Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity summer series 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Amazing sound, short queues, great weather, good setlist.

Best Monday I've had in ages.

Roll on Janelle monae on wens.

Great venue. Just the right amount of people.

I'd agree on the music side of things. Band were excellent, really tight. Setlist top notch too.

But the crowd...

I hear it on boards alot about talking at gigs, haven't really experienced it too bad at any gig.

But tonight was ridiculously bad, we moved 3 times to get away but it never let up. Worst shower of **** I've ever witnessed at a gig, and I've been to a lot. My mate thought the same. Left before encore finished, we had enough at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

What were the times, on at 9 and wrapping up around 10:30?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Hurrache wrote: »
    What were the times, on at 9 and wrapping up around 10:30?

On at 8.30, off at 10.30 almost to the dot....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

LowOdour wrote: »
    I'd agree on the music side of things. Band were excellent, really tight. Setlist top notch too.

But the crowd...

I hear it on boards alot about talking at gigs, haven't really experienced it too bad at any gig.

But tonight was ridiculously bad, we moved 3 times to get away but it never let up. Worst shower of **** I've ever witnessed at a gig, and I've been to a lot. My mate thought the same. Left before encore finished, we had enough at that stage.

No i hear you, they were very bad.

I mean right amount of people in the sense of not being too crowded.

But it was a crowd of yuppies.

Seeing actual fans singing along gave me to momentum to carry on. But it was amazing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

lovely stuff, foals tomorrow for me,
    whats the beverage options? anything decent?

cheers

heini, bier moretti, applemans cider? jameson stand. good selection of food, great venue.

• Advertisement

lovely stuff, foals tomorrow for me,
    whats the beverage options? anything decent?

cheers

Heineken, applemens cider, birra moretti in pints, then various mixed drinks and an old fashioned stall....

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Thoroughly enjoyed that, but agreed on the crowd. Why would you spend 50 quid on a ticket just so you could ignore the band and chat with your mates for the entire gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lc180

Gig of the year (so far) for me! Delightful stuff

Zaph wrote: »
    Thoroughly enjoyed that, but agreed on the crowd. Why would you spend 50 quid on a ticket just so you could ignore the band and chat with your mates for the entire gig?

Happened last year with Bryan Ferry (at least)- some absolute "so-and-so" (I got boards.ie site banned in the past for using the name I want to use here...!!! ;)) beside me- same thing but worse but luckily I was front stage with security beside me- they put her right early on. Well done security!!

Was a great concert as a result. I suppose it's been happening since the Beatles toured but it in general, is this a recent thing? I don't think so, nearly every concert I've been to over the last 20 years I've experienced this- guess it depends where you are and ability to move around i.e. standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ngunners

I was pleasantly surprised by the crowd actually. Not too much chatting at all around me. No messy drunks. Most people seemed into the music. Good vibes generally.

As for the band, they were excellent. The way they've transformed into a loose, relaxed, request-taking jam band is astonishing really when you consider the tight, punky band they started out as.

Highlights: Hannah Hunt, Giving up the Gun and Walcott (what a great closer). But honestly I really enjoyed nearly every song.

Lowlights: I thought A-Punk lacked a bit of punch. And Ezra turned down the opportunity to rap.

Overall, a near perfect gig. Hopefully they'll be back to Ireland soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I've always thought people on here were over reacting, when complaining about talkers at gigs.
    I wholeheartedly apologise because I now agree.
    Worst crowd I've seen for talkers, snapchatting and instagramming.
    Thankfully, there was some people there that were fans.
    Great set, nice venue, nice dancing, good sound and good weather.
    Hopefully they don't leave it as long to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

What a wonderful evening; fantastic setup and the sound is fantastic in there. Band were tight, weather was fantastic and a gigantic worm wriggled its way onto the white plastic.

A nice lad emptied his cup and released the poor thing onto the grass - if you see this; good guy you! :)

The crowd was the strangest I've ever witnessed, non stop yappering, group shots, selfies and oddly dressed (sorry, not sorry)

Also left early, as it felt kinda braindead.

You can't really hear the band outside of Trinity either, so not like you can lurk around for free anyway.

Looking forward to the Stereophonics now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Agree with most of the above. Thought the sound was a little ropey at the start - bass way too loud for a few songs but it settled pretty sharp and was good afterwards. Crowd around me seemed into it for the first few tracks and then when they hit the new stuff, the talking started. We moved around and found a better spot but it was very bad in a few areas.

