Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People that take up a seat on the bus for their bag

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

Keyzer wrote: »
    Why can't you just ask them to move the f*cking thing versus posting it on web - christ on a f*cking bike.

I did. But thought I'd share my experience with the good people of AH. That ok with you chief?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Boxing.Fan wrote:
    I did. But thought I'd share my experience with the good people of AH. That ok with you chief?

Indeed so. This is exactly what boards is for. Or do we all need some kind of permission from Keyser to offer an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

I was thinking of making this topic for weeks. Glad you did.

Here's my reasoning. I had this debate with a friend. They said they don't like people sitting beside people so they leave a bag there. And to respond to Keyzer's comment above "Why can't you just ask them to move the f*cking thing versus posting it on web" I said, I hate being forced in to the social interaction to ask or gesture for someone to move the bag. Why put the onus on me? That amounts to: I'm going to keep farting until you tell me to stop.

The seat and the right to sit down I think will trump anyone's will to not want anyone to sit down beside them. You just look like an inconsiderate ****.

And people do this **** at morning rush hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It's not to your credit that you don't have an issue with ignorant, selfish pig behaviour. Which is what it is.

Selfish people still have eyes to see for themselves. If seating is scarce enough they should remove their bags, but they don't do it.

It doesn't have to be a pregnant woman or an old person, either. No-one who haspaid for their seat should have to get involved in asking the question.

Not everyone is assertive enough to ask anyway, and I think the selfish c**** play on that.

*Newsflash* Unless you prebook on a train, no one in Ireland pays for a seat. It’s the same fare whether there are seats or not.

The decent thing for an abled bodied person to do is to give up the seat for someone who needs it more. The elderly person , assuming they have a sense of civic responsibilty, should be affored some courtesy ,and it is right they have free travel after a life time of working. You might one day appreciate someone younger being kind to you in your old age.

I’m not ageist or sexist. So I treat the elderly and the pregnant exactly as I would expect to be treated. You either get a seat or you don’t. No one would be getting up to let me sit down.

• Advertisement

Agree. It is courtesy and good manners.

But the thread is about idiots who think that they HAVE PURCHASED A SEAT FOR THEIR BAG! Which I find hilarious and very annoying. But I don't tolerate it anymore now when the mode of transport is full whilst I have to stand and the bag gets a seat. :pac:

I know this is a slight reach, but if you asked someone to move their bag and they pulled out 2 tickets and said they had purchased a seat for their bag too, would you expect them to move it or no?? Or if they bought two tickets to keep the seat free for their significant other who is getting on in a few stops?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I know this is a slight reach, but if you asked someone to move their bag and they pulled out 2 tickets and said they had purchased a seat for their bag too, would you expect them to move it or no?? Or if they bought two tickets to keep the seat free for their significant other who is getting on in a few stops?

Did you not just kindly explain that you do not purchase a ticket for a seat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I’m not ageist or sexist. So I treat the elderly and the pregnant exactly as I would expect to be treated. You either get a seat or you don’t. No one would be getting up to let me sit down.
    Because - wild guess - you're not old or pregnant, both of which can cause discomfort when standing.

Nice attempt at justifying selfish rude behaviour though.

You pay for YOUR seat, not a seat for your bags aswell. Why do people not get this fact?

You pay for YOUR journey from A to B. Why do people not get this fact?? Dublin Bus is not obliged to seat you. The fare is no cheaper if all of the seats are gone.

jester77 wrote: »
    I saw an incident here in Hamburg where someone was taking up a second seat with their bags. A controller boarded and asked to see her second ticket :pac:

I assume they still do this - but Ryanair had a bus between Frankfurt Hahn airport and Frankfurt Central. Kids under a certain age travel free.

When the bus is full there is a subset of people who know this policy - and so will go up to parents with such children demanding to see the ticket the child in the seat has.

Which of course you can not produce so they start demanding the small child - a large toddler in my case - stand or sit on your lap. The lap that is already full of luggage since the bus provides feck all luggage space.

Happened to me which I was able to handle - but saw it also happen to a single mother with three kids and three bags in tow who was already suffering and flustered without an angry fat german man shouting at her demanding tickets and seat emptying. She was barely coping as it was.

• Advertisement

Did you not just kindly explain that you do not purchase a ticket for a seat?

I did, but if you read the post I was replying to you’ll see that they had asked ‘Did you buy a second ticket for your bag’. Reading is fun.

Because - wild guess - you're not old or pregnant, both of which can cause discomfort when standing.

Nice attempt at justifying selfish rude behaviour though.

