squad on paper that was better than their results earlier this season implied. Good to see they are building confidence, would hate for them to fall into a slump for the entire season. Luke Jacobson had a good impact, not sure if he was injured earlier in the season or just not preferred by the coaches.

The up and down nature of the league continues with the Crusaders smashing hurricanes in wellington.

• Advertisement

The up and down nature of the league continues with the Crusaders smashing hurricanes in wellington.

Crusaders are so strong !
    If they cant beat you up front they have the kicking game to turn you and keep you under pressure. if that doenst work they have a back line that can scythe through the bets of them.
    their set piece is very strong and their defense is rabid.

they made the hurricanes look like a rag tag bunch this morning. i though chase tiatia might have been in line for an all black call up but the saders exposed serious deficiencies in his game.

awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Sunwolves win against the Waratahs. Haven't seen the Wolves this season until now. I was surprised they were getting shut down considering they were actually starting to show some potential but it seems like there are not many Japanese players at all.

The commentor dropped a stat during play that the Sunwolves have used over 100 players in their 2 and bit years of Super Rugby

Sunwolves win against the Waratahs. Haven't seen the Wolves this season until now. I was surprised they were getting shut down considering they were actually starting to show some potential but it seems like there are not many Japanese players at all.

The commentor dropped a stat during play that the Sunwolves have used over 100 players in their 2 and bit years of Super Rugby

over 150 was the figure i heard during the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Having seen a few Super games lately the standard isn't great. A lot of mediocre players, poor handling and poor defence. They have lost too many players to the NH.

They would be better off going back to Super 12 or similar.

You will have a season like that where a lot of players went to Europe for the money and new players come in to the set up too quickly.
    Next year it'll be back to the level it was at with the young players having a years experience.

Haven't seen today's games yet but can't say I've ever heard the SR comp being criticised for poor handling. The North likes to say that the defense is bad but the reality is the attack is just so good that it makes the defense look bad. Defense only looks good in the NH because the ball carriers just run straight at the tackler.
    :D

Haven't seen today's games yet but can't say I've ever heard the SR comp being criticised for poor handling. The North likes to say that the defense is bad but the reality is the attack is just so good that it makes the defense look bad. Defense only looks good in the NH because the ball carriers just run straight at the tackler.

Super Rugby has been criticized for since the inception by some in the NH as having bad defence, yet the SR countries have created multiple world cup winning sides. I never bought that line, as you say - is it bad defence or good attack?

I do agree the standard of some players has dropped with the number of SH players playing up north, although for every inferior replacement there seems to be a superior young gun replacing an older player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

hahashake wrote: »
    Super Rugby has been criticized for since the inception by some in the NH as having bad defence, yet the SR countries have created multiple world cup winning sides. I never bought that line, as you say - is it bad defence or good attack?

I do agree the standard of some players has dropped with the number of SH players playing up north, although for every inferior replacement there seems to be a superior young gun replacing an older player.

World cup scorelines nearly always more closely resemble northern hemisphere score lines. To me that suggests that southern hemisphere teams can't defend.

troyzer wrote: »
    World cup scorelines nearly always more closely resemble northern hemisphere score lines. To me that suggests that southern hemisphere teams can't defend.

7 out of 8 suggests they can.

Besides, there are multiple exceptions to the low scoring cliché. 87, 99 and 2015 finals all had one side scoring roughly 30 points or more.

Yeah_Right wrote:

I'd be in agreement. I'd live to see a world club rugby competition every couple of years. I think Crusaders and the Hurricanes would beat any NH team.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'd be in agreement. I'd live to see a world club rugby competition every couple of years. I think Crusaders and the Hurricanes would beat any NH team.

Crusaders v Saracens in the final. The winner gets the Middle East.

Great win for the Blues this morning. I think they made over 170 tackles to keep the Stormers tryless. What was that about SR teams not being able to defend?

Great win for the Blues this morning. I think they made over 170 tackles to keep the Stormers tryless. What was that about SR teams not being able to defend?

Exception that proves the rule :D

Nah, they were very good, well worth the win. Still can't figure how akira isn't a main stay of the all black team

Crusaders have started to remove the knight and Castle regalia and have contracted a marketing company to assess the need for a complete rebrand. I assume that company is going to be tasked with consulting with the community including those affected and make suggestions. That could very well be that the Islamic community of Christchurch don't want a name change particularly strongly and they keep the name. That is uncertain.

I have to say fair play to the Crusaders for how they've responded. Initially I wanted them to act fast, but maybe that Islamic community actually don't want to feel like theyre in some way responsible for changing the name, but instead want to have a quick dialogue about reclaiming the meaning? Like the way the ANC didn't destroy the Springboks (maybe not perfectly analogous but not a completely stretch).

Seems wisdom has prevailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

errlloyd wrote: »
    Crusaders have started to remove the knight and Castle regalia and have contracted a marketing company to assess the need for a complete rebrand. I assume that company is going to be tasked with consulting with the community including those affected and make suggestions. That could very well be that the Islamic community of Christchurch don't want a name change particularly strongly and they keep the name. That is uncertain.