Loved Ya Hey, Walcott, This Life, How Long and plenty more. Thought Big Blue fell totally flat, which is a shame as its a lovely song. The talkers made Unbearably White hard to hear too - that was the cue to move.

I'm a big fan of the new stuff so to get Flower Moon and Jerusalem, New York, Berlin to round out the set was great.

Good encore - just wish the lads in the bucket hats hadn't wasted the request on Giving up the Gun! It went down well, though.

Good set up. When we arrived, the queue for the bar was absolutely massive but it moved quickly and there was two security pulling people out when they tried to skip in, which helped the situation. If they keep that up, it'll all flow well all week. Overall, no major complaints bar the talkers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Were there decent food stalls, and how were the queues for them?
    Undecided about heading straight there and getting food and chilling inside, or stopping somewhere on the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭fillup

heini, bier moretti, applemans cider? jameson stand. good selection of food, great venue.

Rival l 3

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭keepwalking

Were there decent food stalls, and how were the queues for them?
    Undecided about heading straight there and getting food and chilling inside, or stopping somewhere on the way...

There were 3 food stands - a pizza roll place, a BBQ/burger place and Garden of Vegan. Not a huge number of options but I've always found GOV decent. We got in at about 8pm and none of them were too busy then. I very much enjoyed a veggie burger and a pint of Applemans before the gig started! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Cant wait for the day that a decent craft beer or two is available its the 21st Century ffs.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Cant wait for the day that a decent craft beer or two is available its the 21st Century ffs.

I was surprised that there wasn't Lagunitas IPA available on the Heineken stand, especially as it's becoming increasingly common in pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mgkelly

Amazing sound, short queues, great weather, good setlist.

Best Monday I've had in ages.

Roll on Janelle monae on wens.

Great venue. Just the right amount of people.
    Absolutely! Wonderful evening! Band were great. I was so thrilled that my daughter got in ok. What's more, on the way out, she saidv"That was good!" - she's just 16, remember! A very positive response. Grew up on a diet of the usual current stuff, but has a bit of wisdom/nous to realise there's a bit more out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

How many entrances are there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Vwwv19

Were they checking at the gates to make sure the name was on the ticket? Were they checking to see if people were 18+?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

2 Entrances that converge to 1 queue, both on the west side of the Campus.

I don't think they were checking names. Just scanned the ticket. Not sure about ages as I'm clearly over 18. Bags we're being lightly searched. I saw other people had "Security checked" tags put on their bags but I didn't have 1 put on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mgkelly

Vwwv19 wrote: »
    Were they checking at the gates to make sure the name was on the ticket? Were they checking to see if people were 18+?
    So, my daughter is clearly under 18. No questions asked. Saw one or two others who looked young like her. And no check of the ticket w.r.t. name. All very hassle free.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭keepwalking

2 Entrances that converge to 1 queue, both on the west side of the Campus.

I don't think they were checking names. Just scanned the ticket. Not sure about ages as I'm clearly over 18. Bags we're being lightly searched. I saw other people had "Security checked" tags put on their bags but I didn't have 1 put on mine.

There was a little bit of a backlog in searching handbags when we were coming in, but it moved pretty quickly. My tiny bag didn't get a tag either.

The only people who looked very young that I noticed were children with their parents/accompanying adults. They may be a bit stricter with the over 18s thing if a big gang of young people were going in I guess :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭LowOdour

This stuff is bafffling...unless I'm missing something, most concerts/festivals sell piss.

So either you are looking for the availability of good quality craft beer, which will cost a fortune and everyone will bitch about the price.

Or, the craft beer will be a piss tasting version of what you normally get, and everyone will bitch about the taste!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭fourmations

LowOdour wrote: »
    This stuff is bafffling...unless I'm missing something, most concerts/festivals sell piss.

So either you are looking for the availability of good quality craft beer, which will cost a fortune and everyone will bitch about the price.

Or, the craft beer will be a piss tasting version of what you normally get, and everyone will bitch about the taste!

each to their own, variety is the spice of life and all that,
    i'd certainly rather a pissy porter or ale than a pissy heineken!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I presume you can pay by card at the bars

I presume you can pay by card at the bars

yeah, all contactless as well. actually seemed shocked when i paid with cash....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

hynesie08 wrote: »
    yeah, all contactless as well. actually seemed shocked when i paid with cash....

Ill prob only have 1 or 2 but the first pint will be paid by the change in my pocket ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

hynesie08 wrote: »

ha, same here. and then almost needed to get out a calculator to add up the total for 4 drinks. :pac:

Advertisement