No, I’m woke. So I treat everyone equally.

When i'm on a bus and I'm travelling to work. I don't want someone's precious bag riding in comfort cause ***** are too inconsiderate to put the bag on their lap. I paid on to the bus. I know there are seats there. Just seats occupied by selfish prick's bags.

I don't want to have to ask someone to move their bag. I don't want to interact with you. Lots of people don't want to interact with you. I see it all the time. People coming up looking for seats, think they see a seat but there's a bag and the move on. People need to accept that they don't want to ask you to move your bag. So leaving your bag there is going on the offence. It's part of the problem. Sit with you bag on your lap or between your legs.

This isn't about whether paying you pay for a seat or not. This is about people being inconsiderate not to put their bag on their lap.

And a good portion of us will think its wankerish behaviour. And I make a point now to sit beside people that leave their bags on the seat. It's the only way I can get some recourse.

Bags on the seat. Loud ***** on phones and people that litter the bus and all go **** themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

The bags are on the seat and left there to ensure every other second seat is taken before that seat.

They then move the bag.

I generally just move it for them. Pick it up and hand it to them.

"Sorry, here you go, thanks." Plonk.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,930 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You are entitled to monopolize and use one free seat.

Who is sitting in the seats that you are not, or who is wanting to use a certain seat that may be in close proximity to you is none of your business. It’s ‘public’ transport that you have selected to use therefore you have the same entitlement as any of the public..to take and use one seat should one be free of someone sitting there.

Many people in society have a ‘need’ to sit in addition to an entitlement, that might not be completely obvious from looking at them but it could be due to a medical condition that in truth, nobody wants to have to explain to some rotten to the core ‘bag wanker’ they just want to sit in maximum comfort and safety for the duration of their journey as they are entitled to do.

If it’s a 23 year old fitness fanatic / Olympian guess what, they are entitled to the very same, on the way to or from the gym she or he is allowed and entitled to sit down in comfort, relaxed, instead of standing looking at some inbred, ignorant, horrible dipstick hogging two seats for themselves.

NOBODY should have to lower themselves to the level of having to enter into negotiations with this class of low life about achieving what they are entitled to, a seat on a bus.

Sad in a way that we are even forced to have this conversation in this country but hardly surprising from what we are seeing in general these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

The bags are on the swat and left there to ensure every other second seat is taken before that seat.

They then move the bag.

I generally just move it for them. Pick it up and hand it to them.

"Sorry, here you go, thanks." Plonk.

Oh I am sorry sir, that's not a bag, its your fat child. Carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

Strumms wrote: »
    You are entitled to monopolize and use one free seat.

Who is sitting in the seats that you are not, or who is wanting to use a certain seat that may be in close proximity to you is none of your business. It’s ‘public’ transport that you have selected to use therefore you have the same entitlement as any of the public..to take and use one seat should one be free of someone sitting there.

Many people in society have a ‘need’ to sit in addition to an entitlement, that might not be completely obvious from looking at them but it could be due to a medical condition that in truth, nobody wants to have to explain to some rotten to the core ‘bag wanker’ they just want to sit in maximum comfort and safety for the duration of their journey as they are entitled to do.

If it’s a 23 year old fitness fanatic / Olympian guess what, they are entitled to the very same, on the way to or from the gym she or he is allowed and entitled to sit down in comfort, relaxed, instead of standing looking at some in-bread, ignorant, horrible dipstick hogging two seats for themselves.

NOBODY should have to lower themselves to the level of having to enter into negotiations with this class of low life about achieving what they are entitled to, a seat on a bus.

Sad in a way that we are even forced to have this conversation in this country but hardly surprising from what we are seeing in general these days.

“In-bread” and ignorant, you say...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Just sit behind them and throw peanuts at them

“In-bread” and ignorant, you say...

Yes , a slip of the finger which I have now corrected thanks to your most kind and timely intervention. I should use my loaf more.

Strumms wrote: »
    Yes , a slip of the finger which I have now corrected thanks to your most kind and timely intervention. I should use my loaf more.

No problem, I’m just here browsing me phone with the bag up on the seat, and I was trying to look busy cause an aul one was eyeing it.

• Advertisement

No problem, I’m just here browsing me phone with the bag up on the seat, and I was trying to look busy cause an aul one was eyeing it.

You should start eyeing her, that will show her, up AND down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I only do this when the bus/train/luas is nearly empty otherwise my bag sits on my lap.

If I get on and there are very few seats left I’ll make a point of heading for the person hogging two seats just to make a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kg703

antix80 wrote: »
    I'm on the bus right now, sitting on the outside with my bag on the inside.
    I'd move it if asked. The way I see it, there's plenty of free seats including 2 together further down the bus.