I have to say fair play to the Crusaders for how they've responded. Initially I wanted them to act fast, but maybe that Islamic community actually don't want to feel like theyre in some way responsible for changing the name, but instead want to have a quick dialogue about reclaiming the meaning? Like the way the ANC didn't destroy the Springboks (maybe not perfectly analogous but not a completely stretch).

Seems wisdom has prevailed.

I absolutely applaud it. Fair play to them. Biting the bullet and taking a wider perspective.

Exception that proves the rule :D

Nah, they were very good, well worth the win. Still can't figure how akira isn't a main stay of the all black team

He's still young. 23 I think. If he maintains his form, I could see him getting in the AB squad this season. Hopefully he will be another Jerome Kaino. JK made his AB debut when he was 20 or 21 IIRC. But he didnt establish himself as an AB regular for a few years. Read is leaving after the RWC so that might be Akira's chance.

For those who havent seen hayden parkers conversion last weekend...

check it out at 3:40 here.

he has kicked 27 from 27 so far this season... and he was 48 from 50 last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

For those who havent seen hayden parkers conversion last weekend...

check it out at 3:40 here.

he has kicked 27 from 27 so far this season... and he was 48 from 50 last year

lovely conversion and good win - Why are the SunWolves being cut from Super league ?

Thought world rugby wants to grow game, maybe not

thebaz wrote: »
    lovely conversion and good win - Why are the SunWolves being cut from Super league ?

The boks are still salty after the last World Cup....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

lovely conversion and good win - Why are the SunWolves being cut from Super league?

Backers of sunwolves not committing any more. Finance is an issue and it isnt about world rugby not wanting to grow game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Backers of sunwolves not committing any more. Finance is an issue and it isnt about world rugby not wanting to grow game

who makes the decision to cull team ?

I always think smaller rugby nations never get a proper chance to come up - Italy for sure given a chance , but Argentina really the only new power in world rugby past 20 years.

I had heard that it was a combination of South Africa complaining about the travel and the subwolves being charged 5 million that the other franchises where not but who knows

I had heard that it was a combination of South Africa complaining about the travel and the subwolves being charged 5 million that the other franchises where not but who knows

Pretty much.

It was reported that sanazaar was looking for 1 billion yen ($8 million) from the Sunwolves to stay in the competition to cover travel costs, which japenese rugby wouldn't under write. Its also reported that the South Africans threatened to cut the broadcasting income to the other two unions if they stayed in the Comp. SA had the highest viewing figures by far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

who makes the decision to cull team ?

I always think smaller rugby nations never get a proper chance to come up - Italy for sure given a chance , but Argentina really the only new power in world rugby past 20 years.
    But it isnt world rugby its sanzar and mix of issues around money and travel

Let's not forget that the Japanese Top League is already a thriving competition with 16 teams. From the JRFU perspective, the Sunwolves are surplus to their needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

hahashake wrote: »
    Let's not forget that the Japanese Top League is already a thriving competition with 16 teams. From the JRFU perspective, the Sunwolves are surplus to their needs.

Sunwolves don't have a massive fan base either, and companies are pumping huge money into Top League teams so the JRFU know that's the money maker for them.

Very enjoyable game in now between highlanders and hurricanes.

Very enjoyable game in now between highlanders and hurricanes.

at least we went down with our boots on......

our decision making at times with ball in hand has been poor though.
    dont off load from the ground while your on your back and isolated !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

A lot of players are guilty of this and it's really infuriating. It's annoying that you've made a good break and are now going to lose possession but I reckon you're pretty much always better off giving up a penalty then flinging the ball in the air on a wing and a prayer for the opposition to grab it 99% of the time and go barreling down the pitch for a huge gain or a try because your team has no defensive line set.

Hard luck Syd. It was an enjoyable game to watch as a neutral. Frizzel seems to be putting his hand up for the ABs. Felt he had the better of his battle with Fafita. I thought Ardie Savea had a good match. He is some player.

And most importantly, the Blues won again!!

• Advertisement

Hard luck Syd. It was an enjoyable game to watch as a neutral. Frizzel seems to be putting his hand up for the ABs. Felt he had the better of his battle with Fafita. I thought Ardie Savea had a good match. He is some player.

And most importantly, the Blues won again!!

Tahs beat crusaders, blues beat tahs.

Ergo blues better than crusaders ;)

Good to see Sam cane cleared for contact training after his neck break.

When it's not your day. Rebels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,223 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I hope we get gifs of the most recent Chiefs try soon. An offload went to ground and the receiving Chiefs players kicked up up to himself GAA style and continued his run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Clegg wrote: »
    I hope we get gifs of the most recent Chiefs try soon. An offload went to ground and the receiving Chiefs players kicked up up to himself GAA style and continued his run.

https://twitter.com/CianTracey1/status/1117025153504829441?s=20

Dunno whats going on in super rugby this season....

Sharks destroy the lions away from home one week.... And are been beaten at home today by the jaguares 10-36 currently.
    Form is all over the place

Ended 17 - 51!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Ended 17 - 51!

Close game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Clegg wrote: »

Leinster fans’ favourite player left Racing for the Chiefs... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Sevu Reece has put in some really top class performances for the Crusaders.

The IRFU/Connacht were 100% correct to cancel his contract given the circumstances, but if it hadn't all gone down it'd be interesting to think of how he'd have faired with Connacht in comparison.

• Advertisement
Advertisement