Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel versus farmer. Rte1 now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

****sake things are bad enough without showing that fr cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,117 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

****sake things are bad enough without showing that fr cow.
    That's Monica!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

That's Monica!

Fine actress.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,893 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Christ I hate untidy setups. And unnecessary hoarding, makes my teeth itch.

Knew a few ould lads like this, thought they were all gone. Looks like there's still a few left.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,175 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Knew a few ould lads like this, thought they were all gone. Looks like there's still a few left.

So who gets it all when he goes?

If he has no family that is?

Imagine it being left to a distant nephew, and he'd have it sold to Intel and the IDA before the end of the day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Fair play to Thomas Reid.

Great song at the end too

https://youtu.be/4xmckWVPRaI

NIMAN wrote: »
    So who gets it all when he goes?

If he has no family that is?

Imagine it being left to a distant nephew, and he'd have it sold to Intel and the IDA before the end of the day!

You can't take it with you.

Lads like this won't change until they're loaded into the box. A bit sad tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭amacca

me too but at the end of the day as long as no one is harmed etc isn't he entitled to hoard whatever the **** he likes in his own place.

I couldn't stand it myself but Id be of the opinion id be willing to fight to defend his right to hoard as he sees fit etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

That's Monica!

There once was a cow name Monica
    Who learned how to play the harmonica.
    The tongue is the key
    To her virtuosity.
    Just ask her girlfriend, Veronica.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

You can guarantee he has a few hundred thousand or more in the bank (or even in cash). The 10 million wouldn't have mattered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Bizarre film, opportunity lost I feel for him to tell his story.

Instead we had footage of him eating bananas, buying bananas and walking around the farm feeding cattle.

Not sure what story they were trying to tell, they painted a weird picture of him and why they had to show the injured cow being put down and carted away is beyond me.

Not sure how it won awards , didn’t do anything for me.

Fair fncks to him for giving those cnuts in the IDA a kick in the balls.

Now that it's over I hope he gets a skip in and gets back to his life.

Disappointed, they didn't play out the credits with that song. I would have been raging in the cinema if that happened.

Shelflife wrote: »

Instead we had footage of him eating bananas, buying bananas and walking around the farm feeding cattle.

Agree. Never learnt anything about him apart from the chat about aunt Nancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Looks like the house and sheds had been pretty nice at one point in time. What the hell were they doing with gbe cow when dragging it by the neck

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

He's lodged right between Carton house and Intel on the Leixlip Maynooth road. Prime location alright.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

He'll be put out by the dept before the IDA get around to it if he doesn't get the act together.

Brilliant! I’m still laughing. Imagine if despite all his introvertidness that it was letting the cameras that fooked him

Not sure what story they were trying to tell, they painted a weird picture of him and why they had to show the injured cow being put down and carted away is beyond me.

I got that- and in some respects I agree with you- and also, maybe that his land was his parents land, and that he felt a "duty" to it.

I've seen similar behaviour simply over a house, no less land- but who am I to judge him. there are a lot of people like him throughout Ireland tending to land, or maintaining a house, for better or worse, that their parents attended to- and nothing will change them from their ways-the one differentiating factor in this case, is that his land was worth multiples of what land might be elsewhere in the country.

There are obvious questions around the hoarding of newspapers and what not, going back to the 80's- the references to Dallas were bizarre and I'd have a few questions to ask the producers/directors of this film, but maybe this was a way of portraying some sort of story (I'm very familiar with Dallas TV show from 80s etc so don't need to have the cliff barnes/Yewings feud explained to me- but still I'd have questions to the producers on including that and how it came about)

I'm not going to "label" him- or indeed "judge" him- he participated in this film so will be subject to criticism- rightly or wrongly - my only point is that i feel he may be classed as a "vulnerable adult"- IMHO-which is protected by law.

But yeah, was this a film about "make your own mind up" or something? I'm not sure it hit the right note in this circumstance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

I got that- and in some respects I agree with you- and also, maybe that his land was his parents land, and that he felt a "duty" to it.

I've seen similar behaviour simply over a house, no less land- but who am I to judge him. there are a lot of people like him throughout Ireland tending to land, or maintaining a house, for better or worse, that their parents attended to- and nothing will change them from their ways-the one differentiating factor in this case, is that his land was worth multiples of what land might be elsewhere in the country.

There are obvious questions around the hoarding of newspapers and what not, going back to the 80's- the references to Dallas were bizarre and I'd have a few questions to ask the producers/directors of this film, but maybe this was a way of portraying some sort of story (I'm very familiar with Dallas TV show from 80s etc so don't need to have the cliff barnes/Yewings feud explained to me- but still I'd have questions to the producers on including that and how it came about)

I'm not going to "label" him- or indeed "judge" him- he participated in this film so will be subject to criticism- rightly or wrongly - my only point is that i feel he may be classed as a "vulnerable adult"- IMHO-which is protected by law.

But yeah, was this a film about "make your own mind up" or something? I'm not sure it hit the right note in this circumstance.

Was the film maker try to show that things were ok with him in 80/90s and went down hill with the intel/IDA bulling of him over greed and stating 5 other farms were suitable but were never approached and he was targeted.
    The striking thing is he is only 55 years of age and looks healthy and could live for a long time. The IDA have a lot to answer for in pushing the case and in the end they were wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

No issue with the man or his lifestyle, to each their own. Have to admire him for his stance against the might of the state , which didn’t really come across at all.

Seemed to be more about his alternate lifestyle than the fight against the IDA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Did it not say he's 51? I was shocked he looks well older than that and walks like a proper aul lad

• Advertisement

Seemed to be more about his alternate lifestyle

What's an "alternate lifestyle" ?

yes I'm being pedantic here, but for a reason. Alternate to whom? or who? (I'm not up on grammar)

Point being, there are many many people like this person throughout Ireland. They're not being offered life-changing amounts of money for their land. They're just ordinary people but maybe classed as "alternate" to those not familiar with their circumstance?

No issue with the man or his lifestyle, t

And indeed, I hope I didn't imply that in my post response to you- It wasn't intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I bet you he is a lot happier than some of the big farmers with new jeeps and big tractors and all the latest machinery.He seems happy with his way of life.

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Did it not say he's 51? I was shocked he looks well older than that and walks like a proper aul lad

He has tastes in music other than country n Irish surprisingly enough, even if he hasn't played them in a few decades.

mgn wrote: »
    He seems happy with his way of life.

I think that's the nub here. ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭older by the day

I bet you he is a lot happier than some of the big farmers with new jeeps and big tractors and all the latest machinery.He seems happy with his way of life.

Won't be too happy after his next Bord Bia inspection. Not if he gets the same prick I had the last time. He would get a real hard on if he saw that yard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Maybe so but there is clear evidence of some mild mental issues e.g. state of farm and home, social isolation, extreme attachment to land to the determinant of his own quality of life and hoarding.

He could be happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭148multi

Won't be too happy after his next Bord Bia inspection. Not if he gets the same prick I had the last time. He would get a real hard on if he saw that yard

Once he'd see the rolling stones collection, he'd pass with flying colours, he seems to speak of dallas as if it was reality, but apart from that he is a intelligent man who seems to enjoy the way things are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

i thought he was depressed tbh, not a very happy man at all

• Advertisement

i thought he was depressed tbh, not a very happy man at all

Very much in the Padraig Nally mold.
    PN appeared on TG4 one night, looked like he had Parkinsons his hands were shaking so much, looked very shook too.

These kinds of guys are "happy" enough keeping to themselves, just seems like life passing you by, a life kind of wasted to me.

Advertisement