If the bus fills up I'll use the bag tactically to avoid sitting beside someone fat or who looks like they might have B.O problems or talk loudly on their phone. By avoiding eye contact people tend to keep walking, while if someone looks more amicable I'll kindly offer the free seat.

Is this a joke, I hope it is.... the bag on the inside person on the outside is 100% worse offender. Plus it’s not your seat to offer in the first.

I would sit beside you on purpose and fart :D

Oh yeah. I bus to work on a school route every morning. Secondary school girls appear to be the worst offenders. They put their bags on the inside seat and avoid eye contact with anyone. I've asked for the seat many times, the huffing and sighing that goes on is comical. I do try remember that I was once that age myself but feck they wreck my head.

They are saving it for a mate

The bags on the seat is just one of many of things that people are doing to be disrespectful.

Standards on the bus are really being lowered because I think we're quite non-confrontational. People are openly, playing music on their phones now too, and watching videos on their phone without earphones. I'm not talking about teens, I'm talking about grown adults. I didn't get on the bus to listen to your ****. Why are you pushing it on me? This is a small, tight space. Let me ride as much of it in peace without your bull****.

Another annoying thing is that people are starting to think the bus is a good place to phone home on WhatsApp to their country and have a shouting match - no room-voice, no inside voice at all. Can you not have that conversation when you get off the bus?

How is it hard to not just get on, sit down, shut up, look out the window, look at your phone and keep quiet. If you have a bag, put it on your lap so you don't put pressure on people to negotiate a seat after a long hard day at work.

It's simple:

People want seats to sit down.
    Every time you leave a bag on a seat you occupy a two seats (presuming you are sitting down too)
    If 10 or 15 people leave bags on seats, that's 20 or 30 seats gone.
    Each person with a bag on a seat is thinking.. "ah sure the bus isn't completely full." or.. "if they ask, I'll move it."
    Meanwhile, people don't want to ask. They don't want he forced interaction with you.
    People want to get on, sit down and go about their business.

Can all be avoided if everyone just put their bag on their lap or on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I bring a bag on the bus sometimes if I've go expensive gear in it, I've been on buses where bags have been lifted from the side. I'll keep it beside me and if I notice the bus filling up I'll stick it on the floor in front of me. What bothers me about buses is people having loud, inane conversations or clobs playing music so loud it can be heard outside their headphones.

The bags on the seat is just one of many of things that people are doing to be disrespectful.

How is it hard to not just get on, sit down, shut up, look out the window, look at your phone and keep quiet. If you have a bag, put it on your lap so you don't put pressure on people to negotiate a seat

It's simple:

People want seats to sit down.
    Every time you leave a bag on a seat you occupy a two seats (presuming you are sitting down too)
    If 10 or 15 people leave bags on seats, that's 20 or 30 seats gone.
    Each person with a bag on a seat is thinking.. "ah sure the bus isn't completely full." or.. "if they ask, I'll move it."
    Meanwhile, people don't want to ask. They don't want he forced interaction with you.
    People want to get on, sit down and go about their business.

Can all be avoided if everyone just put their bag on their lap or on the floor.

Well said ^

When I’m done with work I’m finished negotiating and trying to encourage fûckwits to do what they should be doing. I don’t want a random conversation with some joker who is that self absorbed he thinks his bag and belongings are deserving of a seat at the potential disruption, disrespect and wellbeing of a tired commuter.

The real problem here is that Irish buses are poor at providing safe places to leave bags. There is a small area at the front of Dublin Bus downstairs, and I think that’s it. I wouldn’t feel comfortable leaving a bag there unless I can sit downstairs too. Anyone could just casually lift it as they get off. They should have more racks. I usually keep my bag on my lap but if it’s unusually bulky and that’s not comfortable, I’ll leave it on the seat and move it if the bus fills up. Floor can get vey wet on rainy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

About the music thing, I was on a 17a a couple of weeks ago and some gob****e was playing music on his phone downstairs. The bus driver stopped at a bus stop and announced unless the music was stopped he wasnt driving any further. I've only had good experiences with the go ahead service. So far anyway.

• Advertisement

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    About the music thing, I was on a 17a a couple of weeks ago and some gob****e.

The 17A and gob****es to hand in hand, I used to have to use that route to attend a college course I was doing and the day there wasn’t some sort of ‘event’ was the exception. It traverses a good number of areas where ‘education’ struggled historically to impact the communities let’s say.

Advertisement